Bradford Queens Hall Flyer

Barry

Hi Alison,

The HWSC was initially me and a mate, and we ran the first nighter under that banner in October 1987.

Crofty was part of the HWSC set up from the 3rd nighter (after "persuading" us by .... well it doesn't matter now, it's a long time ago)

The niters at Queens Hall ran under HWSC until first part of 1991 (when I got collared by the Inland Revenue) and it became After Dark from then. I got a bit disillusioned by some of the "politics" then and rarely ventured to any kind of soul do for a couple of years or so.

HWSC ran all niters 5 times a month for most of 1988,89 & 90. Vnues included - Bradford Queens Hall, Burnley Thompson Centre, Bolton Town Hall, Hinckley Leisure Centre and Leeds Astoria.

In early 80's After Dark ran all-niters at Queens Hall in 1982 & 83 before moving to Bensons Bierkeller in late 83. Chris Burton ran a one-off all-niter at Queens Hall in 1985. This was very badly attended and Chris did one at abou 3am and left most of the DJ's and door staff unpaid :thumbsup:

Queens Hall was first (to me anyway) put on the soul map via the alldayers that Ivor Allen used to run in the late 70's through to early 80's.

Place is ruined now, but some great memories persist.

Phil

Was pleased to be a part of the DJ set up with you Phil during this time, was it really that long ago...happy days mate well most of it, remember when the BBC raided your house lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell./

Social source share

• Replies 108
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Was pleased to be a part of the DJ set up with you Phil during this time, was it really that long ago...happy days mate well most of it, remember when the BBC raided your house lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell./

Was always happy to have you on board Mark. Happy Days indeed. Remember the BBC invasion really well. Had the entire front room decorated by Vernon prior to them coming :lol:

That was 23 years ago!

Phil

Social source share

Yes - and he did wear slippers : If you went to his home . he would have them on ..........

Steve - along with Adrian - is not given enough credit for their contribution to . and development of the scene ......

Malc Burton

Spot on Malc :thumbsup:

I still bump into Adrian from time to time, always have kittens when I see him & no doubt bore him to death about what a massive impact BQH (Both HWSC & Afterdark) had on my life. Would love to see Crofty again too. Is he still about ?

Scroll back through this thread - started by Barry on the 31st of October 2008 - as it will give you the background on the QH all nighters .

Malc

I did scroll back but apart from the fantastic flyers & finding out what jumpers & cardi's Steve liked :lol: it didn't give me all the information I wanted but I've got that now so am a very happy old lady thumbup.gif

Ali x

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

Hi Alison,

The HWSC was initially me and a mate, and we ran the first nighter under that banner in October 1987.

Crofty was part of the HWSC set up from the 3rd nighter (after "persuading" us by .... well it doesn't matter now, it's a long time ago)

The niters at Queens Hall ran under HWSC until first part of 1991 (when I got collared by the Inland Revenue) and it became After Dark from then. I got a bit disillusioned by some of the "politics" then and rarely ventured to any kind of soul do for a couple of years or so.

HWSC ran all niters 5 times a month for most of 1988,89 & 90. Vnues included - Bradford Queens Hall, Burnley Thompson Centre, Bolton Town Hall, Hinckley Leisure Centre and Leeds Astoria.

In early 80's After Dark ran all-niters at Queens Hall in 1982 & 83 before moving to Bensons Bierkeller in late 83. Chris Burton ran a one-off all-niter at Queens Hall in 1985. This was very badly attended and Chris did one at abou 3am and left most of the DJ's and door staff unpaid ohmy.gif

Queens Hall was first (to me anyway) put on the soul map via the alldayers that Ivor Allen used to run in the late 70's through to early 80's.

Place is ruined now, but some great memories persist.

Phil

Brilliant Phil. Thanks for that :thumbsup: Things are much clearer now.

The reason I was confused is that obviously when I first started going it was HWSC & I thought Afterdark came after, which for me, they technically did. I didn't realise Afterdark had been going for years before then.

I loved ALL my years at BQH so a massive thanks to you, Steve, Adrian & the brilliant d.j's both upstairs & down who left a loving imprint on my life :lol:

Social source share

I still bump into Adrian from time to time, always have kittens when I see him & no doubt bore him to death about what a massive impact BQH (Both HWSC & Afterdark) had on my life. Would love to see Crofty again too. Is he still about ?

Steve lives in the Chesterfield area Ali , but as far as I know , has " divorced " himself these days from the scene and its' related activities .

Someone told me when I asked about him , that he is involved in flower growing , and has a stall on Chesterfield market .

Malc

Social source share

Was always happy to have you on board Mark. Happy Days indeed. Remember the BBC invasion really well. Had the entire front room decorated by Vernon prior to them coming :lol:

That was 23 years ago!

Phil

Is that the one with Lucy Pilkington ?

If so I'm on that documentary :yes: but thankfully you wouldnt know it was me as I was disguised as a little boy back then :thumbsup:

Kirsty S along with PJ's is on that too thumbsup.gif Kirsty S is more recognisable as where-ever the camera went...... so did Kirsty :lol:

Great memories

Ali x

Social source share

Steve lives in the Chesterfield area Ali , but as far as I know , has " divorced " himself these days from the scene and its' related activities .

Someone told me when I asked about him , that he is involved in flower growing , and has a stall on Chesterfield market .

Malc

Right !!! Blooming Chesterfield .......... here I come !!!! :lol:

Thanks for that Malc thumbsup.gif x

Social source share

I've put some scans of Queens Hall flyers plus some other Bradford nights in the gallery

click here FLYERS

Russ

They're fantastic flyers Russ thumbsup.gif with d.j's that I didnt know had played there. A real insight for me into the history of the Queens Hall.

For some reason Bradford doesn't seem to get the appreciation that other nighters did which I personally find strange as whenever I went it was packed out both when it was monthly and when it went fort-nightly.

Never mind though - it was my "Mecca" which, considering the area, & a name like mine :thumbsup: was quite apt really :lol::lol:

Ali x

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

Steve lives in an area just outside Chesterfield. He has/had a market stall on Chesterfield market selling plants. I didn't see him though on my odd visit last year. He chats to me mother, or used to and ask how I was etc. I'll ask me mother to see if he's there next time she is in town and tell him we are talking about him biggrin.gif

Social source share

Is that the one with Lucy Pilkington ?

If so I'm on that documentary :lol: but thankfully you wouldnt know it was me as I was disguised as a little boy back then :thumbsup:

Kirsty S along with PJ's is on that too thumbsup.gif Kirsty S is more recognisable as where-ever the camera went...... so did Kirsty :lol:

Great memories

Ali x

I was on the documentary with long hair I don't think I had it platted at the back with beads that night and was a few stone lighter...just a few stone mind you lol,think i still have my yellow shirt with a black and white patch of a fist on the chest pocket,happy memories of good nights and good music..

Paul

Social source share

Steve lives in an area just outside Chesterfield. He has/had a market stall on Chesterfield market selling plants. I didn't see him though on my odd visit last year. He chats to me mother, or used to and ask how I was etc. I'll ask me mother to see if he's there next time she is in town and tell him we are talking about him biggrin.gif

Make sure your Mum states it is good things that people are saying about him :thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

I was on the documentary with long hair I don't think I had it platted at the back with beads that night and was a few stone lighter...just a few stone mind you lol,think i still have my yellow shirt with a black and white patch of a fist on the chest pocket,happy memories of good nights and good music..

Paul

:lol: So you was a little girl back then Paul :lol: & I was a little boy :)

Great days indeed :lol: x

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

:lol::) & that we send our love :lol: x

Make sure your Mum states it is good things that people are saying about him :shades:

Malc

But leave out the cardigans with football buttons :lol: x

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

I love the Queens Hall All Nighters ,it was the people coming back to our flat in Roundhay on a Sunday morning that i wasn,t too keen on!!!!

T.C.

Social source share

I love the Queens Hall All Nighters ,it was the people coming back to our flat in Roundhay on a Sunday morning that i wasn,t too keen on!!!!

T.C.

AND YOU WERE A LOVELY HOST

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chalky,did'nt realise Steve still lives in Chesterfield or that he has a flower stall on the market,must have a look for him next time I'm in town,

do you remember dj ing with Steve,John Kingan,Alan Millington,when I used to run the Aquarius on sunday nights 91\92 ish?

Social source share

Hi Chalky,did'nt realise Steve still lives in Chesterfield or that he has a flower stall on the market,must have a look for him next time I'm in town,

do you remember dj ing with Steve,John Kingan,Alan Millington,when I used to run the Aquarius on sunday nights 91\92 ish?

Hi Gigs.

To be honest when I went into town last summer I didn't see him so not sure if he still does it. He was on the bottom market, top corner where the Baked Potato van is, near the bank and Town Hall revenue offices. The stall was more plants/shrubs than flowers. He and his partner have/had a nursery at Linacre somewhere.

I remember the Aqua mate, there is a video on Youtube of it....

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I've done a podcast which is basically a one hour spot of memories from Bradford's Queens Hall circa 1988/89.

Listen to the podcast here - https://presencefm.po...T01_07_38-07_00

Not particularly Bradford exclusives. Just the tunes that were massive there and filled the floor every time:

Wade Flemons - Jeanette - Ramsel

The Dynamics - I Need Your Love - RCA

Billy Woods _ I Don't Want To Lose Your Love - Verve

Martha Starr - Love Is The Only Solution - Thelma

Jack Montgomery - Don't Turn Your Back ON Me - Barracuda

Boss Four - Walkin' By - Rim

Mickey Buckins & The New Breed - Silly Girl - Norala

Johnny & Jake - I Need Your Help Baby - Philips

Marshall & The Chi-Lites - Price Of Love - Dakar

Royal Robins - Something About You Sends Me - Tru-Glo-Town

Kell Osborne - Quicksand - Titanic

The Jive Five - You're A Puzzle - United Artists

Little John (The House Rocker) - Heart Breakin' Time - Martay

Tee Fletcher - Happy Loving You - Shurfine

Bud Harper - Wherever You Were - Peacock

Willie McDougal - Don't Turn Away - Kinard

Otis Lee - Hard Row To Hoe - Quaint

The Lost Souls - I'm Your Love Man - Glasco

The Brothers Grimm - Looky, Looky - Mercury

Junior McCants - Try Me For Your New Love - King

Mac Staten & The Nomads - There She Goes - Prelude

The Appointments - I Saw You There - Redd Coach

Sir Caeser - Show Me The Time - Ride

Social source share

I've done a podcast which is basically a one hour spot of memories from Bradford's Queens Hall circa 1988/89.

Listen to the podcast here - https://presencefm.po...T01_07_38-07_00

Not particularly Bradford exclusives. Just the tunes that were massive there and filled the floor every time:

Wade Flemons - Jeanette - Ramsel

The Dynamics - I Need Your Love - RCA

Billy Woods _ I Don't Want To Lose Your Love - Verve

Martha Starr - Love Is The Only Solution - Thelma

Jack Montgomery - Don't Turn Your Back ON Me - Barracuda

Boss Four - Walkin' By - Rim

Mickey Buckins & The New Breed - Silly Girl - Norala

Johnny & Jake - I Need Your Help Baby - Philips

Marshall & The Chi-Lites - Price Of Love - Dakar

Royal Robins - Something About You Sends Me - Tru-Glo-Town

Kell Osborne - Quicksand - Titanic

The Jive Five - You're A Puzzle - United Artists

Little John (The House Rocker) - Heart Breakin' Time - Martay

Tee Fletcher - Happy Loving You - Shurfine

Bud Harper - Wherever You Were - Peacock

Willie McDougal - Don't Turn Away - Kinard

Otis Lee - Hard Row To Hoe - Quaint

The Lost Souls - I'm Your Love Man - Glasco

The Brothers Grimm - Looky, Looky - Mercury

Junior McCants - Try Me For Your New Love - King

Mac Staten & The Nomads - There She Goes - Prelude

The Appointments - I Saw You There - Redd Coach

Sir Caeser - Show Me The Time - Ride

By that's taken me right back Phil :thumbsup: the whole ruddy lot of em but especially Kell (y) Osbourne :unsure: Otis Lee & Sir Caeser (Salad).

Other tunes that ALWAYS remind me of Bradford are Roosevelt Grier "In my Tenement" & Garnet Mimms "Prove it to me"

Thanks for the memories mate. Fabulous times indeed :hatsoff2: x

Social source share

By that's taken me right back Phil :yes: the whole ruddy lot of em but especially Kell (y) Osbourne :lol: Otis Lee & Sir Caeser (Salad).

Other tunes that ALWAYS remind me of Bradford are Roosevelt Grier "In my Tenement" & Garnet Mimms "Prove it to me"

Thanks for the memories mate. Fabulous times indeed :thumbsup: x

You're right.

Should have put Garnet Mimms & Roosevelt in there.

Memory's not too good these days. :lol:

Phil

Social source share

Slightly off centre of this topic but still Queens Hall related so I guess it's ok.

I'll swear blind that years ago somebody posted up a clip of a particular DJ doing a live Northern spot upstairs at QH.

Anyway I listened to it and purely by chance it included the next DJ taking over the decks.

Who just happened to be an old friend of mine - Nigel Parker.

Seem to think I meant to download a copy of the clip but didn't and time rolled by.

I've scoured the forums and Refosoul with all manner of combinations of the words Bradford Queens Hall but had no luck.

I know it's all a bit vague but does it ring any bells with anyone?

If you never ask....

Ta, derek x

You wouldn't believe how long I've kept meaning to post this question.....

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Guest Nick Harrison

And who can name the Dee Jay who" first" played a full set of Garage 12's downstairs during 1988 as a first spot, leaving his copy of Otis Jackson - Check It Out and his "always played" copy of Ruby Andrews - Merry Go Round - "on hold" in his 45 box. :yes:

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Slightly off centre of this topic but still Queens Hall related so I guess it's ok.

I'll swear blind that years ago somebody posted up a clip of a particular DJ doing a live Northern spot upstairs at QH.

Anyway I listened to it and purely by chance it included the next DJ taking over the decks.

Who just happened to be an old friend of mine - Nigel Parker.

Seem to think I meant to download a copy of the clip but didn't and time rolled by.

I've scoured the forums and Refosoul with all manner of combinations of the words Bradford Queens Hall but had no luck.

I know it's all a bit vague but does it ring any bells with anyone?

If you never ask....

Ta, derek x

You wouldn't believe how long I've kept meaning to post this question.....

Bradford Queens Hall June 91 - Bradford Queens Hall June 91 - Audio

Social source share

Ive listened to the live clip and I'm sure I can here myself singing to Deon Jackson and The Sandpipers,it brought back quite a few memories of me walking down to nigels house when he lived in Keighley and him playing me his records for hours on end,i still have some of the tapes he did me somewhere..

paul.

Social source share

I was wondering (might be my memory) but don't remember hearing Shifty at Bradford?????

Alan wouldn't have yet got the MS 20 years ago would he?

It came of a tape doing the rounds with MS, Two Plus Two, Dianne Lewis, Devotions & a couple of other of Butch's spins on it.

Social source share

Alan wouldn't have yet got the MS 20 years ago would he?

It came of a tape doing the rounds with MS, Two Plus Two, Dianne Lewis, Devotions & a couple of other of Butch's spins on it.

Can't remember when Shifty first got it.......

Think I know where the tape came from, or who passed it on.

Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

Think 1982 would of been about right Chalky, remember about 15 of us travelling up in the back of a Transit Van from Nottingham driven by Steve Ward, it was the first time I met Kitch in the back that of that van. :thumbsup:

Was the only time I travelled in the back of a van uncomfortable or what. :lol:

Tom :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert