Female Version Of " I Have No Choice " Jm Matthews

Dennisoul

I found a female version of Johnnie Mae Matthews..I Have No Choice, on an acetate this morning in amongst the deepest crevice of my ever growing sh**e pile.... F**ked if I know why it was put there it`s gorgeous!! There`s a clip in refosoul which I`ve included below, the clip refers to it being Audrey Matthews...is it unissued? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Andy

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Andy - Johhnie Mae Matthews is a female version :lol:

Audrey is her daughter or niece or something. It came out on a Kent cd and isn't a patch on JMM's version

Wasn't it discovered not to be Audrey Matthews (who is JMM's daughter) and more likely the writer Sharon McMahon???

Social source share

Black Nasty is a Male led group (more recent) Vocal version with different backing track.

The Audrey Matthews / Sharon McMahon uses the same backing as Johnnie Mae Matthews... (Johnnie Mae being Female).

Would be interested in seeing a scan of the Acetate.

:lol:

Sean

Sean the acetate is just a studio cut, it`s not a 60s looking thing. Just a plain white label with a large centre hole.

Andy

Social source share

Thought members of the band BLACK NASTY were JOHNNIE MAE MATTHEWS children

or at least younger relatives, cant remember where I heard or read this ?

yes relatives: kids, nephews, nieces, etc. JMM produced the album that their version of IHNC comes from.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

was this ever booted or released on an album by either Johnnie Mae or Audrey,

Bearsy

Don't think there is a boot of Johnnie, wouldn't surprise me if someone has booted the Kent cd version that was credited to Audrey but in fact more than likely the writer Sharon McMahon.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Wasn't it discovered not to be Audrey Matthews (who is JMM's daughter) and more likely the writer Sharon McMahon???

Didnt know that :lol: I like it even more now.

When I first had 'Two sided thing' on Big Hit years and years ago I thought it was a geezer too!

Social source share

was this ever booted or released on an album by either Johnnie Mae or Audrey,

Bearsy

Audrey Matthews version was put out by Ady on a Kent CD, a couple of years ago.

The Johnnie Mae Matthews cut originally on Big Hit, was booted along with three other tunes. I do have a copy somewhere in my shite pile.....(Hey Andy...I know what you mean) I think that the record also has three other big tunes from that time. But cannot think for the life of me what they are ...... I will have a dig in the shite.

The label is navy blue and I think is called Vintage or something like that......will report back later after a trawl..

BEST

Bully :lol:

Social source share

Thanks all for the info :lol:

so Audreys version was never released on a legit 7" vinyl

whats the value of JMM on Bit Hit

thanks again

Bearsy

There are four on popsike from July to October last year, $655, $708, $765 and $1085. At todays conversion rate that would make it approx £430 to £712. There was loads of copies about a while back and was very indemand.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert