Those Funny Northern Soul Tracks

Nope, me neither. I've got a US Demo, US Issue and a UK Issue (Don't ask me why!)

My Dad told me about the different vocal years ago. He said he prefers the version where she 'screams' it, rather than sing it.

Agree with Miff. This is all music from the East Coast, stuff I was brought up on and not ashamed to admit I like it. Cool or Uncool, it's a fantastic funky dancer, by a bunch of greabo weirdo b*stards who never did anything else remotely funky.

I actually played this at a wedding do on Sunday, to a floor full of Young & Beautiful types, and it filled the floor. As did Willi J, Frankie Crocker and J J Caillier.

I was told beforehand not to play any 'Northern' as it was all House and stuff - So I didn't  :D   whistling.gif   :D

Jamie Ruth :D

link

Jamie, what's the date on your US demo?

I notice Miff's copy predates the UK one.

The later version is not just inferior in terms of vocals....the instrumentation is "smoother", sounds synthesised...loses all it's urgency :(

Sounds like a decent wedding do mate wink.gif .....you stopped short of Skullsnaps and Black Nasty then? :shades:

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 95
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Jamie

Jamie, what's the date on your US demo?

I notice Miff's copy predates the UK one.

The later version is not just inferior in terms of vocals....the instrumentation is "smoother", sounds synthesised...loses all it's urgency  :shades:

Sounds like a decent wedding do mate biggrin.gif .....you stopped short of Skullsnaps and Black Nasty then? :D

Dave

link

I'll have a dig in my box, It was the US issue I played. I remember the US demo has a 3min and 5min cut of Elusive.

I'll go & have a look for you matey. whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Jamie

I'll have a dig in my box, It was the US issue I played. I remember the US demo has a 3min and 5min cut of Elusive.

I'll go & have a look for you matey.  whistling.gif

link

1975 mate. Same year as the US issue.

But my issue doesn't have the 'Disco' thingy :D

Jamie :shades:

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Black Power James Coit

why does everyone hate it??

link

I agree it was popular at WIgan, and I was one of the schoolkids clambering for a copy at the time....But with the benefit of heinsight.....and a little more maturity...

Everybody hates it because it's just a meaningless noise, with bad rhythm, no tune and a guy who can't sing and can't even shout very well.

Moderators we still need the "toilet" clickable smilie to describe such waste.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Thanks for the info Jamie  whistling.gif

I've never heard of the "Disco" part before!

Dave

link

:shades: Now you've got me!!

I meant all mine don't have the 'Disco' splashed across the label like Miffs scan.

I had a look for my UK issue just to double-check the difference, but I'm having trouble finding it!! It's in a box somewhere!

Jamie

Social source share

whistling.gif   Now you've got me!!

I meant all mine don't have the 'Disco' splashed across the label like Miffs scan.

I had a look for my UK issue just to double-check the difference, but I'm having trouble finding it!! It's in a box somewhere!

Jamie

link

We may be at cross purposes mate.

I've got several Capitol records and I've never seen the words "disco capitol" before....thats what I meant :shades:

This is the uk:

post-1535-1115326824_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I know I have posted it before, and I know Pete likes it, but "Cats eyes" by Life is just the biggest pile of Kraftwerk reject euroelectrogarbage as you'll ever here. A pox on anyone's house who played it at Wigan, let alone covered it up :shades:

It should have been covered up by 6 feet of earth, and buried for good.

"Lightning strikes" by Lou Christie - quite a cute pop record in it's own way, and played repeatedly at Wigan by Dave E. whistling.gif

"Love Hustle" - Tony Hatch meets Bert Kampbert on heat with a funky twist. Had a brief spell of popularity in the late 70's then vanished (thankfully) from everyone's radar - for good.

Ral Donner "Don't let it slip away" - Elvis impersonator finds fame on the soul scene. Yipee to that.

"Theme from Coloredman" Teddy Vann - a TV series (allegedly), that didn't take off, and with a theme tune like that, no one can be at all surprised.

"I ate the whole thing" - sure sounds like you did with that voice! And who could forget an "Afternoon on the rhino" with Mike Post?

and more controversially folks "That's not love" Holly St James, utter drivel and not even a good pop record - should be banished from every self respecting DJ box biggrin.gif

Five and a Penny "You don't know where your interest lies" - Ken Cox finds Lincolnshire's answer to Wigan's Ovation - blah

These and other nightmares, gone and buried for good....I hope!

Now there's some controversy for you....

:D

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

More rubbish, anyone know 'Condition Red' by The Goodies - no, not the BBC comedy group, a US girl harmony group.

Its a 'death' record. Goes really well until the last bit when I fall about laughing.

Social source share

More rubbish, anyone know 'Condition Red' by The Goodies - no, not the BBC comedy group, a US girl harmony group.

Its a 'death' record. Goes really well until the last bit when I fall about laughing.

link

Embarrasingly enough on a Stax subsuidiary label too - think they were trying to copy the Shangri-Las or something - but agree it's dire. Not been played has it?

Social source share

Guest Jamie

We may be at cross purposes mate.

I've got several Capitol records and I've never seen the words "disco capitol" before....thats what I meant :shades:

This is the uk:

post-1535-1115326824_thumb.jpg

link

No mate, we are on the same hymn book, I thought you meant the different 'vocal' versions.

I've never seen that on the label either.....anyone else seen it???? whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Jamie

What about the 'Big O's' contribution to soul, wasn't it 'Penny Arcade' or something???

I mean, really. whistling.gif

Social source share

link

Yes I found a copy at a junk shop years ago I don't know what was worse, the record or me at the time thinking it may be a long lost soulful version of the Baltimore & Ohio Marching Band whistling.gif

Paul

Social source share

[

whats wrong with black power??

hes black ,its a stomper

everyone danced to it,,it was massive

looks nice a phoof white demo...

link

I don't. I agree with you, oldie style stomper - okay in my book. Does look nice on the white Phoof demo. Especially if you pick up a mint copy for a fiver, eh Kenny? thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I know I have posted it before, and I know Pete likes it, but "Cats eyes" by Life is just the biggest pile of Kraftwerk reject euroelectrogarbage as you'll ever here. A pox on anyone's house who played it at Wigan, let alone covered it up  :shades:

It should have been covered up by 6 feet of earth, and buried for good.

"Lightning strikes" by Lou Christie - quite a cute pop record in it's own way, and played repeatedly at Wigan by Dave E. thumbsup.gif

"Love Hustle" - Tony Hatch meets Bert Kampbert on heat with a funky twist. Had a brief spell of popularity in the late 70's then vanished (thankfully) from everyone's radar - for good.

Ral Donner "Don't let it slip away" - Elvis impersonator finds fame on the soul scene. Yipee to that.

"Theme from Coloredman" Teddy Vann - a TV series (allegedly), that didn't take off, and with a theme tune like that, no one can be at all surprised.

"I ate the whole thing" - sure sounds like you did with that voice! And who could forget an "Afternoon on the rhino" with Mike Post?

and more controversially folks "That's not love" Holly St James, utter drivel and not even a good pop record - should be banished from every self respecting DJ box  :D

Five and a Penny "You don't know where your interest lies" - Ken Cox finds Lincolnshire's answer to Wigan's Ovation - blah

These and other nightmares, gone and buried for good....I hope!

Now there's some controversy for you....

biggrin.gif

link

Having not learned how to interject comments yet, I apologise, but let's see:

Cats Eyes - yes of course it's crap but it brings back memories

Love Hustle - horrendous

Ral Donner - one of the records that made me pack in Wigan

Coloured Man - sounded good blasted out loud

The Whole Thing - never liked it, good to dance to though

Holly St James - wasn't keen at the time, grew on me

Five & A Penny - awful

have to take you up on Afternoon Of The Rhino though, not many instrumentals sounded as powerful as that and it was absolutely perfect for the time.

Social source share

[

whats wrong with black power??

hes black ,its a stomper

everyone danced to it,,it was massive

looks nice a phoof white demo...

link

Mark, it was massive but an equal amount of people hated it...I hated it from it's first play and still do, it's a mess.

Social source share

Guest miff

:shhh:

Another one I got of ebay recently for pennies on a demo, loved it when I was 16.

Never relised what it was about till i got it, allways thorght it was" I hate the whole thing" but NO its "I ate the whole thing " :D

Life "Cats eyes crap" :shhh: No No No its got to be one of the best instrumentals around, Not got a copy So if some one got one that they hate and wants to make a ashtray of it I will have it off them :lol:

Again not soul but what a dance record, seems to me that as some of us have got older we have forgoten why we got into northern in the first place. I can remember when what determend if a record was good, was if it a a break in it to clap, or do some floor work in. Not knocking the way things has moved but there must still be a place for all these records we grew up with even if its just the odd play out . wink.gif

Social source share

I've heard Mason Williams "Classical Gas" played at a soul do. Won't say where, it would do more harm than good.

It's not a bad tune, it's just not soul.

Social source share

:shhh:

Another one I got of ebay recently for pennies on a demo, loved it when I was 16.

Never relised what it was about till i got it, allways thorght it was" I hate the whole thing"  but NO its "I ate the whole thing " :D

Life "Cats eyes crap"  :shhh: No No No its got to be one of the best instrumentals around, Not got a copy So if some one got one that they hate and wants to make a ashtray of it I will have it off them :lol:

Again not soul but what a dance record, seems to me that as some of us have got older we have forgoten why we got into northern in the first place. I can remember when what determend if a record was good, was if it a a break in it to clap, or do some floor work in. Not knocking the way things has moved but there must still be a place for all these records we grew up with even if its just the odd play out .  wink.gif

link

Absolutely spot on and basically thats what I keep trying to stress about 'the old days' - it was much more fun when anything went. By the way, The Whole Thing was an American advert for Alka Seltzer. It must have been popular because it often gets referenced in current programs (in one episode of The Simpsons Homer says "I can't believe I ate the whole thing')

Social source share

Guest miff

.  By the way, The Whole Thing was an American advert for Alka Seltzer.  It must have been popular because it often gets referenced in current programs (in one episode of The Simpsons Homer says "I can't believe I ate the whole thing')

link

Thats somthing else I never Knew :shhh:

Social source share

Thats somthing else I never Knew  :shhh:

link

A mine of useless information, me

The Alka Seltzer commercial featured a large man displaying signs not of mere heart burn but signs he might literally explode at the dinner table a la Meaning of Life's Mr. Creosole. Before him is a large bowl that once contained a pasta dinner that could have sustained the people of Chad for the greater part of a year. With a look freely mixing one part terror and one part astonishment -- a look not far different from a man who has just impaled himself on a fence post while playing a harmless game of touch football -- our glutton dribbles from his mouth the unforgettable words "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

Believe it, round boy.

And believe Bayer when they cut to a spiel about the modern miracle of neutralizing acid with sodium bicarbonate. Of course Bayer doesn't tell the viewer its secret formula is baking soda. It just suggests that contained in two little pills of Alka Seltzer there's enough restorative power that even this fat ass with an uncontrollable appetite can receive temporary relief from the effects of his unbounded sinful gluttony.

Have your doubts?

The commercial cuts back to the shameless pig. Much to our surprise, he's not exploded. He's not a bloody mass on the chair. His rib cage is not cleaved open by a powerful internal blast of gastric juices and whatever the Christ he shoveled down his gullet at lunch. We do not see shreds of internal organs hanging from the unnaturally extended chest bones like skinned rabbits drying on sticks in an Indian smoke lodge. No, alas this fate has been reserved for only Monty Python's Mr. Creosole. This pork vacuum is, get this, smiling. He's just imbibed a glass of water in which he's dissolved two regular strength Alka Seltzer tablets. To confirm his fit-as-the-world's-fattest-fiddle condition, he answers his original, painfully put yet rhetorical demi-question "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" with the proud "the WHOLE thing".

burger.jpg

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest miff

I've heard Mason Williams "Classical Gas" played at a soul do. Won't say where, it would do more harm than good.

link

Why should it do more harm ? To me it says the dj that played it has the guts to try somthing out of the ordinary, if he got the bottle to play this maybe he/she may play somethig a bit differant that ive never heard, I may like it I may not but till ive heard it i dont know. How long is it goning to be before the tunes played out today that we at this miment in time hold in high reguard, become victim to the same fate as these tunes listed on this thread. Look at the Futures " part time party man " Not soul Not even a good dance tune IMO. But put it on the decks and the dance floor is full with all the folks that have come for a good night out. To the disstain of the purist who carnt understand it :shhh:

Social source share

link

That was definitely played at venues whenever it came out - 1970? I've heard it quoted as being played in an old fanzine and I've also got it being played on Mike Raven's r&b show on reel to reel. Makes you wonder :shhh:

Social source share

That was definitely played at venues whenever it came out - 1970?  I've heard it quoted as being played in an old fanzine and I've also got it being played on Mike Raven's r&b show on reel to reel.  Makes you wonder  :thumbsup:

link

I'm sure that I heard that it was played possibly by Mr Barnfather at a soul night in about 75 and he covered it up as "Morning Of The Monkey"! Anyone else remember?

Paul

Social source share

I'm sure that I heard that it was played possibly by Mr Barnfather at a soul night in about 75 and he covered it up as "Morning Of The Monkey"!  Anyone else remember?

Paul

link

No but he did play 'sign of the crab' by Joe S Maxey on Action - (which was actually Go Head On by The packers)

Social source share

Hi everyone! Long time lurker new poster here.

Anyway, I'm doing a little Northern Compilation for some friends and I got to thinking. Somewhere in my collection I have a few tracks that became big in the clubs but weren't originally 'soul' songs. Stuff like the theme from Joe90.

Can you all help me out with some other suggestions so I could burn up a disc of this kind of stuff?

Much appreciated

:thumbsup:

link

How about "Groovin with (Dr?) Bloe" by (Dr?/Mr) Bloe. Heard it played at a couple of soul do' and never would have had it down as Northern Soul cos I only had previously remembered it as a 70's chart hit. Although it might not be N.S.P.C. to say, I like it! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Brian J

I'm Shaft, You Aint Shaft- JB Freeman

Feel The Need In Me- Graham Central Station

Sexy Sugar Plumbollox

Good riddance (Nothin' to say)- No Fags & The Javelles

Social source share

How about "Groovin with (Dr?) Bloe" by (Dr?/Mr) Bloe. Heard it played at a couple of soul do' and never would have had it down as Northern Soul cos I only had previously remembered it as a 70's chart hit. Although it might not be N.S.P.C. to say, I like it!  :thumbsup:

link

I think that was played before it was a hit to be honest and became a hit because of that...then they started playing other tracks off the LP (Land of 1000 dances was one I think). Also the original version of Groovin' by the group "Wind" could have been played I suppose.

Social source share

I'm Shaft, You Aint Shaft- JB Freeman

Feel The Need In Me- Graham Central Station

Sexy Sugar Plumbollox

Good riddance (Nothin' to say)- No Fags & The Javelles

link

Agree with those except Sugar Plum, I played that a few weeks back and it sounded great!

Social source share

Guest miff

Sexy sugar plum, :thumbsup: Are you all trying to say I spent all my miss spent youth listening to the Wrong records :thumbsup: If you got into Northern around 75/76 as I did, when you were still at school, these records are what you spent youre money on as they were still available on genral realese and I still hold them dear to my heart, If you were brought up on a better class of record then lucky you. these type off records pathed the way for many a youth into Northern they had instant appeal and made it to the charts That dose not make them a bad record, I can not understand why Chuck wood 7 days will still fill a dance floor but if you were to play the chosen few Footsie it would empty seems a bit double standerd to me.

Social source share

I can not understand why Chuck wood 7 days will still fill a dance floor but if you were to play the chosen few Footsie it would empty seems a bit double standerd to me.

Well that may have something to do with Chuck Wood " 7 Day's " being a brilliant record, Footsee however was Crap to start with & is even Crapier when I here it now....The reason so many people danced to it was if you stopped Dancing in those day's you would loose you spot. I reackon most people on the Northern Scene bought it for Chuck Wood anyway.....

Keep @ It

Jon Buck

Social source share

Guest miff

I can not understand why Chuck wood 7 days will still fill a dance floor but if you were to play the chosen few Footsie it would empty seems a bit double standerd to me.

Well that may have something to do with Chuck Wood " 7 Day's " being a brilliant record, Footsee however was Crap to start with &  is even Crapier when I here it now....The reason so many people danced to it was if you stopped Dancing in those day's you would loose you spot. I reackon most people on the Northern Scene bought it for Chuck Wood anyway.....

Keep @ It 

Jon Buck

link

I agree wiyh you on that but some one must of liked it or it would not of got into the charts, If the people who relesed it wanted Chuck wood as the main focal point it would have been on the A side. The point I was trying to make was just because a record got a genral release it does not make it any less likly to fill a dance floor and as such should still get played out, which is not what seems to of happend to a lot good tunes and then they get ridiculed and called s**te by people who never heard them when thet first broke and filled dance floors everywhere

people still like to hear these tunes it annoys me when somthing on the lines of out on the floor get played and people take the p**s out of the folk that want to dance to it. I am not saying its my cup of tea now but is was once and i enjoy watching them enjoyig it :thumbsup:

Social source share

I agree wiyh you on that but some one must of liked it or it would not of got into the charts, If the people who relesed it wanted Chuck wood as the main focal point it would have been on the A side. The point I was trying to make was just because a record got a genral release it does not make it any less likly to fill a dance floor and as such should still get played out, which is not what seems to of happend to a lot good tunes and then they get ridiculed and called s**te by people who never heard them when thet first broke and filled dance floors everywhere 

people still like to hear these tunes it annoys me when somthing on the lines of out on the floor get played and people take the p**s out of the folk that want to dance to it. I am not saying its my cup of tea now but is was once and i enjoy watching them enjoyig it  :thumbsup:

link

Totally agree Miff, my mate still rates out on the floor as his alltime favourite and will always dance to it no matter what and allthough its not mine or everyones cup of tea, you can bet that once he gets up then the floor will fill, even myself and others who are in-different about such tracks these days will go with him and it inevitably keeps the night going. I think its striking a balance between who likes what in the room and respecting each others preferences.

And he did give me a copy of out on the floor as i had'nt got one. Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest martyn

link

Yeah sounds like Shangri Las................Your not the mug who bought my copy off ebay are you??? whistling.gif:sleep3:

Social source share

Guest martyn

link

Heard it in Mr Ms more than a few times wink.gif

Social source share

How about "Groovin with (Dr?) Bloe" by (Dr?/Mr) Bloe. Heard it played at a couple of soul do' and never would have had it down as Northern Soul cos I only had previously remembered it as a 70's chart hit. Although it might not be N.S.P.C. to say, I like it!  ph34r.gif

link

"Curried soul"another one by Mr Bloe i think is allright :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Yeah sounds like Shangri Las................Your not the mug who bought my copy off ebay are you??? wink.gif   ph34r.gif

link

No, I found mine - along with about 50 other records - in a second hand shop. it was probably the worst of the bunch, although 'Pennant Fever' by the Chicago Cubs (I think? Can't be bothered digging for it)(And I think they were a baseball team btw) runs it a close second.

Sometimes I realise that there is a very good reason why some records are rare. Its because they were always crap. :sleep3:

Social source share

The Cartstairs almost defines xover Northern Soul. All the boxes are ticked. Its got soul (the guys pouring his guts out), its a black artist, its got a dance beat, its got clapping breaks, it fills dance floors, its gets the crowd singing along. Apart from being overplayed its a classic.

Whats not to like unless you dont like 70 xover.

Ed

Social source share

The Cartstairs almost defines xover Northern Soul. All the boxes are ticked. Its got soul (the guys pouring his guts out), its a black artist, its got a dance beat, its got clapping breaks, it fills dance floors, its gets the crowd singing along. Apart from being overplayed its a classic.

Whats not to like unless you dont like 70 xover.

Ed

link

How about it contains one of the worst vocal performances of all time, out of tune backing, dreadful lyrics and it's f*cking awful? Oh, but it's black, that makes it good then!

Social source share

Hi everyone! Long time lurker new poster here.

Anyway, I'm doing a little Northern Compilation for some friends and I got to thinking. Somewhere in my collection I have a few tracks that became big in the clubs but weren't originally 'soul' songs. Stuff like the theme from Joe90.

Can you all help me out with some other suggestions so I could burn up a disc of this kind of stuff?

Much appreciated

:wicked:

link

Is the QOF having a major CRAFT moment or do I remember Lulu "Shout" getting played out in the North West sometime in the early 70s

QOF

XX

Social source share

Didn't somebody play Tony Blackburn @ Wigan....

Jon Buck

link

Minshull, Russ etc...Yes indeed, they all played TB. This was all a ruse involving a young Ady Croasdell, some sellotape and a false label as I recall, but it went massive. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert