The Internet

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I wondered what you all thought about The Internet in terms of soul as someone said in a post on here that the Internet didn't do Northern soul any good what do you think

for me personally it did or else we wouldn't be here talking about the scene we love aswell as you can search the net for tracks and cd's and records we all want without the need to go out of your house although i do both check shops/dealers and shop online

Social source share

• Replies 173
  • Views 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I wondered what you all thought about The Internet in terms of soul as someone said in a post on here that the Internet didn't do Northern soul any good what do you think

for me personally it did or else we wouldn't be here talking about the scene we love aswell as you can search the net for tracks and cd's and records we all want without the need to go out of your house although i do both check shops/dealers and shop online

Paul Weller called the internet "The Devils Window" - but I noticed his website has just been re-vamped :thumbsup:

Its just a way of communicating isn't it? ?

Social source share

People who complain about the internet are just upset there monoploy has gone, it's a medium that the little guy can compete with the big boys. :shades:

I agree...not just in collecting Soul records but in all walks of life...everything and anything is there for you to buy at the click of a button...i'm sure to the serious soul collector it must have improved their chances of getting those must have records

Would be interesting to hear from a serious collector on here about what it was like pre-internet and the trouble they had to go through to get the records they wanted?

I know one of my mates from Wales says he used to spend hours in public phone boxes listening to records down the phone haha

Social source share

I agree...not just in collecting Soul records but in all walks of life...everything and anything is there for you to buy at the click of a button...i'm sure to the serious soul collector it must have improved their chances of getting those must have records

Would be interesting to hear from a serious collector on here about what it was like pre-internet and the trouble they had to go through to get the records they wanted?

I know one of my mates from Wales says he used to spend hours in public phone boxes listening to records down the phone haha

It was easier for some Beeks . We just went up to John Andersons place :shades:

Social source share

Well, Looks like I'm on my own again then... :shades: I deffo, certainly 100% think that the internet has been a bad thing for the soul scene. It has played as much a part of empying venue's as the smoking ban has!. I have many many reasons for thinking this but sadly not enough time to list them all. Yes, I've made some fantastic friends, who i've got to know on places like here, KTF, Night Owl etc but on the whole, I think the scene was more enjoyable before t'net.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Paul Weller called the internet "The Devils Window" - but I noticed his website has just been re-vamped :shades:

Its just a way of communicating isn't it? ?

and a source of entertainment...

Jayne.x

Social source share

It was easier for some Beeks . We just went up to John Andersons place biggrin.gif

Jeez Simon if i had a tenner for every time you "name dropped" John Anderson i wouldn't have to work :shades:

Derek

Social source share

Well, Looks like I'm on my own again then... :yes: I deffo, certainly 100% think that the internet has been a bad thing for the soul scene. It has played as much a part of empying venue's as the smoking ban has!. I have many many reasons for thinking this but sadly not enough time to list them all. Yes, I've made some fantastic friends, who i've got to know on places like here, KTF, Night Owl etc but on the whole, I think the scene was more enjoyable before t'net.

Jayne.x

I'm with you Jayne.

These days people log onto the internet, write a few posts and genuinely think they are part of the northern soul scene.

Hello? To be 'part of the northern soul scene' you need to get out there and actually go to venues. Not just post a few words on the internet.

You can love soul music by not going to venues, but you can't be part of the scene by sitting in your front room.

Social source share

I'm with you Jayne.

These days people log onto the internet, write a few posts and genuinely think they are part of the northern soul scene.

Hello? To be 'part of the northern soul scene' you need to get out there and actually go to venues. Not just post a few words on the internet.

You can love soul music by not going to venues, but you can't be part of the scene by sitting in your front room.

:yes: Bingo!.

I guessed that if anyone agreed, it would be either a DJ or promotor...

The net makes it too readily accessible, Too easy and much cheaper for people to sit themselves down in front of their PC on a friday or saturday night and have an evening of northern soul. The internet and instant access to all things northern soul are killing the scene.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Well, Looks like I'm on my own again then... :yes: I deffo, certainly 100% think that the internet has been a bad thing for the soul scene. It has played as much a part of empying venue's as the smoking ban has!.

I don't get that at all Jayne i'm sorry...from a promoters perspective I can't believe you don't see the internet as a good thing...the free publicity you can get through advertising your nights over here is priceless and can be sent out to a far wider demographic than trawling your way on flyer runs(believe me i've done my fair share of them in my time)

I know what you're thinking...you're thinking too saturated...too much competition...maybe your partially right in that respect...but I still think it has done more good than bad for all aspects of music not just Soul

Just think about all those MP3s...do you really want to go back to tapes?! :D

Social source share

at one time the only way i could hear certain tunes was to travel to the venues that djs that had them were playing, in that way a lot of the mystique has gone.

its too accessable in my opinion.

Beeks one minute you wont put up the tunes you are playing but you want us al to do the same for you on the rnb thread, surely you can see where the internet is indeed the "devils window".

Social source share

I don't get that at all Jayne i'm sorry...from a promoters perspective I can't believe you don't see the internet as a good thing...the free publicity you can get through advertising your nights over here is priceless and can be sent out to a far wider demographic than trawling your way on flyer runs(believe me i've done my fair share of them in my time)

I know what you're thinking...you're thinking too saturated...too much competition...maybe your partially right in that respect...but I still think it has done more good than bad for all aspects of music not just Soul

Just think about all those MP3s...do you really want to go back to tapes?! :yes:

Joan and Jayne are both right Beeks. far fewer people travel these days, number of reasons I guess but the music is far more accessible, especially with the amount of boots/reissues etc and of course mp3's. Going back to tapes, well wouldn't be a bad thing, the tape swappers circuit back in the 80's was superb, just not the same downloading an mp3. I like to hear how people put a tape/.cd together, just as I do when I listen to a dj. People just don't bother anymore to travel to hear the records they can't get as they are often availbale at the click of a mouse.

I agree the advertising is invaluable but we found out what was on and where to go before sites like Soul Source so I guess the scene would have carried on just as before. In fact word of mouth as it used to be was probably the best way to finds out what a venue was like rather than read what half a dozen mates of the promoter puts in look backs.

And the new glossy flyers are just no good...flyers were invaluable for scribbling info down on the back, you just can't do this now with the glossy two sided C5 flyers :yes::D

Social source share

Just think about all those MP3s...do you really want to go back to tapes?! :D

Whilst the boss is out..

Internet advertising is far less effective because as you mention, it's too saturated. People gloss over and dont read it properly because there is that much of it.

Paper mailshotting, when you're the only flyer dropping on to the mat and you're more appealing than the pile of bills you arrive with always has had much more impact for me.

We started a membership base ten years ago and kept all members up to date with our events for years, less so in the last 18 months and the months when I ran a mailshot have always been busier. Internet advertising does't make much difference. E-mail shots are less effective too.

It temps you into wasting time aiming your promotion at people who are never going to attend. For soul night awareness, yes it's great but to actually increase numbers on the door, nope.

It's created an option for people to stay home and not attend your venue, whilst listening to music and interacting with other like minded individuals. Which is disasterous. People dont feel as 'left out of it' with the use of the internet. They can often read the start of a venue lookback before the events ended and feel part of it.

I've spoken to loads of people who say that the impact and 'need' to go out at weekend is much lesser now they can listen to northern at home, though that's a different issue.

Having use of The internet does not encourage people to go out and continue the scene. It'll be full of folks sitting chatting about 'what used to be' one day because they'll be no bugger out there actually doing it anymore..

Oooh, I need a brew now.. :yes:

Jayne.x

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

I'm with you Jayne.

Spot on Joan, too many key board warriors who have little to do with the scene other than shoot there mouth off on the internet.

Social source share

Joan and Jayne are both right Beeks. far fewer people travel these days, number of reasons I guess but the music is far more accessible, especially with the amount of boots/reissues etc and of course mp3's. Going back to tapes, well wouldn't be a bad thing, the tape swappers circuit back in the 80's was superb, just not the same downloading an mp3. I like to hear how people put a tape/.cd together, just as I do when I listen to a dj. People just don't bother anymore to travel to hear the records they can't get as they are often availbale at the click of a mouse.

I agree the advertising is invaluable but we found out what was on and where to go before sites like Soul Source so I guess the scene would have carried on just as before. In fact word of mouth as it used to be was probably the best way to finds out what a venue was like rather than read what half a dozen mates of the promoter puts in look backs.

And the new glossy flyers are just no good...flyers were invaluable for scribbling info down on the back, you just can't do this now with the glossy two sided C5 flyers :yes::D

yes, even a short time ago, the only way to hear the current big sounds was to get out there. I miss that!.

Trying to remember what we did before t'net... collect flyers at venues, listen to Richard's club info slot when his show was on sunday's and write down a list of venues that were on and didn't Ady used to do a mailshot for the 100club members?. I had a membership a good few years ago and every now and then flyers used to appear. Oh and of course gig listings in Manifesto and Togethernes..

Hasn't it changed a lot in such a short space of time!.

:yes:

Social source share

Joan and Jayne are both right Beeks. far fewer people travel these days, number of reasons I guess but the music is far more accessible, especially with the amount of boots/reissues etc and of course mp3's.

Poses an interesting question actually Chalky...do you think that might be more to do with their age/family commitments more than the reasons you stated?

I should imagine that some people just can't find the time to travel half way round the country once you reach a certain stage in life other priorities might surface?

It makes you think that for club nights to survive then perhaps it is unavoidable that you need to introduce new and younger blood into the scene to keep from going under or risk losing the one aspect of the music that is imperative to its very survival

There is no doubt that there are still a vast amount of people into the music...but as Joan has pointed out I wonder what percentage of them actually go to nights? I reckon it's probably quite small...another point is there are lots of people into Soul who rarely go on the internet at all?

Social source share

yes, even a short time ago, the only way to hear the current big sounds was to get out there. I miss that!.

Trying to remember what we did before t'net... collect flyers at venues, listen to Richard's club info slot when his show was on sunday's and write down a list of venues that were on and didn't Ady used to do a mailshot for the 100club members?. I had a membership a good few years ago and every now and then flyers used to appear. Oh and of course gig listings in Manifesto and Togethernes..

Hasn't it changed a lot in such a short space of time!.

:yes:

I've a load of flyers somewhere from the 80's etc, hardly any from 2000+

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

If nothing else, the invention of Multimap has meant that we no longer spend 2 hours circling alien northern towns trying to find niter venues :lol: , so I give the internet a massive thumbs up :yes:

Aah i think we still do that Theresa, is all part of the fun though! :D

I think the internet is fantastic but then i've grown up with it more or less where as most of the older folk on here haven't... :yes:

Social source share

Poses an interesting question actually Chalky...do you think that might be more to do with their age/family commitments more than the reasons you stated?

I should imagine that some people just can't find the time to travel half way round the country once you reach a certain stage in life other priorities might surface?

It makes you think that for club nights to survive then perhaps it is unavoidable that you need to introduce new and younger blood into the scene to keep from going under or risk losing the one aspect of the music that is imperative to its very survival

There is no doubt that there are still a vast amount of people into the music...but as Joan has pointed out I wonder what percentage of them actually go to nights? I reckon it's probably quite small...another point is there are lots of people into Soul who rarely go on the internet at all?

I know you've asked Chalky but whilst i'm here.. :yes:

Age and family commitments? - nope most soulie's (sorry!) are at the age where kids are now grown up, mortgages paid off and their time is their own again.

(Although, I think more and more are starting with the grandkids committment)..

You dont have to travel half way round the country, there are events on everywhere. I can't see a reason why you can't support a local venue, even if you can't afford the petrol, journey and cost of going to a niter or travelling further a field.

Jayne.x

Social source share

I know you've asked Chalky but whilst i'm here.. :D

Age and family commitments? - nope most soulie's (sorry!) are at the age where kids are now grown up, mortgages paid off and their time is their own again.

(Although, I think more and more are starting with the grandkids committment)..

You dont have to travel half way round the country, there are events on everywhere. I can't see a reason why you can't support a local venue, even if you can't afford the petrol, journey and cost of going to a niter or travelling further a field.

Jayne.x

That maybe so Jayne...but even health wise...at 50+ the thoughts to some(not all) of dancing until 6am is however pleasant musically...might not interpret itself bodily :yes:

Social source share

I've a load of flyers somewhere from the 80's etc, hardly any from 2000+

Glad to see I'm not the only saddo with an old flyer collection then!. :D:yes:

Jayne.x

Social source share

That maybe so Jayne...but even health wise...at 50+ the thoughts to some(not all) of dancing until 6am is however pleasant musically...might not interpret itself bodily :yes:

PMSL.. you are having a laugh!... :yes: .. get out to more nighters and you'll change your mind. Listen, these 'seasoned professionals' outlast me at most niters.

It's like working night shift, your body becomes acustomed to it.(so they tell me) It's certainly not the case that it's the youngest lasting until the end of these events.

nah, maybe in a few years and maybe for a few but deffo not for the majority. 50 is the new 40 dontcha know! :D

Jayne.x

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

As you get older your commitments probably become less intrusive, kids growing up etc. Maybe if everything wasn't so accesibnle then maybe the urge to travel and hear the new records would return?

Its been well documented that the scene needs new and younger blood but it's never gonna happen in sufficient numbers to ensure it's survival. The scene needs a major overhaul, baggies and vests, circle skirts etc just aren't appealing to the young 'uns, they aren't appealing to many older 'uns either :D and the majority of scene regulars are old enough to be the youing 'uns mums, dads and even grand parents, did you go on the town with your mum and dad??? The venues have to stop sticking with same old same oldies to appeal to anyone new, it's like going to the local night club and hearing the same top 40 for 20 odd years :yes: Anyway thats another arguement.

And finally yes I agree with you there are still a vast amount of people into the music, but they aren't into the scene, thats the big difference.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

What you need to understand is that while I might be a relative newcomer to the Rare Soul scene...when it comes to promoting venues I have vast experience running very successful club nights for many years...and filling those nights with people...and the secret to running any music night WHATEVER the genre remains the same...Saturation...whatever medium. And I personally think that the internet is an important tool...Not THE most important...as you have already mentioned i'd rather someone with a flyer in the hand any day over a brief look at an advert on a screen...but in my opinion every little helps and I disagree that the internet stops people going out because they can stay in and listen to music...I think those people will always be that way inclined...with or without the relevant technology.

Social source share

Its been well documented that the scene needs new and younger blood but it's never gonna happen in sufficient numbers to ensure it's survival.

I wouldn't be so sure Chalky...I think you are right in one aspect...that the scene as it is will not survive...but I think you will find that there is already a successful hybrid scene developing as we speak...I know...it's not pure Northern...but it is an initial gateway into the music...you look at nights for example here in manc...last Beat Boutique had 300+ through the door...big mix of ages...playing Northern/mod/ska/rocksteady...the kids love it!!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Mixed feelings from me. I agree with Joan, Jayne and Chalky that the internet does take away some of the magic of the 'underground' nature of the scene and us lot being a breed apart. Hardly exclusive and underground anymore when you google 'northern soul' and get 1,560,000 hits (yes i just checked).

I used to love getting Blues and Soul and Black Echoes and planning where I was going every week and waiting for typed sales lists to come through the post from Soul Bowl or wherever and yes even listening to records down the phone or getting sent a tape by the dealer or getting tapes off mates and even acquintances at nighters (i can't ever remember going to soul night 25 years ago, did they even exist?).

Also sending measurements and even drawings to Spencers (that was just brilliant) and the little advert in Echoes (fantastic) and then waiting for them to be delivered. :yes:

As for the question of commitments, i do envy soulies who have paid off their mortgages and their kids have left the home. I was a bit of a late starter family-wise, i'm 42 but got married at 33 and my kids are still only 5, so i've still got 'family commitments'. Having said that though, i'll never stop going out and try to at least twice a month still. For me it's never just been about sitting at home and listening to the music it's always been about dancing my heart out on a wooden dancefloor, surrounded by other soul lovers, all part of one brilliant part of my life. :D So the internet hasn't changed that part for me.

Thank God records still come by post, it's one of the few things left from those days.

Social source share

PMSL.. you are having a laugh!... :D .. get out to more nighters and you'll change your mind. Listen, these 'seasoned professionals' outlast me at most niters.

It's like working night shift, your body becomes acustomed to it.(so they tell me) It's certainly not the case that it's the youngest lasting until the end of these events.

nah, maybe in a few years and maybe for a few but deffo not for the majority. 50 is the new 40 dontcha know! :yes:

Jayne.x

Again Jayne...you are talking about people who are already going to nighters...i'm talking about the missing people who are not

Social source share

What you need to understand is that while I might be a relative newcomer to the Rare Soul scene...when it comes to promoting venues I have vast experience running very successful club nights for many years...and filling those nights with people...and the secret to running any music night WHATEVER the genre remains the same...Saturation...whatever medium. And I personally think that the internet is an important tool...Not THE most important...as you have already mentioned i'd rather someone with a flyer in the hand any day over a brief look at an advert on a screen...but in my opinion every little helps and I disagree that the internet stops people going out because they can stay in and listen to music...I think those people will always be that way inclined...with or without the relevant technology.

What I need to understand?.. :yes: Dont worry Dear, you've told me enough!. :yes:

What you need to understand is that the internet is not necessarily the most effective way to promote a venue. It depends what you're promoting and the demographic of the target audience has a lot to do with the most effective way of promotion. We run ballroom / sequence dances every sunday at The Longfield Suite, we get 300+ in from all over (funnily enough they do the same circuits as soulies, they go for the dancefloors) but saturation via the net would have absolutely no effect!.

Same with the Line Dancing at Radcliffe Civic, they dont bother with 'net advertising either.

It is an important tool I agree, but going back to the original question and I feel it's done more harm than good.

If you'd seen the "scene" a few years ago compared to how it is at the moment and the number of people who stay in now and can't be arsed going out because they've been there and done that or for whatever reason, maybe you'd be surprised. Maybe after a ten year revival or so, people want a change and soul on t'net allows them this.. just guessing on that one..

I do believe without the 'net, the venue's would be better attended. :D

Jayne.x

Social source share

Again Jayne...you are talking about people who are already going to nighters...i'm talking about the missing people who are not

hmm yeh, good point.. I'd probably agree with that. I can think of a number of folks who dont go out regularly anymore and were waving the white flag

come 2 / 3am at a couple of weekenders this year..

Jayne.x

Social source share

I agree Jayne with regards to the internet, after a week on here and similar sites, come Friday ppl need a break from it all, maybe go and visit the in-laws or summat :yes:

:yes::D .. visit the in-laws!!.. how very wrong!.. LOL :lol:

Social source share

Not too sure that the internet is the reason people stay at home more these days. More likely

a) Lack of quality nights

b)far too many dull dj's

c) the prohibitive cost of travelling across the country especially if like me you rely on public transport

Derek

Edited by Derek Jack
Social source share

I wouldn't be so sure Chalky...I think you are right in one aspect...that the scene as it is will not survive...but I think you will find that there is already a successful hybrid scene developing as we speak...I know...it's not pure Northern...but it is an initial gateway into the music...you look at nights for example here in manc...last Beat Boutique had 300+ through the door...big mix of ages...playing Northern/mod/ska/rocksteady...the kids love it!!

I got into the northern scene to listen to northern and rare soul music not. I don't want rock steady/mod/ska or whatever else you want to play. If younger folks want to use these "hybrid" venues as a stepping stone to get into northern then fine, but if they want to hear other genres you describe then as far as I'm concerned they can stay where they are. I can think of many northern/rare nights that get 300 plus through the door, many other nights that are packed so that arguement really doesn't wash.

Social source share

what you need to understand Beeks is that promoter club nights is totally different compared to northern nights. Northern nights are basically about the music. I'm guessing that many of these young 'uns who go to places like the beat boutique are students given that it's Manchester and couldn't give a toss what the music is really?

At the end of the day the internet has as been said has taken away the mystique that WAS the Northern Scene. The intrigue and the desire to hear new music is and has gradually gone by the wayside. Not so long ago you had to go out to buy the records or wait for a list to drop through the door, no more, again just the click of a mouse away....sad really in one respect.

Social source share

If nothing else, the invention of Multimap has meant that we no longer spend 2 hours circling alien northern towns trying to find niter venues :lol: , so I give the internet a massive thumbs up thumbup.gif

Bet you still find yourself 'circling' those alien Northerners though eh Theresa? :ohmy::lol:

I'm a big fan of t'internet (from a soul point of view and loads more) Its a really useful communication/networking tool, (here, facebook etc) great for buying and selling (e-bay) checking reviews of holiday destinations/hotels (eg; trip advisor reviews).

What's more I actually still love sending and receiving c.d's in the post (I've progressed remarkably from tapes you see! laugh.gif ) even though I do have an i-pod and do download mp3's. Also, If I'm in the car/have a c.d or tune playing of which I haven't got an mp3 then I have been known to play it down the phone to a mate (and vice versa) and probably still will in my 60's if I still get the buzz from a new tune, the internet hasn't changed that for me either!

In terms of attending venues, in my opinion, travel and Northern go hand in hand. It's in a soulies blood to travel (in fact I'd go so far as to say its a massive part of the whole enjoyment) and I dont think it can be argued that the availability of music online has stopped soulies going out so much? Since when has listening to the music at home been a substitute for the atmosphere and enjoyment of a soul night/nighter?!? :sleep3:

Social source share

Not too sure that the internet is the reason people stay at home more these days. More likely

a) Lack of quality nights

b)far too many dull dj's

c) the prohibitive cost of travelling across the country especially if like me you rely on public transport

Derek

I think lack of quality nights is an excuse and interprets to me as 'can't be arsed'. Every taste is catered for in one form or another. There are many dull dj's but there are many many DJ's out there with stunning collections to be heard at venue's all over the country.

C) yep, I'll agree with that one as an issue. It begs the question " how did people travel across the country years ago when travel wasn't so available and many souli'es were kids without cars?" but then I suppose there weren't as many nights on and people went to the same venues more often (wigan, mecca, etc) as it was all that was available to them? (just a guess)..

Jayne.x

Social source share

I think its a double edged sword :ohmy: its a fantastic way to advertise you soul do/nighter , especially in these days of dropping numbers and its a fab way of keeping in touch :sleep3: & i LOVE the smilies whistling.gif but records are so accessible , and i think takes the fun out of it a bit , theres nothing better than trawling through box after box hoping to find that one record , there are 100's of pro's & con's , so as usual i fear this will be a long thread laugh.gif so i will go put the kettle on :lol: xxxxxxx

Social source share

At the end of the day the internet has as been said has taken away the mystique that WAS the Northern Scene. The intrigue and the desire to hear new music is and has gradually gone by the wayside. Not so long ago you had to go out to buy the records or wait for a list to drop through the door, no more, again just the click of a mouse away....sad really in one respect.

I'd be interested in what record dealers make of it. My guess is that it's either great for them and availability of sales lists etc has created a massive and constant buzz or people used to get more excited when a record list pops through the letter box and that 'got to have it now before it goes' feeling drove sales. I wonder if now there are more lists available (via the net) some people dont have the urgency to "buy it now".

Years ago I wasted many a morning trying to get through t'mill at Todmorden because the sales list had hit the mats and the phones were then jammed half a day. It was more fun then just searching the net for lists and wondering how long they'd been posted up.

Jayne.x

Social source share

what you need to understand Beeks is that promoter club nights is totally different compared to northern nights. Northern nights are basically about the music. I'm guessing that many of these young 'uns who go to places like the beat boutique are students given that it's Manchester and couldn't give a toss what the music is really?

Hey Chalks... biggrin.gif

No offence,(and slightly off on a tangent I know), but I think the highlighted comment you made is pretty disrespectful to the younger (possibly student) crowd who attend the likes of Beat Boutique.

Where I live, there are a few similar nights running (Yum Yum and Brighton Beach for example), with a similarly eclectic mix of musical genres and I've attended a few (and shall continue to do so as well as pure Northern dos) with my friends of all ages.

I'd say overall the younger people who attend and who I've spoken to/seen dancing actually do 'give a toss' what they're hearing, to the point where they actively enquire about the music being played and request that tunes are played (be them Northern Soul/ska whatever) ask Rob Glover (promotor/d.j at both the do's I mentioned) or Kylee Lewis (Rugbysoulgirl),she's d.j'd at Yum Yum.A good thing surely?

Gail

Edited by Delasoul
Social source share

I think lack of quality nights is an excuse and interprets to me as 'can't be arsed'. Every taste is catered for in one form or another. There are many dull dj's but there are many many DJ's out there with stunning collections to be heard at venue's all over the country.

Sorry no it means in my opinion there is a lack of quality nights.

As regards Dj's the dullest i've heard in the past few years is Kenny Burrell, a stunning collection of records we've all heard far too often.

C) yep, I'll agree with that one as an issue. It begs the question " how did people travel across the country years ago when travel wasn't so available and many souli'es were kids without cars?" but then I suppose there weren't as many nights on and people went to the same venues more often (wigan, mecca, etc) as it was all that was available to them? (just a guess)..

Jayne.x

In the 80's we either travelled about in hired mini-buses/ coaches or on the trains (anyone remember the persil coupons?)

#

Derek

Social source share

I think its a double edged sword :ohmy: its a fantastic way to advertise you soul do/nighter , especially in these days of dropping numbers and its a fab way of keeping in touch :sleep3: & i LOVE the smilies whistling.gif but records are so accessible , and i think takes the fun out of it a bit , theres nothing better than trawling through box after box hoping to find that one record , there are 100's of pro's & con's , so as usual i fear this will be a long thread laugh.gif so i will go put the kettle on :lol: xxxxxxx

oh indeed!. I remember this debate coming up a few times on various forums.. I'm sure it will again too.. :lol:

Just 1 sugar for me if you're brewing up Di!. :D

Jayne.x

Social source share

In the 80's we either travelled about in hired mini-buses/ coaches or on the trains (anyone remember the persil coupons?)

#

Derek

I know it's going OT but I really can't understand how anyone can say there is a lack of quality nights.... g.gif

Surely everything is catered for!.. what could possibly be missing???..

Jayne.x

Social source share

What you need to understand is that while I might be a relative newcomer to the Rare Soul scene...when it comes to promoting venues I have vast experience running very successful club nights for many years...and filling those nights with people...and the secret to running any music night WHATEVER the genre remains the same...Saturation...whatever medium.

Beeks Old Chum,

"If we keep having to explain it you ain't never gonna understand it" biggrin.gif:sleep3:

Why do we have to understand your experience but you seem resistant to understand ours? whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert