Wtf Is A "modern Oldie?"

coops

at the St. Ives reunion this saturday the 'Theatre' room (where they used to play Oldies in the 70s) is going to have "Modern Oldies" played in there.

I have my theory as to what a "Modern Oldie" should or may be but have heard many different definitions over the last few months when discussing the term with others.

Can anyone please let me know his/her definition?

thanks in advance.

from a modernist old person with a hint of crossed-over signals from a much loved scene.

Edited by coops
Social source share

• Replies 166
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

at the St. Ives reunion this saturday the 'Theatre' room (where they used to play Oldies in the 70s) is going to have "Modern Oldies" played in there.

I have my theory as to what a "Modern Oldie" should or may be but have heard many different definitions over the last few months when discussing the term with others.

thanks in advance.

from a modernist old person with a hint of crossed-over signals from a much loved scene.

Aha! The old chestnut raises it's head once again!

My personal definition of a modern oldie is seventies and eighties stuff that was played between 1978/9 through till the late 80's. But there will be many, many other definitions - depend who you speak to. Yer pay yer money and yer take yer pick!

My mate Terry from Mablethorpe was chatting about you on the phone the other day!

:unsure:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

My personal definition of a modern oldie is seventies and eighties stuff that was played between 1978/9 through till the late 80's. But there will be many, many other definitions - depend who you speak to. Yer pay yer money and yer take yer pick!

My mate Terry from Mablethorpe was chatting about you on the phone the other day!

:huh:

during your chat with Terry did he happen to say what he thinks a 'modern oldie' should be? :unsure:

Social source share

It's a description for any record previously classed as a 'Modern' record, now too old to be truly 'Modern'.... hence 'Modern Oldie'.

Examples -

Philip Mitchell "I'm So Happy"

Bill Harris "Am I Cold Am I Hot"

King Tutt "You Got Me Hung Up"

Etc.

:huh:

Sean

Yep - that's what I meant to say!

:unsure:

Social source share

Guest Bernadette

:D

that's my understanding of it wink.gif i suspect this may be another long thread :lol:

Social source share

thanks in advance.

Always hear the term in relation to the type of "new" sounds that were played at Clifton Hall....

Those now deemed to be too "old" to be played in the current Modern Rooms but still too "modern" to be played in the everyday Northern Rooms....

Hence "Modern Oldies" :lol: ....

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I would have thought that a modern oldie refers to the songs themselves as opposed to a recording date ...in that on the northern scene an oldie could have been recorded after a newie .

I'd expect to hear modern classics ..jocelyn brown , drizabone etc ...no?

Social source share

It's a description for any record previously classed as a 'Modern' record, now too old to be truly 'Modern'.... hence 'Modern Oldie'.

Examples -

Etc.

:lol:

Sean

Iwas thinking more along the lines of Janice, Summer In The Parks, etc., etc., rather than those above Sean that do get played in Northern Rooms....

Social source share

Ok...this is getting fookin ridiculous...I'm only just getting my head around 70's tracks being called Modern...who comes up with these bloody titles anyway?

My catagories are

R&B

60s

70s

Contemporary

and my modern...which is records released now :lol:

PS I will never use the words Nu-Soul for anything...ever

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Iwas thinking more along the lines of Janice, Summer In The Parks, etc., etc., rather than those above Sean that do get played in Northern Rooms....

Hi Mark,

Sorry, I thought we were talking 'Modern Oldies'. Not necessarily 'Northern room' stuff.

But that aside, don't Phillip Mitchell, Bill Harris and King Tutt get played in Northern rooms?

I thought they were very much 'Northern / Modern Oldies'.

Sean

Social source share

These two get played in Northern Rooms too - both anthems.

Yeh, maybe those have had the odd play Peter but not regularly in Northern Rooms up and down the country....

Perhaps should have said Atlantic Starr, Curtis, Keni Burke, etc., instead :lol: ....

But I was more inferring an era of the "new" plays at that time that get "pigeon holed" as MO's these days biggrin.gif ....

Social source share

Hi Mark,

Sorry, I thought we were talking 'Modern Oldies'. Not necessarily 'Northern room' stuff.

But that aside, don't Phillip Mitchell, Bill Harris and King Tutt get played in Northern rooms?

I thought they were very much 'Northern / Modern Oldies'.

Sean

They do Sean.... those that have a more broad and open sprectrum re "Northern".... probably not so at your politely coined "Biffo" type night tho wicked.gif:thumbup: ....

Pigeon holes, eh :lol: ....

p.s. shame about Qube.... was looking forward to your set.... hoping it's sorted for our night or we'll be off also :wicked: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Ok...this is getting fookin ridiculous...I'm only just getting my head around 70's tracks being called Modern...who comes up with these bloody titles anyway?

My catagories are

R&B

60s

70s

Contemporary

and my modern...which is records released now biggrin.gif

But what about crossover? :lol:

We had a modern oldies thread the other month didn't we? Records like Stevens and Foster, The Pages and a lot of those records like Daybreak that are on the white Essential Modern Soul LP/CD.

I absolutely love Modern Oldies!!

Edited by Reg
Social source share

They do Sean.... those that have a more broad and open sprectrum re "Northern".... probably not so at your politely coined "Biffo" type night tho :thumbup::wicked: ....

Pigeon holes, eh :lol: ....

p.s. shame about Qube.... was looking forward to your set.... hoping it's sorted for our night or we'll be off also :D ....

Gotcha Mark thumbsup.gif

Yeh, the Qube night was gonna be my 'Modern Oldies Across The Board Crossover Two Step Funky House' special.

:)

Perhaps it's all for the good that it got cancelled! :sleep3:

Sean

Social source share

But what about crossover? :D

We had a modern oldies thread the other month didn't we? Records like Stevens and Foster, The Pages and a lot of those records like Daybreak that are on the white Essential Modern Soul LP/CD.

I absolutely love Modern Oldies!!

Yeah well that as well...but you get the idea...Modern Oldies indeed FFS...Me thinks someone out there is extracting the urine :lol:laugh.gif

Social source share

i thought it might be a sound which contains a rhythmic back-beat which came to being in the late 60s with a complimentry bass riff which itself evolved into 'disco' during the 70s... but...

with this rhythmic back-beat and complimentary bass riff there has to be an ingredient of 'soul', i.e. vocal melody or harmonies etc. etc.

if that makes sense, a modern oldie may mean any sound containing the afore that has been played out on the scene whether from 70s, 80s, 90, or this century which may leave the field open from the carstairs to kenny thomas.

or am i whizzing against the wind here?

Social source share

i thought it might be a sound which contains a rhythmic back-beat which came to being in the late 60s with a complimentry bass riff which itself evolved into 'disco' during the 70s... but...

with this rhythmic back-beat and complimentary bass riff there has to be an ingredient of 'soul', i.e. vocal melody or harmonies etc. etc.

if that makes sense, a modern oldie may mean any sound containing the afore that has been played out on the scene whether from 70s, 80s, 90, or this century which may leave the field open from the carstairs to kenny thomas.

or am i whizzing against the wind here?

We were trying to keep it fecking simple for old Beeks!

:lol:laugh.gif

Social source share

Examples -

Etc.

Seems to be a bit of a contradiction in terms, OLD-MODERN :D but these what sean has put i would put into that catagory, things like roy dawson etc, thats the way i understand it anyway thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

I would have thought that a modern oldie refers to the songs themselves as opposed to a recording date ...in that on the northern scene an oldie could have been recorded after a newie .

I'd expect to hear modern classics ..jocelyn brown , drizabone etc ...no?

I'm with you on this.. modern oldies, modern classics, old skool modern... all the same isn't it.

Lenny Williams, Angie Stone, Ivan Matthias,sunburst band I suppose, all my favourite stuff actually.

Modern oldies is fairly straight forward to me.

Think village soul, that has a good selection of modern oldies played. :lol:

Jayne.x

Social source share

My catagories are

R&B

60s

70s

Contemporary

and my modern...which is records released now :lol:

Why?. Nu-Soul / Nu release are widely used terms..

What do you catagorise your 80's / 90's & Y2K releases as then?

Jayne.x

Social source share

Why?. Nu-Soul / Nu release are widely used terms..

What do you catagorise your 80's / 90's & Y2K releases as then?

Jayne.x

80s is 80s...90s is 90s and anything post y2k is modern for me...just think its ridiculous all these catagories and i'm sorry but modern oldie has to take the biscuit for most ridiculous sub genre...might as well be kids banging on about speed garage!

Angie Stone is a modern oldie? I don't think so :lol:laugh.gif

And don't even get me started on why Nu Soul is wrong...it's like people saying something is Phat

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

I just though a modern oldie was an old cnut like me dressing in teenage clothes!!!! or have i misunderstood the question?

i do hope you're not referring to those baggy trousers and white socks of yours again mr. smudgesmith!

Edited by coops
Social source share

Surely modern oldies are what modern rooms USED to play, but rarely if ever play now? By modern room i mean a room that plays modern and not a room that plays anything other than 60's northern,

The CD 'on the modern side' is full of what I would class as modern oldies,

Beloyd

Sidney Joe

Jesse James

Mandrill

Innersection

But what do I know?

Social source share

Surely modern oldies are what modern rooms USED to play, but rarely if ever play now? By modern room i mean a room that plays modern and not a room that plays anything other than 60's northern,

Beloyd

Sidney Joe

Jesse James

Mandrill

Innersection

But what do I know?

I would class those as modern oldies Pete.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Beloyd

Sidney Joe

Jesse James

Mandrill

Innersection

But what do I know?

Yeah, I sort of go with that. They are all great oldies. God I hate these banners. ITS EITHER FECKIN SOUL OR IT ISN'T... END OF :lol:

Social source share

Beloyd

Sidney Joe

Jesse James

Mandrill

Innersection

But what do I know?

Here's a thought...why do you have to call it anything? If it's modern soul...just leave it at that...no need to start going...'yeah this is modern but slightly older...but newer than that older stuff'

It just confuses things IMO :lol:

Social source share

Here's a thought...why do you have to call it anything? If it's modern soul...just leave it at that...no need to start going...'yeah this is modern but slightly older...but newer than that older stuff'

It just confuses things IMO :lol:

If that's the case Beeks, why do we have Northern oldies? Or Northern oldies nights? As the modern scene has been going for decades surely a tune they were listening and dancing to 20 yrs ago but no longer do so can be classed as an oldie, hence a 'modern oldie'

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I just though a modern oldie was an old cnut like me dressing in teenage clothes!!!! or have i misunderstood the question?

NO NO Smudger.............bang on A+ answer biggrin.gif correct and I will second that, just look at the most recent photo's uploaded on here, for proof.

Now I fully understand the term used by Shaun Robbins on this Sunday Soul Selection Show "Beered Up Monster" or should that read "Geared Up Monsters" :lol: .

Social source share

If that's the case Beeks, why do we have Northern oldies? Or Northern oldies nights? As the modern scene has been going for decades surely a tune they were listening and dancing to 20 yrs ago but no longer do so can be classed as an oldie, hence a 'modern oldie'

I see what you're saying...but like I said previously...why the need to call it anything at all...to me my catagorisation is more about the style of music...R&B, 60s sounds like 60s...70s the same...contemporary...and my version of modern(newer stuff) all have their own distinctive sounds...surely that's far less complicated?

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert