Why Don't You Go To All Nighters?

ImberBoy

Guest chorleybloke

You can do that just as well at a soul night as a nighter... I could be wrong but I don't think there's many people on here who never go out to listen to soul at some sort of event.

Can't think of any nighter with a music policy I'd want to listen to for ten hours.

Not heard any views from an expat perspective so far - so here goes.

Bet if you lived in Australia or some other far flung NS outpost you'd not be so dismissive. We probably only have 3 allnighters per year in Oz & people spend daft amounts of money on flights & hotels in order to attend. We also have folk who choose to miss an annual holiday so they can afford to go on a 6-week pilgrimmage to UK every couple of years, attending 2/3 events every weekend.

Yes every state in Oz has their own monthly do, same goes for plenty of other places in Asia & Europe, but you can't beat a proper allnighter. And by proper I'm talking about the more progressive types eg Burnley, Lifeline etc already mentioned.

Having said all that, if I lived in UK I'd have to find some kind of balance that suited the family or I could imagine things going swiftly very tits up. Maybe once a month or summat.

Cheers........Pete

Social source share

• Replies 243
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Richard Bergman

Having scanned this thread it becomes apparent that alnighter devotees are the real keepers of the faith. whistling.gif

Or another view could be that , plenty of these "faith keepers" have scant regard for record collecting or obtaining knowledge about records , labels or artists etc , so in my eyes "soul worthiness" can not just be judged on how much your body can withstand or the calibre of drugs on offer. laugh.gif

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

I've looked through this thread and it just has to be different strokes for different folks. We all have our own circumstances, I empathise with the two people who have kids with special needs, my son was severly disabled and during his 19 years on earth I only managed to get to 2 local soul nights. I would like to start going out more but it appears that if I choose the wrong event or dance to the wrong record at an event I am going to be sneered at. Maybe a new thread could be started.... " Soul Do Etiquette - How to avoid a social faux pas." g.gif

Social source share

aswell as bridgewater you got ...riverside,soulfusion,cheltenham,hip hug her....dont hear no ska etc at these...ok may hear oldies but always hear some new stuff too...especially if des is playin !....and more important always a good vibe in my opinion...good venues and lots of soul talk with decent people...i call that a good night out

i go to hip hug her out of manners and nothing else as they always supported us when we ran heavenly blocked in that venue....not tried riverside yet...so cant comment...cheltenham i used to support up to a point but it was a case of deja-vu one too many times... didnt hear anything that i didnt hear at the previous one and usually in the same order....soulfusion musically predictable big attendance from peeps who want to hear the same old thing...so i have to say for me there is nothing locally apart from a drink with old friends and ear plugs.....

Social source share

when to an allnighter at Peterboro ,at the rugby club, last year, same records played time and time again!!!!! ph34r.gif

Edited by mobbsy
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hang on a minute .............each to their own but aren't niters and gear synonymous with our scene. Seems to me that too many people are trying to get rid of the core standards/ethos of our scene - obviously someone will "attempt" to put me right!!

not me stevie, what the f*** is up with people it's a night out no more no less ,go or don't go. To many pompous people,my guess is they couldn't enjoy em selves if they tried.Me and mine love em have a great night full of fun and top tunes.As many have said they have been they're saviour and long may it continue........cause one day you are gonna die and going out or staying in ain't gonna make a jot of difference.....tezza :lol::D

Social source share

Guest Steve Lehair

quite right mr D how are yer mate :lol::D and whats all this using age as an excuse ,i,ll soon be 53 and i luv my nighters

espescialy Midleton times passin we got to keep at it

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

i go to hip hug her out of manners and nothing else as they always supported us when we ran heavenly blocked in that venue....not tried riverside yet...so cant comment...cheltenham i used to support up to a point but it was a case of deja-vu one too many times... didnt hear anything that i didnt hear at the previous one and usually in the same order....soulfusion musically predictable big attendance from peeps who want to hear the same old thing...so i have to say for me there is nothing locally apart from a drink with old friends and ear plugs.....

I disagree about Soulfusion, sure there are a certain amount of oldies played, but Nige Brown and Colin Curtis at the last one played loads of stuff I hadn't heard or hadn't heard for ages - so did Ady P. POB and Hippo are doubledecking at the next one and if I know them they will be trying to outdo each other, so I can't imagine they'll be playing same old same old for two hours. Might be worth another try?

Social source share

Good post sir, only issue for me is point 1.

Yes, you dont have to stay all night, but admission in 90% venue's is £10+ regardless of how long you're staying and if like me, you're a lightweight and have had enough by 3am, then £10 each minimum is a lot to pay for just 4 or 5 hours in a venue. I just can't afford it anymore. £20+ admission, £20 usually on petrol and then £20 drinks on top of that. £60 for a night out for two people!... It would have to be special to get me there now.

I'll stick to my soul nights. FAR cheaper, often friendlier and far less number of people repeating themselves!. :lol:

Jayne.x

I understand that in the current climate total costs for a night out inc admission/fuel/beer etc makes some folks reconsider their plans, but the majority of attendees on the soul scene has, for a long time now, taken issue with paying more than £4/£5 for a soul night or £10 for a nighter.

£10 for 5 hours, let alone 10 hours+ isn't really over the top imo, you'd pay more to watch 2 movies at the cinema, or to play 5 hours worth of bowling, or to go swimming for a similar length of time etc etc etc

You'd probably pay as much to park your motor in a city centre car park and listen to your radio for 5 hours :lol:

As I say, this issue is more apparent in recent times, but has been there for a good many years.

I remember upping admission price at a soul night I used to promote a few years ago from £3.50 to £4...the general response from a high percentage of the regulars was somewhat unbelievable...over a mere 50p rolleyes.gif

Social source share

I understand that in the current climate total costs for a night out inc admission/fuel/beer etc makes some folks reconsider their plans, but the majority of attendees on the soul scene has, for a long time now, taken issue with paying more than £4/£5 for a soul night or £10 for a nighter.

£10 for 5 hours, let alone 10 hours+ isn't really over the top imo, you'd pay more to watch 2 movies at the cinema, or to play 5 hours worth of bowling, or to go swimming for a similar length of time etc etc etc

You'd probably pay as much to park your motor in a city centre car park and listen to your radio for 5 hours :lol:

As I say, this issue is more apparent in recent times, but has been there for a good many years.

I remember upping admission price at a soul night I used to promote a few years ago from £3.50 to £4...the general response from a high percentage of the regulars was somewhat unbelievable...over a mere 50p rolleyes.gif

Mace ........... Its been I while but you used to be a right tight arse ! :lol: Getting a Pint out of you was harder than finding a George Pepp !!! :lol:

5 hours of Bowling will cost you about 50 quid (without food n drink) - I know cause I took my son bowling on Tuesday !

I see what your getting at .............. Most Soul events are cheap when you compare entry to city centre clubs and other activities :lol:

Social source share

Mace ........... Its been I while but you used to be a right tight arse ! :lol: Getting a Pint out of you was harder than finding a George Pepp !!! :lol:

5 hours of Bowling will cost you about 50 quid (without food n drink) - I know cause I took my son bowling on Tuesday !

I see what your getting at .............. Most Soul events are cheap when you compare entry to city centre clubs and other activities thumbsup.gif

Carl always told me to never buy you alcohol cus you couldn't handle it. :lol:

Plus you never used to look old enough to drink, even with that dodgy tasche you had. :lol:

Social source share

Carl always told me to never buy you alcohol cus you couldn't handle it. :lol:

Plus you never used to look old enough to drink, even with that dodgy tasche you had. laugh.gif

Brill ! :lol:

Ive told you before ...That was a "Norvun Soul tash" !!!! :lol:

I still look young ........ I was asked for ID in a Pub last week !!! :lol:

Social source share

laugh.gif Nice one !!!!

In fact, I remember that Carl used to tell me that knocking about with you was like having a pet mogwai.

He had to obey 3 strict rules...

1. Never let you consume alcohol on any day with a 'Y' in it.

2. Never feed you pies before midnight (or after midnight....in fact, just never feed you pies at all)

3. Never leave you alone with his missus

:lol:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

In fact, I rember that Carl used to tell me that knocking about with you was like having a pet mogwai.

He had to obey 3 strict rules...

1. Never let you consume alcohol on any day with a 'Y' in it.

2. Never feed you pies before midnight (or after midnight....in fact, just never feed you pies at all)

3. Never leave you alone with his missus

:lol:

How did you find out about that !!!!!!!!!!! Yes .......... I did shag his missus whistling.gif

Only once mind !!!

Somthing I always felt bad about ! :lol:

Anyway back on topic quick pleeeeeeeeeeease

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest soul city

Gotta agree with you, niters are the lifeblood of this scene, Middleton and Lifeline are both top notch, going to Wilton for the 1st time this friday, really looking forward to it.

Martin

yep to true niters are at the core of the scene allways have been,

can't understand why some folk get 'off there head's' on gear though to feel shite on a sunday/saturday and rough as owt for work on monday :lol::lol::lol:whistling.gif:lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

Live the life.............. wax,drugs n Northern Soul............dont do every single week, but 100% commited to the cause, I have a family, a job & a vinyl habit, its bloody hard to juggle it all, but its all a matter of how dedicated you are.................. have to agree its gotta be Allnight...........do soul nights too, but aint nothing like a Nighter, the travelling is all part of it, our nearest nighter is 2 hours away, the journey is part of the crack, as is messy Sundays/Mondays............you just deal with it, not knocking anyone at all for what they prefer now theyre past it ( laugh.gif )............but Nighters are the real deal, its what its all about..................always has been, always will be.................sometimes 'real life' gets in the way, but I dont make excuses....................missed the last 100 Club cos of work & might as well of gone as I spent ALL night walking the house wondering what I was missing............I live my blank weekends thru the Italian Stallion & Disco Dave :lol:

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

i can think of many many reasons .i prefare to rimember the cracking nighters of yester year when most people on this scene was young including my self , room full of the same tierd old people no mater how cool they think they are dont do it for me , may be this is not allways the case but 9 times out of ten thats my experiance truth dont allways go down well dose it ohmy.gif

Social source share

i can think of many many reasons .i prefare to rimember the cracking nighters of yester year when most people on this scene was young including my self , room full of the same tierd old people no mater how cool they think they are dont do it for me , may be this is not allways the case but 9 times out of ten thats my experiance truth dont allways go down well dose it :thumbsup:

I would dispute it's the truth. I'm considerably younger than most people I see at allnighters, and think that their active allegiance to the dancefloor is rather cooler than a nostalgic dismissal of them.

Social source share

Of course you don't but here is the rub........... Didn't the curry you had in Goa whilst on holiday taste like heaven and it's not quite the same when you get it at The Passage to India down the High Street?

Not really the best analogy since Goa is now generally seen to be full of rich tourists, trendy 5 minute wonder wannabees, media luvvies and pretend Hippies that spent a couple of months in the 70's wearing a flowery shirt that now proclaim Hippydom is their religion and they are keeping the Hippy faith (that they actually had lost for over 30 years, but we won't mention that). Therefore the chances of getting an authentic curry in Goa is very slim with only a few relevant places left, you generally only get a really watered down version of the real thing that only tourists would think is genuine.

Not a very good analogy therefore........... is it??

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Its the pipe and slipper brigade,pub disco mob,

A soul night its like kissing your sister,its not the real thing,NOTHING is more exciting than getting ready to go out for a nighter,you get goose bumps when you hear the music as you get near the venue.

Kev :thumbsup:

mmmmmmmmm? Goose bumps hearing the music. ? Maybe in the 70s/80s. Now? I just get depressed as i hear the same old tunes as soon as i walk through the doors and think " Oh No, not again, why am i here. I said never again last time. Wheres my sister?".. laugh.gif

Paul, it ain't just the music it's going out to enjoy yourself,if you don't then ok,but lots do whatever their taste is.For a long time now l have returned to allnighters and have a feckin ball the key here is not to hammer it (every week ).

Social source share

also theres so many good soul nites around the south west at the moment im out every week

there are?? apart from stuff that involves scooters ska mod and R&B ???? cant think of any cept for bridgwater that play northern stuff

unsure.gif

you obviously missed the Plymouth nighter with the awsome top DJ Dr Pickles, Pete Lyster playing a tremendous set - and the floorpacking set from Steve Godfrey

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

quite right mr D how are yer mate :Dwave.gif and whats all this using age as an excuse ,i,ll soon be 53 and i luv my nighters

espescialy Midleton times passin we got to keep at it

53, steve is an example of going to allnighters,makes you look and feel great.......he only looks 12 :D:P:P ...see you out soon mate :thumbsup: ...tezza

Social source share

dj pickles also played a great set at the last hip hug her !...lots of stuff i hadnt heard in a while or i didnt know...but maybe i just know f*** all !! :thumbsup:

i believe kenny burrell is at the next cheltenham and he played some top tunes at the last so called 'same old same old' kings hall allnighter...and he didnt play any doubles and was on at about 330 in the mornin !...quality...

Social source share

I get a lot of people who come down to the 100 Club and say "It's my first time for X years, i can't believe how good it is and how stupid it was of me for not coming sooner" or words to that effect. Then some will start coming back regularly and others you won't see for another X years.

The point is though that it's what you say when you go to the theatre or see a good film. You can only fit so many nights out into your time and nighters aren't that convenient for family folk in particular. So get down when you can and enjoy it, if you're not enjoying it, give it a rest for a while: the nighters won't go away!

Social source share

I've got to say some of you are definitely going to the wrong soul nights!

Beat me to the punch....

I do and will always love the all niter scene, don't mind long trips home on the train sometimes its all part of the experience..

Yes indeed Imber Boy must have been to some other type of soul niights than many of us... There are plenty quality soul nights that don't have the handbag brigade and all that goes with it... plenty indeed :thumbsup:

I know what Imber means by the all niter world, nothing quite like it sometimes, out on the floor with like minded people at 5am is a great buzz.. The problem is that the buzz just aint there for many anymore for many reasons.... Age/drugs/family/ choice of music etc..

Social source share

He looks a bit mean ........But he is a really nice big guy !

I dont get out much at the moment due to my young family - shift work - overtime - and spending all my cash on viny !!

But ............ I am planning to attend an allnighter next month (Its got to be the 100 club), It been ages !!! And I am gonna have a blast !! (and take monday off work!)

If I had no kids I would get to more events, Scooter rallys.... Soul Nights and Allnighters but Babysitters for more than 3 or 4 hours for me are a big problem.

And I am on to my second Wife now so I have stopped being as selfish as I used to be :P

"Right ...........I'm off............see you late on Sunday love!"

Great Days !!! :thumbsup:

No wonder your on the second wife & she don't like you going off Souling & Scootering if your spending all your money on Viny!!!!! :P

Take care,be safe & remember,"KTF but also a tenner for petrol, just in case",

Spot. shades.gif

Social source share

either single or in their 50's without as many commitments as they once had....you only have look round the average nighter venue, there aren't that many spring chickens about. Its ok to knock those who say they have been there and done it but they have and what have they got to prove???? f*ck all!!!!

Simon started the topic but he's been in the army many years if I remember rightly, correct me if I'm wrong, hardly off his t*ts every week travelling up and down the country. others as Spot says lucky enough to be retired and correct me if I'm wrong but also had many years away, wonder how he'd feel after 20+ years of all nighters, same question to anyone else who's had a long break? Most only come back to the scene when family grown up and mortgage paid or well on it's way to being paid. The nighter scene can soon takes it's toil week in week out, or even say two a month, especially with work and family to fit in. It ain't a cheap hobby either travelling the country.

The music is very much the same, even at venues that claim to be playing something different, for me there's very little I haven't heard to be honest and to hear it week in week out for 20 or so years.....well it does get a tad boring regardless of how good it is.

Simon's question a valid one but it don't take long for some to start slagging others does it as usual. Most people on here have f*ck all to prove to anyone, most have been there and done it and what they choose to do is nothing to do with anyone else. Why can't some just get on with what they want to do and leave others to do what they want?

Well seems my name has been taken in vein, so here's my right to reply & before you say owt I know it's not specifically aimed at me;

I don't think anyone was particularly having a go at the, "Been there done that" people, I being one of them & I don't think anyone had owt to prove, although some of us had proved it long before others had even thought of trying to prove it but that's just the curse of age. thmbdn.gif

I'm lucky to be retired so can spend all Sunday etc in bed & having no kids & not answering the door to anyone also helps, as for the long break well the scene split for a while, I ended up in Hospital due to certain elements of it & then worked away for a substancial number of years which made it impossible to carry on, I never lost the love of the music & think I only missed Stafford, which IMVHO was pretty poor anyway musically on the whole & Thorne at the time which would have been too Modern I think, otherwise I'd have still been going but most likely skint or dead or both?? :P

As for not playing different type's of music, well I'm no expert but I'm sure it's different at Burnley & Willington & to some extent Middleton & Lifeline but what do I know I only get out & about at least once a week, not once a flood!!!!

Most people as you say have nothing to prove to anybody & it's nothing to do with anybody else but if that's the case then surely there's no need at all to come on here & appear to justify their existence or lack of it?? no.gif

Take care,be safe & remember,"Nobody,specially me,gives a Sh*t",

Spot. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well seems my name has been taken in vein, so here's my right to reply & before you say owt I know it's not specifically aimed at me;

your name hasn't been taken in vein, dunno where you get that from. I only quoted you as you made a valid point that you were lucky enough to be retired, that was all. Just missed Stafford? You missed much more than Stafford and Thorne throughout the 80's and 90's, many of todays top nighter sounds are Stafford era spins, that you can't get away from but thats another debate. But I do understand your reasons for being away from the scene for so long and would never question why you left or anyone else did for thast matter, the fact of the matter you and many like you came back.

Most of the comments about how all-nighters are the real thing seem to be from those who have had time away. I am not having a go at those who had years away either but the point I was making was how would those who have been away from the scene for years, coming back when financially they are better off, mortgage paid, kids grown up etc etc, feel about all-nighters if they had done them without a break for over 20 odd years as many have, with a job, kids and a mortgage to hold down, as I said it takes it out of you. The same question to Simon and others like him who have been away in the Army and not all-nighter regulars.

As I said much of the music played at all-nighters has been around for years and that with few exceptions has been played at allnighters for years, thats everywhere, it might be different for you and others who have had time away but for many who haven't been away it isn't different, maybe thats why there is some apathy towards all-nighters from many.

Social source share

am doing the southport weekender in a day or two for somthing diferent what a refreshing change not every bodys cup of tea but i wont have to see the living dead spouting off about how cool they stil are on there zimers :lol::) yeah i know am one of them. but i get a bit pissed off with all this am stil doing it bolocks

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

your name hasn't been taken in vein, dunno where you get that from. I only quoted you as you made a valid point that you were lucky enough to be retired, that was all. Just missed Stafford? You missed much more than Stafford and Thorne throughout the 80's and 90's, many of todays top nighter sounds are Stafford era spins, that you can't get away from but thats another debate. But I do understand your reasons for being away from the scene for so long and would never question why you left or anyone else did for thast matter, the fact of the matter you and many like you came back.

Most of the comments about how all-nighters are the real thing seem to be from those who have had time away. I am not having a go at those who had years away either but the point I was making was how would those who have been away from the scene for years, coming back when financially they are better off, mortgage paid, kids grown up etc etc, feel about all-nighters if they had done them without a break for over 20 odd years as many have, with a job, kids and a mortgage to hold down, as I said it takes it out of you. The same question to Simon and others like him who have been away in the Army and not all-nighter regulars.

As I said much of the music played at all-nighters has been around for years and that with few exceptions has been played at allnighters for years, thats everywhere, it might be different for you and others who have had time away but for many who haven't been away it isn't different, maybe thats why there is some apathy towards all-nighters from many.

Chalky, you are the joint number one soul source guru with Pete Smith :)

I don't think anybody can really argue with that mate :lol:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Chalky, you are the joint number one soul source guru with Pete Smith :lol:

I don't think anybody can really argue with that mate :D

Reg Chalky's along with post 184 the best two by a mile so can i second the above. :)

I would like to say ones health also as a big say in this topic.

Steve J

Social source share

Paul, it ain't just the music it's going out to enjoy yourself,if you don't then ok,but lots do whatever their taste is.For a long time now l have returned to allnighters and have a feckin ball the key here is not to hammer it (every week ).

When I do go out, I do it with an open mind and the desire for it to be good. That means people who want to dance, a wide variety of music and a good venue. But, usually and maybe the problem is most nighters play the same stuff, its disappointing! I often drive the 400 mile round trip up North to attend a nighter.....its a long way believe me. Especially when a nighter advertises itself as something, but fails to deliver. The same guests seem to be doing the rounds, playing the same stuff! So you can attend three different, big nighters in a short space of time and hear the same stuff hammered! I want to hear some NEW people playing out, then I have a chance of being excited and dancing a bit more (and I love dancing!). :) Its almost like a circuit of the same old same old...So, YES, its probably about going out less, which my recent experiences have certainly inspired.

Social source share

am doing the southport weekender in a day or two for somthing diferent what a refreshing change not every bodys cup of tea but i wont have to see the living dead spouting off about how cool they stil are on there zimers :lol::) yeah i know am one of them. but i get a bit pissed off with all this am stil doing it bolocks

Enjoy yourself at Southport this weekend, i always do when i go :D

Social source share

Live the life.............. wax,drugs n Northern Soul............dont do every single week, but 100% commited to the cause, I have a family, a job & a vinyl habit, its bloody hard to juggle it all, but its all a matter of how dedicated you are

Dedicated to what? Your family, your job or your vinyl habit? I understand what you are trying to say (I used to be the same when attending scooter rallies years ago), I can only speak for myself, but my priorities (or should that be dedication?) nowadays are elsewhere.

Now that I don't or can't drink alcohol, I intend to get along to the 100 Club more often. I live just a short walk from Heathrow Airport, but getting home from the 100 Club (if not staying until the end when tubes started running) after a drink, used to be a bloody nightmare! Mind you saying that getting home from anywhere in London used to be a nightmare :) . Now I can drive up there and leave whenever I want, so next year I'll be one of those sneaking out at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning :D . :lol:

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

kin ell paul , you would have to drag me in there screaming & kicking,you might see linda though,,would be great if they had a northern or r'n'b weekender there as its only 5min bus ride away

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Chalky, you are the joint number one soul source guru with Pete Smith :thumbup:

I don't think anybody can really argue with that mate :yes:

I can Reg, Mark Freeman's been going non stop for 30 years and he still loves nighters and dances his legs off every time, so it's not always true that those who've been going non-stop are fed up with it all.

Generally though i would agree with Chalky. But there are always exceptions... :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I can Reg, Mark Freeman's been going non stop for 30 years and he still loves nighters and dances his legs off every time, so it's not always true that those who've been going non-stop are fed up with it all.

=====

sure do mate - still find the buzz of an allniter exactly that a buzz!!!

Social source share

kin ell paul , you would have to drag me in there screaming & kicking,you might see linda though,,would be great if they had a northern or r'n'b weekender there as its only 5min bus ride away

its like food gaz i like all kinds of food . i did try and book the gaff but they told me they had some sort of agreament with the promotors where no other people could put a soul event on there . i realy like some of the tunes they play and lets be honist its an all round proper event only wish i had a give it a try years ago its been around a long time ,even if yer cant bop to the tunes there is plenty to see , :lol: makes me feel young mate . and there not up there own sh.ters , :yes:biggrin.gif thort i might have had a death threat by now :thumbup:

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

Ah well there's always gonna be one, or two.....or 3.......lol

I really don't know where he gets the enthusiasm after 30 years. I get bored every 5 years or so...have a year or so off barely going anywhere and then start going out a lot again. It's only recently since having the nippers that I've had this long a period where I have hardly been anywhere, except weekenders and occasional soul nights. The last (non weekender) allniter I went to was the New Century Anniversary last Christmas and the one before that was Middleton about 6months before..and it took me all week to recover :thumbup:

I must be getting old as I definitely don't have the energy to stay up all night voluntarily on a regular basis :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert