• Replies 108
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

after_dark.jpg

Can see Steve hand cranckin' these upstairs in the cafe (STRADS).....followed by a chip and egg tea cake with salad cream for helpin',and a go on "black night" the pin ball machine. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Can see Steve hand cranckin' these upstairs in the cafe (STRADS).....followed by a chip and egg tea cake with salad cream for helpin',and a go on "black night" the pin ball machine. :thumbsup:

STRADS Cafe : A real cottage industry amongst the culinary delights ........

Crofty , as you state , in one corner cranking the handle od the Gestetner printing machine , and Adrian in the other , custom making audio reproductions of immensly popular / hard to obtain toe - tapping recordings .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

The first and only (hopefully) time you will see 'Modern/Rave' on a NS flyer ha ha.

It was the jumper that did it wi' Crofty I think.

Or the term " Soulsational " .........

Crofty was indeed a fashion guru - not just jumpers , but with those " hot - to - trot " cardigans with the football buttons .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

The original 'Fireside Soulie' Malc. :thumbsup:

Yes - and he did wear slippers : If you went to his home . he would have them on ..........

Steve - along with Adrian - is not given enough credit for their contribution to . and development of the scene ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Yes - and he did wear slippers : If you went to his home . he would have them on ..........

Steve - along with Adrian - is not given enough credit for their contribution to . and development of the scene ......

Malc Burton

You're right to a degree malc, no other propmoter would have let the likes of me and Dave free at a Nighter after all, but he did have a tendency to dip a little too heavily into 'real' house territory on occassion.

Social source share

You're right to a degree malc, no other propmoter would have let the likes of me and Dave free at a Nighter after all, but he did have a tendency to dip a little too heavily into 'real' house territory on occassion.

Put it down to his " lost weekends " period .........

Interesting to see regarding the paylists you posted , that tracks from CDs featured : quite revolutionary , considering it was 1991 , and the ausio form was relatively new .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Or the term " Soulsational " .........

Crofty was indeed a fashion guru - not just jumpers , but with those " hot - to - trot " cardigans with the football buttons .......

Malc Burton

Smart in Damart i think you mean,all them stretchie jeans he sold everyone in Roth and i mean everyone he'd have his work cut now tho',did anybody ever buy any of the records on display in the shop ?..............fukc i used to live there,5 days a week in there then it moved accross the road but no more cafe :thumbsup: but we all would still be back room watching Adrian fix TV.s and drinkin' loads of tea,great little community going on,did they used to have open air dayers in Clifton park never went but sure Steve or Adrian told me,anybody go ?

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Hello Barry,

Hope you are well.

Thanks for the above thread which propelled me into that downstairs flavour and the returning of home.........Shay Jones, Eve Gallagher, Keith Nunally, Stooge Production "white Lies" and the storming Joe Church to mention but a few. I recently added to the "Phil Webb" in People with soul thread.

And the thanks page - reading that, some I still see, others gone. :thumbsup::) .

And that - "Thanks for Steve Hobbs for recognizing us and Richard Searling for not"......after a few visits to the Hilton, nowt's changed .....still.

How's Paddy Scott these days.

Keep in touch :)

Cheers

Nick.

Social source share

Hello Barry,

Hope you are well.

Thanks for the above thread which propelled me into that downstairs flavour and the returning of home.........Shay Jones, Eve Gallagher, Keith Nunally, Stooge Production "white Lies" and the storming Joe Church to mention but a few. I recently added to the "Phil Webb" in People with soul thread.

And the thanks page - reading that, some I still see, others gone. :thumbsup::D .

And that - "Thanks for Steve Hobbs for recognizing us and Richard Searling for not"......after a few visits to the Hilton, nowt's changed .....still.

How's Paddy Scott these days.

Keep in touch biggrin.gif

Cheers

Nick.

Hobbsy always gave us a nod in B&S, whereas Richard never - I hate myself for that comment as I owe so much to him - but you can't argue with youthful ego can you?

Paddy is better than he ever was - salt - mate.

He was down ours last week, he's just bought himself a mid-life crisis Mustang - and I love him all the more for it.

Fancy a pint between us? I would love to arrange it.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Hobbsy always gave us a nod in B&S, whereas Richard never - I hate myself for that comment as I owe so much to him - but you can't argue with youthful ego can you?

Paddy is better than he ever was - salt - mate.

He was down ours last week, he's just bought himself a mid-life crisis Mustang - and I love him all the more for it.

Fancy a pint between us? I would love to arrange it.

Good morning, good evening Mr May,

Yes - would be up for that.....and a ride in Scotties Ford if possible...... :lol: . Barry you must not argue with that comment, as at the time it was so in keeping with what was happening back then. :lol::lol: .

Good to hear Patrick is o.k.

Any news on the other reunion....... :lol: .

Cheers for now Barry,

Swiftnick.

Social source share

Good morning, good evening Mr May,

Yes - would be up for that.....and a ride in Scotties Ford if possible...... :lol: . Barry you must not argue with that comment, as at the time it was so in keeping with what was happening back then. :thumbup::D .

Good to hear Patrick is o.k.

Any news on the other reunion....... :D .

Cheers for now Barry,

Swiftnick.

Pm us your mobile number if you would Nick.

Social source share

I've still got a slightly knackered membership card and a few flyers somewhere, will have to dig them out...

Ste. wink.gif

:lol::D Yes i think i still got my membership card aswell they were fantastic nights them :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

loved the place especially when i used to go down stairs to "chill out" and ended up near on having a heart attack. Was down there a few times when unable to move and it was as hot as Ms used to be!! Great times.

Rick

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nick Harrison

loved the place especially when i used to go down stairs to "chill out" and ended up near on having a heart attack. Was down there a few times when unable to move and it was as hot as Ms used to be!! Great times.

Rick

Hi Ricky.....thanks for your comments....it sure was the underground scene down them stairs....my knees are shagged and shattered...... Did anyone else realy care the dance floor was concrete.....so' feeling it now a days :D:ohmy: .

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Just found a flyer for Bradford, two dates one either side. Both have the main room and then in the other room one night 60's Rare and other Modern....one side has a little damage :yes:

post-225-0-82505000-1296384665_thumb.jpg

post-225-0-73000500-1296384733_thumb.jpg

I designed that all by myself.

My old address and phone number.

No wonder I got done by the revenue, and had the house repo'd :thumbsup: Crafty barsteward was Crofty :lol:

Phil

Social source share

Posted this flyer a few months ago , think it's from the 80's

Russ

Wow ! I can't remember seeing that flyer & I cant remember it starting at 10.00 nor being £2 in :thumbsup: It must have been well before my time. Phild do you have any idea of the time this flyer went to print ?

Thanks for posting it :yes:

Social source share

Most of the dancers were downstairs... :yes:

:yes: Stop trying to shxt stir Mr Webb :lol:

I was an upstairs dancer from 87 to about 91 and it was rammed everytime :thumbsup: Then I ventured downstairs & had equally good times down there :yes: BOTH rooms were packed out with dancers, just the way it should have been :yes:

Social source share

Wow ! I can't remember seeing that flyer & I cant remember it starting at 10.00 nor being £2 in :lol: It must have been well before my time. Phild do you have any idea of the time this flyer went to print ?

Thanks for posting it :yes:

Going through the calendars, unless I've missed something the only one I can find in the 80's with a Sat/Sun 10th and 11th July is 1982 :thumbsup: Chris Plant sold up mid 80's didn't he?

Social source share

Just found a flyer for Bradford, two dates one either side. Both have the main room and then in the other room one night 60's Rare and other Modern....one side has a little damage :yes:

post-225-0-82505000-1296384665_thumb.jpg

post-225-0-73000500-1296384733_thumb.jpg

Great flyer Chalky :thumbsup:

It has the look of some of the flyers I have from Queens Hall but I cant remember there being that rare 60's night downstairs. Mind you if it's from the mid 80's that's when I didnt move from my spot to the left of the stage where I hung around with my wonderful geordie mates & my great friends from Hull.

Social source share

Great flyer Chalky :yes:

It has the look of some of the flyers I have from Queens Hall but I cant remember there being that rare 60's night downstairs. Mind you if it's from the mid 80's that's when I didnt move from my spot to the left of the stage where I hung around with my wonderful geordie mates & my great friends from Hull.

Can you scan you flyers Alison? Wouldn't mind a look. If I remember rightly they didn't have many rare night downstairs, might have been the only one.

Social source share

Going through the calendars, unless I've missed something the only one I can find in the 80's with a Sat/Sun 10th and 11th July is 1982 :thumbsup: Chris Plant sold up mid 80's didn't he?

:yes: Well thats why then. I was still at School,still a mod & the £2 would have been my pocket money for the whole month :yes:

Cheers for the info Chalky :lol:

Social source share

I designed that all by myself.

My old address and phone number.

No wonder I got done by the revenue, and had the house repo'd :yes: Crafty barsteward was Crofty :thumbsup:

Phil

Phil

Can you give me a quick history lesson please.

I remember you & Jackie enticing me away from the Mod Scene by giving me a flyer for BQH at the Warehouse that Pat Brady used to run on a Thursday night in Leeds. I think this was 87.

How long had nighters at the Queens Hall been running before then ? It was HWSC (which I believe was you) who also ran the nighters in Hinkley & Burnley (remember when my friend fell down the steps in that Burnley Sports Hall :lol:)

I'm just interested to know who ran what from when. I dont need to know the ins & outs or whether there was any rivalry or under hand tactics. It doesn't concern me too much as my glory days were both HWSC nighters & the After Dark ones (Crofty) but I'm interested to know what happened before my time, if you know that.

Cheers

A very interested & curious lady x

P.S. I always got told off at school for asking too many questions as well :yes:

Social source share

Can you scan you flyers Alison? Wouldn't mind a look. If I remember rightly they didn't have many rare night downstairs, might have been the only one.

I'll have a go Chalky. Now where did I put those flyers :thumbsup: Only kidding I know where some of them are. Give me a couple of days :yes:

Social source share

Phil

I remember you & Jackie enticing me away from the Mod Scene by giving me a flyer for BQH at the Warehouse that Pat Brady used to run on a Thursday night in Leeds. I think this was 87.

How long had nighters at the Queens Hall been running before then ? It was HWSC (which I believe was you) who also ran the nighters in Hinkley & Burnley (remember when my friend fell down the steps in that Burnley Sports Hall :yes:)

I'm just interested to know who ran what from when. I dont need to know the ins & outs or whether there was any rivalry or under hand tactics. It doesn't concern me too much as my glory days were both HWSC nighters & the After Dark ones (Crofty) but I'm interested to know what happened before my time, if you know that.

Cheers

P.S. I always got told off at school for asking too many questions as well :thumbsup:

Think I went to one at The Festival Hall...Bolton I think..I'm sure that was a HWSC...

paul

Social source share

Think I went to one at The Festival Hall...Bolton I think..I'm sure that was a HWSC...

paul

Interesting. I didn't know that Paul.

I thought they ran 3 nighters Bradford,Hinkley & Burnley but saying that it was a VERY long time ago & I was only nipper so a bit dim when it came to the other nighters as Bradford was my world at that time :yes: x

Social source share

Interesting. I didn't know that Paul.

I thought they ran 3 nighters Bradford,Hinkley & Burnley but saying that it was a VERY long time ago & I was only nipper so a bit dim when it came to the other nighters as Bradford was my world at that time :yes: x

Think they may have done only one maybe i'm mixed up with something else,I went with Nige Parker..

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

paul

I definately d.j'd at that niter in Bolton run by Crofty, don't think the attendance was very good though.

Have lots of old Bradford etc flyers, will scan some tomorrow...

Social source share

I definately d.j'd at that niter in Bolton run by Crofty, don't think the attendance was very good though.

Have lots of old Bradford etc flyers, will scan some tomorrow...

You DJ'd this one as well, Darren.

Just found it in the flyer gallery on here.

Remember it well.

You and me and Paul Cakebread used to travel up there together.

Good times.

This must have been around 82/83, Alison.

O' course, £2.00 admission, was a months wages back then! :yes:

At that time, it was normally 'Northern' upstairs and 'Modern' downstairs.

I DJ'd both rooms at the time (versatile or what! rolleyes.gif).

Bradford came after Steve's success at Rotherham Clifton Hall & Cleethorpes and before Warrington (as I recall).

It was all getting a bit frantic, we were all over the place, like dog shit, which is when I decided to call it a day with allnighters :yes:.

Ha!........ Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

post-4120-0-47312300-1296439398_thumb.jp

Social source share

You DJ'd this one as well, Darren.

Just found it in the flyer gallery on here.

Remember it well.

You and me and Paul Cakebread used to travel up there together.

Good times.

This must have been around 82/83, Alison.

O' course, £2.00 admission, was a months wages back then! :lol:

At that time, it was normally 'Northern' upstairs and 'Modern' downstairs.

I DJ'd both rooms at the time (versatile or what! :rolleyes:).

Bradford came after Steve's success at Rotherham Clifton Hall & Cleethorpes and before Warrington (as I recall).

It was all getting a bit frantic, we were all over the place, like dog shit, which is when I decided to call it a day with allnighters :lol:.

Ha!........ Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!

:g:

Sean

So was After Dark before HWSC ?

Was Crofty something to do with HWSC as well. If so Blimey he had his fingers in all the pies didnt he ? :yes:

Social source share

Going through the calendars, unless I've missed something the only one I can find in the 80's with a Sat/Sun 10th and 11th July is 1982 :rolleyes: Chris Plant sold up mid 80's didn't he?

Excuse my complete ignorance Chalky but who is Chris Plant?

As you are a man in the know can you give me a brief bullet point of who ran the nighters at the Queens Hall & the years they ran them.

I am amazed as I didnt realise they went as far back as the early 80's & this really interests me.

Cheers :g:

Social source share

Excuse my complete ignorance Chalky but who is Chris Plant?

As you are a man in the know can you give me a brief bullet point of who ran the nighters at the Queens Hall & the years they ran them.

I am amazed as I didnt realise they went as far back as the early 80's & this really interests me.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Scroll back through this thread - started by Barry on the 31st of October 2008 - as it will give you the background on the QH all nighters .

Malc

Social source share

Phil

How long had nighters at the Queens Hall been running before then ? It was HWSC (which I believe was you) who also ran the nighters in Hinkley & Burnley (remember when my friend fell down the steps in that Burnley Sports Hall :ohmy:)

Cheers

P.S. I always got told off at school for asking too many questions as well :yes:

Hi Alison,

The HWSC was initially me and a mate, and we ran the first nighter under that banner in October 1987.

Crofty was part of the HWSC set up from the 3rd nighter (after "persuading" us by .... well it doesn't matter now, it's a long time ago)

The niters at Queens Hall ran under HWSC until first part of 1991 (when I got collared by the Inland Revenue) and it became After Dark from then. I got a bit disillusioned by some of the "politics" then and rarely ventured to any kind of soul do for a couple of years or so.

HWSC ran all niters 5 times a month for most of 1988,89 & 90. Vnues included - Bradford Queens Hall, Burnley Thompson Centre, Bolton Town Hall, Hinckley Leisure Centre and Leeds Astoria.

In early 80's After Dark ran all-niters at Queens Hall in 1982 & 83 before moving to Bensons Bierkeller in late 83. Chris Burton ran a one-off all-niter at Queens Hall in 1985. This was very badly attended and Chris did one at abou 3am and left most of the DJ's and door staff unpaid :thumbsup:

Queens Hall was first (to me anyway) put on the soul map via the alldayers that Ivor Allen used to run in the late 70's through to early 80's.

Place is ruined now, but some great memories persist.

Phil

Edited by phild
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert