Curtis Remixed

Mike

Seems that going through a remix phase going by recent releases

The review clipped below sounded interesting, did the 30sec clips on amazon but nothing really grabbed me

anyone heard in full?

to honor his memory, co-executive producers Ron Weisner and Brad LeBeau (along with Mayfield's son Kirk) assembled an all-star team of DJs and producers to radically re-mix Mayfield's hits for today's hip-hop and club music cultures. The resulting 10-track effort Mayfield Remixed: The Curtis Mayfield Collection is an innovative compilation that deserves credit for being a noble and ambitious pursuit. Three of its tracks were drawn from the soundtrack to the 1972 film Superfly, Mayfield's most popular outing. New York City house music DJ Louis Vega souped up and modernized the title tune by adding a Latin percussion bed, while MixMasterMike, formerly of the California turntable-ist crew Invisibl Skratch Piklz, throws a bone to the hip-hop crowd with a scratch-heavy reinterpretation of Pusherman. Unfortunately, Freddie's Dead is given a lackluster house music treatment by the New Jersey production team Blaze.

The best re-invention on Mayfield Remixed: The Curtis Mayfield Collection comes from hip-hop pioneer Grandmaster Flash who takes The Impressions' We're a Winner and re-works it with percussion that was lifted from Washington D.C.'s "go-go" funk scene of the early 1980s. People Get Ready, the other number from The Impressions included on the collection, finds the re-mixer Stonebridge placing a sample of Mayfield's voice over house beats, and the effect is ghostly

https://www.musicbox-online.com/cm-remix.html

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Got the cd.

Superfly remix by Louie Vega is excellent

Little Child Running Wild is also worthwhile.

The rest are not really my thing.

Suggest you acquire a copy from a source other than a major retailer - if you know what I mean :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert