Live Acts You Would Like To See At Weekenders

'67 I think. Sure it was Jerry Hipkiss who posted the flyer originally.

It may have been 1967 , and not 1968 , when I saw the

" Driftitations " at the Bin Lid , so it may have been them on the leaflet : I feel that I can be excused a lapse in recall as to the exact year ......

I have trouble these days recalling 40 + minutes , let alone 40 + years biggrin.gif ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• Replies 88
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Envious .......

I was in New York in the mid - nineties , and found that he was appearing at Carnegie Hall - two days after I had to come home .........

They used to state that " When You've Heard Lou , You've Heard It All " : I wish I had .......

Malc Burton

It was a choice of him or our very own Welshman Tom Jones which I saw a couple of years later.

Made the right choice thumbsup.gif

P :thumbup:

Social source share

Hi Cat,

I'm in agreement with you on this.

People who profess there love of the music, preach about respecting the artists, you must play OVO etc then turn round and say they don't like live acts.

Where does that mindset come from?

Just bizarre imo.

Anyway my choice would be Jerry Butler and / or the Dramatics.

Cheers

[quote

I m not particularly surprised about that, but it is sad isnt it? I dont think this scene is about the live artist as much as it is about the pretty labels on the record!(Has it ever been?) If it was a live act scene, everyone would of been at Stoke to see the Dells or at Northampton to hear the Impressions, and those guys at Crewe would have made a killing with Maxine Brown etc etc. I saw Sam Dees on all of his nights a few years ago, how many were at Yarmouth or Newbury that went just to see him?

I d love to see Gladys Knight singing anything ,but think I might need to go to the States to hear her.

Social source share

what about the volumes or the falcons ? are they still around in any form

The Falcons played at the Northampton weekender in 2006 and were brilliant! thumbsup.gif

If I could see any live act, it would be The Five Stairsteps, if I could turn the clocks back further than one hour that is. :thumbup:

Edited by Maark
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

He could sing "Half a man" then? :unsure:

That was uncalled for. But funny....

It's actually Tommy Tate who's in a wheelchair, and living in assisted accomodation. Howard Tate is, as far as I'm aware, still in full control of all his limbs.

Howard's also been over to Europe a couple of times in recent years, like several other people on this list such as Irma Thomas. I can only guess that those who would like to see them now, and who didn't see them before, must be very young...

Social source share

I'd love to see Chuck Jackson and it looks like I'm gonna have to shell out for the November Prestatyn again as he's on there next year..would have preferred to see him in March with Bobby Patterson and The Volumes but there you go!

Jerry Butler would be great but I don't think he likes flying does he? Chris (Bearsoul) and Carlos saw him last year in the States and said he was fab!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'd love to see Chuck Jackson and it looks like I'm gonna have to shell out for the November Prestatyn again as he's on there next year..would have preferred to see him in March with Bobby Patterson and The Volumes but there you go!

Jerry Butler would be great but I don't think he likes flying does he? Chris (Bearsoul) and Carlos saw him last year in the States and said he was fab!

Saw Jerry in Dallas about 10 years back. He was indeed fab. He started with "Moody Woman" and then ran through most of his big hits in chronological order. He had his sister Jessie singing the Betty Everett duets with him and another young lady, whose name I now don't recall, doing the Brenda Lee Eager stuff. Oh, and his band started the show with an instrumental of "I'll Be Around"!

Irma Thomas was on the same show, albeit playing the next day, as were Wilson Pickett, Dr. John, Little Richard and the 5 Blind Boys Of Alabama.

Hog Heaven!

TONE

PS - yes, he hates flying, even 'short hops' apparently...

Social source share

Saw Jerry in Dallas about 10 years back. He was indeed fab. He started with "Moody Woman" and then ran through most of his big hits in chronological order. He had his sister Jessie singing the Betty Everett duets with him and another young lady, whose name I now don't recall, doing the Brenda Lee Eager stuff. Oh, and his band started the show with an instrumental of "I'll Be Around"!

Irma Thomas was on the same show, albeit playing the next day, as were Wilson Pickett, Dr. John, Little Richard and the 5 Blind Boys Of Alabama.

Hog Heaven!

TONE

Wow!!! Tony you are just showing off now!!! :D

I thought of another by the way - Barbara Lewis :huh: Bet you've seen her too haven't you :unsure:

Social source share

Hog Heaven!

TONE

Jerry Butler is still 'The Iceman", and still opens with "Moody Woman".

Dave Fergie and I saw him in Tampa last year. The young lady who duets with him on the Brenda Lee Eager stuff was fantastic.

Here's a few pics of the man. On stage and backstage. He was a real gent. He is very interested in the Chicago political scene and is a City Councillor. The other black guy in the pics is none other than Mr Eugene Dickson. A great weekend.

post-1369-1225101727_thumb.jpg post-1369-1225101016_thumb.jpg

post-1369-1225101532_thumb.jpg post-1369-1225101584_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Wow!!! Tony you are just showing off now!!! :D

I thought of another by the way - Barbara Lewis :huh: Bet you've seen her too haven't you :unsure:

Actually, I've not seen Barbara, Reg - I was ill when she did Cleethorpes in the 90s and I would have flown over to see her in Belgium last year or the year before, had her show not clashed with "Rhythm Riot".

Apparently she's still worth catching, and I hope to do that before one of use dies....

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

a long list springs to mind but the 2 i would love to see most is

Isley Brothers do a full set of Motown classics and a line up the Drifters put together using some of the most famous members of the 60's and 70's ie Ben E King and so on.

We have Candi Staton coming here next year and i would love to go and see her in hope she will sing Now You Got The Upper Hand but that chance is so slim since at Glatsonbury she forgot it her first single refering to another instead.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

a long list springs to mind but the 2 i would love to see most is

Isley Brothers do a full set of Motown classics and a line up the Drifters put together using some of the most famous members of the 60's and 70's ie Ben E King and so on.

We have Candi Staton coming here next year and i would love to go and see her in hope she will sing Now You Got The Upper Hand but that chance is so slim since at Glatsonbury she forgot it her first single refering to another instead.

Unfortunately, Paul, the only really 'famous' lead singer of the Drifters who's still alive is Ben E King (not to be disparaging to people like Charlie Thomas, who did sing on a couple of hits or flipsides) so you're not likely to get that wish granted. Ben E King only sang lead on two or three hits, anyway, before he left the group for his solo career.

I can't imagine for one minute that Candi Staton has ever sung, or will ever sing, "Now You've Got The Upper Hand" live. She probably doesn't even regard it as an 'official' single, given that it was only put out to complete with her hits on Fame. In fact, she might not even remember that it was released at all.

Social source share

Unfortunately, Paul, the only really 'famous' lead singer of the Drifters who's still alive is Ben E King (not to be disparaging to people like Charlie Thomas, who did sing on a couple of hits or flipsides) so you're not likely to get that wish granted. Ben E King only sang lead on two or three hits, anyway, before he left the group for his solo career.

===

WAS lucky to get to see ben e king in the 80s when Chris king owned a nightclub in nuneaton..he had the drifters pop in while they were in tour..

got to ask ben about one of my fave recordings of his - wheres the girl and he remembered it well

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

===

WAS lucky to get to see ben e king in the 80s when Chris king owned a nightclub in nuneaton..he had the drifters pop in while they were in tour..

got to ask ben about one of my fave recordings of his - wheres the girl and he remembered it well

Saw that tour in Lewisham, it was their 30th anniversary tour as i remember and the only time that Ben E King and Johnny Moore were in the Drifters together, especially for that tour. Needless to say, they were terrific...

Social source share

Irma Thomas.

From R&B all the way through to 70s Soul.

I saw Irma at Colne municiple hall for the Burnley Blues festival in 94 along with Bobby Bland and Earl King (performing not actually accompanying me !. she was very good and still very fit looking although she did finnish her set with "your simply the best!" and didnt do "full time woman " which pissed me off.Bland was ill but still was awsome. Earl king bounced about in a blue suit playing blues guitar .

Adam

Social source share

Guest stash313

Personaly I'd love to see The O'Jays. If someone could tempt them over the water it would be awesome!!!! :thumbup:

They nearly were last year Kev...

Eddie Leverts son Gerald passed away in early 2007 and they wanted to tour in his name as a dedication tour. Which would mean that it wouldn't have made business sense for any weekender to put them on the line up as they could be seen elsewhere in the country later that month for a fraction of the price.

They still tour the States on a regular basis often appearing with The Temptations, The Whispers, The Four Tops etc so there could be a chance.

Incidentaly from a Temptations addict point of view I've just seen them again and as much as I enjoy todays line up I would love to see them in a soul environment rather than your pi**ed up arenas, theatres environment were people are more interested with spending all night at the bar rather than watching the show.

But more importantly I would love to see the group do their late 90's and 2000's out put tracks from Phoenix Rising, Earrisitable, Awesome, Back To Front, Reflections, Legacy etc. But its not really financially viable so unless I win the lottery my dreams will be just that.

Social source share

Have seen a good proportion of the singers on this list, all great, we're working on bringing several of them to our monthly night here (www.myspace.com/digdeepernyc), slightly easier for us being in New York obviously, funnily have the managers of the Brothers of Soul literally asking us to have them play there, ditto Eula Cooper just contacted us, nice problem to have! Anyone with contacts for these or other artists please drop a line, we're super motivated to keep putting them on stage and you're right, time really is running out to see a lot of them.

Back when I moved here in in the 80's picked up my very first copy of the Village Voice and saw Chuck Jackson was playing a black supper club uptown called Sweetwaters that night, got there and got to "interview" him (claimed was from Blues and Soul magazine to get backstage, blush) and in the second set he dedicated a song to his "new friend all the way from London, England" - if that was a true statement then could almost claim Chuck was my first friend here in the States!!

Remember seeing Lou Rawls play the Apollo on Valentine's Day with Marlena Shaw as the support act, one knockout night

Best act ever, no contest: James Carr, he was epic.

Social source share

Guest familytree

Alas most all the artists i would like to see before they die are dead :lol:

should have put this thread up many moons ago but then we were younger and thought we had all the time in the world....

Social source share

In no particular order:

Sandra Wright

The Main Ingredient

The Intruders

General Johnson (Chairmen Of The Board)

Randy Brown

JERRY BUTLER :thumbsup::):)

so many more, but these would be rather special

Social source share

I d love to see Gladys Knight singing anything ,but think I might need to go to the States to hear her.

Maybe not......Gladys is on the same bill as Dionne Warwick and Patti Labelle at Alexandra Palace London 31st July 2009.

BH

Thanks Blake, I didnt see that one.

x

Social source share

Think we should rejoice that in the last 30 years a lot of our heroes have graced these shores - The Motown heavyweights- Womack - James Brown - Isaac Hayes - Vandross - Dells - a lot of the Philly stars etc etc.

The chances of seeing these people again lessen as each year passes - I am just glad that I have had the opportunity to see some of them.

Social source share

Given that just about all of her records are 'Northern' to one extent or another (or at least uptempo 60s soul) I can't honestly understand why any promoter wouldn't want to bring her over, but when I put the feelers out on her behalf there wasn't a lot of interest, I'm afraid...

I m not particularly surprised about that, but it is sad isnt it? I dont think this scene is about the live artist as much as it is about the pretty labels on the record!(Has it ever been?) If it was a live act scene, everyone would of been at Stoke to see the Dells or at Northampton to hear the Impressions, and those guys at Crewe would have made a killing with Maxine Brown etc etc. I saw Sam Dees on all of his nights a few years ago, how many were at Yarmouth or Newbury that went just to see him?

Have to agree with you on that as i found to my own cost with Maxine Brown.

There are lots of people who spout off about respect to artists and we must support them, but when it comes down to buying a ticket, thats another thing.

I tried and failed this year at my own cost but have'nt given up yet, most people have no idea of the cost and effort that goes into putting a live artist on stage, i did'nt myself until this year and was shocked at the work everyone had to put in just for a 1 1/2 hour show.

I have noted some of the Artists down in this thread so keep them comming, you never know who i might get next year !!!!

Brav

Social source share

Guest east rob

'67 I think. Sure it was Jerry Hipkiss who posted the flyer originally.

how about the natural four? they were the bollox live apparentley, maybe by now it could possibly be the natural one :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Think The Volumes are on at Prestatyn next year, personally I'd love to see The Magnetics.

Sharon

rumour has it they are one and the same group...the detroit ones ohmy.gif .....or did you know that?

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I am gonnna add General Johnson cause i pretty much have always loved Chairman of the Board one of the first soul groups i got into

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert