Majik "back Into Your Heart"

Guest stromberg

Guest stromberg

...on Hi just made nearly 300 USD on ebay.

is just another case of ebay madness? Seeing who won it, I would assume he usually knows the going price for records.

I think it's a great record and maybe not too well known, but $290..isn't that a bit much?!

And now: which one is rarer: issue or white demo?

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

...on Hi just made nearly 300 USD on ebay.

is just another case of ebay madness? Seeing who won it, I would assume he usually knows the going price for records.

I think it's a great record and maybe not too well known, but $290..isn't that a bit much?!

And now: which one is rarer: issue or white demo?

I picked up the demo a few weeks back for £20. Maybe this auction price is a case of good marketing (comparing it to other well known, well established faves and suggesting it could be the next big thing for that kind of sound) as well as a relatively 'unknown' tune that might be tricky to locate, with the 'must have it now' factor thrown in for good measure. Was shocked to see the first one go at $230 odd and thought maybe when the next copy came up it'd fall back...seems like it's gone the other way. Look at what happened to Rising Sun: for ages it was an £80ish funk record that never really took off and was quite hard to sell, suddenly someone picks up on it and it goes truly mental.

Social source share

Guest stromberg

I picked up the demo a few weeks back for £20. Maybe this auction price is a case of good marketing (comparing it to other well known, well established faves and suggesting it could be the next big thing for that kind of sound) as well as a relatively 'unknown' tune that might be tricky to locate, with the 'must have it now' factor thrown in for good measure. Was shocked to see the first one go at $230 odd and thought maybe when the next copy came up it'd fall back...seems like it's gone the other way. Look at what happened to Rising Sun: for ages it was an £80ish funk record that never really took off and was quite hard to sell, suddenly someone picks up on it and it goes truly mental.

exactly my thoughts. Though I have no idea quite HOW many copies of Majik really are around. I guess it's not mega-rare, but not an easy one for sure.

Glad I got a white demo before the price jump :thumbsup:

Great record

Social source share

Guest Brett F

$300....!!!!!!!! I've got this (Demo), think it's just an ok record, nothing special, would have thought £20 max............I can see why it's popular all over Europe Simon. :lol:

Social source share

$300....!!!!!!!! I've got this (Demo), think it's just an ok record, nothing special, would have thought £20 max............I can see why it's popular all over Europe Simon. :lol:

Well said Brett - I'm with you on this.

Got that Euro Pop Soul Disco kinda thing goin' on.

Certainly one of the very worst Hi tracks.

The words 'Barrel' & 'Scrape' spring to mind!

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Guest stromberg

:yes:

Sean

each to his own, I'd say.

euro pop disco? terms I would not have associated with this track, Sean.

As far as I can judge, it is not popular in germany, maybe Simon refers to Sweden?! I don't think there is such a thing as a euro-scene, btw. Geographically, yes, obviously, but there are so many different venues. Different in style, people, music policy, popular sounds, you simply can't generalize it.

Brett's selection on Sunday Soul Selection was fantastic and I really enjoyed your DJ-sets at the last two Soul Essence weekenders, but I disagree with you here :)

Social source share

As far as I can judge, it is not popular in germany, maybe Simon refers to Sweden?! I don't think there is such a thing as a euro-scene, btw. Geographically, yes, obviously, but there are so many different venues. Different in style, people, music policy, popular sounds, you simply can't generalize it.

Brett's selection on Sunday Soul Selection was fantastic and I really enjoyed your DJ-sets at the last two Soul Essence weekenders, but I disagree with you here :)

I ment Sweden and Norway Stromberg :yes: I regret using the term Euro now, with people like Hampsey and Brett around :D

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

No problem mate, each to his own is right.

I just don't personally dig it as a Soul record - it was the biggest dissapointment to me when I got it and played it - as I've got pretty much everything on the logo and felt this was one of the poorer records on there.

I can see its appeal to dancers.... but I won't be playing it! :-)

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

Sean

This is a Chicago group, exactly the same band as the brothers of the ghetto who did that funk track rockin chair on ghetto. One of the members was later in loveship.

Social source share

This is a Chicago group, exactly the same band as the brothers of the ghetto who did that funk track rockin chair on ghetto. One of the members was later in loveship.

That's OK Bob - I knew it wasn't really a 'Euro' record.

But its still got that Pop Soul Disco kinda thing goin' on.

And is certainly one of the very worst Hi tracks to my ears.

Sean

Social source share

That's OK Bob - I knew it wasn't really a 'Euro' record.

But its still got that Pop Soul Disco kinda thing goin' on.

And is certainly one of the very worst Hi tracks to my ears.

Sean

the only real euro-pop-soul disco Chicago records I know about are the thunderfunk symphony records. What's funny is that a lot of real music people were a member of that group too, dianne cunningham was even a member.

Edited by boba
Social source share

the only real euro-pop-soul disco Chicago records I know about are the thunderfunk symphony records. What's funny is that a lot of real music people were a member of that group too, dianne cunningham was even a member.

In that case - I love it!

Joking apart - it's no 'Certain Kind Of Lover" or 'Someday Baby' is it.

The 70's has a lot to answer for.

Social source share

In that case - I love it!

Joking apart - it's no 'Certain Kind Of Lover" or 'Someday Baby' is it.

The 70's has a lot to answer for.

It certainly has - it gave us Terry Sampson .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

While you're all bickering about the rights & wrongs of Majik for the rest of the night I'm off out to DJ & I'm gonna play it to folks who actually do go out so I'll let you know what they think :lol::lol:

Nice one Martin , strange how we were talking about this last night hey :lol::lol:

Social source share

:lol: Hey you must really hate Mellow Madness and Ellipses Sean ?

Nah - I like both of them.

Don't hate the Majik 45 either - its just poor in comparison to many other blinding Soul records on the label.

Syl Johnson

Bobby McClure

Otis Clay

Jean Plum

OV Wright

Al Green

Eddie McGee

Ann Peebles

Quiet Elegance

etc.

And if you want a couple of decent, yet untypical, Hi sounds on the label, how about Imported Moods & Africano?

The good stuff!

Sean

Social source share

i came about 5th on it way down the pecking order....... but ive had a second chance offer

he must have a few ohmy.gif

dave

Hi, i was the seller. i had 10 copies in total. all except maybe 1 or 2 are gone now. a bit surprised by the results, but i think it's a great record and have been pushing it a bit this year...

i think the demo copies are styrene (not sure tho) and the issues with the flip side are vinyl. anyone confirm?

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Hi, i was the seller. i had 10 copies in total. all except maybe 1 or 2 are gone now. a bit surprised by the results, but i think it's a great record and have been pushing it a bit this year...

i think the demo copies are styrene (not sure tho) and the issues with the flip side are vinyl. anyone confirm?

tongue.gif

My demo is Vinyl, same track both sides, mono / stereo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert