coops

• Replies 166
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I see what you're saying...but like I said previously...why the need to call it anything at all...to me my catagorisation is more about the style of music...R&B, 60s sounds like 60s...70s the same...contemporary...and my version of modern(newer stuff) all have their own distinctive sounds...surely that's far less complicated?

So a venue playing mainly past modern anthems would advertise their night how?

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Aha! The old chestnut raises it's head once again!

My personal definition of a modern oldie is seventies and eighties stuff that was played between 1978/9 through till the late 80's.

:lol:

This post by Pete clears the whole thread up - 1978 to 1988 Modern Oldies Term time. True Fact.

Social source share

A Modern Night...plays what is defined as modern music...doesn't matter how old it is...like I said...should be based on the style of music...like when everyone clears the floor when 70s comes on in a nighter...you know what it is straight away(shite) :lol:

Same applies I suppose biggrin.gif

Social source share

80s is 80s...90s is 90s and anything post y2k is modern for me...just think its ridiculous all these catagories and i'm sorry but modern oldie has to take the biscuit for most ridiculous sub genre...might as well be kids banging on about speed garage!

Angie Stone is a modern oldie? I don't think so :rolleyes::lol:

And don't even get me started on why Nu Soul is wrong...it's like people saying something is Phat

Angie Stone - "I wish I didn't miss you" and the other one I really love! :rolleyes: have been out for several years and played to death in modern rooms (and northern rooms) it's a modern oldie. Where's Roger when you need him! LOL :D . He could explain this better.

You can't just call it all modern.

The following all come under the banner of "modern" but You could go to Village soul, Martin Dixon's night in Sheffield, Seductive Soul,

the modern room at Prestwich, Lin's SU night and visit two 'modern rooms' at KGH.

You could call them all modern nights but you would have very different experiences musically.

Jayne.

Social source share

A Modern Night...plays what is defined as modern music...doesn't matter how old it is...like I said...should be based on the style of music...like when everyone clears the floor when 70s comes on in a nighter...you know what it is straight away(shite) :rolleyes:

Same applies I suppose :D

:lol: Shouldnt encourage you but that did make me laugh! ....Who cares about labelling (anything) anyway, (imho) so long as we all know what turns us on/doesn't?!? :rolleyes:

(By the way Pete, is that park bench the ONLY furniture your dog is allowed on then? :D )

Edited by Delasoul
Social source share

:rolleyes: Shouldnt encourage you but that did make me laugh! ....Who cares about labelling (anything) anyway, (imho) so long as we all know what turns us on/doesn't?!? :rolleyes:

(By the way Pete, is that park bench the ONLY furniture your dog is allowed on then? :lol: )

I am ashamed to say that isn't the park it's my very poorly tended garden, and correct he can't sit on the couch :D

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

A Night Of All Things Soulful From the 70s to Today ?

Social source share

I am ashamed to say that isn't the park it's my very poorly tended garden, and correct he can't sit on the couch :rolleyes:

:lol: Mine neither....yea "the thread is dead....lets do (soul) dogs instead!" (poet,didnt know it!? :rolleyes: )

Social source share

There are two possible explanations:

1. It is simply a shorthand way of people who like their "modern" done traditional (anything that's not 60s, but no chart hits) to get together to share their perverse interest
  2. It is a trap laid by the soul police special branch divi detection unit to lure recent converts to all things rare &/or northern into displaying their ignorance of the playlists of various DJs at Wigan/Stafford/wherever "back in the day"
Social source share

i thought it might be a sound which contains a rhythmic back-beat which came to being in the late 60s with a complimentry bass riff which itself evolved into 'disco' during the 70s... but...

with this rhythmic back-beat and complimentary bass riff there has to be an ingredient of 'soul', i.e. vocal melody or harmonies etc. etc.

if that makes sense, a modern oldie may mean any sound containing the afore that has been played out on the scene whether from 70s, 80s, 90, or this century which may leave the field open from the carstairs to kenny thomas.

There are 2 possible answers to the above Mick.......

1: Have you been at the Sherry again?

2: Has this guy stolen your password?...

122.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Social source share

I see what you're saying...but like I said previously...why the need to call it anything at all...to me my catagorisation is more about the style of music...R&B, 60s sounds like 60s...70s the same...contemporary...and my version of modern(newer stuff) all have their own distinctive sounds...surely that's far less complicated?

i think the least complicated way to catagorize it is music from one generation back. its about music that the LATEST generation of artists are influenced by but consider a predecessor.

Social source share

There are 2 possible answers to the above Mick.......

1: Have you been at the Sherry again?

2: Has this guy stolen your password?...

122.jpg

:Dwink.gif

that'll be the sherry then!

i'd like to thank all contibuters to this threat, it was a question asked in ernest and answered in many, many ways BUT you have all helped to clear the mud. thank you.

Social source share

nothing to do with when the record was made more about how much exposure its had on the modern scene IMO.

so an 80s record could have been hammered and be widely known so thats a modern oldie and a 70s track can have been recentlky discovered a therefor a modern newie. Even though its the older of the 2 g.gif

thats how I see it anyway....

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

...should be based on the style of music...like when everyone clears the floor when 70s comes on in a nighter...you know what it is straight away(shite) whistling.gif

pmsl :D:huh::lol:

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

I reckon Beeks should maybe paws for thought occasionally :wicked:

this is all becoming a bit of a dogs dinner! wher is the soul police when you need them?

:lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert