Jimmy Ruffin 1965 - "on The Avenue"

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Chris Clarke does a great version on the Anthology CD.

Ali

Credited as being by The Originals , " OTA " has surfaced in other versions by several other artists ........

" OTA " was " adapted " by The Maisonettes as " Heartache Avenue " . which was a UK chart hit in 1982 on the Ready Steady Go label .........

What is interesting about the record , is that I can remember a press release at the time , clearly stating it their version of a Motown song and homage to the sound , but on the label it is credited as being written by Tibenham & Mason .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Credited as being by The Originals , " OTA " has surfaced in other versions by several other artists ........

" OTA " was " adapted " by The Maisonettes as " Heartache Avenue " . which was a UK chart hit in 1982 on the Ready Steady Go label .........

What is interesting about the record , is that I can remember a press release at the time , clearly stating it their version of a Motown song and homage to the sound , but on the label it is credited as being written by Tibenham & Mason .........

Malc Burton

I think I can throw some light on why that happened. When we had the original tape with the instr version on it we sent it down to Birmingham to have acetates cut of all the decent tracks. The guy who cut them is credited on the Maisonettes. Maybe the producer.. Johnny ?

Whatever, when Maisonettes came out I thought he'd copied the instr but kinda put the melody back to front, if that makes sense.

ROD

Social source share

I think I can throw some light on why that happened. When we had the original tape with the instr version on it we sent it down to Birmingham to have acetates cut of all the decent tracks. The guy who cut them is credited on the Maisonettes. Maybe the producer.. Johnny ?

Whatever, when Maisonettes came out I thought he'd copied the instr but kinda put the melody back to front, if that makes sense.

ROD

Mark Tibbenham and Lol Mason are UK writers and there is no Jobete credit in the publishing, so I can only assume they decided to claim all the credit for themselves!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert