Stax/hi In London -it Came From Memphis - Fri/mon

Mike

This friday as part of the "It Came from Memphis" season at the Barbican in London sees the "Hi Records" show, and on Monday its time for the "Stax" show, brief details below

Hi Records

Formed in 1957 and based at Royal studios, Hi Records forms a crucial chapter in the story of soul music. Based in a poor African American neighbourhood of Memphis it was home to several soul star artists, including Al Green and producer Willie Mitchell.

Tonight's special concert brings together the original Hi Rhythm section made up of Teenie and Leroy Hodges, who formed the backbone of the trademark sound that was so unmistakably Memphis soul with Marvell Thomas (Rufus Thomas' son) on keys, Howard Grimes (drums) and Archie Turner (piano). They will be joined by the legendary Ann Peebles and sensational singer Percy Wiggins and several more very special guests tbc.

Stax

Booker G:The MG's (Performer)

Eddie Floyd (Performer)

William Bell

One of the most legendary and popular soul labels ever, Stax has left an indelible mark. Second only to Motown, Stax was known for its gritty stripped down soul music. The list of legends that started out there speaks for itself including Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Sam & Dave and Isaac Hayes.

One of the recipes for the success at Stax and many other Memphis studios was the use of regular 'house bands' whose sound became hugely sought-after. Groups such as Booker T & the MG's, the Mar-Keys and the Memphis Horns all contributed to the trademark groove.

This unique concert unites many of the original Stax artists - including just confirmed Eddie Floyd - to perform together for the first time in the UK, with the backing of the awesome Booker T & The MG's - Booker T Jones, Steve Cropper and Donald 'Duck' Dunn.

full details can be found at the Barbican web site visit site

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

any members got plans for getting to either of these ???

if have, sure that a lookback be appreciated

ta

mike

link

got tickets for Monday to see Booker T Mike, babysitter permitting! Will let you know how it goes, I'm very very excited indeed about it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Martin

Me & the missus will be there, hope to see you.

Tim

link

good one Tim, unfortunately I couldn't get seats in the stalls so we're up in the balcony (as we were at the Funk Bros), which is a bit of a shame as I'm hoping for a cooking good night :thumbsup::yes::yes:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

This friday as part of the "It Came from Memphis" season at the Barbican in London sees the "Hi Records" show, and on Monday its time for the "Stax" show,

full details can be found at the Barbican web site visit site

link

Started a new topic yesterday "It Came from Memphis" before I found this one.

Have a look at it - would be interested to hear your views on the Concerts !!

link added by site

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...wtopic=9467&hl=

Edited by mike-
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert