Venues Shutting

Guest gordon russell

Guest gordon russell

4 venues have shut or are about to in the NORTHANTS,BEDS,CAMBS AND HERTS AREA...l am sure this will be a good thing in the long run.People in these counties have been far too complacent about the good venues that have gone all four have been run by genuine long time soul fans.Whats ya thoughts?.......on the up side 3 new ones are starting up,so are you gonna give em your support? again whats your thoughts?

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Its always a shame when venues close, but I think we're at saturation point............I would personally prefer less venues with more people at the ones that survive..........my musical tastes aside, surely busier venues would create a better atmosphere.

I am chomping at the bit to get back into the promoting game, but within an hour of me, there are several venues already, whilst I beleive that I could add something to the mix, I definitley dont want to split the small crowd further, you could also argue that my music policy probably wouldnt attract the vast majority of locals, I also would prefer to promote a more intimate venue, where the DJ's can play a more eclectic & diverse selection of soul music, to a smaller but 'up for it' crowd, but until the current bubble bursts Im gonna hold tight I think ph34r.gif ...........Im in this for the long haul & eventually it will be the right time, I'll find the right venue, then maybe I can risk my shirt again in an attempt to provide something at least slightly different.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Its always a shame when venues close, but I think we're at saturation point............I would personally prefer less venues with more people at the ones that survive..........my musical tastes aside, surely busier venues would create a better atmosphere.

I am chomping at the bit to get back into the promoting game, but within an hour of me, there are several venues already, whilst I beleive that I could add something to the mix, I definitley dont want to split the small crowd further, you could also argue that my music policy probably wouldnt attract the vast majority of locals, I also would prefer to promote a more intimate venue, where the DJ's can play a more eclectic & diverse selection of soul music, to a smaller but 'up for it' crowd, but until the current bubble bursts Im gonna hold tight I think ph34r.gif ...........Im in this for the long haul & eventually it will be the right time, I'll find the right venue, then maybe I can risk my shirt again in an attempt to provide something at least slightly different.

Russ

These are similar reasons why I have not promoted in a long while , and are because of these , I am taking a long - and hard - look at what happens over the next few months , before I commit myself and my money again ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Said it before in a big, long and very controversial thread about 6 months ago ...

To sweep away all the existing deadwood (ie the old the boring the cynical the narrow minded etc) in one fell swoop....

need one massive weekly all nighter in a big modern venue (ie a real nightclub) in a major city.... 1,500 capacity every week, lots of young new faces and the dedicated older crowd .... only the 4 or 5 best DJs on the scene with a couple of fresh young whippersnappers playing two or three hour sets each of totally across the board stuff (oldies newies rnb modern latin funky soul) ... Simple really !

Boom !!!!

Another rare soul legend is born !!!

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

There's certainly no shortage of "D.J.'s" and I couldn't even begin to imagine what the proportion of "D.J.'s" is to "Non D.J.'ing" customers on our scene, but it must be a lot higher than other music based scenes, is this phenomonon the same on the Rock & Roll/Funk/Mod or whatever scenes? Will less venues mean that more people will be hanging up their headphones, or will they just start new venues? The "cull the crap D.J.'s" is a mantra that all of us like the sound of, but what is a crap D.J. - someone who plays stuff we don't know, plays stuff we do know, plays too much 70's, 60's, R & B, uses the mic too much, doesn't use the mic enough, or is technically brilliant with fabulous records....but is a c**t. Isn't this most peoples honest view of the situation - "less venues is potentially a great thing, if they're the ones playing the stuff I don't want to hear, played by people I percieve as Crap D.J.'s".....................................but that's only an opinion, of which we all have a different one.

Des Parker

Social source share

There's certainly no shortage of "D.J.'s" and I couldn't even begin to imagine what the proportion of "D.J.'s" is to "Non D.J.'ing" customers on our scene, but it must be a lot higher than other music based scenes, is this phenomonon the same on the Rock & Roll/Funk/Mod or whatever scenes? Will less venues mean that more people will be hanging up their headphones, or will they just start new venues? The "cull the crap D.J.'s" is a mantra that all of us like the sound of, but what is a crap D.J. - someone who plays stuff we don't know, plays stuff we do know, plays too much 70's, 60's, R & B, uses the mic too much, doesn't use the mic enough, or is technically brilliant with fabulous records....but is a c**t. Isn't this most peoples honest view of the situation - "less venues is potentially a great thing, if they're the ones playing the stuff I don't want to hear, played by people I percieve as Crap D.J.'s".....................................but that's only an opinion, of which we all have a different one.

Des Parker

Know what you mean Des, but personally from a promoting point of view & again wishing no particular venue or promoter ill, its just a case of giving any new venture I get involved with a fighting chance...........if stuff falls by the wayside naturally, so to speak & there's a niche for me locally I'll have another crack...........this isnt about DJing particularly & definitly not about money (other wise myself & a couple of other locals could have jumped on the oldies band wagon ages ago & cleared up financially) its about promoting obscure soul music & artists, hopefully bringing lesser known, new discoveries from all decades & genres of soulful dance to an open minded crowd, I also think that the mix should include some classics & anthems too for good measure, generally speaking nationally & locally IMO we could do with more venues with this music policy, at the end of the day its about what the punters want & also there needs to be choice, so Im not knocking anything or anyone, but the original ethos of the NS/RS scene seems to be taking a back seat at many venues in favour of populist play lists were personal ego's & money appear to take provenance over musical integrity.

Not sure whether the answer is venues closing or not, but in my case it would enable me to at least give a venue with this music policy a chance to work, thing is through venues closing you cant guarantee that they will be replaced & if they are replaced who is to say that said venues music policy regardless of what it is will suit the majority of punters...........maybe we should be careful of what we wish for, spose at the moment at least we have choice, generally speaking Im happy with the venues I attend at the moment, just cant get rid of that promoting gene that seems to niggle away at me constantly, I just want one last crack.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

These are similar reasons why I have not promoted in a long while , and are because of these , I am taking a long - and hard - look at what happens over the next few months , before I commit myself and my money again ......

Malc Burton

Absolutely!. that'll be both of us then. :lol:

There are way too many venue's now and those fancying a crack at promoting and claiming to be opening something different now are just fooling themselves and killing it. In less than a year, many of them don't make it which is just enough time to kill other better run venue's whilst their regular's depart albeit briefly for a nosey at new venue's..

The moment for opening new venue's in most places is long gone.

I think a recession for the scene might be a healthy thing, might get it back to a managable and sustainable condition.. ph34r.gif

I'll get me coat!.

Jayne.x

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

Knowing you Russ, and in my opinion, any venue you get involved with, would be different and something fresh! I do think that you are absolutely right in waiting, with what 30 plus events on tonight, with approximately 4 D.J.'s/collectors on at each, that's 120 plus people committed to venues for a start, many of which could be part of your target audience - it's a f***ing nightmare, and as Jayne rightly says, a "recession" could be a good thing!

Des Parker

Social source share

It was bound to happen eventually, far too many mediocre venues that concentrate on playing across the board music, trying to please everyone in the long run they end up pleasing no one. Punters looking to hear 60's all night get frustrated at the 70's stuff being played and vice versa.

The only way is to advertise what you are playing and stick to it and play original vinyl only and concentrate on the music quality, the rest will follow, fair to the DJ's and to the punters.

Punters, use it before you lose it.

Social source share

4 venues have shut or are about to in the NORTHANTS,BEDS,CAMBS AND HERTS AREA...l am sure this will be a good thing in the long run.People in these counties have been far too complacent about the good venues that have gone all four have been run by genuine long time soul fans.Whats ya thoughts?.......on the up side 3 new ones are starting up,so are you gonna give em your support? again whats your thoughts?

out of interest terry what are the ones closing/closed ?

Social source share

It was bound to happen eventually, far too many mediocre venues that concentrate on playing across the board music, trying to please everyone in the long run they end up pleasing no one. Punters looking to hear 60's all night get frustrated at the 70's stuff being played and vice versa.

The only way is to advertise what you are playing and stick to it and play original vinyl only and concentrate on the music quality, the rest will follow, fair to the DJ's and to the punters.

Punters, use it before you lose it.

Totally agree re far too many mediocre venues and playing original vinyl.Depends on what you mean by across the Board. My take on it is not to try to combine a Modern room with a Northern one. Up front 60's, some quality oldies, R&B and Motown played on OVO is what I try to offer.Too many mediocre playing oldies on Re-issues and bootlegs around here.

Social source share

Hi Mike,

In answer to Terry's quote on venues closing in Herts area,

The North Herts Irish centre has the next one on Dec 5th 08 and then the final one on Jan 16th the free birthday bash,then it closes due to the owners being un helpfull in the hours we want.

The Hitchin FC has its last one on 27th Nov 08,then closes for the same reasons as above.

So We decided to get together close two down and open up just one club in Hitchin with better facilities/hours etc,we feel that this is the solution in our cases anyway.

quick plug.

Groovesville Hitchin opening night is Jan 24th 09 (see events).

Toby.

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Said it before in a big, long and very controversial thread about 6 months ago ...

To sweep away all the existing deadwood (ie the old the boring the cynical the narrow minded etc) in one fell swoop....

need one massive weekly all nighter in a big modern venue (ie a real nightclub) in a major city.... 1,500 capacity every week, lots of young new faces and the dedicated older crowd .... only the 4 or 5 best DJs on the scene with a couple of fresh young whippersnappers playing two or three hour sets each of totally across the board stuff (oldies newies rnb modern latin funky soul) ... Simple really !

Boom !!!!

Another rare soul legend is born !!!

Wouldnt last 5 mins!! mixing NS with latin funk etc. Give me an Fin break with that mix you wouldnt get 500 nevermind 1500. Get rid of the "old =no oldies, the narrow minded=no NS the cynical and the boring = Empty Club" The only people there would be piss heads and divs, oh yes and the so called chin strokers. Please dont promote you will lose a lot of cash!!!!!

Sits back and waits for the shyte to come my way!!

Rick

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Bedford Athletic run by long time soul fan/dj/collector HAMMIE

Luton Rugby club run by Pete Tebbutt

Hitchin football club run by Andy Kempster....about to finish.

Letchworth Irish club run by Toby and Taffy.....about to finish

The trouble has always been that people in this area in the main can't really be arsed,at any one of these venues you saw folk who you never saw at any of the other venues....this is in a 40 mile radius if that.

The other main problem as l see it is that the across the board policy in this area ....really means same old same old.Whilst the promoters and some of the dj's certainly tried to be more forward thinking....same old same old is what the fans want.If most can't be bothered to attend local venues they sure ain't gonna go even a bit further afield....they'll just not bother.The rest of us will carry on party,party biggrin.gif:lol::lol: ..tezza

Social source share

Bedford Athletic run by long time soul fan/dj/collector HAMMIE

Luton Rugby club run by Pete Tebbutt

Hitchin football club run by Andy Kempster....about to finish.

Letchworth Irish club run by Toby and Taffy.....about to finish

The trouble has always been that people in this area in the main can't really be arsed,at any one of these venues you saw folk who you never saw at any of the other venues....this is in a 40 mile radius if that.

The other main problem as l see it is that the across the board policy in this area ....really means same old same old.Whilst the promoters and some of the dj's certainly tried to be more forward thinking....same old same old is what the fans want.If most can't be bothered to attend local venues they sure ain't gonna go even a bit further afield....they'll just not bother.The rest of us will carry on party,party biggrin.gif:lol::lol: ..tezza

Anyone in mind Terry ???

I hope that you'll come and party party at the next three local event and then onto the new project in Hitchin "Grooseville".me im off to Rugby tonight,you ?

Toby.

Social source share

Hi Mike,

In answer to Terry's quote on venues closing in Herts area,

The North Herts Irish centre has the next one on Dec 5th 08 and then the final one on Jan 16th the free birthday bash,then it closes due to the owners being un helpfull in the hours we want.

The Hitchin FC has its last one on 27th Nov 08,then closes for the same reasons as above.

So We decided to get together close two down and open up just one club in Hitchin with better facilities/hours etc,we feel that this is the solution in our cases anyway.

quick plug.

Groovesville Hitchin opening night is Jan 24th 09 (see events).

Toby.

And the other two - Luton and Bedford Ath have suffered the same problems.Certainly ain't down to music policy or dj line up.Remember we are in the south and have had bigger attendances than some clubs in major northern towns,just seems that since the 24hr drinking laws have come in no one wants to open late....strange

Social source share

We have been spoiled in the Beds and Herts area for along time, can I just add that 2 of the venues have finished, Bedford Ath and Luton TOTS, have not ended becuse of lack of numbers but because of management changes at the venue and to date no suitable alternative venues have been found.

Maybe it is time to throw it all in the air and see what happens, I wish all the new venues opening up in our all the best luck in the world and will be supporting where I can, some will survive and some wont but at least we will still have a strong scene in this area.

QoFxx

Social source share

We have been spoiled in the Beds and Herts area for along time, can I just add that 2 of the venues have finished, Bedford Ath and Luton TOTS, have not ended becuse of lack of numbers but because of management changes at the venue and to date no suitable alternative venues have been found.

Maybe it is time to throw it all in the air and see what happens, I wish all the new venues opening up in our all the best luck in the world and will be supporting where I can, some will survive and some wont but at least we will still have a strong scene in this area.

QoFxx

I agree we have been spoiled in this area with soul,some of the DJs in this area are awesome in their trade ie Hammie,Pete Hullat, Taffy ,Mick Smith i could go on ,but i wont.This area is still cutting edge of soul(tin hat time i think).

Maybe we could all go to Chrissie(o)'s house and hold nighters in hers laugh.gif again tin hat time !!!!

A very very strong healthy scene in this area,it always was and always will be..

Toby.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Anyone in mind Terry ???

I hope that you'll come and party party at the next three local event and then onto the new project in Hitchin "Grooseville".me im off to Rugby tonight,you ?

Toby.

Of course mr toblerone lol,there are plenty in mind ,but l ain't gonna name em,not the time or place.This is a good time to take stock though,instead of everyone and their mother trying to be a promoter/dj....BE A SOUL FAN,GO TO QUALITY VENUES AND ENJOY YOURSELVES FOR FECK SAKE. :D:Dhypo.gif:lol::lol:beer.gif ......if you don't wanna go out,get yourself an allotment or stay at home and have a wanker.gif

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Of course mr toblerone lol,there are plenty in mind ,but l ain't gonna name em,not the time or place.This is a good time to take stock though,instead of everyone and their mother trying to be a promoter/dj....BE A SOUL FAN,GO TO QUALITY VENUES AND ENJOY YOURSELVES FOR FECK SAKE. :thumbsup::Dhypo.gif:lol::lol:beer.gif ......if you don't wanna go out,get yourself an allotment or stay at home and have a wanker.gif

is it ok if i do both tel :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Last word,on the very positive side yes there are some new venues....ANDY KEMPSTER/TAFF AND TOBE....HITCHIN,THE MIGHTY MOLLY...BEDFORD and what has the makings of a top class nighter at STEWARTBY ....put on by POTTSY.So it's lookinf good biggrin.gif

Social source share

Wouldnt last 5 mins!! mixing NS with latin funk etc. Give me an Fin break with that mix you wouldnt get 500 nevermind 1500. Get rid of the "old =no oldies, the narrow minded=no NS the cynical and the boring = Empty Club" The only people there would be piss heads and divs, oh yes and the so called chin strokers. Please dont promote you will lose a lot of cash!!!!!

Sits back and waits for the shyte to come my way!!

Rick

I totally agree with you Rick.

I think the guy who posted is the same one who has expressed his intention of running just such a venue in London. Well it's deffo one for the tourists and I don't think I'll be going, other than for an office christmas party outing.

What's the thing in the middle of the tattoo on your avatar?

It looks a bit like a witchetty grub. tongue.gif

Social source share

Totally agree re far too many mediocre venues and playing original vinyl.Depends on what you mean by across the Board. My take on it is not to try to combine a Modern room with a Northern one. Up front 60's, some quality oldies, R&B and Motown played on OVO is what I try to offer.Too many mediocre playing oldies on Re-issues and bootlegs around here.

i agree with playing original 45s only, & playing 60s "newies" as well.

Ban cd players from behind the decks, & if needs must, check what the dj's playing, also the 30 min. spot keeps options better than someone whos lost the plot on an hour spot.

Rob Gray (just getting off his soap box)

Social source share

Maybe we could all go to Chrissie(o)'s house and hold nighters in hers :lol: again tin hat time !!!!

Toby.

There was an allnighter at "chez moi" last night, the bar closed at 4.30am and the decks went off at 5am and although there was room for one or two more, attendance was good :lol:

Well it does have a wooden floor, would always be a packer and the bar is free, music is a bit dodgey toward the end of the night though ohmy.gif .

Qofxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Des Parker

CRAP DJ,thats easy des...............a dj who is only that, a dj........no love of the music,no passion for it and no interest in the music.....unless they are djing....Take their records away from em and you wouldn't see em out and about for dust atb tezza

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

There was an allnighter at "chez moi" last night, the bar closed at 4.30am and the decks went off at 5am and although there was room for one or two more, attendance was good :lol:

Well it does have a wooden floor, would always be a packer and the bar is free, music is a bit dodgey toward the end of the night though ohmy.gif .

Qofxx

Didnt go out then last night i take it :lol: then girl,i bet the locals loved you,what with early prayers today :D

Mind you in saying that i didnt go out last night,saving me money and energy for Rugby tonight.

Social source share

You've got it right, spot on thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I see across the board advertised and I immediately think oldies with a bit of Angie Stone or Drizabone rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

I totally agree with you Rick.

I think the guy who posted is the same one who has expressed his intention of running just such a venue in London. Well it's deffo one for the tourists and I don't think I'll be going, other than for an office christmas party outing.

What's the thing in the middle of the tattoo on your avatar?

It looks a bit like a witchetty grub. tongue.gif

HAHAHAHA its a BLOOOOODY Night Owl!!!!

Rick

Social source share

As the promoter of one, of the original 'Across the Board' nights, the concept was to play everything in one room, the emphasis on quality. This has now been bastardised beyond recognition, so its original meaning has been completely lost & to be honest you never know what to expect from the tag line now..............originally, someone with my musical leanings knew 'across the board' meant quality soulful dance music from across all decades & genres & it worked too................I know this because the light bulb moment was at one Abshott, which was rammed & rockin' to everything soulful, I was at the bar trying to get a pint, when someone on my right said 'Sort it out Russ, there's too much Modern' whilst simultaneously on my left someone was saying 'Sort it out, there's too much Northern' I thought bloody hell we've cracked it laugh.gif .............on a serious note though, we were very lucky as we attracted a diverse crowd of soul fans who danced pretty much to anything so long as it was good !!!!!. Across the Board now means very little & can be a mash up of any old tosh.

Russ

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Me too, along with standing on solid ground, home is where the heart is etc etc..... sleep3.gif

what about......oooooneeeek blend lol :lol:

Social source share

I see across the board advertised and I immediately think oldies with a bit of Angie Stone or Drizabone rolleyes.gif

Yes, it does give that message if taken literally. Think I will have to rephrase flyers and website on reflection as not want to deter the likes of you Chalky and co. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Just watching Fedde Le Grand- hands up for Detroit on FLAUNT......is that crossover??

Got to say i love his let me think about it!

Rick

Edited by Scarborosoul
Social source share

I know this topic about Beds/Herts but the same can be said about any region in the country, too many venues, too many promoters who's only interest is in themselves and what they do and not the bigger picture and too many so called DJ's who who contribute little to the scene other than play the same records you can hear from too many other likeminded DJ's. They spend a few quid and think they have a right to be a DJ, can't get a set anywhere else so they put on their own night. Have a word with a like minded person who is doing the same 20 miles down the road, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. You end up with the same DJ's going round in circles playing the same records over and over huh.gif Too many who just cause they spend money and are talked about think they are a good DJ and too many promoters taken in by it.

I agree the scene is reaching saturation point, I've said it myself for years, but there are too many ego's, too many who's interest is only in themselves and what they do for anything major to happen on the scene. Too much shit stirring, mud flinging and back stabbing, too many fall outs. Too many digs at others, too many more interested in what someone else is doing rather than getting on with their own life, too many who's idea of a good time is spoiling it for someone else. All this combined is ruining a great scene!

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I know this topic about Beds/Herts but the same can be said about any region in the country, too many venues, too many promoters who's only interest is in themselves and what they do and not the bigger picture and too many so called DJ's who who contribute little to the scene other thasn play the same records you can hear from too many other likeminded DJ's. They spend a few quid and think they have a right to be a DJ, can't get a set anywhere else so they put on their own night. Have a word with a like minded person who is doing the same 20 miles down the road, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. You end up with the same DJ's going round in circles polaying the same records over and over huh.gif Too many who just cause they spend monmey and are talked about think they are a good DJ and too many promoters taken in by it.

I agree the scene is reaching saturation point, I've said it myself for years, but there are too many ego's, too many who's interest is only in themselves and what they do for anything major to happen on the scene. Too much shit stirring, mud flinging and back stabbing, too many fall outs. Too many digs at others, too many more interested in what someone else is doing rather than getting on with their own life, too many who's idea of a good time is spoiling it for someone else. All this combined is ruining a great scene!

fantastic post.

Social source share

As the promoter of one, of the original 'Across the Board' nights, the concept was to play everything in one room, the emphasis on quality. This has now been bastardised beyond recognition, so its original meaning has been completely lost & to be honest you never know what to expect from the tag line now..............originally, someone with my musical leanings knew 'across the board' meant quality soulful dance music from across all decades & genres & it worked too................I know this because the light bulb moment was at one Abshott, which was rammed & rockin' to everything soulful, I was at the bar trying to get a pint, when someone on my right said 'Sort it out Russ, there's too much Modern' whilst simultaneously on my left someone was saying 'Sort it out, there's too much Northern' I thought bloody hell we've cracked it :D .............on a serious note though, we were very lucky as we attracted a diverse crowd of soul fans who danced pretty much to anything so long as it was good !!!!!. Across the Board now means very little & can be a mash up of any old tosh.

Russ

Yes and thats great Russ cos the punters know what to expect when they get in :lol: However some atb events can be too disjointed. Its almost as though they are trying to please everybody(a noble intention) and can end up alienating the punters. It can be used to cover up an unimaginative set where eg Williams and watson is played then a rnb, then a upfront rarity,then a cheap unknown and then a modern room smash :lol: . The poor old punter is up and down like a pair of 'whores drawers' :lol:

it may be simplistic but perhaps some folk know what they want and want it advertised as such

ie Northern classics all night

or upfront rarities

or lesser and unknown

or gritty rnb all night

etc etc.

I think to lump everything together under the banner of atb soul night can be a bit of a cop out. Yes I know its all theoretically soul/soulful music buts its akin to getting different groups of football fans together in one room and getting them to agree :D

Personally (if the better 'alf agrees rolleyes.gif ) I shall go to Neil Rushtons 'Soulvation tonight cos he is having a wheel special with guest dj Brian Philips and guess what I expect to hear-----yes cos its advertised as such . Our music is great but not when its watered down and then loses its quality in an effort to please everybody and then numbers dwindle . Know your product and know your target market :D IMO

Social source share

Promoters / DJ = Service provider

Punter = Paying customer

My oberservation as someone who works in customer service.

If the service/product is not what the customer requires then they will cease to be a customer.

As a customer you cannot tell me what product I should buy (listen to) or I will walk away, feel free to sugest by all means, but if the shop continues to be empty get the hint that is not what I (as a customer) want.

As for traveling to attend a venue, I will travel as far as I wish, it does not make me an inferior punter because I choose not to go to all the other venues in my area, it's my choice, just as it's your choice to promote a venue.

As for venues closing, last night, without any research, I know their were three events on within an eight mile radius of my home all of them have been going for a few years, I have not been to two of them and unless the one that I go to closes, I am not planning on doing so.

Tonight their are two venues less than 3 miles from my house and less than 4 miles apart, one is a new event the other has been going for years, now which if any should I attend? unsure.gif

Don't blame the punters for not attending it's not all their fault!

I will end in saying it's the music that I go to listen to, not the colour of the label or whatever the label is.

I love the music, not the medium that carries it.

Now i'll get my coat, pack my bags & leave the country never to darken a dance floor again! :lol:

Phil

Social source share

Yes and thats great Russ cos the punters know what to expect when they get in :lol: However some atb events can be too disjointed. Its almost as though they are trying to please everybody(a noble intention) and can end up alienating the punters. It can be used to cover up an unimaginative set where eg Williams and watson is played then a rnb, then a upfront rarity,then a cheap unknown and then a modern room smash :lol: . The poor old punter is up and down like a pair of 'whores drawers' :lol:

it may be simplistic but perhaps some folk know what they want and want it advertised as such

ie Northern classics all night

or upfront rarities

or lesser and unknown

or gritty rnb all night

etc etc.

I think to lump everything together under the banner of atb soul night can be a bit of a cop out. Yes I know its all theoretically soul/soulful music buts its akin to getting different groups of football fans together in one room and getting them to agree :D

Personally (if the better 'alf agrees rolleyes.gif ) I shall go to Neil Rushtons 'Soulvation tonight cos he is having a wheel special with guest dj Brian Philips and guess what I expect to hear-----yes cos its advertised as such . Our music is great but not when its watered down and then loses its quality in an effort to please everybody and then numbers dwindle . Know your product and know your target market :D IMO

I am agreeing with you, when the ATB tag initially was used it was a new & inovative expression, I personally wouldnt use it for all the vinyl in Detroit now (mmmm maybe for that)..........Im going back well over ten years ago now, for at least five years its become over used & means nothing like its initial intention.

I agree on the whole with Chalky........but the cream will always rise to the top & I dont think the true soul fans/promoters or DJ's are going any where soon............hopefully the rest will die a natural death, the scene will become smaller, but better for it & the music will suit everyone, whether oldies, newies or Modern, xover etc, quality rather than quantity being the order of the day.

Russ

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I know this topic about Beds/Herts but the same can be said about any region in the country, too many venues, too many promoters who's only interest is in themselves and what they do and not the bigger picture and too many so called DJ's who who contribute little to the scene other than play the same records you can hear from too many other likeminded DJ's. They spend a few quid and think they have a right to be a DJ, can't get a set anywhere else so they put on their own night. Have a word with a like minded person who is doing the same 20 miles down the road, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. You end up with the same DJ's going round in circles playing the same records over and over huh.gif Too many who just cause they spend money and are talked about think they are a good DJ and too many promoters taken in by it.

Agree with this post, people on the scene just mirror real life.....back stabbing,ego's,shit stirring ect ect,but we're all grown ups and this kinda thing won't put folk off,or it shouldn't. l go out to enjoy myself and l/we always do.However we must have the right through this forum to moan,complain and air wrong doings both real and perceived.At the end of the day we all know who the dodgy f**kers are and who the genuine ones are....tezza

Social source share

Agree with this post, people on the scene just mirror real life.....back stabbing,ego's,shit stirring ect ect,but we're all grown ups and this kinda thing won't put folk off,or it shouldn't. l go out to enjoy myself and l/we always do.However we must have the right through this forum to moan,complain and air wrong doings both real and perceived.At the end of the day we all know who the dodgy f**kers are and who the genuine ones are....tezza

your right Terry we do have the right to complain or moan through these forums but all too often it gets personal and again more often than not it goes beyond a moan. IMO that can do more to put people off what someone is in favour of rather than encourage. Again we do know who the dodgy f*ckers are but all to often they are left alone to continue doing what they do, god knows why, down the town they'd have a good f*cking hiding rolleyes.gif:lol:

Social source share

Sadly you are right Chalky.

Jeez... how much effort must the above take? :D

Personally, I have no time for such things. Or such people.

I go to nighters to hear good music and to dance. End of.

Oh, and to spend time and have a laugh with people who feel the same.

Social source share

Sadly you are right Chalky.

Jeez... how much effort must the above take? :D

Personally, I have no time for such things. Or such people.

I go to nighters to hear good music and to dance. End of.

Oh, and to spend time and have a laugh with people who feel the same.

Ha ha... just read this back.

Sounds a bit easy doesn't it?

That's cos it is :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

your right Terry we do have the right to complain or moan through these forums but all too often it gets personal and again more often than not it goes beyond a moan. IMO that can do more to put people off what someone is in favour of rather than encourage. Again we do know who the dodgy f*ckers are but all to often they are left alone to continue doing what they do, god knows why, down the town they'd have a good f*cking hiding :Dbiggrin.gif

ha ha chalks,.....same hymn sheet methinks :lol::D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert