Maxine Brown

Guest Netspeaky

Guest Netspeaky

Just realised that "Let me give you my lovin'" on the Kent Cd The best of is a different cut to the Wand single, no mention on the Cd sleeve notes about it, anybody else noticed it. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just realised that "Let me give you my lovin'" on the Kent Cd The best of is a different cut to the Wand single, no mention on the Cd sleeve notes about it, anybody else noticed it. thumbsup.gif

more info Nets,how is it different?.Lyrically,musically?,,,,Kev :g:

Social source share

Just realised that "Let me give you my lovin'" on the Kent Cd The best of is a different cut to the Wand single, no mention on the Cd sleeve notes about it, anybody else noticed it. :lol:

Yes ... very different to the Wand 45 - and nice!

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Total cock up on my part, I foolishly thought that because they said it was the 45 version it would be! I'm older but much wiser now (in some respects only). We're revamping that CD and will have t'correct one on then. It was nearly 20 years ago, in my defence.

Cheers

Ady

Ady, I seem to recall a couple of beatiful live tracks on the second MB Kend album. Memory fails me on the titles and I assume they were unrleased (?) but have they been put onto any of the CD's?

Social source share

Ady, I seem to recall a couple of beatiful live tracks on the second MB Kend album. Memory fails me on the titles and I assume they were unrleased (?) but have they been put onto any of the CD's?

I forgot about those, there was a whole live concert from Central Perk, I mean Park. Soul Serenade was one of 'em I'll bear them in mind for the new CD which will include one very nice unissued dancer.

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I forgot about those, there was a whole live concert from Central Perk, I mean Park. Soul Serenade was one of 'em I'll bear them in mind for the new CD which will include one very nice unissued dancer.

Found 'em. The live tracks were 'Do it in the name of love' & 'Everybody needs love'. Would love to hear the whole concert.

Edited by Goldwax
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Total cock up on my part, I foolishly thought that because they said it was the 45 version it would be! I'm older but much wiser now (in some respects only). We're revamping that CD and will have t'correct one on then. It was nearly 20 years ago, in my defence.

Cheers

Ady

Ace also used the 'wrong' versions of several Shirelles 45s back in the day, and for much the same reasons. The single mix of "Too Much Of A Good Thing" has never been on CD for a start. While Ady's working on his Maxine revamp, I'm doing the same sort of thing with the Shirelles as part of this ongoing series of "original albums plus bonus tracks" that we're currently two CDs into...

Social source share

Ace also used the 'wrong' versions of several Shirelles 45s back in the day, and for much the same reasons. The single mix of "Too Much Of A Good Thing" has never been on CD for a start. While Ady's working on his Maxine revamp, I'm doing the same sort of thing with the Shirelles as part of this ongoing series of "original albums plus bonus tracks" that we're currently two CDs into...

Ooh Tone I have 2 45s of this and 2 takes of both sides allbeit in mono, I will post em up.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Noticed this myself, i think the Wand 45 recording is far superior, much more oomph! I would guess that when going through the Wand masters, the actual single mix (wand 45) couldn't be found so this mix had to be used instead for the Kent compilation. Do i win £10? :thumbsup:
Totally agree, Wand issue has miles more atmosphere and intensity, having said that this just emphasises how good a record this is cos the CD version is very nice to.

Kev

Social source share

A few tracks on the early Kent albums are different cuts from released versions: Johnny Maestro on Scepter (as discussed before on here an alternative group vocal with radically different harmonies), Theola Kilgore's "This Is My Prayer" (massed choral start before the main song not on the 45), Garland Green's "Ain't That Good Enough" (completely different string arrangement) are just some which spring to mind: there must be others too.

Aside from these treasures the mastering and pressing of the Kent vinyl was so good that lots of tracks sound completely different: Joanie Sommers "Don't Pity Me" sounds breathtaking on the Kent lp, but slightly flat on a 45; somehow the dynamic range of the Kent pressings was such that this is often the best way to hear many of the tracks therein.

The Kent version of Maxine Brown's LMGYML is the one I first heard (being a young whippersnapper) and is as good in its own way as the 45. To me this is still one of the greatest records played in the name of Northern Soul. A truly exquisite record.

Was it a Mecca play first?

Social source share

Tony, is there more than one take of the Shirelles' "Look Away" ?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, is there more than one take of the Shirelles' "Look Away" ?

I'll check my list on Monday - it's on my PC at Ace, and I don't have 'PC anywhere' or anything like that. From memory, I think there are two takes.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert