Ebay Acetate - Little Wille Johnson

Anyone checked out this piece on ebay??

https://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRA-RARE-NORTHERN-SO...1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems a really stange item, but is it authentic, some questions ....???

What on earth is an undistributed tiny New Orleans label release doing on an acetate in California?

Not only that, why does the acetate carry the B side only of the release on both sides?

Why are there no credits on the acetate?

Most audiodisc acetates I've had usually have a black and red label on them, yet this is white and doesn't look like proper label paper stock?

The cut edge on the inside centre of the aluminium seems clean and doesn't look like its carrying the same weathering as the labels, nor the play surfaces, judging from the sound clip.

Very Odd :):thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Anyone checked out this piece on ebay??

https://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRA-RARE-NORTHERN-SO...1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems a really stange item, but is it authentic, some questions ....???

What on earth is an undistributed tiny New Orleans label release doing on an acetate in California?

Not only that, why does the acetate carry the B side only of the release on both sides?

Why are there no credits on the acetate?

Most audiodisc acetates I've had usually have a black and red label on them, yet this is white and doesn't look like proper label paper stock?

The cut edge on the inside centre of the aluminium seems clean and doesn't look like its carrying the same weathering as the labels, nor the play surfaces, judging from the sound clip.

Very Odd :):thumbsup:

the seller is tommy potts, he's a collector and he's on here, asking how a new orleans record got to him in california is like asking how a new orleans record got to the UK

Social source share

Bob, read the listing, he says he got it from an ex-juke box operator, along with a Lenny Welch acetate??? Think about it.. how odd is that!

I saw that, he doesn't say where he got it. Either way, some odd things show up in different places. Maybe he will answer your questions, it doesn't look that odd to me though. Also, most red and black audiodisc acetates I've seen / had are early-to-mid 60s, are later ones usually like that -- most later ones I have or have seen aren't red and black (they also usually don't have a label like that though).

Social source share

I saw that, he doesn't say where he got it. Either way, some odd things show up in different places. Maybe he will answer your questions, it doesn't look that odd to me though. Also, most red and black audiodisc acetates I've seen / had are early-to-mid 60s, are later ones usually like that -- most later ones I have or have seen aren't red and black (they also usually don't have a label like that though).

also, looking more at it, it looks maybe like a custom cut record from the 80s. There's a record store in Chicago, Beverly records, that used to do that for people. I can't explain why someone in california would cut that song though.

Social source share

Isn't there a scratch on one side, why do that to a new record even when the track is on both sides and it sounds a tad cleaner, fresher than the 45? :thumbsup: is the voice a different mix further back in the mix with more echo and the bass is a bit extended.

vocal does sound further back but could that just be the quality of the mp3 ?

don't think it sounds fresher than the 45 thoough.

so how do you establish provenance with an acetate like this ?

Social source share

Take my word for it Dylan is a different Mix more like you would expect the acetate to sound than going through the pressing process.. An echoie glow around the voice missing on the record

When you listen to that MP3 its of a poor quality compared again to the acetate that could of never been cut from that MP3.

loneliness.mp3

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

That's not taken off the record. That's a slightly different pressing/mix/sound recording which you would expect from an acetate.

I'm wondering if it sounds quiet, compared to the clicks from the scratches on it. I might be wrong, but the drums are certainly not as high in the mix as on the vinyl, which for me is the most important part of the record. What a voice though, would have made a perfect Don Gardner cover up.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

That's not taken off the record. That's a slightly different pressing/mix/sound recording which you would expect from an acetate.

I'm wondering if it sounds quiet, compared to the clicks from the scratches on it. I might be wrong, but the drums are certainly not as high in the mix as on the vinyl, which for me is the most important part of the record. What a voice though, would have made a perfect Don Gardner cover up.

Sorry James its the Bass drum and bass guitar that is extended seems to spread out from the voice leaving it open with a glow around it. :thumbsup: You have the record??

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Sorry James its the Bass drum and bass guitar that is extended seems to spread out from the voice leaving it open with a glow around it. :thumbsup: You have the record??

Well, quite.

Yeah, I got it. Been hammering it recently. Awesome tune, possibly my favorite record ever.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

What a toon this is, brilliant :thumbsup:

I'll be playing it at Rugby next weekend. Worth the trip just to hear that one record out full volume, IMO. It's a special one.

Social source share

New Orleans? I always throught it was from Valdosta, I mean Savannah Georgia.

Willie_Johnson3.jpg

scan stolen from the Sir Shambling page.

Edited by Agent45
Social source share

I've bought several records off Tommy's auctions in the past but I don't like this note at the bottom - surely that can't be legal?

NO REFUNDS ON ITEMS - RECORDS ARE SOLD AS GRADED OR AS-IS - NO EXCEPTIONS!

I saw that ages ago and won't bid on his listings. Plenty other sellers out there.

Derek

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Did Marc Forrest win the acetate?

Hey Marc, I thought you told me you had the record? What you doing with the acetate if you've got the vinyl? :lol:

Social source share

Is this a good price for the record or an acetate or the acetate.

I would think for the record you'd have to pay quite a bit more than this.

I don't know about acetate prices althouhg i personally value them less unless it is unissued and it did sound pretty crackly to me on the mp3.

Social source share

never heard this track before and only know the short sound clip via the Ebay auction but it's not good anyway no.gif I hope this doesn't get played at venues??

This is not bad imo, but it's nothing special to me. Can't see it being so big in the scene now!

And what about this acetate, have we understood if it's real or not?

Social source share

I saw that ages ago and won't bid on his listings. Plenty other sellers out there.

Derek

purchased 2 45s off this seller 3 months ago.won 1 on auction great condition, 2nd one was a buy it @ auction winning bid price as two were available same condition.although when it arrived styrene was almost white with needle burn ,label very rough and snap crackle n pop start to finish. i sent it back but it never arrived and as it wasnt recorded couldnt trace it so lost out on this occasion ,i learnt my lesson though wink.gif

Social source share

purchased 2 45s off this seller 3 months ago.won 1 on auction great condition, 2nd one was a buy it @ auction winning bid price as two were available same condition.although when it arrived styrene was almost white with needle burn ,label very rough and snap crackle n pop start to finish. i sent it back but it never arrived and as it wasnt recorded couldnt trace it so lost out on this occasion ,i learnt my lesson though wink.gif

It isn't much to send recorded to the US as well always do it on the return but it then goes through another system to trace but they have to prove to paypal that they never signed for the package :lol: .

Social source share

Did Marc Forrest win the acetate?

Hey Marc, I thought you told me you had the record? What you doing with the acetate if you've got the vinyl? :thumbsup:

Hi there James, you missunderstood me..it was the Little Willie on PJ I already had. I told you this along chatting about my Buddy Cantrell on Tuska that you seemed to want also. I wouldn`t have minded a Vanessa copy though of course as 50 % of my love for this artist is for his high quality Deep sides.

Tommy is I believe a reliable seller as one can be...sometimes hard to get, I agree...but who is not from time to time wink.gif

Marc

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hi there James, you missunderstood me..it was the Little Willie on PJ I already had. I told you this along chatting about my Buddy Cantrell on Tuska that you seemed to want also. I wouldn`t have minded a Vanessa copy though of course as 50 % of my love for this artist is for his high quality Deep sides.

Tommy is I believe a reliable seller as one can be...sometimes hard to get, I agree...but who is not from time to time :P

Marc

Are you sure? I'll fish the emails out, I'll have them stored somewhere. Didn't you mail someone telling them that I was trying to buy it off you as well? Wasn't it Wrighty?

Must be crossed wires somewhere, or a wind up, I thought it was a bit odd someone saying they had a record like that and never playing it out unsure.gif

You've got it now, anyway. That's the main thing :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Are you sure? I'll fish the emails out, I'll have them stored somewhere. Didn't you mail someone telling them that I was trying to buy it off you as well? Wasn't it Wrighty?

Must be crossed wires somewhere, or a wind up, I thought it was a bit odd someone saying they had a record like that and never playing it out unsure.gif

You've got it now, anyway. That's the main thing :thumbsup:

When I was deejaying with Wrighty in Gijon earlier this year in march we were discussing a lot of things incl. records...it was there that I told him that I have Little Willie on PJ which surprised him as we both agreed on the fact that the PJ is harder than the Vanessa. Later on in the year when he was deejaying here in Berlin it was exactly the time when I had your offer. So while we were again talking about -records what else :P - I mentioned that to him...only to be told that he just .... .

The Little Willie I played heavily 2007 and 2008, it was also included in my mix I did upload here and on fryers and was just only last month that I did put it back on the shelf to get some well deserved rest now for a while.

However, obviously we had a bad communiaction with a missunderstanding but as you just said, main thing is that vinly is secured :P

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

When I was deejaying with Wrighty in Gijon earlier this year in march we were discussing a lot of things incl. records...it was there that I told him that I have Little Willie on PJ which surprised him as we both agreed on the fact that the PJ is harder than the Vanessa. Later on in the year when he was deejaying here in Berlin it was exactly the time when I had your offer. So while we were again talking about -records what else :thumbsup: - I mentioned that to him...only to be told that he just .... .

The Little Willie I played heavily 2007 and 2008, it was also included in my mix I did upload here and on fryers and was just only last month that I did put it back on the shelf to get some well deserved rest now for a while.

However, obviously we had a bad communiaction with a missunderstanding but as you just said, main thing is that vinly is secured wink.gif

Marc

Well, acetate secured anyway :P

Social source share

Tommy is I believe a reliable seller as one can be...sometimes hard to get, I agree...but who is not from time to time wink.gif

Marc

You'd play hard to get too if you had to wait 6 months for "someone" to pay up... if you get what i'm saying Marc :wicked:

P.S. Your payments are nearly due for those records you won :D

Social source share

NO REFUNDS ON ITEMS - RECORDS ARE SOLD AS GRADED OR AS-IS - NO EXCEPTIONS!

Didnt stop you buying three records off of me this auction, did it?

Social source share

purchased 2 45s off this seller 3 months ago.won 1 on auction great condition, 2nd one was a buy it @ auction winning bid price as two were available same condition.although when it arrived styrene was almost white with needle burn ,label very rough and snap crackle n pop start to finish. i sent it back but it never arrived and as it wasnt recorded couldnt trace it so lost out on this occasion ,i learnt my lesson though :wicked:

If this is regarding the 45 i'm thinking of then yes it didnt arrive back to me after i offered a full refund. I do have another copy sitting here that i said i'd be willing to do a deal on with you, but instead of organizing a deal with me you just decided to get dramatic with all the "learnt my lesson" nonsence. If you want it then drop me an e-mail i'll give you a good price on it... as i've already told you.

Social source share

No bit it will from now on if you keep that f*cking attitude up and if these records aren't all as stated you're having them back and I'm getting my money back. Great customer service Tommy.

It's a shame you just talked to me like that, considering you usually buy something off of me on my auctions. I'll leave it at that for now as i've not got the time to be dealing with you.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert