Want To Hear Some Top Soul - Have A Listen To Mr Hampsey On Soul Discovery

Peter99

I got the heads up on a radio show last week - I'm sure some of you know about it already. It's Mick O'Donnell's show on 209Radio and guesting last weekend was me old mate Sean Hampsey.

I managed to listen to the show this afternoon - and wow! If you want to listen to some wonderful soul then follow the link below and click on mp3. Lots and lots of different stuff - from deep to modern, old and new - all of it top drawer.

First hour is Mick and then for the next couple of hours it's Sean playing some stunning records and chatting about his involvement in soul music.

It's the freshest thing I've listened to for ages - thanks Sean!

So - go and have a listen - let me - and Sean, know what you think. I can't recommend it highly enough.

https://www.209radio.co.uk/shows/profile.ph...w=souldiscovery

Peter

Bugger - the link doesn't seem to be working! Let me have a fiddle! :rolleyes:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Thanks fella. :ohmy:

That works!

I don't need to say anything else - just have a listen.

Peter

:D

I have burnt the show onto 3 CD's which are currently in my Car........Disc 2 has to be my personal favourite out of the 3 though....... if not for any other reason, because of the AWESOME Sam Dees acetate "Funny". I absolutely adore it!!!!! :yes:

BLOKES ADORING RECORDS................. Wot's that all about then? :shhh:

Really Looking forward to the new gig in January, how on earth are you gonna top the show......... the new gig that's how...... Why I hear you all ask..........

Cause with Sean & Tats............ Two For The Price of one..... they have exactly the same ear :shades:

It's A Good One Though :no:

(I have just opened up a can of worms for Tats to come on here slating my Big Ears though :wicked: )

Best

Bully :(

Social source share

I'm half way through it, can't sit down for long enough. Must download it!!!! Fantastic stuff though, Sean has great taste in music :thumbsup:

Cannot Agree With You More on that point Chalks :shades:

But anyone who listens to the show, will No Doubt have already picked that point up mate :huh:

Be Great To Have A Local Do...........Playing Music that just OOOOZZZES Soul again :D

Best

The Bulmeister!

Edited by Bully Boy
Social source share

can the show be downloaded? rather than just a stream, maybe then I won't have to keep listening tho the bits I've already heard :thumbsup:

I think it's available as a podcast Chalks - it's on Micks site I think as opposed to the radio site. I'll see if I can find the link for you.

Social source share

wow that Ryan Shaw track has blown me away!!!

BAZ A :D

Yep wicked tune Baz.

Here's the playlist.

Soul Children "Midnight Sunshine" (Epic)

Chuck Armstrong "How sweet it is" (Sound Stage 7)

Creative Source "You're too good to be true" (Sussex)

Rosey Grier "How I miss you baby" (United Artists)

Little Buster "What can I do" (Bullseye)

Ann Peebles "Give me some credit" (Hi-Memphis)

Bobby McClure "To get what you got" (Hi-Memphis)

McKinley Mitchell "This place ain't getting no better" (Sandman)

Little Milton "Man loves two" (Checker)

Peggy Scott/Jo Jo Benson "I can say no" (Atco)

Aaron Neville "Been so wrong" (Island)

Samuel E. Wright "There's something funny going on" (Paramount)

Buddy Causey "There's a way" (Capitol)

Darrow Fletcher "It's no mistake" (Crossover)

Friday, Saturday, Sunday "There must be something" (Dig)

Clarence Reid "You knock me out" (Alston)

Sam Dees "Funny" (Chess) Unreleased Acetate Only

2001 Black Essence "Change in my life" (JWJ)

Doris Duke "The feeling is right" (Canyon)

Ryan Shaw "I am your man" (Sony)

Noel Gourdin "The river" (Sony)

K.Lipsey "Mississippi po'boy"

Steve Cropper "It's impossible" (Stax)

Carl Thomas "Same thing" (Stax)

Monique Ford "No getting over me" (Hep'me)

Lyfe Jenkins "Smile"

Bobby Womack "Runaway" (Motown) Unreleased Acetate Only

Tyrone Davis "You keep me holding on" (Dakar)

William Bell "Somebody's gonna get hurt" (Stax)

Gregg Jackson "One for the road" (KYP)

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Ive been clicking on the replay all week and had the show playing while ive been at work....

Totally blown away....1st time ive listened to the show ...superb.what an education ive had this week,

If anyones interested Sean is our Guest at our Friendship Soul night's on saturday the 29th of November at the Kingstone Club Barnsley

Geeooooordie

Social source share

total recorder is one piece of software that can record streaming music. Works well.

presume it records in real time as the show is playing, I can do all that with soundforge...I just want to download the whole show and listen at my leisure rather than keep having to restart the stream.

Social source share

presume it records in real time as the show is playing, I can do all that with soundforge...I just want to download the whole show and listen at my leisure rather than keep having to restart the stream.

yes it records in real time and then you save file as a wav to burn.

so you have to have a spare 2 or 3 hours to grab it.

Social source share

yes it records in real time and then you save file as a wav to burn.

so you have to have a spare 2 or 3 hours to grab it.

Ta but if I'd got a spare 2 or 3 hours I'd sit and listen :thumbsup: I've got sony soundforge that does everything that easy recorder does, and more. I'll look for the podcast.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I listened to the whole show earlier today, outstanding, simply outstanding, if I am allowed to listen to just one more record before I die, then I'll choose the incredible Brenton Wood " I Want Love" the most beautiful and emotion drenched delivered song I think I've ever heard. As a kid I used to listen to Sean Hampsey at Rotherham's Clifton Hall around 1981/82, you have to learn from people like this, only a fool would ignore these incredible collections. Why oh why aren't there more nights that champion the down -tempo tracks that this fantastic music has in it's thousands, I am totally bored and have been for many years with the constant up-tempo that the majority of venues push. Time and time again when I've dee-jayed I have been accosted to play something that "I Can dance too".........Jesus....All that means to me is that these people don't know how to dance to the slower tunes. Sean you say you are starting a new night, then for God sake play this type of music, it demands to be heard beyond the confines of our houses.

Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

I listened to the whole show earlier today, outstanding, simply outstanding, if I am allowed to listen to just one more record before I die, then I'll choose the incredible Brenton Wood " I Want Love" the most beautiful and emotion dren

ched delivered song I think I've ever heard. As a kid I used to listen to Sean Hampsey at Rotherham's Clifton Hall around 1981/82, you have to learn from people like this, only a fool would ignore these incredible collections. Why oh why aren't there more nights that champion the down -tempo tracks that this fantastic music has in it's thousands, I am totally bored and have been for many years with the constant up-tempo that the majority of venues push. Time and time again when I've dee-jayed I have been accosted to play something that "I Can dance too".........Jesus....All that means to me is that these people don't know how to dance to the slower tunes. Sean you say you are starting a new night, then for God sake play this type of music, it demands to be heard beyond the confines of our houses.

Brett

You liked it then Brett! :lol:

I first heard Sean play at Clifton Hall way back then - I think that's where I first heard him anyway!

Social source share

Very much appreciate the kind words and comments on here. Thanks Peter for kicking it off. :lol:

Good to know that those who truly love Real Soul Music are not alone!

Baz is right, the Ryan Shaw track is immense.

Infact the whole album is pretty wicked!

Treat yourself to a copy here:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Ryan-Shaw-Us/...7662&sr=8-1

Shameless plugs - Yes, I'm looking forward to guesting at Geordie's Friendship do in Barnsley 29th November and at Modernism at Sheffield Qube, this coming Friday, Oct 31st for more of the same... where I will be autographing photographs... of Mick O'Donnell :) .

Brett, you're no fool. Never have been mate. Soon as we've got the date confirmed for the new venue, you'll be one of the first to know... and I'm sure you'll be one of the first there for the early hour soul drenched down-tempo and deepies session... which, with what we have in store, will probably last all night!

There's a definate undercurrent of folk on SS who we're aiming to cater for. The silent minority, who appreciate all shades of Real Soul music, no barriers, no hangups - Just Soul.

All will be welcome to the launch party... sometime in Jan 09 - yet TBA - but be assured, I'll be in touch.

For those who enjoy hearing new Soul Music, I can thoroughly recommend Micks show regardless of who's on as guest. The guy has a real passion for the music and works his butt off to champion independent Soul in the UK - and beyond!

Make sure you're a regular visitor here!

Also, if you missed it, do yourself a big favour and download Brett's Sunday Soul Selection, from last week's Shaun Robbins show here -

https://SRSSS19Oct08fullshow.notlong.com Total quality throughout from Brett Franklin, as you might expect! :D

Thanks again for the kind words.

If you enjoyed the show half as much as I did, you had a ball!

Sean

Social source share

Very much appreciate the kind words and comments on here. Thanks Peter for kicking it off. :)

Shameless plugs - Yes, I'm looking forward to guesting at Geordie's Friendship do in Barnsley 29th November and at Modernism at Sheffield Qube, this coming Friday, Oct 31st for more of the same... where I will be autographing photographs... of Mick O'Donnell :D .

Brett, you're no fool. Never have been mate. Soon as we've got the date confirmed for the new venue, you'll be one of the first to know... and I'm sure you'll be one of the first there for the early hour soul drenched down-tempo and deepies session... which, with what we have in store, will probably last all night!

There's a definate undercurrent of folk on SS who we're aiming to cater for. The silent minority, who appreciate all shades of Real Soul music, no barriers, no hangups - Just Soul.

All will be welcome to the launch party... sometime in Jan 09 - yet TBA - but be assured, I'll be in touch.

For those who enjoy hearing new Soul Music, I can thoroughly recommend Micks show regardless of who's on as guest. The guy has a real passion for the music and works his butt off to champion independent Soul in the UK - and beyond!

Also, if you missed it, do yourself a big favour and download Brett's Sunday Soul Selection, from last week's Shaun Robbins show here -

https://SRSSS19Oct08fullshow.notlong.com Total quality throughout from Brett Franklin, as you might expect! thumbsup.gif

Sean

For Those of you who think that Sean is the Messiah!

His Mother has told me in her very best Terry Jones voice :thumbup: looking a little like this, (that is python's Terry Jones and not TJ the DJ)

" He's Not The Messiah, He is a Very Naughty Boy going off to Cambridge to seek his fortune, and not telling me before he did"

:sleep3::shhh::lol::lol:

Best

Bully :g:

Social source share

" He's Not The Messiah, He is a Very Naughty Boy going off to Cambridge to seek his fortune, and not telling me before he did"

Sccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhh! shhh.gif I told her it was London!

Anywhere south of Nottingham is 'London' to the old dear.

And she's told all the family back home, I was 'on the wireless' with Daniel O'Donnell

:thumbup:

See you Friday?

post-4120-1225033098_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Very much appreciate the kind words and comments on here. Thanks Peter for kicking it off. :huh:

Shameless plugs - Yes, I'm looking forward to guesting at Geordie's Friendship do in Barnsley 29th November and at Modernism at Sheffield Qube, this coming Friday, Oct 31st for more of the same... where I will be autographing photographs... of Mick O'Donnell :P .

https://SRSSS19Oct08fullshow.notlong.com Total quality throughout from Brett Franklin, as you might expect! :wicked:

:)

Sean

Awesome playlist Sean, Have we got any dates yet?, can't wait to hear the Womack unreleased cuts :lol: . have you informed the funk sisters :lol: .................

Tats

Social source share

Awesome playlist Sean, Have we got any dates yet?, can't wait to hear the Womack unreleased cuts :huh: . have you informed the funk sisters :P .................

Tats

He reckons Not............but I bet you will be doing :lol: .

....... What's That about Eye Candy Mr Taylor :lol::wicked:

The Bulmeister!

Social source share

I got the heads up on a radio show last week - I'm sure some of you know about it already. It's Mick O'Donnell's show on 209Radio and guesting last weekend was me old mate Sean Hampsey.

I managed to listen to the show this afternoon - and wow! If you want to listen to some wonderful soul then follow the link below and click on mp3. Lots and lots of different stuff - from deep to modern, old and new - all of it top drawer.

First hour is Mick and then for the next couple of hours it's Sean playing some stunning records and chatting about his involvement in soul music.

It's the freshest thing I've listened to for ages - thanks Sean!

So - go and have a listen - let me - and Sean, know what you think. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Peter

Bugger - the link doesn't seem to be working! Let me have a fiddle! :(

Peter...Thank you

Details below for shows

Soul Discovery

Cambridge 105FM

www.209radio.co.uk

souldiscovery@209radio.co.uk

Sunday 12.00-15.00

www.solarradio.com

Sky Digital Channel 0129

souldiscovery@solarradio.com

Tuesday 02.00 - 04.00

Archived show is currently available 19.10.08

itune Podcast 19.10.08

https://podcast.209radio.co.uk

For all playlists go to.......

209radio

https://209radio.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=10.0

Solar Radio

https://www.solarradio.com/playlists.php?plist_id=94

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Yep wicked tune Baz.

Here's the playlist.

Lyfe Jenkins "Smile"

:lol:

Just caught up with this show, heard it on podcast. Stunning stuff mate, will try and make it up to your do in January especially as it's mine and Bullys birthday at the end of the month.

All the best

Binsy

Social source share

ALL The Play-List 19.10.08

The Four Tops “Baby I need your loving” (Motown)

The Four Tops “Where did you go” (Tamla)

The Four Tops “Clip my wings” (Motown)

Reggie Boone “Liv’in life ain’t easy” (Contact Perk)

Extra Rich in Class “Gimme a chance” (Ericeh)

T.P.O.B “Forever” (Promo)

The Chestnut Brothers “Mountain love” (Promo)

Ladeana Michelle “From dollars to dimes” (DM)

Robert Owens “”Show me your face” (Heavenly Creative)

Reggie Boone “Love one other” (Contact Perk)

T.P.O.B “Rub you down” (Promo)

David Brinston “Sometime you win some” (Ecko)

Roy Hightower “Don’t feel sorry for yourself” (CDS Promo)

Play-List from my Special Guest Sean Hampsey

Lyfe Jenkins "Smile"

Edited by Soul Discovery
Social source share

ALL The Play-List 19.10.08

The Four Tops "Baby I need your loving" (Motown)

The Four Tops "Where did you go" (Tamla)

The Four Tops "Clip my wings" (Motown)

Reggie Boone "Liv'in life ain't easy" (Contact Perk)

Extra Rich in Class "Gimme a chance" (Ericeh)

T.P.O.B "Forever" (Promo)

The Chestnut Brothers "Mountain love" (Promo)

Ladeana Michelle "From dollars to dimes" (DM)

Robert Owens ""Show me your face" (Heavenly Creative)

Reggie Boone "Love one other" (Contact Perk)

T.P.O.B "Rub you down" (Promo)

David Brinston "Sometime you win some" (Ecko)

Roy Hightower "Don't feel sorry for yourself" (CDS Promo)

Play-List from my Special Guest Sean Hampsey

Lyfe Jenkins "Smile"

Thanks Mick

We've now got it all documented!

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

306439.gif

Cambridge 105FM

www.209radio.co.uk

souldiscovery@209radio.co.uk

Sunday 12.00-15.00

www.solarradio.com

Sky Digital Channel 0129

souldiscovery@solarradio.com

Tuesday 02.00 - 04.00

Top New tracks from.....

Reggie Boone,

T.P.O.B,

The Chestnut Brothers,

Doktu Rhute Muuzik (AKA Roy Hytower),

Little Anthony& the Imperials,

Willie Collins,

Coretta Davis,

Kindred,

Kashious,

Charles Bradley,

Greg Rose,

Ladeana Michelle,

David Brinston

+ forgotten Gems.... and all the news from around the soul world

With me...Mick O'Donnell..

Sunday 12.00-3.00pm 2nd November..

www.209radio.co.uk

(Up and running at last 209radio Forum)

For all playlists go to....... 209radio Forum (Soul Discovery)

www.209radio.co.uk

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert