Quickest Turnaround / Biggest Profit

The Tempest

In these credit crunching / recession times looming , whats the quickest turnaround and biggest profit someones made on a record ?

My example , two weeks ago , the missus dragged me out around the shops in a small market town near where I live, she was looking around a clothes shop and I was waiting outside with the little un when I noticed a box of lp's outside the local charity shop , the temptation was too much and after 5 mins of going through every hymm and classical album there was , found Frank Dell ,Yesterdays People album , in ex con ,which I already had , it was then bought for £1.90 and later sold this week for £60.00 .

Not a bad find , but I bet mine's miniscule compared to some , so lets hear them ,

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Most relevant one that springs to mind is Mixed Emotions 'Gold of my life' - bought from a record shop's pound box last December , sold it B.I.N. on ebay for £400 on Boxing Day.

Social source share

Think Ive told this one before

Box ina brick a brac shop saying 25p each or £4 the box- saw the first record and picked up the box and gave the £4

Outside in the car feeling very pleased with myself as the first record in the box was the 1st issue demo of bread & beer band - dick barton theme on Decca - I promptly soldto a collector in Birmingham with 48 hours for £75.00

However looking at the rest in the car my eyes lit up - only 1 Northern soul record - Pet Clark Sign of the times Pye demo.However there were about another 60-70 demos which included The Beatles- I feel fine / & She love you -Wow sold the pair for £180 (This was 1996 0r 97) and absolutely lots of Hollies demo/ Pet clark demos/ Tom Jones demos and Searchers demos The Move demos /Pink Floyd Columbia demos) etc

Last in the Box was the Eden St Skiffle band 10 flexi discs from 1958 I think with the cardboard pic sleeve to put them into when playing(I sold that to a dealer for £60)

In total I think I got not far short of £600.

Now that was a result.

Social source share

Had a few UK thing in the 80s that I picked up at various places for peanuts and then shifted in three auctions about '90. Also had some great results Stateside in some weirdest of places including a pet shop where I found a 50 count box of Patti Austin "Pain Stain" demos for $5.00. The box, not each! But....here's the flip side...

About 1998 I was en route to Sheridans where I was to pay for a long time want. I stopped off at Gingers do in Burnley to have a beer with a few old Mates and knock a few 45s out to 'em. As I walked in I was met by a dealer/collector who asked "You DJing Dave", my answer "No it's a sales box", led to him opening the box and taking about 600UKP worth of 45s out and asking "How much for these Mate?". "Are they for you?" I asked. "Yep sure are" came back the reply. "Give us 300 then as we're Mates". So, the deal was done with an "OK, I'll send the dosh in the post if I can't borrow it tonight OK?"

Fast forward a couple of hours...Mate comes up with the 300 quid. "there you go Pal, sorted". Now you'd think it was smiles all round eh? Unfortunately not.

Few minutes later up strolls another Mate. "Dave..Can I leave these in yer box for safe keeping Mate?" "Yep", says I "What you got?"

Yep, you guessed it! He'd bought some of the 45s that I'd just sold earlier to the other 'mate' for half price, at the prices I had originally priced them at!

I felt extremely pissed off. It was then pointed out to me by someone else that they weren't mine anymore and that what the other guy got for them was his business. I decided there and then that the people I would do favours for as far as records were concerned, would shrink considerably!

Social source share

Biggest 3 for me:

New World - We're gonna make it found in Camden town for 20£, sold on here for something more :lol:

8 unplayed copies of Joe & Ann "Runnin' and foolin'" on the bay for 15$ each :lol::D

Gloria Grey - It's a sweet world on the bay, mint-, 5$ buy it now :yes: :yes: :yes:

Social source share

In 1980 when I was about 14 I was looking through a big box of records at the local village fete all for 25p.

I only had a pound with me but I bought Hurdy Gurdy Man by The Spectres (Status Quo) which I sold about 6 months later for £90 to a guy in California through Record Collector, a Chess white label demo of Dear Dad by Chuck Berry, and two Pye white label demos - Somebody Beat Me by Bo Diddley and See You at the GoGo by Dobie Gray all in mint condition which have sold recently on Ebay each for between £30 and £40. Not a bad profit :rolleyes: .

I think the guy who was selling them must have been on some kind of Pye mailing list in the sixties as most of the records looked like they'd never been played. I went home to see if my Mum would give me a tenner to go and buy the box but by the time I got back the guy had gone :thumbup: .

Edited by Bicks
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert