November 08 Cd Swap

John Reed

Yes Pat a couple of weeks ago now.....I guess you didnt recieve it, if thats so I'll get another in the post pronto.

Anyone else not recieved mine?

Best

Blake

Thanks Blake, don't do anything yet, give it to the end of the year and I'll let you know. Was particularly looking forward to your selection.

Pat

Social source share

• Replies 215
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi all, mine is slightly delayed due to problems with the recordings. Now done with a portable Numark and my laptop so sound quality is not the best but decent. Will try to get them all out early next week so will miss the Christmas deadline but arrive soon after.

Regards, Karl

Social source share

Hiya Guys & Joan.

Some great stuff dropping on my door mat thumbsup.gif

I THINK CREDIT CRUNCH, the only thing expanding more than my wants list is my waist band yes.gif

GREAT STUFF ONCE AGAIN!

My CD, should have made it's way to you all, with the possible exceptions of our Foreign Imports.............. Who will have it very shortly.

BEST

Bully thumbup.gif

P.S. If anyone wants to know any details about any tracks on mine, just PM me!

Bully,

Your cd doesn't work in any of my CD players - is it an audio disc - or should I stick it in the pc?

Social source share

I'm joining some of the others in the naughty corner....got all the CDs burnt but was hoping to treat myself to a new printer with a CD print tray and then make all the CDs look pretty! But thats not going to happen for a little while now so you'll all have to put up with plain CDs and my poor handwriting on them!

Will get them in the post between Christmas and the New Year. Big thanks to everyone who has already sent theirs out...some great stuff :lol: .

Adam.

Social source share

Guys, I said i`d be late with mine right from the start. I should be doing the master tomorrow and getting them in the post some time this week.

I have really enjoyed the few i have played so far..got the others all lined up ready for a spin soon.

Sorry, i wont be producing any fancy artwork...hope some quality tunes make up for the lack of presentation!

Cheers, Chris

Social source share

Due to an unexpected family bereavement I haven't had a chance of completing the CD.

But should be done and posted out by early new year.

Not had a chance to listen to all I've recieved so apologies in advance if I duplicate any tracks.

Tabs

Guys, I said i`d be late with mine right from the start. I should be doing the master tomorrow and getting them in the post some time this week.

I have really enjoyed the few i have played so far..got the others all lined up ready for a spin soon.

Sorry, i wont be producing any fancy artwork...hope some quality tunes make up for the lack of presentation!

Cheers, Chris

Social source share

Finally started burning my cd's should be posted out on Saturday morning.

Derek

Just burning off the last few cd's tonight. My printer has decided to lay down and die on me so i'll post the playlist up here for everyone.

All the tracks have been picked up in the last 4 months - a right mixture of styles - something for everyone i hope!!

1. Frankie "Zhivago" Young / Village Rams - Teeny weeny bit - Elite records (lp track)

2. The Drifters - You can't love them all - Atlantic 45

3. King Solomon - You ain't nothing but a teenager - Resist 45

4. Lowell Fulsom - Talking woman - Kent 45

5. Roger Jessup - Nobody's fault but mine - Ken-yatta 45

6. Akab Allstars - You make me so hot (funk mix) - D-Vision 12"

7. Marva Whitney - I made a mistake because it's only you pt.1 - King 45

8. Swinging Medallions - We're gonna hate ourselves in the morning - 123 recs 45

9. Branding Iron - Right, tight and out of sight - Volt 45

10. Sam & Dave - Baby-baby don't stop now - Atlantic 45

11. Passions - A toast - GSF 45

12. Fred Waters - I wish for a miracle - Ref-o-ree 45

13. Passions - One night affair - GSF 45

14. True Reflection - Silent treatment - Atco 45

15. Danny Hunt - What's happening to our love affair - Dynamite 45

16. Supremes - Color my world blue - TMG 1029

17. G C Cameron - What it is, what it is - Mowest 45

18. Tyrone Davis - Can't help but say - Columbia 45

19. Freelife - Wish you were here - Epic 45

20. Dee Dee Sharp - This love won't run out - Atco 45

21. Chi-lites - Love is gone - Revue 45

22. Dee Dee Sharp - Help me find my groove - Atco 45

23. Renaldo Domino - I'm hip to your game - Smash 45

24. Sharon Britt - Guess who i belong to - Avco 45

25. Watts Community choir - What the world needs now - Proverb 45

cheers

Derek

Social source share

Guest mel brat

All the tracks have been picked up in the last 4 months - a right mixture of styles - something for everyone i hope!!

15. Danny Hunt - What's happening to our love affair - Dynamite 45

19. Freelife - Wish you were here - Epic 45

Derek

I love these two, but particularly the Danny Hunt. One of my all-time faves. :lol:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/blackpo...0-album907.html

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Mine should be with you now...posted first class yeasterday...

Again, sorry for the delay, but i did say that from the outset!

Chris

Chris

Arrived yesterday, many thanks enjoying it to and from work today.

Has anyone received a CD from our American friend yet ?

Cheers

Pat

Social source share

Cane 'ell you took your time didn't you!!

Humble alopogies everyone, mine have now been posted out. I am a very bad boy.

:D:lol::lol:

Got it Tony, many thanks...

I assume you got that extra one from earlier in the year? it had no listing, so if there is anything you don't already know drop us a line..

Dont know how many I have now but must be 5 - 10 out..

mal

Social source share

Guys,

I'm cool with records on the wantslist or bought..., but I'm not a big fan of marking the CD's.

The CD's in the swaps are an expression of that persons taste. If you start saying ones better than another, that may put people off participating in future swaps. It potentially could lead future swappers just trying to outdo each other, putting on ultra rare tunes looking for gratification.

Just my thoughts.

John

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Guys,

I'm cool with records on the wantslist or bought..., but I'm not a big fan of marking the CD's.

The CD's in the swaps are an expression of that persons taste. If you start saying ones better than another, that may put people off participating in future swaps. It potentially could lead future swappers just trying to outdo each other, putting on ultra rare tunes looking for gratification.

Just my thoughts.

John

I agree.

If you find a tune that hits the spot - pm the compiler of the cd and tell them :)

Social source share

Guys,

Just my thoughts.

John

No, I didn't mean marking them. As you say, there are loads of different types of track on the CDs, I was just going to do a personal 2 or 3 favorites and make it a positive post as I've enjoyed listening to everything I've received even if some things weren't to my taste.

Maybe it would turn in to a ranking exercise though and that wouldn't be good. I'll post something up later today when I've had a look through them again and maybe listened to a few again .... another day gone :)

Social source share

as anybody had either of the foreign exports yet. :rolleyes:

with reference to reviews, for me, this has been my favorite swap yet. :)

been a real pleasure, so many thanks to all who contributed, cheers :lol:

alan

Only sent one abroad to Sweden. Have I missed someone out ?? :lol: Not Received any from abroad yet by the way

Social source share

Guest EType69

Has anyone been keeping count?

Was thinking of doing a review too - is that OK?

Along the lines of:

No 1 tune (or 5)

Best CD (or three)

Records bought after hearing on CDs

Records added to wants list but no realistic chance of ever getting :rolleyes:

Guess I'll lose marks for the typos & the fact that one track is misssing.... :):lol::lol:

Steve

Social source share

Right then a few comments:

Best track (IMHO): Willie Tee - Take Your Time

Hadn't heard it before and it is just superb. Also got the Jo wallace seal of approval :thumbup:

Records bought after hearing them on the CDs:

The Gambrells - I'm In Love Again For The First Time - Cub

Sounds like an expensive record but isn't! One of those "if this was rare .... " tracks

Sunny Carrington - The Girl Every Guy Should Know - Deep

Never heard of this before but it leapt into my ears shouting "Buy Me! Buy Me!" Thought it was going to be expensive but got one for $22.99 including postage.

Robert Thomas - Salvation - Charay

On a couple of CDs and really good (and missed the Cresa Watson version on ebay the other day too - drat! But it did go for what looked like a silly amount for a VG record)

James Kelly Duhon - In School - Jude

Again, on a couple of CDs and really stood out

The True Tones - He's Got The Nerve - Josie

Sounds like a proper oldie (whatever that is) - a doubtful bit of guitar in the middle but a great dancer

Carolyn Cooke - I Don't Mind - RCA

After hearing this and going looking for it, I saw that it is getting plays around the place too. Just pipped by Willie Tee as best track I hadn't heard before.

Wants list:

Keeping this to myself until I find them shhh.gif

Social source share

I received my Cd from Karl in Sweden yesterday...very nice too. Nothing from the States but i cant remember sending one their either!

Everyone should have mine now...shout up if i you haven`t received it.

Paul, Three of your faves were from my CD...know what you mean about that Sunny Carrington tune and the Carolyn Cooke sounds so good these days.

I think Ady Pountains CD has been my fave so far but i still have a stack that i haven`t played yet.

Cheers, Chris.

Social source share

Has anyone been keeping count?

Was thinking of doing a review too - is that OK?

Along the lines of:

No 1 tune (or 5)

Best CD (or three)

Records bought after hearing on CDs

Records added to wants list but no realistic chance of ever getting :no:

So far, cause I still have a pile to go through, Buey, Bully(had best CD last time out), and Joan stick out for me based on a CD of material, and the following tracks some of which I had heard but do not have any kind of recording on...

Joan

Vikki Styles - Tears Wont stop Falling

Soul Chargers - Every Beat of my Heart

The Intentions - I Love You

Buey

Tower of Power - Clever Girl

Family Underground - Nowhere to run

Rose St. John & The Wonderettes - Fool Dont Laugh

Family Underground - Nowhere to run

Lee Williams - A Woman from a Country Town

Bought the Tower of Power for a couple of Dollars last week, and now I've noticed them, christ they have made shed loads of great 7ts tracks.. all cheap!!!

Family Underground I'm aware of cause I visit Hollygrove site all the time, so there was a prompt to buy..

Pete C, and steve Bish had some nice tracks, I had totally forgot the Andrea Davis and chambers Brothers tune, killers!!

Finally best newie to me that is, was from Tony T, Rick James - Fool on the Street, absolute stepper, play the Family Underground beforehand and you got your self a PARTY!!!

I'll report on the remaining CD's when I get chance to properly hear them.. you dont with a 2 & a half year old and one on the way!!

ohh.. anybody got a Soul Chargers - Every Beat of my Heart / for sale? joan.....

Mal.C. :yes:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

I received my Cd from Karl in Sweden yesterday...very nice too. Nothing from the States but i cant remember sending one their either!

Everyone should have mine now...shout up if i you haven`t received it.

Paul, Three of your faves were from my CD...know what you mean about that Sunny Carrington tune and the Carolyn Cooke sounds so good these days.

I think Ady Pountains CD has been my fave so far but i still have a stack that i haven`t played yet.

Cheers, Chris.

got it chris, and your best yet IMHO, but its cracked i can only hear up to to track 13/14, if you have a spare, put one to one side for the next swap for me, if you would :unsure:

alan

Social source share

Guest Marcus B

I tend to agree with John on fav's and marking as so many different styles and choices and might put some peeps off.

I've bought a few on the back of the swaps and also loads on the wants list.!!!! Some I know I'll never get and some tracks I've re-discovered on b/sides and LP's .(Brothers By Choice & Rick James 2 of top of my head).

Thanks to all that participated. Bit of a mellow mood on when I compiled mine.

:rolleyes:

Marcus

btw Sent one to the States but not got one back yet from DJ Bywell .

Social source share

I received one from him yesterday. Bit of strange track listing though :rolleyes:

Problem is I didn't send him one. Didn't see him on the list.

Can someone send me his details please?

they wasn't on the original list, john sent it a day or so later on its own. :lol:

i've deleted mine, but someone may still have it

anybody had a Scandinavian one yet? :thumbsup:

alan

Social source share

they wasn't on the original list, john sent it a day or so later on its own. :lol:

i've deleted mine, but someone may still have it

anybody had a Scandinavian one yet? :thumbsup:

alan

Yep, sent it the next day, but saying that some people didn't some of my mails. Thats hotmail for you... :yes:

Send me a pm and I will send his address. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Unfortunately the odd CD and track list have got mixed up before I started writing names on them rolleyes.gif

Can someone please tell me who put the CD together that starts with "Sonny & Dianne - Love Trap" and finishes with "Alton Jackson & Larry Bailey - Believe In Me"?

Thanks

Paul

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I`d say it was too soon...traditionally we have done a swap in May and November, keping it to 2 a year has kept it fresh and given folks time to get new stuff in etc, then again if the majority want to do it who am i to say otherwise!?

I know DJ Bywell from LA, he is a top guy (and that is his real name, not just a record collecting sudenim!). Originally from Leeds but now living in California Dave is a top bloke, Must admit i did`nt send him a CD as i didn`t have him on my list but as soon as i get his i`ll drop him one in the post!

Cheers, Chris

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vinylvixen

Right then a few comments:

Best track (IMHO): Willie Tee - Take Your Time

Hadn't heard it before and it is just superb. Also got the Jo wallace seal of approval :ohmy:

Records bought after hearing them on the CDs:

The Gambrells - I'm In Love Again For The First Time - Cub

Sounds like an expensive record but isn't! One of those "if this was rare .... " tracks

Sunny Carrington - The Girl Every Guy Should Know - Deep

Never heard of this before but it leapt into my ears shouting "Buy Me! Buy Me!" Thought it was going to be expensive but got one for $22.99 including postage.

Robert Thomas - Salvation - Charay

On a couple of CDs and really good (and missed the Cresa Watson version on ebay the other day too - drat! But it did go for what looked like a silly amount for a VG record)

James Kelly Duhon - In School - Jude

Again, on a couple of CDs and really stood out

The True Tones - He's Got The Nerve - Josie

Sounds like a proper oldie (whatever that is) - a doubtful bit of guitar in the middle but a great dancer

Carolyn Cooke - I Don't Mind - RCA

After hearing this and going looking for it, I saw that it is getting plays around the place too. Just pipped by Willie Tee as best track I hadn't heard before.

Wants list:

Keeping this to myself until I find them :thumbsup:

Me and PTP got hours of listening pleasure from the CD swop....I got all the benefits without having to participate. I would but I can't afford the CDs at the moment - being on the rock and roll has it's downside :P But I got the True Tones and Gambrells and I'm a very happy bunny :lol:

Social source share

i've started thinking what to put on, and i think i may do a double this time (not saying others should)

a 60's/ northern one :thumbsup: , and a modern/ deep soul one :D

was never a collector of modern or deep soul, but since the CD swaps i've started to get into it more, and more. don't want to embarrass my self, so i'll try and put a bit of thought in to it, but i will be limited :D

so it depends on a theme.

maybe it should be credit crunchers,...... cheapies, album cuts and whatever' in the box.

alan

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

I received one from him yesterday. Bit of strange track listing though unsure.gif

Problem is I didn't send him one. Didn't see him on the list.

Can someone send me his details please?

yeh sorry about the strange track listing (hope you liked some of the choons) i was trying to explain why i was so late sending out the cd. I've had a number of problems to get passed. Sent 22 out so far, the other 8 are due to go out tomorrow I would love to hear your cd after reading all the great comments, If you have time to mail one off my address is;-

28092 Gunnison Court

Laguna Niguel

California

USA

cheers

DJ

Social source share

yeh sorry about the strange track listing (hope you liked some of the choons) i was trying to explain why i was so late sending out the cd. I've had a number of problems to get passed. Sent 22 out so far, the other 8 are due to go out tomorrow I would love to hear your cd after reading all the great comments, If you have time to mail one off my address is;-

28092 Gunnison Court

Laguna Niguel

California

USA

cheers

DJ

hi DJ

mine must be one of those eight unsure.gif , nice one

how many did you receive? unsure.gif

alan

Social source share

Unfortunately the odd CD and track list have got mixed up before I started writing names on them rolleyes.gif

Can someone please tell me who put the CD together that starts with "Sonny & Dianne - Love Trap" and finishes with "Alton Jackson & Larry Bailey - Believe In Me"?

Thanks

Paul

It was I Paul, Blake Helliwell.

BH

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

hi DJ

mine must be one of those eight :lol: , nice one

how many did you receive? unsure.gif

alan

To be honest Alan, not sure how many I've received 15? It is a little annoying, people don't always want to mail out to the U.S. but i'm "over it" Plus i think there were quite a that didn't get my address ( i was pretty late being added to the list).

Social source share

To be honest Alan, not sure how many I've received 15? It is a little annoying, people don't always want to mail out to the U.S. but i'm "over it" Plus i think there were quite a that didn't get my address ( i was pretty late being added to the list).

hopefully you got mine ok :lol:

if not, let me know

alan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert