Snapped Records

I don't whether it is me being clumsy, or if 40 year old vinyl becomes more brittle with time - put this year I have managed to but a crack right through 3 of my treasured 7 inches (snapped across from the centre, to one edge - not completely snapped in half).

This has been quite innocent stuff like sliding it back into the card sleeve, or today - rubbing the label gently to remove a spot of dirt.

Ironically the first track which suffered this fate was 'Fragile, handle with care' by Sam Dees on an Atlantic demo (you couldn't make this stuff up!!).

While appreciating that the answer is BE CAREFUL YOU NUMPTY - has anyone had success with 'fixing' cracked vinyl.

So far I have found some strategically placed clear tape on either the label or non playing side just about does it well enough for DJing on a club system - but there's still a feint click on my home stereo.

Any tips? Other than to transfer them onto laptop and never play the real thing again, or buy CDs...

Edited by PeteRobinson
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I don't whether it is me being clumsy, or if 40 year old vinyl becomes more brittle with time - but this year I have managed to but a crack right through 3 of my treasured 7 inches (snapped across from the centre, to one edge - not completely snapped in half).

This has been quite innocent stuff like sliding it back into the card sleeve, or today - rubbing the label gently to remove a spot of dirt.

Ironically the first track which suffered this fate was 'Fragile, handle with care' by Sam Dees on an Atlantic demo (you couldn't make this stuff up!!).

While appreciating that the answer is BE CAREFUL YOU NUMPTY - has anyone had success with 'fixing' cracked vinyl.

So far I have found some strategically placed clear tape on either the label or non playing side just about does it well enough for DJing on a club system - but there's still a feint click on my home stereo.

Any tips? Other than to transfer them onto laptop and never play the real thing again, or buy CDs...

I used to glue a razor blade to the b side. Be careful what glue you use as some can disolve styrene, assuming that it is styrene.

Social source share

Coaster material unless you can run some glue on the outer edge, had a Sherlock Holmes but it kept parting so it wasn't at a standstill cool.gif

Hmmm... might try the glue to the edge, although tape trick is working OK so far.

What's the most expensive record anyone has snapped/trashed? I'll start the bidding in the £150-£200 range at today's prices!

Social source share

Hmmm... might try the glue to the edge, although tape trick is working OK so far.

What's the most expensive record anyone has snapped/trashed? I'll start the bidding in the £150-£200 range at today's prices!

Yep Pete i have successfully used the glue to the edge trick, seems to work well. Now not trying to be cocky ( a pun ) but a crack in 3 of your treasured 7 inches ?? C'mon.lol.

Stay soulful mate. Tony E. OZ.

Social source share

I don't whether it is me being clumsy, or if 40 year old vinyl becomes more brittle with time - put this year I have managed to but a crack right through 3 of my treasured 7 inches (snapped across from the centre, to one edge - not completely snapped in half).

hope one was that pop thing you've been playing on RCA :lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

Duck Tape seems to work well :thumbsup: ............ well its been a success for us.......

ATB

Tracey

Social source share

Kenny Wells - Isn't It Just A Shame (another ironic title!). This was due to be the last tune on a tape I was making so it was the only record left propped up in the box. It was all too easy: box gets nudged, hinged lid falls forward, cracks record. And no one but myself to blame, either. :lol: It was a proper bad boy of a crack, ran right under the label, tried using heavy duty tape on the flip side vinyl but it just wouldn't play. I ended up glueing some useless 45 I had bought blind to the flip, it salvaged the record in so far as it can be played, but with a click. And now virtually worthless!

Bought a Paul Sindab - I Was A Fool (more irony) on Powertree whilst at a niter. Firing on a cylinders - so to speak - and too 'distracted' to think of checking the condition, I nearly bit the seller's hand off when he quoted the bargain price. Half inch crack revealed itself when I got home. :thumbsup: This one did tape ok, and plays with a slight click.

Bought a slightly cracked Enticers - Since You Left from Soul Bowl for £8 in the early 80's. Couldn't bring myself to attempt a repair job on such an object of desire and if memory serves me correctly, the flip was ok, but because the crack is 'untreated' I daren't play it. Special occasions only.

Social source share

One good way of repairing cracks is to go over the B-side crack with the flame of a cigarette lighter for a couple of seconds. That seals the crack, but just be careful not to do it for longer than a second or two, because it starts to warp the vinyl and burn through to the other side.

This method will make the B-side useless, so it's only a good idea if just one side is worth playing.

Social source share

Kenny Wells - Isn't It Just A Shame (another ironic title!). This was due to be the last tune on a tape I was making so it was the only record left propped up in the box. It was all too easy: box gets nudged, hinged lid falls forward, cracks record. And no one but myself to blame, either. :lol: It was a proper bad boy of a crack, ran right under the label, tried using heavy duty tape on the flip side vinyl but it just wouldn't play. I ended up glueing some useless 45 I had bought blind to the flip, it salvaged the record in so far as it can be played, but with a click. And now virtually worthless!

Bought a Paul Sindab - I Was A Fool (more irony) on Powertree whilst at a niter. Firing on a cylinders - so to speak - and too 'distracted' to think of checking the condition, I nearly bit the seller's hand off when he quoted the bargain price. Half inch crack revealed itself when I got home. :thumbsup: This one did tape ok, and plays with a slight click.

Bought a slightly cracked Enticers - Since You Left from Soul Bowl for £8 in the early 80's. Couldn't bring myself to attempt a repair job on such an object of desire and if memory serves me correctly, the flip was ok, but because the crack is 'untreated' I daren't play it. Special occasions only.

Didn't you also have a Magnetics cracked that you sold on to (or bought from?) Duncan Pollett? A theme developing here??

Can you text me your mobile no. and Steve's no as I got new phone recently and lost all my nos. Really appreciated your text re show, and as said last time I saw you it would be good to catch up some time, in this country and not at a funeral!

Good to see you typing on here, just need to be careful now when I reinvent my part in the 80's or I insult those Fifers, who keeping it on topic were all a bit cracked back in the day!!

Social source share

Didn't you also have a Magnetics cracked that you sold on to (or bought from?) Duncan Pollett? A theme developing here??

Can you text me your mobile no. and Steve's no as I got new phone recently and lost all my nos. Really appreciated your text re show, and as said last time I saw you it would be good to catch up some time, in this country and not at a funeral!

Good to see you typing on here, just need to be careful now when I reinvent my part in the 80's or I insult those Fifers, who keeping it on topic were all a bit cracked back in the day!!

Howdy Jock, good to hear from you. Sick at missing the show, Graham - of all people - and Mick raved about it. Aye, we really do need to have a proper catch up outside of birthdays and funerals! Will pm you our numbers.

When I was writing that post The Magnetics came to mind: was it cracked? I think I'm sure in saying it was ok when I got it from the US and later when I sold it to Duncan. £400 was good money those days, so it must have been ok, presumably. A few years later I found myself back at Duncan's after a club in Glasgow and there it was, sitting on top of his Northen box, no sleeve, looking forlorn and abandoned! :lol: Can't remember what nick it was in though I do remember fleetingly considering making a citizen's arrest and taking it into protective custody!

It's good to be here, at last. I'm sure we all suffer from lapses of memory and rose tinted embellishments!

Social source share

You could try attaching it to another single that you don't like, at least it will support it when being played.

P :lol:

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

On a record trip to the States with Carl Fortnum we were lucky enough to find 2 copies of Ray Pollard on Shrine.On returning back to the UK these were advertised on The "Out of Site" weekly record list.Both copies sold as you would imagine.Gary Spencer duly started to pack the first one into the mailer and snapped it,he then proceeded to do excactly the same with second.The third attempt with his own playbox copy found its way into the mailer.So if the recipient of this record reads this,you dont know what that tune cost!!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert