Why Don't You Go To All Nighters?

ImberBoy

haha I am 46 aswell and I guess I havnt got the enthusiasm I had in 1977 for dancing all night every weekend. I have many great memories from Wigan, the Ritz, Belle View and the other Manchester nighters in the seventies. But that was then. The scene will flourish if it is attracting younger newcomers. We were the newcomers in 1977. We were regulars for a few years and then stopped going, but a younger crowd was there to replace us.

While I might like to go to one again as a one off, its never going to be a regular thing. I'm happy playing the records now and then and enjoying the memories.

Its a broad mix of ages and new records being played some not on CD or bootlegs. :lol:

Never dawned on me people don't go out unless you live on an Island with no boats to the mainland at the weekend, for local people anyway. :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 243
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hang on a minute .............each to their own but aren't niters and gear synonymous with our scene. Seems to me that too many people are trying to get rid of the core standards/ethos of our scene - obviously someone will "attempt" to put me right!!

No you are bang on !

Soul nights are for people with commitments and stuff - allnighters are for people who are still FECKING HAVING IT BIG TIME !

I wish I could be with you (I fecking miss it it big time )

Moss

(Still buzzing off 60s music)

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Hang on a minute .............each to their own but aren't niters and gear synonymous with our scene. Seems to me that too many people are trying to get rid of the core standards/ethos of our scene - obviously someone will "attempt" to put me right!!

Not on today's airbrushed Disney interpretation :lol:

Seriously I've never heard anyone getting grief for not getting nappered, but there seems theres a few who raise an eyebrow at those that like a dab though. Thank Fook I'm a pilates instructor with no vices other than the odd scone, perhaps a bit of jam.

IMO Gear played a part in defining the tempo, personality and importantly the dry humour of this scene.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

it would be interesting those who claim nighters are essential to be a proper soulie if they would still do nighters if they weren't on the doorstep( and on the doorstep i mean within 100 miles )

any nighter for me is a 2 day operation

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

can anyone argue with Nick?...well I can. If this offends anyone I'm sorry.

THREE years ago me and some ole Torch mates purchased some sulphate from some proper HELLS ANGELS we know, :lol: they warned us it was like rocket fuel, "yeah ok mate"

Cut a long story short 7 of us did a nighter, two nearly killed themselves, I and three others spent two days wondering if we'd ever come down.

We vowed then we would never do amphetimines again and sorry if you can't do a bit why bother staying up :lol:

Yeah......... but what happenned to the other bloke?

For me its the choice between scooters and soul. I can't afford either the money or the time to do both, and I can listen to soul at home.

Social source share

We go to some nighters :P but we DO NOT take any gear never have and never will :lol:

Can anyone tell us why a lot of soulies think its the norm to take gear???? huh.gif

We don't need it!!! :lol:

But we wouldn't do a nighter every weekend like some do, because we hate missing out on Sundays. :lol:

JB & Kerby xxxKTFxxx

At last I have found another who can remember what they said to me for the last 10 all nighters never mind what story they had to listen ten minutes ago.

Happened to me the other night a girl told me her story :lol: must be for the 5th time :lol: and I still wont tell her my real name :lol:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

So most people still love their Soul music and the Drugs just as much :lol:

But dont get out as much as they used to cause of Kids.......Work.....etc !

Just as I thought! :lol:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

it would be interesting those who claim nighters are essential to be a proper soulie if they would still do nighters if they weren't on the doorstep( and on the doorstep i mean within 100 miles )

any nighter for me is a 2 day operation[/quote

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

How are you davie :lol: i think there are plenty of travellers,i would estimate about 70% of our crowd travel over 3 hrs to get to us,and its not our fault you live in that god forsaken place :lol: .

i'm not too bad mate , how's yourself ? :lol: and yes you have a valid point there :lol:

Social source share

Guest soul city

We go to some nighters :lol: but we DO NOT take any gear never have and never will :lol:

Can anyone tell us why a lot of soulies think its the norm to take gear???? :lol:

We don't need it!!! no.gif

But we wouldn't do a nighter every weekend like some do, because we hate missing out on Sundays. :lol:

JB & Kerby xxxKTFxxx

i think some of em just think its the 'norm' because its been bred in em from years ago when they were younger (we were all a bit daft in our younger days eh) allthough ive never bothered about gear my self and still do niters :lol:

Social source share

I thought my all-nighter "experience" was finally over following personal events at the start of the new millenium,whilst considering my original jaunts to Wigan,Sheffield (Samanthas), and Yate, in the seventies, which were only interspersed by intermittent forays to Stafford, etc in the eighties, (due to paternal responibilities),and latterly in the nineties Winsford, Keele, and the 100 club.......However, much to my own amazement, within the last two years,whilst possibly due for "enforced" retirement and settling for the odd Soul night here and there, have rediscovered the original zest, for all things "uptempo", (moreover 60's uptempo)particularly due mainly to my personal piece of "Soul Heaven" that is the Kestrel Suite Burnley.....(There are several other niter venues worthy of note, and which having attended,) and whilst my musical taste, from a vinyl collectors perspective spans most eras and sub-genres Soulwise.....It is Burnley that has re-ignited the "flickering flame" that otherwise would have possibly dimmed for good.........Whilst appreciating the thread title, and furthermore apologies for slight diversity..........."never say never" :lol:

Social source share

I thought my all-nighter "experience" was finally over following personal events at the start of the new millenium,whilst considering my original jaunts to Wigan,Sheffield (Samanthas), and Yate, in the seventies, which were only interspersed by intermittent forays to Stafford, etc in the eighties, (due to paternal responibilities),and latterly in the nineties Winsford, Keele, and the 100 club.......However, much to my own amazement, within the last two years,whilst possibly due for "enforced" retirement and settling for the odd Soul night here and there, have rediscovered the original zest, for all things "uptempo", (moreover 60's uptempo)particularly due mainly to my personal piece of "Soul Heaven" that is the Kestrel Suite Burnley.....(There are several other niter venues worthy of note, and which having attended,) and whilst my musical taste, from a vinyl collectors perspective spans most eras and sub-genres Soulwise.....It is Burnley that has re-ignited the "flickering flame" that otherwise would have possibly dimmed for good.........Whilst appreciating the thread title, and furthermore apologies for slight diversity..........."never say never" :thumbup:

I HAVE SEEN LOADS OF OLDER OVER WEIGHT SOUL FANS GET DOWN TO 10 STONE IN 6 MONTHS !

ALLNIGHTERS ARE A GREAT WAY FOR OLDER PEOPLE TO LOOSE LOTS OF FAT !

:rolleyes:

Social source share

I HAVE SEEN LOADS OF OLDER OVER WEIGHT SOUL FANS GET DOWN TO 10 STONE IN 6 MONTHS !

:rolleyes:

That's not nighters Mossy...you can sit in your house and twiddle your thumbs and lose weight if you neck copious amounts of Phet :thumbup:

Social source share

No you are bang on !

Soul nights are for people with commitments and stuff - allnighters are for people who are still FECKING HAVING IT BIG TIME !

Moss

Im with ya on this one Mossy I used to love the nighter scene, now my lass is a bit older and does the sleep over thing at mates at the weekends, got a few nighters lined up to be going to in the future. The nighter scene always was that bit more special than the soul nites that are on every week, nighters were always a bit more intimate if ya like, for want of a better word, a better class of music too I always found.

Social source share

That's not nighters Mossy...you can sit in your house and twiddle your thumbs and lose weight if you neck copious amounts of Phet :rolleyes:

BUT DANCIN IS BETTER THAN WANKIN :thumbup:

Social source share

:thumbup:

Mossy, If they've got to push you around on that old delapidated machine in your avitar for 6 months it's a wonder they're still walkin' matey :rolleyes:

Social source share

Mossy, If they've got to push you around on that old delapidated machine in your avitar for 6 months it's a wonder they're still walkin' matey :rolleyes:

Thats why I never get to allnighters ! My Scooter always breaks down in Stoke on Trent !

I was thinking of getting one of them plastic things that Simon has got...........but then I felt a bit fecking sick and fainted !

Its much better in the morning (even with a hangover) when you know your LAMBRETTA is still in the shed !

:thumbup: M

fucking love me lambrettas and me old 45s I do !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest alans1967

i can't be arsed and there isn't an allnighter within 300 miles of me with a policy i'd even cross the street for

what kind of policy are u looking for?

Social source share

ditto !! im a single father with a 16yr old autistic daughter who fizzes like a bottle of shook up pop and i need all my energy to look after her,i also work, i did the whole thing in the 80s to early 90s and never missed a nighter of a weekend,u couldnt keep me away from stafford, leicester, notts, morecambe, hinckley etc, etc, loved every second of it but now some things are more important,i do go soulin once a month though when my girl goes to respite for the weekend but only do soul nites,im still obsessed with rare soul and still collect etc, as we all know, it doesnt matter how u get your soul fix cos its in the blood and always will be, in fact my daughter is obsessed with music too and loves rare soul nearly as much as me so its not all bad !

And now a male who understands...fantastic :rolleyes:

They say that my son is autistic...high-functioning...Asperger's Syndrome...I've been waiting for respite care since Dec 2006...had three referrals for respite none of which have worked out...the first one couldn't provide the package of respite care that we've been assessed for. the second was a private fostering service that decided not to work with Social Services and the third was a foster carer but my lad damaged the placement by kicking off when he met the potential carer...I can't wait any longer so the Social Worker has approached his dad and he is going to have him for weekends so that will be more than I have been assessed for at two overnight stays a month. With a bit of luck he may have him more...week on week off...he's re-married and his new wife understands as her son has dyspraxia and she's brilliant with my lad. He's gone to their home for a week to give me a break and guess what...he's perfectly well-behaved and going to sleep...he won't do either for me. So at the moment I don't know I'm born and I made the most of the weekend as I went out for a meal and to a soul do :thumbup:

We don't have a definite diagnosis yet as the paediatrician doesn't want to label my lad until she's sure and I'm happy with that as he is SEN statemented so gets support at school...

Your life seems like it mirrors mine mate :ohmy:

Social source share

either single or in their 50's without as many commitments as they once had....you only have look round the average nighter venue, there aren't that many spring chickens about. Its ok to knock those who say they have been there and done it but they have and what have they got to prove???? f*ck all!!!!

Simon started the topic but he's been in the army many years if I remember rightly, correct me if I'm wrong, hardly off his t*ts every week travelling up and down the country. others as Spot says lucky enough to be retired and correct me if I'm wrong but also had many years away, wonder how he'd feel after 20+ years of all nighters, same question to anyone else who's had a long break? Most only come back to the scene when family grown up and mortgage paid or well on it's way to being paid. The nighter scene can soon takes it's toil week in week out, or even say two a month, especially with work and family to fit in. It ain't a cheap hobby either travelling the country.

The music is very much the same, even at venues that claim to be playing something different, for me there's very little I haven't heard to be honest and to hear it week in week out for 20 or so years.....well it does get a tad boring regardless of how good it is.

Simon's question a valid one but it don't take long for some to start slagging others does it as usual. Most people on here have f*ck all to prove to anyone, most have been there and done it and what they choose to do is nothing to do with anyone else. Why can't some just get on with what they want to do and leave others to do what they want?

Seconded :rolleyes::thumbup::ohmy:

Social source share

And now a male who understands...fantastic :rolleyes:

They say that my son is autistic...high-functioning...Asperger's Syndrome...I've been waiting for respite care since Dec 2006...had three referrals for respite none of which have worked out...the first one couldn't provide the package of respite care that we've been assessed for. the second was a private fostering service that decided not to work with Social Services and the third was a foster carer but my lad damaged the placement by kicking off when he met the potential carer...I can't wait any longer so the Social Worker has approached his dad and he is going to have him for weekends so that will be more than I have been assessed for at two overnight stays a month. With a bit of luck he may have him more...week on week off...he's re-married and his new wife understands as her son has dyspraxia and she's brilliant with my lad. He's gone to their home for a week to give me a break and guess what...he's perfectly well-behaved and going to sleep...he won't do either for me. So at the moment I don't know I'm born and I made the most of the weekend as I went out for a meal and to a soul do :thumbup:

We don't have a definite diagnosis yet as the paediatrician doesn't want to label my lad until she's sure and I'm happy with that as he is SEN statemented so gets support at school...

Your life seems like it mirrors mine mate :ohmy:

I think Simon knows why a few decent Soul boys n girls dont get out much !

Peace go with you ! Forever !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

someone has to be...... :thumbup:

I THINK I HAVE JUST INVENTED A NEW DRUG ! :rolleyes:

ITS CALLED " METHDIOXYMETHAMPH2ETAMINEFUCKING3TATAFFYMOTHERFECKER!"

It makes you stay awake all night but you can't go anywhere !!! :ohmy:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

That's not nighters Mossy...you can sit in your house and twiddle your thumbs and lose weight if you neck copious amounts of Phet :rolleyes:

yeh but it's keeping sat down thats the hard bit lol :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I thought my all-nighter "experience" was finally over following personal events at the start of the new millenium,whilst considering my original jaunts to Wigan,Sheffield (Samanthas), and Yate, in the seventies, which were only interspersed by intermittent forays to Stafford, etc in the eighties, (due to paternal responibilities),and latterly in the nineties Winsford, Keele, and the 100 club.......However, much to my own amazement, within the last two years,whilst possibly due for "enforced" retirement and settling for the odd Soul night here and there, have rediscovered the original zest, for all things "uptempo", (moreover 60's uptempo)particularly due mainly to my personal piece of "Soul Heaven" that is the Kestrel Suite Burnley.....(There are several other niter venues worthy of note, and which having attended,) and whilst my musical taste, from a vinyl collectors perspective spans most eras and sub-genres Soulwise.....It is Burnley that has re-ignited the "flickering flame" that otherwise would have possibly dimmed for good.........Whilst appreciating the thread title, and furthermore apologies for slight diversity..........."never say never" :rolleyes:

Well said WILXY......could not agree more,whatever your musical taste a nighter must have above all an uptempo feel to it,it's for dancing after all........see ya on the 28th mate ...tezza

Social source share

I think the answer is just do what you wanna do and get your soul fix the way you want it...

Its been said before... Niters are getting longer and longer with the early starts, beers and old age kick in and many start to drift well before the end and the same buzz just aint there( for many, not all)..

I have better times at soul certain soul events and find the music more to my taste a lot of the time... plus i can semi function the next day(sometimes) and go to watch the footie,hop on a train and do some culture, see friends etc..

Many event run from early evening to around 3/4am, thats long enough for me and you can get 7 hours or so of dancing/soul for sure.. The last 2/3 hours of many niters are not what they used to be with everyone there at the end and looking for the meet up in the service stations or looking for an all dayer..

The smoking ban and all night bars have had an effect on the niters for sure and that aint gonna change..

So Imber is all niter person for sure and can't see why many want the soul fix some other way, i think many have given him an answer on this post..

Just do what you wanna do..... Long time dead...

Social source share

for me i think its the money....living in bristol the petrol money alone is the price of a decent tune !...i do kings hall a couple of times a year ,i normally stop over in a hotel but drove back at 5.30 last time ...not fun...ive done 2 out of 3 berkleys..(sadly no more) i was at the iow scooter rally for the other....gotta get to middleton soon !!....playing at hemsby scooter rally this weekend which has a seperate soul room till 6...does that count ??.... :rolleyes:

also theres so many good soul nites around the south west at the moment im out every week and still have the energy to carry on for a bit :thumbup: when i get home in the best club....or rather room... in the country :ohmy:

Social source share

I am quite pleased that this didn't turn into an arse kicking contest and we didn't get too personal.

I feel for the mum's n dads who have their time taken up with caring, god bless you. There are no words and one can only imagine a life that is dedicated to another.

"You don't need to go to India to have a Curry?"

Of course you don't but here is the rub........... Didn't the curry you had in Goa whilst on holiday taste like heaven and it's not quite the same when you get it at The Passage to India down the High Street?

Why is this?

Well it's like any think in life when there are different elements surrounding an experience.

The best fish and chip memory for me is walking home with my young wife cold wet and hungry, "You and me lifting latches striking matches on our way back home.... Where on our way home" I can still see her now with her wet blond hair, she had a smile that still makes me weep and tits that stood up on their own. We had fish chips n peas that night walking home and I have never tasted a fish supper as delicious.

When I play my broken duke box of memories I have a wealth of Northernsoul tunes that have become part of my DNA, they have become me and I have become them. This didn't happen listening to a cold MP3 player or downloading a file, they didn't come from a soul night with Trev and Sharon dancing in high heals pissed up on the latest Pear Cider with ice, it didn't happen in my car whilst listening to a disc. It happened because of an Allnighter.

If I have to explain the difference then your fish and chips would never taste as great as mine and my wifes did that cold wet night nor would the curried lamb you had during that perfect holiday be special enough for any memories.

Keep it real

Keep it curried!

Social source share

a soul night with Trev and Sharon dancing in high heals pissed up on the latest Pear Cider with ice,

I've got to say some of you are definitely going to the wrong soul nights!

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

No you are bang on !

Moss

:lol::D

Social source share

Week enders have been the way forward for 20 years.

Because the gear is shit and does not last long enough.

All nighters are so out of fashion.....with the newer music on todays scene.

My life is fecked up after 31 years of drug abuse, being smashed and asking the very same questions you are asking. And even today after it all that, society still has no place for me - fact.

I value the music more than the folks that front it - yes in certain cases.

And viewing the recent oldies allniter pictures on the galleries on SS - I shudder at the geared up over 50's monsters.

Having collected records and still collecting - why would I travel from my home to hear lesser tunes at other peoples expense including mine.

Thank you.

Nick.

:lol:

Social source share

Its the pipe and slipper brigade,pub disco mob,

A soul night its like kissing your sister,its not the real thing,NOTHING is more exciting than getting ready to go out for a nighter,you get goose bumps when you hear the music as you get near the venue.

Kev :lol:

mmmmmmmmm? Goose bumps hearing the music. ? Maybe in the 70s/80s. Now? I just get depressed as i hear the same old tunes as soon as i walk through the doors and think " Oh No, not again, why am i here. I said never again last time. Wheres my sister?".. :D

Social source share

Kinnel, that's it then.....the nighter scene must be f**ked :D

Just a few points mind.......

1. You don't have to stay to the very end to enjoy a nighter....you can go home whenever you want, so the feeling shite and knackered for 3 days afterwards doesn't have to be the case.

2. On the same note, you don't have to get shitfaced on gear to enjoy nighters.

3. The music policy on most nighters will usually be predictable by the DJ line-up, the advertising, plus past events/word of mouth etc, so if you end up hearing the same old same old all night then you need to be a bit more selective on where you go.

4. Late bars don't result in numpties attending imo. Lack of suitably trained doorstaff (if any at all!) and advertising extensively via local media attracts them....personally think you get more numpties at soul nights on the whole cus they don't want to pay £10+ admission.

5. Be honest now folks, how many of those who have posted negative comments on this thread who also DJ, would attend a nighter if asked to do a set at 5 a.m. (quite a few I bet :lol: )

Good post sir, only issue for me is point 1.

Yes, you dont have to stay all night, but admission in 90% venue's is £10+ regardless of how long you're staying and if like me, you're a lightweight and have had enough by 3am, then £10 each minimum is a lot to pay for just 4 or 5 hours in a venue. I just can't afford it anymore. £20+ admission, £20 usually on petrol and then £20 drinks on top of that. £60 for a night out for two people!... It would have to be special to get me there now.

I'll stick to my soul nights. FAR cheaper, often friendlier and far less number of people repeating themselves!. wink.gif

Jayne.x

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

Kinnel, that's it then.....the nighter scene must be f**ked laugh.gif

Just a few points mind.......

1. You don't have to stay to the very end to enjoy a nighter....you can go home whenever you want, so the feeling shite and knackered for 3 days afterwards doesn't have to be the case.

2. On the same note, you don't have to get shitfaced on gear to enjoy nighters.

3. The music policy on most nighters will usually be predictable by the DJ line-up, the advertising, plus past events/word of mouth etc, so if you end up hearing the same old same old all night then you need to be a bit more selective on where you go.

4. Late bars don't result in numpties attending imo. Lack of suitably trained doorstaff (if any at all!) and advertising extensively via local media attracts them....personally think you get more numpties at soul nights on the whole cus they don't want to pay £10+ admission.

5. Be honest now folks, how many of those who have posted negative comments on this thread who also DJ, would attend a nighter if asked to do a set at 5 a.m. (quite a few I bet rolleyes.gif )

2. On the same note, you don't have to get shitfaced on gear to enjoy nighters

WHY NOT :D

Social source share

Sorry but that is just a load of b*llocks! I've been doing a lot of nighters this year...and very few have been stale or boring and none have fizzled out at 2am.

Maybe you should actually try one in the next few months....pretty sure you'll be pleasantly surprised, assuming you go with an open mind.

YOU TELL EM ADAM wink.gif ,BURNLEY ALL THE WAY

Social source share

also theres so many good soul nites around the south west at the moment im out every week

there are?? apart from stuff that involves scooters ska mod and R&B ???? cant think of any cept for bridgwater that play northern stuff

aswell as bridgewater you got ...riverside,soulfusion,cheltenham,hip hug her....dont hear no ska etc at these...ok may hear oldies but always hear some new stuff too...especially if des is playin !....and more important always a good vibe in my opinion...good venues and lots of soul talk with decent people...i call that a good night out

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert