What Was That Original Of Ton Of Dynamite Called Please?

Pete S

• Replies 28
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

No not the same and pretty sure W&MMs was first, but would need to double check to be sure

...yes, W&MM's was about a year earlier give or take a month or two, and it's considerably faster. And not as good, but I guess that goes without saying really...

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I always believed the ORIGINAL version to be that of wink.gif Archie Bell & The Drells 'Tighten Up' !! unsure.gif With the others just being takes of that ?? Or am I just plain stupid ?? huh.gif (Answers NOT required.. :D )

Fingers.. :shades:

I was just about to say something similar! - "Tighten Up" (Part 3) :D Sax on "Ton Of Dynamite" is Lonnie Youngblood.

post-4950-1224793788_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I always believed the ORIGINAL version to be that of :D Archie Bell & The Drells 'Tighten Up' !! unsure.gif With the others just being takes of that ?? Or am I just plain stupid ?? :D (Answers NOT required.. laugh.gif )

Fingers.. :shades:

No "The Corners" was a dance craze Oh Fickled one, it was done to tighten up probably, but then we had the 4 corners, 8 corners, 16 corners etc. I have seen it performed ohmy.gif . The dancers kind of move into the centre and then jiggle about and then go back to their corners. The funk boys on here will know more.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

yeh just checked it out all platinum pl2309 funky(8) corners part 1&2 willie and the mighty magnificents...

kev

Soul Bowl used to sell "Funky 8 Corners" on their lists as an alternative to the then unobtainable "Ton Of Dynamite" I recall.

Social source share

Theory; 'Tighen up' comes first, to this they create a dance called the 'funky corners'. Then following the dance craze a bunch of 'corners' tunes appear including the 'Funky 8 corners' which was a fairly common accurance. As a homage to the original tune, they lift part of the rhythm, again common. A well know DJ (Frankie Crocker-New York) sees the craze and along with the record company decide to cash in on the it and you get 'Ton of dynamite'. Again not uncommon to use dj's name on records to help sell them, ie E. Rodney Jones (Chicago)-R&B time.

As an aside, it is also very possible that all or some of Willie & The Mighty Magnificients play on 'Ton of dynamite', as they are the main house/studio band at All Platinum at the time.

Social source share

Theory; 'Tighen up' comes first, to this they create a dance called the 'funky corners'. Then following the dance craze a bunch of 'corners' tunes appear including the 'Funky 8 corners' which was a fairly common accurance. As a homage to the original tune, they lift part of the rhythm, again common. A well know DJ (Frankie Crocker-New York) sees the craze and along with the record company decide to cash in on the it and you get 'Ton of dynamite'. Again not uncommon to use dj's name on records to help sell them, ie E. Rodney Jones (Chicago)-R&B time.

As an aside, it is also very possible that all or some of Willie & The Mighty Magnificients play on 'Ton of dynamite', as they are the main house/studio band at All Platinum at the time.

I think all of this makes sense Dave, though TOD was the "throwaway" B side from memory wasn't it? Wasn't "Confession of love" the A side? Sorry don't have the record in front of me at the moment :thumbsup:

Oh and Richard Marks did one of the best "Corners" records. Also there was "Cutting the corners" etc.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

In all of this talk of Willie & The Mighty Magnificents, Lonnie Youngblood etc. we mustn't lose sight of the fact that Ton Of Dynamite itself is probably the greatest record known to humanity.

Oscar Perry did 4 corners get down but that would have been considerably later methinks

John

Social source share

Guest mel brat

All of this was covered in an article on "Ton Of Dynamite", published in Black Music Magazine in 1975... including the fact that Lonnie Youngblood was playing sax on the record if I recall correctly.

Social source share

Not in my record box anymore unfortunately.Had it on an All Platinum 45 black label vinyl copy

Maybe some kind soul sourcerer can post up a sound clip ?

Just cos you ain't heard it don't mean it don't exist

Cheers Paul

wasnt implying that :wicked: just fired of a quick reply before i went out, just i have never heard it or heard of it. and wanted someone to post a sound file so i could hear the difference.

sorry if post came across wrong.

mark

Social source share

I've always maintained that the Willie and the Mighty Magnificents and Frankie Crocker 45's use the exact same basic instrumental backing track , but that Sylvia and Joe Robinson used creative licence in the studio by fiddling around with the one take of the track ... for example putting party noises on Frankie Crocker's record , not to mention speeding up the tape , and the sax too ... whereas on Willie and the Magnificents' record the speed is slower , the tambourines are brought up and Willie and the boys rap over the top of it all ... but I am convinced they have the exact same track !!! Anyone who knows the story of the Robinson's eccentric and rudimentary set up at All Platinum/Stang/Turbo would concede that this is entirely plausible.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert