Raphael Saadiq

Guest sjay

Once in a while (actually once in avery long time!!) along come a brand new record that re writes the rule book of contempory Soul music . Forget abour Mark Ronson , Duffy , Amy Winehouse , now even Tom Jones is giving it a go!. Rapheal Saadiq has just released an amazing retro soul album , with real instrumentation and real legends of a golden era on the credits ,when did you last see names like Jack Ashford and Paul Riser credited on a brand new release?

Hope this has whetted your curiosity have googled and found this page check it out and then go to page 2 and listen to the love that girl video .......................................https://www.femalefirst.co.uk/music/feature...aadiq-5954.html

Steve

Edited by sjay
Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Nik Mak

Here's a Youtube link with a lot of his recent songs performed live : Raphael Saadiq live in concert

I love his LP !

cover_raphael-saadiq_the-way-i-see-it.jpg

Hopefully all those people who have viewed that 'Other' thread will check this out and go out and buy this album. This is where the future of soul music lies not rehashing brilliant old records badly! What sort of stunning performances could we have been treated to if the same attention to detail had been afforded some of the artists used by Levine? Saadiq's album is just awesome and brings 60's soul right up to date and will no doubt appeal to a much wider audiance than just the peeps on here. LOVE IT! :D

Social source share

Hopefully all those people who have viewed that 'Other' thread will check this out and go out and buy this album. This is where the future of soul music lies not rehashing brilliant old records badly! What sort of stunning performances could we have been treated to if the same attention to detail had been afforded some of the artists used by Levine? Saadiq's album is just awesome and brings 60's soul right up to date and will no doubt appeal to a much wider audiance than just the peeps on here. LOVE IT! :D

Uuups, just checked the new songs and he really turned "retro". Which sounds pretty good. I liked him in the past as well. Love D'Angelo too. Well, the first 2 Albums. " Brown Sugar" is a Soul milestone!

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Sir, yes Sir! :D

Oh and in Lucy pearl too as far as I remember.

Yep he was in T,T,T and worked with Lucy Pearl.

The guy is a genius IMHO.

The new album is great :lol:

Social source share

Yep he was in T,T,T and worked with Lucy Pearl.

The guy is a genius IMHO.

The new album is great :thumbup:

Hi Gavin hope youre well mate , have got to agree with you he is a hugely talented artist and this album is THE REAL DEAL!! :thumbup:

steve

Social source share

In all honesty fella's, as good as this album is, I fail to see how a guy who's talent has never been in question can be seen as raising the bar by releasing an album that uses a sound and production values that have gone before :huh:

As most of you know, my roots to soul music ARE in 60's music, but why does it take a new release that sounds old to generate so much interest on here in a guy that's always displayed a remarkable talent?

I guess I know the answer to that, this forum's all (well, mostly) about old music isn't it...........it's just so frustrating!!!

Soul doesn't exist beyond that sound for some unfortunately :thumbup:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

In all honesty fella's, as good as this album is, I fail to see how a guy who's talent has never been in question can be seen as raising the bar by releasing an album that uses a sound and production values that have gone before :huh:

As most of you know, my roots to soul music ARE in 60's music, but why does it take a new release that sounds old to generate so much interest on here in a guy that's always displayed a remarkable talent?

I guess I know the answer to that, this forum's all (well, mostly) about old music isn't it...........it's just so frustrating!!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Hi Mark you very well know that I dont think the way that you suggest , I posted this simply in the hope that some of the people that wont seem to accept anything thats not as you say, NOT OLD ,should actually listen to some of the new releases and they would be very suprised indeed.

It is easy to simply blank anything recorded after 1969 or for that matter 1980 , or whenever.posting this was simply an attempt to remove some of the blinkers that still remain , I thought for 60s fans this would be a good place to start!!

Steve

Social source share

Cheers,

Mark R

MARK,

well said. I'm glad someone put the brakes on this retro love fest.

Yep it sounds ok but personally I think its contrived.

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

The 'review' on my site was less than flattering too!

"Raphael Saadiq - The Way I see it

It was great that Raphael Saadiq turned up at the conference, as I would still put him into the genius category, but this set does absolutely nothing for me. As I have said elsewhere before I see no point in replicating what has happened before- influences and history should be used to enhance, and this is where this falls short.

As compared to say Heston as an example, who quite freely uses a Marvin Gaye influence and uses it to enhance and build on the genre so you get advancement in the music. This motown-esque pastiche is no more than that- indeed it is very flat and one dimensional. I'd go so far as to say that it is harmful rather than progressive."

Social source share

The 'review' on my site was less than flattering too!

"Raphael Saadiq - The Way I see it

It was great that Raphael Saadiq turned up at the conference, as I would still put him into the genius category, but this set does absolutely nothing for me. As I have said elsewhere before I see no point in replicating what has happened before- influences and history should be used to enhance, and this is where this falls short.

As compared to say Heston as an example, who quite freely uses a Marvin Gaye influence and uses it to enhance and build on the genre so you get advancement in the music. This motown-esque pastiche is no more than that- indeed it is very flat and one dimensional. I'd go so far as to say that it is harmful rather than progressive."

I can see that the last couple of posts are thinking that the man has taken a huge step backwards not forwards as regards musical progression.

Maybe I titled the thread badly , I did this to increase the number of people who would read this thread , as simple as that, I am not saying at all that any new Soul music should sound as though it was recorded in Detroit in the 60s.

This site is a predominately Northern Soul affair , which is the reason I chose this site ,not say EMS where people are more than familiar with this artist , this is the kind of album that someone will "discover" in a few years and everyone will be chasing a copy.

So many people on the Northern scene see anything post 1975 as disco , but will accept Duffy ,Frank Popp etc , but would never even think to listen to a new release from this man.

It will i hope be appreciated by some of the more open minded Northern fans who will I hope listen to this and then gradually accept more contempary soul records.

Steve

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

for me, northern soul is the highest form of musical expression (oddities aside), and it is no wonder that a lot of people have recently jumped on the bandwaggon. the northern soul scene has witnessed many other musicle genres come and go, and today, internationaly, is even more popular and mysterious. this is because the northern soul scene found the philosophers stone in the all-nighters of the 1970's, where base plastic (the record) was turned into pure spirit through an alchemical process expressed in the music and the dancers, which even the ancient alchemists could not comprehend in their laboratories. a religion founded on expression, humility and friendship.

keep the faith. :huh:

Social source share

Im a bit perplexed as to why some people on here seem to assume that because you're into predominanyly 60's soul 45s you only possess rudimentary critical facilities. Whilst admitting it's a lot better than Duffy etc and "Love that girl" has a nice groove it just doesn't have the feel of a 60's 45. Sure more than a passing resemblance but still sounds like a Motown pastiche to me from the David Ruffin look to the Stevie Wonder "growl" [it is him I assume] on "Stayin in love"

ROD

Social source share

Hi Mark you very well know that I dont think the way that you suggest , I posted this simply in the hope that some of the people that wont seem to accept anything thats not as you say, NOT OLD ,should actually listen to some of the new releases and they would be very suprised indeed.

It is easy to simply blank anything recorded after 1969 or for that matter 1980 , or whenever.posting this was simply an attempt to remove some of the blinkers that still remain , I thought for 60s fans this would be a good place to start!!

Steve

Steve,

I do very well know that mate, and do exactly understand why you used this as an example of a new artist's new release on here...........so, this was no way aimed at you, although you did say something along the lines of it had set a new standard, which I do disagree with for the reasons stated........a great talent NOT doing something new. Other than that, I can see your angle totally mate.

With respect,

Mark R

Social source share

I'd go so far as to say that it is harmful rather than progressive."

I'd have to say that this is true from my viewpoint too Mike, if other artists see it as succesfull and follow suit!!

You noticed the influences on the new Kindred set mate? Again, it's a fine album, I like it, but hopefully these modern day talents won't all see this as the future...........certainly seems de rigueur at the moment!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Steve,

I do very well know that mate, and do exactly understand why you used this as an example of a new artist's new release on here...........so, this was no way aimed at you, although you did say something along the lines of it had set a new standard, which I do disagree with for the reasons stated........a great talent NOT doing something new. Other than that, I can see your angle totally mate.

With respect,

Mark R

Hi Mark the standard it has set and surpassed is with regard to the Mark Ronson retro "northen / 60s sound" why arent the Northern rooms hammering this excellent LP as if that is your bag this has got to be one of the finest examples of that genre??

They have embraced the other things I have mentioned including for example Frank Popps "Hip Teens" will they not get behind this one , or is it that they do not know it or simply disregard it because its by a contempory soul artist ??

I realise I might have worded the post badly as I dont think that this is the way all newly recorded soul music should sound , but it does throw up an interesting point.

The northern soul scene is basically a 2 decade scene as regards the vintage of the records, 60s - 70s (in many cases only a decade and a half as anything post 75 is disco , right? :thumbup: )

Whereas the modern scene spans 4 decades 70s - Y2k a huge diffence in styles , recording technique , instumentation vs synthesiers , samplers etc, so the modern scene is in a way even more fragmented than the mainstream northern scene. I would like to think I recognise a Soulful record when I hear one (from whatever year) but the thing that worries me about the whole scene are all the barriers that are in place .

Then when a record like this comes along neither scene wants to embrace is , so where does it belong??

Steve

Edited by sjay
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Hi Mark the standard it has set and surpassed is with regard to the Mark Ronson retro "northen / 60s sound" why arent the Northern rooms hammering this excellent LP as if that is your bag this has got to be one of the finest examples of that genre??

They have embraced the other things I have mentioned including for example Frank Popps "Hip Teens" will they not get behind this one , or is it that they do not know it or simply disregard it because its by a contempory soul artist ??

I realise I might have worded the post badly as I dont think that this is the way all newly recorded soul music should sound , but it does throw up an interesting point.

The northern soul scene is basically a 2 decade scene as regards the vintage of the records, 60s - 70s (in many cases only a decade and a half as anything post 75 is disco , right? :huh: )

Whereas the modern scene spans 4 decades 70s - Y2k a huge diffence in styles , recording technique , instumentation vs synthesiers , samplers etc, so the modern scene is in a way even more fragmented than the mainstream northern scene. I would like to think I recognise a Soulful record when I hear one (from whatever year) but the thing that worries me about the whole scene are all the barriers that are in place .

Then when a record like this comes along neither scene wants to embrace is , so where does it belong??

Steve

Been listening to his new stuff since i read about it in Echoes a few months ago

Excellent stuff and will try to get along to his gig at the jazz cafe in november.

Al H :lol:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Goucha played a track off this album Friday at Wilton allnighter.Went down very well as quality soul music from whatever year will always be accepted.I understand Marks comments but Raphael does have previous a sthe Double Toni Toni Toni set from a few years back was very retro wasn,t it.

Trev

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

While a few people were being retro at the 100 club last night i was being retro with a modern soul twist at the jazz cafe last night for Raphael Saadiq.

What an amazing performance from the man and his excellent band and backing singers.

The lp the way i see it will go down as a soul classic in years to come.

He dedicated the song Big easy to New Orleans and said he wrote it after watching Spike Lees Documentry in 3 parts After the Levees broke.

Essential viewing if only to see how the THEN government of the most powerfull country in the world treated the citizens of New Orleans after Katrina.

One of the many highlights of the show was when Joss Stone came on to sing just one kiss with Raphael i was in soul heaven.

Love that girl could have been a Temps tune,Raphael sounded just like David Ruffin.

One hell of a gig and an amazing lp.

Al H :lol:

Social source share

While a few people were being retro at the 100 club last night i was being retro with a modern soul twist at the jazz cafe last night for Raphael Saadiq.

What an amazing performance from the man and his excellent band and backing singers.

The lp the way i see it will go down as a soul classic in years to come.

He dedicated the song Big easy to New Orleans and said he wrote it after watching Spike Lees Documentry in 3 parts After the Levees broke.

Essential viewing if only to see how the THEN government of the most powerfull country in the world treated the citizens of New Orleans after Katrina.

One of the many highlights of the show was when Joss Stone came on to sing just one kiss with Raphael i was in soul heaven.

Love that girl could have been a Temps tune,Raphael sounded just like David Ruffin.

One hell of a gig and an amazing lp.

Al H :ohmy:

Hi Al

Missed you last night. Mind you we were upstairs in the Champagne bar shaking our jewellery. Great gig wunnit. Joss was actually sitting at the next table to us with Mica Parish on the other side. Superb night. Your right the album is excellent.

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Hi Al

Missed you last night. Mind you we were upstairs in the Champagne bar shaking our jewellery. Great gig wunnit. Joss was actually sitting at the next table to us with Mica Parish on the other side. Superb night. Your right the album is excellent.

you b*stards!!!

i can't believe you are rubbin it in that i couldn't get a ticket for the jazz cafe shows - didn't know he was over until it was sold out

instant vintage was a masterpiece

ray ray was a truly great album

the new album is very fine indeed....100 yard dash is my favourite track, but the more you listen to it the more you appreciate the subtleties of the downtempo tracks

this is indeed the real deal

kings go forth? bollocks, shallow stuff - this is what is really happenin

as one of his fans says on one of his web pages....he is bomb

i am soooooh gutted i missed the shows this week - warren i hate you :ohmy:

Social source share

you b*stards!!!

i can't believe you are rubbin it in that i couldn't get a ticket for the jazz cafe shows - didn't know he was over until it was sold out

instant vintage was a masterpiece

ray ray was a truly great album

the new album is very fine indeed....100 yard dash is my favourite track, but the more you listen to it the more you appreciate the subtleties of the downtempo tracks

this is indeed the real deal

kings go forth? bollocks, shallow stuff - this is what is really happenin

as one of his fans says on one of his web pages....he is bomb

i am soooooh gutted i missed the shows this week - warren i hate you :ohmy:

I feel your pain laugh.gif:(laugh.gif

Social source share

Thanks everyone for the posts was worried for a bit that this was going to sink without a trace , people on the Northern scene who wouldnt normally give a brand new release a listen really do need to hear this record yes.gif .

Steve

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Thanks everyone for the posts was worried for a bit that this was going to sink without a trace , people on the Northern scene who wouldnt normally give a brand new release a listen really do need to hear this record :thumbup: .

Steve

check out the billboard interview when he says: i haven't made the victory run yet - he knows he's still learning

btw steve, the more intelligent and progresive people on the northern scene have always been open to new-release stuff since the 60s and 70s- it's the narrow-minded neandethals who are only open to the retro stuff........and they wear funny clothes ;o)

Social source share

hi sjay , just seen your post on raghael saadig, went to italy last year to terry jones do in cortavecchia, modern soul , and met 4 people from london , what great people ,last week got an email from them about raghael saadig , they went to the jazz cafe about 2 weeks ago to see this guy live ,they said what an amazing show , buy the c d , went on h m v , found a copy for 8 99 ,cd on its way class music , see you guys at spalding soon , john and vicky pearson

Social source share

hi sjay , just seen your post on raghael saadig, went to italy last year to terry jones do in cortavecchia, modern soul , and met 4 people from london , what great people ,last week got an email from them about raghael saadig , they went to the jazz cafe about 2 weeks ago to see this guy live ,they said what an amazing show , buy the c d , went on h m v , found a copy for 8 99 ,cd on its way class music , see you guys at spalding soon , john and vicky pearson

Hi John ,you will love it ,I played Love That Girl @ ITS on the Charity Nite .........sounds so good played out LOUD & PROUD .......see you there 5th Dec :thumbup:

Steve

Social source share

Guest Jayne Carter

Sticking my neck out here as not heard this yet, but check this out when it drops:

https://www.play.com/Music/CD/-/23/43/-/796...earchtype=genre

If it lives up to his previous work, it'll be essential. THE man of Y2K+, no question.....a true soul man.

Now watch it transpire that he's gone all retro on us too!! :thumbsup::wub:laugh.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

TUNEAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert