Soulsider

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Looks like the same scan used on one on Popsike that sold November 07 :thumbup:

I like how their only feedback is pretty much from buying a "learn how to sell on ebay" CD, plus that fake flowers seller was also from small town illinois, which is suspicious if the photo on this also isn't original.

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

He sold these recent

Joann Courcy and a Rose Batiste

Bit early for feedback though :thumbup:

If he is for real, he should have at least took the time and effort to take his own photograph of Al Williams!

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Soz Proph, I wasn't having a dig at your post re: feedback. :thumbup: , I perhaps didn't write it too well, slap me. He only sold them 24th & 26th of this month, doubt the buyers would have received them yet. He did have a few other pricier bits listed that didn't sell.

Social source share

Soz Proph, I wasn't having a dig at your post re: feedback. :thumbup: , I perhaps didn't write it too well, slap me. He only sold them 24th & 26th of this month, doubt the buyers would have received them yet. He did have a few other pricier bits listed that didn't sell.

No it was me who didn't do my home work and check his sales but only his feedback, slap for me I think :thumbup:

Social source share

I've e-mailed him before about about a different record. I guess he's an old dude that has been collecting since the 60's, and I heard that he used to be a radio DJ back then or something too?

He was bragging about this record telling me that he put a reserve of $3,000 on it, and is one of those guys that got a hold of a Manship guide and then tells you exactly how rare his records are when he really doesn't have a clue.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Why the surprise ?

Just as there are surely more than two real Frank Wilson's out there !

Wouldn't say that's the best of comparisons. Al Williams was actually released and available to buy in stores, after all. Might not have had many takers, granted, but it did at least have the opportunity to sell, and therefore it probably achieved some kind of distribution beyond Detroit, even if only to the neighbouring States. And it would have been sent out to radio and press, given that the label pressed a promo.

Frank Wilson was cancelled before release and, if we are to believe what's been said about it, all the copies were scrapped except for the couple that 'escaped' from the Quality Control department. It was never serviced to radio or press, and never reached the shops.

I personally don't believe that there are only two Frank Wilson's in exsitence, either. But I would imagine that there are less than ten, which certainly can't be the case with Al Williams, which I think we should consider 'common' by comparison.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

old friend of mine from welligborough..named terry williams.....has a brother called AL williams wonder if he might turn up :huh:

Social source share

Wouldn't say that's the best of comparisons. Al Williams was actually released and available to buy in stores, after all. Might not have had many takers, granted, but it did at least have the opportunity to sell, and therefore it probably achieved some kind of distribution beyond Detroit, even if only to the neighbouring States. And it would have been sent out to radio and press, given that the label pressed a promo.

Frank Wilson was cancelled before release and, if we are to believe what's been said about it, all the copies were scrapped except for the couple that 'escaped' from the Quality Control department. It was never serviced to radio or press, and never reached the shops.

I personally don't believe that there are only two Frank Wilson's in exsitence, either. But I would imagine that there are less than ten, which certainly can't be the case with Al Williams, which I think we should consider 'common' by comparison.

Very true Tony, it was just my way of expressing my constant amusement at the blinkered perspective that the rare soul scene often takes as regards the numbers bandied about of certain pieces .

But while we're on the mythology of the Frank Wilson 45, the thing that has always bugged me about the alleged story behind it is why did Motown have to destroy most or all of the copies ?!!?!!

It's not as if the record was going to be a threat to national security or reveal state secrets !!!

And to my knowledge Motown never did this (actively destroy all copies) on any other record.

If they didn't want the Frank Wilson record issued or promoted or to have it succeed for reasons such as : not wanting to have Frank score a hit and then seek success as an artist, well they just had to have a word to their pluggers and promotions men and just tell them to drop it from the lists !

Like they did with some other Motown records.

They didn't have to go round up all the copies and melt them down or smash them or obliterate them out of existence !!!! It just doesn't make sense !

So can someone actually justify , logically , why they supposedly chose to destroy all copies ????

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Very true Tony, it was just my way of expressing my constant amusement at the blinkered perspective that the rare soul scene often takes as regards the numbers bandied about of certain pieces .

But while we're on the mythology of the Frank Wilson 45, the thing that has always bugged me about the alleged story behind it is why did Motown have to destroy most or all of the copies ?!!?!!

It's not as if the record was going to be a threat to national security or reveal state secrets !!!

And to my knowledge Motown never did this (actively destroy all copies) on any other record.

If they didn't want the Frank Wilson record issued or promoted or to have it succeed for reasons such as : not wanting to have Frank score a hit and then seek success as an artist, well they just had to have a word to their pluggers and promotions men and just tell them to drop it from the lists !

Like they did with some other Motown records.

They didn't have to go round up all the copies and melt them down or smash them or obliterate them out of existence !!!! It just doesn't make sense !

So can someone actually justify , logically , why they supposedly chose to destroy all copies ????

Ron Murphy's story was that there was only a test press of 6 copies. If that's the case, they probably didn't go on to destroy anything, and it's not unlikely that only 2-3 survived.

Social source share

I've e-mailed him before about about a different record. I guess he's an old dude that has been collecting since the 60's, and I heard that he used to be a radio DJ back then or something too?

He was bragging about this record telling me that he put a reserve of $3,000 on it, and is one of those guys that got a hold of a Manship guide and then tells you exactly how rare his records are when he really doesn't have a clue.

Look at his auctions now. He stole images and DESCRIPTIONS from other auctions. What's awesome is that his venturas auction is stolen from an auction where the label had the name scratched out, in the first part of his auction he says the label is perfect except for some x's, then in the second part (his copied description) it describes the label being scratched out as pictured. what a joke.

Edited by boba
Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Both Jimmy Mack and Venturas photos he's using have gone through on Popsike.

Venturas $585 June 2008 - (scratched out name on Popsike photo)

Jimmy Mack $860 Sept 2006 (same 3 white spots as 12 o'clock on the record the sellers listing and the small scuff/rub looking mark at between 3 & 4 O'clock)

The cheek of it! ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest veep1296

A 2 horse race and it went for $2800 is that a bit much for a copy of this.

An observation that may be of interest to some here on SS.

The winner of this nice item has the surname McCruden in their id,

Some on here may remember me having a major issue a year and a bit ago with a "seller" from Inverness? ref a Freddie Chavez Issue i won that was never sent.

During my research i became aware that the "seller" in question from Inverness has a daughter with the married name McCruden.

Following in Dads footsteps or a complete coincidence of course! :thumbsup: ?

Regards

David

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Humm I wonder where Poppy is now Veepie.

He has been bidding & possibly winning "Big" items on JM auction too ,with a pseudonym name that was easy for me to suss. ( "Johnny on the Spot", Freddie Chavez demo ironically ! i noticed him bidding on!)

Regards

David

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fatius Bumius

Here it is again - Ebay Item: 230308928815 using the same label scan as the last one. Sellers are both Illinois, similar description and terms.

Some other high priced bits for sale as well :thumbup:

Social source share

Here it is again - Ebay Item: 230308928815 using the same label scan as the last one. Sellers are both Illinois, similar description and terms.

Some other high priced bits for sale as well :rolleyes:

More than likely it's the same seller. As I said, he told me that he wanted at least $3,000 or he was going to keep it until he could sell it for that.

The guy is legit though. Got a friend who's been over to his house and seen the record.

Social source share

Yeah, it's the same seller.

He worked for a record distributer in Chicago during the 60's, so he's got a ton(thousands) of unplayed promo copies of records that were just given to him. Sad part for me is, he got hold of a Manship guide, and since his stock is for the most part unplayed, he wants full book price.

Social source share

Yeah, it's the same seller.

He worked for a record distributer in Chicago during the 60's, so he's got a ton(thousands) of unplayed promo copies of records that were just given to him. Sad part for me is, he got hold of a Manship guide, and since his stock is for the most part unplayed, he wants full book price.

he already got negatived from selling non-record items with other people's photos (e.g. sold an old piece of equipment with a new photo). maybe he needs to invest in a scanner if he really has all those records. I still don't see any feedback on him from recent record sales.

Social source share

he already got negatived from selling non-record items with other people's photos (e.g. sold an old piece of equipment with a new photo). maybe he needs to invest in a scanner if he really has all those records. I still don't see any feedback on him from recent record sales.

That's because none of his of his stuff really sells. He either has a really high reserve or has a starting price that is already way more than the record is worth.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert