Any Sampled Tunes

Theresa

Armand Van Helden for me with You Don't Know Me and i am very much into dance music and

Alcatzar - Crying At The Discoteque is great which samples an old Disco tune Spacer or something.

I can hear the Armand Van Helden thing in my head but what did it sample?..

Ta

Jayne.x

Social source share

• Replies 73
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Got it!

Carrie Lucas ~ DANCE WITH YOU (1977)

I think.

So Solar not Salsoul.

Unless I've got it wrong (again) >->

oh super - I shall have a listen when I get home.

Thank you!

Jayne.x

Social source share

Was just thinking today, that sometimes when you get over the initial choking reaction to someone 'stealing one of our tunes', the result of a sampling can be better than the original, or at least different in a good way.

For instance, despite Johnnie Taylor's 'What About My Love' being one of my all-time favourites, once I'd recovered from the shock of hearing it on mainstream radio, I quite liked the way Shapeshifters Lola's Theme made an uplifting song out of a heartbreakingly sad one. Shame Johnnie never got to see it at No.1, bless him.

I loved Deep Sensation's treatment of Sly Johnson for 'Somehow, Somewhere (There's a Soul Heaven)', and of course Angie Stone's 'Wish I Didn't Miss You'.

What about some more recent ones?

T x

Loved the Masters @ work " Strange games & funky things" lp`s [ a good few years ago mind]

I saw Angie Stone live in Brighton doing "wish i did`t miss you"....... fantastic :lol:

Should`t you be reading bed time stories to the wee one`s or cooking hubby a meal, instead of sampling SS.

Women.... know your place :thumbsup:

Social source share

Loved the Masters @ work " Strange games & funky things" lp`s [ a good few years ago mind]

I saw Angie Stone live in Brighton doing "wish i did`t miss you"....... fantastic :lol:

Should`t you be reading bed time stories to the wee one`s or cooking hubby a meal, instead of sampling SS.

Women.... know your place :thumbsup:

Oh Uxbridge Man, how I love it when ginger men get all masterful with me, *sigh*. You're right, I know nothing about soul, but I do love little kittens... Are you out this Saturday then? We'll be up at Stoke. Did you have a good birthday?

T x

Social source share

Ooh that's a bit fast for me to dance around to with my arms in the air doing the actions, like I used to with the original... or maybe the bingo wings have just caught up with me a bit :thumbsup: . I think it was Keith Woon who first gave me that record years ago. Absolutely loved it, and still do.

A slight deviation on the subject / topic .........

Mainstream radio stations are playing a record by Boss Hoss - a country / rock version of Cameo's " Word Up " , which has to be heard to be believed ........

Larry Blackmon's cod piece must be spinning in its' grave .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

This is an interesting thread.

Talking of 'Double Exposure' and the sound of Philadelphia:

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbh3KR8GNkc

I wonder if all those years ago they ever realised, writers, musicians, producers etc, that their songs and licks would used in others' music and songs 30 years later or so? What's even worse, without the right credits to those responsible for the creation of the work in the first place. In one sense it helps the song reach new audiences, but I wonder how they feel seeing their creations altered, copied and sold without any dews. I would never had heard of 'Love is you' for example if it was not for Spiller! It's a pity some of these DJ's can't actually put their hand in their pocket and create new material.

Social source share

How about Newcastle band Spearmint whose song 'Sweeping the Nation' relied heavily on 'Out on the Floor', you might think this sounds a bit obvious but it works really well.

I'm new to this and haven't quite figured out how to add a song yet so here's a link to their Myspace site whre you can hear the song.

Social source share

How about Newcastle band Spearmint whose song 'Sweeping the Nation' relied heavily on 'Out on the Floor', you might think this sounds a bit obvious but it works really well.

On the same cd they also sampled The Four Tops - I Just Can't Get You Out of My Mind in their song "A Week Away" and Rare Pleasire - Let Me Down Easy in "A Trip Into Space".

Haven't listened to this record in years but just took it out and found it to be really great!

Social source share

On the same cd they also sampled The Four Tops - I Just Can't Get You Out of My Mind in their song "A Week Away" and Rare Pleasire - Let Me Down Easy in "A Trip Into Space".

Haven't listened to this record in years but just took it out and found it to be really great!

Just a warning to everyone, don't go near the cover of Frankie Valli's The Night by Lene Lovich , much as I like her I'm sure you won't be too surprised to learn that it is truly awful.

Edited by Bicks
Social source share

Guest mel brat

I heard two great songs mangled on the radio a few years ago, "Inside Your Love" (Minnie Riperton), and This Time Around" (S.O.U.L) - both totally ruined by somebody or other...! :huh: Also whoever it was that sampled "Stop Sign" (Mel Wynn & Rhythm Aces) - though that wasn't too bad, considering. I do wish some of them would show more originality though, and give due credit to the original artists. Pop cover versions are (usually) even worse!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

While I have the Trammps' LEGENDARY ZING L.P., I can't remember how "Rubber Band" goes, so presumably wouldn't have spotted ol' 50 cent sampling it anyway :thumbup::huh:

It was also used on a Mary J Blige single about this time last year.

Social source share

Has anyone got a link to these Spearmint tracks? I haven't heard them, and though I think The Four Tops could be sacrilege, I still need a listen as that's one of my all time top twenty tunes and I'd love to hear what they did with it!

T

Edited by theresa
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert