Agent Oo Soul On John Lennon's Juke Box

macca

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The Beatles also sang Soldiers Of Love, by Arthur Alexander, on the Beatles at the Beeb CD. In their early days, they covered loads of R&B and R&R songs in their stage act, plus cabaret songs like Till There Was You and the Honeymoon Song.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Thanks Geoff

I forgot about Soldier of Love.

Good excuse to pull out my "Beatles at the BBC" Cd's. Just been listening to a live version of "You've Really Got a Hold On Me" - which was on the "With the Beatles" L.P.

They may not be everyone's cup of tea - but I'm a big fan of these Beatles soul/R & B covers.

MB

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I just let this CD play through and towards the end there is some dialogue between Brian Matthews (I think) and Paul McCartney.

BM asks Paul if he has any particular idols who have influenced his singing style.

Answer is: "Elvis, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins and Marvin Gaye - although I can't sing like them."

I wonder if the Beatles were ever around the Ready Steady Go studios when Marvin Gaye appeared??!!

MB

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Yep on an R&B level the Beatles also recorded "Leave My Kitten Alone." Well known record of Little Willie John's.

Suz :thumbup:

x

Suzanne

You certainly know your stuff! :thumbsup:

A regular in Beatles' live performances in the very early 60's. Luckily they made a recording which has cropped up on recent anthologies etc.

IMHO there was much less musical snobbery in the first half of the 60's. Much more cross over beween the different genres.

i.e. British beat groups doing Soul/R & B covers, then Otis doing Satisfaction and Daytripper.

Mind you it didn't always work - viz the first Supremes album on TM - With Love (From Us To You). Four Lennon/McCartney cover on there. Definitely not the Supremes finest hour!!

MB

Social source share

Guest posstot

I saw a programme on terestrial T.V some 5 to 7 years ago, entitled funnily enough, John Lennons juke box. All sorts of RnB soul artists were on. Supposedly the beatles favourite trick was to sample rifts out of RnB tracks within there tunes, all those years ago. I missed the dady rollin stone on there though. Has anybody here actually seen the programme. As the C.D is mentioned, but there is a proggy on this very subject.

Mike

Social source share

I saw a programme on terestrial T.V some 5 to 7 years ago, entitled funnily enough, John Lennons juke box. All sorts of RnB soul artists were on. Supposedly the beatles favourite trick was to sample rifts out of RnB tracks within there tunes, all those years ago. I missed the dady rollin stone on there though. Has anybody here actually seen the programme. As the C.D is mentioned, but there is a proggy on this very subject.

Mike

Yeah, I saw it. Can't remember much about it but I think it featured Richie Barrett - Some Other Guy.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

This page has a picture of the Beatles with Mary Wells.

Click here

In 1964 the Beatles headlined a 26 date U.K. tour. Mary Wells - "direct from AMERICA" - was second on the bill. I've got a picture of a poster here if I can find time to scan it in.

Still intrigued by the Arthur Alexander connection I pulled out my copy of "The Beatles Live!" which purports to list every track the Beatles played - any time - any place.

They list:

Anna (Go To Him). Composer: Alexander. Influential version: Arthur Alexander (1962)

Soldier of Love. Composer: Cason/Moon. Influential version: Arthur Alexander (1962)

A Shot of Rhythm & Blues. Composer: Thompson. Influential version: Arthur Alexander (1961)

Where Have You Been All My Life? Composer: Mann/Weil. Influential version: Arthur Alexander (1962)

I wonder if all these tracks were on one L.P. that the Beatles had somehow got hold of??!!

MB

Social source share

This page has a picture of the Beatles with Mary Wells.

Click here

In 1964 the Beatles headlined a 26 date U.K. tour. Mary Wells - "direct from AMERICA" - was second on the bill. I've got a picture of a poster here if I can find time to scan it in.

Still intrigued by the Arthur Alexander connection I pulled out my copy of "The Beatles Live!" which purports to list every track the Beatles played - any time - any place.

They list:

Anna (Go To Him). Composer: Alexander. Influential version: Arthur Alexander (1962)

Soldier of Love. Composer: Cason/Moon. Influential version: Arthur Alexander (1962)

A Shot of Rhythm & Blues. Composer: Thompson. Influential version: Arthur Alexander (1961)

Where Have You Been All My Life? Composer: Mann/Weil. Influential version: Arthur Alexander (1962)

I wonder if all these tracks were on one L.P. that the Beatles had somehow got hold of??!!

MB

Aren't they the A's and B's of two UK 45s?

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

John

I think you're right - 2/3 singles rather than an L.P.

They appear on the Beatles itinerary in 1962 and they had signed with Epstein in January of that year.

Epstein of course had a record shop in Liverpool so maybe they were raiding his stock for inspiration - or maybe Epstein was pushing certain records their way that he thought would suit their style.

MB

Social source share

John

I think you're right - 2/3 singles rather than an L.P.

They appear on the Beatles itinerary in 1962 and they had signed with Epstein in January of that year.

Epstein of course had a record shop in Liverpool so maybe they were raiding his stock for inspiration - or maybe Epstein was pushing certain records their way that he thought would suit their style.

MB

Epstein's taste in music was more classical than popular , so I doubt that this was the case . Lennon . McCartney and Harrison were well aware of rhythm and blues , before they met him .......

One of the more interesting covers The Beatles did , was the medley of Leiberr & Stoller's " Kansas City " and / with , Little Richard's " Hey Hey Hey Hey " from " Beatles for Sale " , which the latter shows Little Richard's influence on the early vocal styling and phrasing of McCartney ........

I am surprised that no one has mentioned " Money " and " Twist And Shout " ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Here is poster for Beatles tour with Mary Wells as support.

med_gallery_6836_1066_16787.jpg

I guess this must have been the first U.K. tour by any Motown artist.

I know one or two (Supremes/Marvin) came over around this time for promotional/T.V. spots, but no tour of this scale with artists of this calibre.

MB

Social source share

Hi Everyone

The most in depth account of cover versions of US sides by Merseybeat groups is contained in Spencer Leigh's book The Best Of Fellas: The Story Of Bob Wooler. Leigh demonstates in the book that the idea of the Cunard Yanks bringing back sides which then became big in Liverpool is largely a myth. It would appear that most Merseybeat groups heard US recordings via Epstein's shop and others after they received UK release rather than by covering sides they obtained from sailors visiting the States! There are many soul and R&B sides in there.

Cheers

Colin

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert