Gwen & Ray - Build Your House

macca

I remember this former monster being booted in the mid 70's.

There's no refo clip on here.

Has it appeared on any KENT compilations & what are originals going for these days.

Great memories of Gwen & Ray.

Reminds me of packed dancefloors & as one of those sounds that used to get applause before

applauding records became common place.

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'll tell you what. This is a RARE record. Incredibly difficult to find in my experience. I had a real one back in the day but only after it got re-issued on Swan and I've never seen another one since. I NEVER see any copies of this around. There was only like one or two copies of it before it was re-issued - Pep and maybe Sam I think, so I think an original of this is probably rarer than most people think. Great record!

Ian D :lol:

Good info, and I agree, great record. I can't remember ever seeing a geuine original for sale!

Social source share

I'll tell you what. This is a RARE record. Incredibly difficult to find in my experience. I had a real one back in the day but only after it got re-issued on Swan and I've never seen another one since. I NEVER see any copies of this around. There was only like one or two copies of it before it was re-issued - Pep and maybe Sam I think, so I think an original of this is probably rarer than most people think. Great record!

Ian D :lol:

yes ian, a big tune back in the day, i had one & i know pep had one! don't see it around at all!!

max..

Social source share

Still got mine even after 25+ years,a bit worn now but ill dig it out and play it today.

I agree with the comments on being a stormer, proper northern soul as some would say.

Toby.

Social source share

Agree with all the comments so far--true northern sound--and one I aint heard for absolute ages. Another few of this ilk are:

Lee david----Temptations calling my name

Johhny Moore---Walk like a man

Have heard these 'reactivated' recently--wouldn't it be nice to hear Gwen and ray again played out again through the big speakers.

Subtle plea from a punter :lol: please Mr DJ................... :D

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

What you on about, reissued on Swan?

Social source share

What you on about, reissued on Swan?

Yep, yer right, complete and utter b*%locks Pete! ph34r.gif

It's cos it's filed next to "The Spy" - The Guys From Uncle and I made an error cos it's a B&W label quite similar to Swan which is next to it.

I've just realised it's a UK boot! On a label called "North". Anyone know where these came from?

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

Yep, yer right, complete and utter b*%locks Pete! :thumbsup:

It's cos it's filed next to "The Spy" - The Guys From Uncle and I made an error cos it's a B&W label quite similar to Swan which is next to it.

I've just realised it's a UK boot! On a label called "North". Anyone know where these came from?

Ian D :P

Take a guess, you'll be right :ohmy:

Social source share

Ian D :ohmy:

About 10/11 years ago a bunch of us got into the back of a Record shop in Baltimore. Wading through the stuff, suddenly Bully shouts 'anyone know this? It's Gwen & Ray on Bee Bee?

The big fella was nearly flattened in the rush - as Tats liberated it from his grasp!

(If you see him... don't tell him what he passed up will ya! :P )

S'true - the Selectadisc Boots were a pretty good copy - but we knew that this was the real deal.

Certainly was a Monster sound back in the day!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Good info, and I agree, great record. I can't remember ever seeing a geuine original for sale!

I distinctly remember it being on the front page of Anderson's weekly list circa '74 or '75 for the enormous sum of £1.75

Like many others around that time I was always on the blower trying to be the first to get through at 08.30 - was well pissed that I didn't get it although chuffed that I got some other goodies as I did most weeks.

Jeez, I wish I'd kept all those old weekly lists, especially the front page with the scarcer stuff on. Even some of the (at that time) commoner stuff on page 3 or 4 for a quid apiece would make a healthy dent in ones pocket now, Celeste Hardie for instance.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Played Gwen & Ray at a gig last year - it virtually cleared the floor :ohmy:

Had the same reception when i played it a Stamford last year.........Poke was the only one who appreciated it...........one of his previous big noises.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

...wouldn't it be nice to hear Gwen and ray again played out again through the big speakers.

Subtle plea from a punter :lol: please Mr DJ................... :)

But it's rare! - your average "Mr. DJ" ain't GOT a copy! :yes:

Love Lee David. In my all-time top 10 for certain. His phrasing on "Temptation.." reminds me a lot of Major Lance. (also, I've often wondered if he could be David LEE, the writer producer on Ann Sexton?)

post-4950-1224632597_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Jeez, I wish I'd kept all those old weekly lists, especially the front page with the scarcer stuff on. Even some of the (at that time) commoner stuff on page 3 or 4 for a quid apiece would make a healthy dent in ones pocket now, Celeste Hardie for instance...

Lee David issues for £2.50, James Fountain @£3... etc. :lol:

Social source share

But it's rare! - your average "Mr. DJ" ain't GOT a copy! :)

Love Lee David. In my all-time top 10 for certain. His phrasing on "Temptation.." reminds me a lot of Major Lance. (also, I've often wondered if he could be David LEE, the writer producer on Ann Sexton?)

post-4950-1224632597_thumb.jpg

I know mate :lol: ----shall have to be looking at the above average Mr DJ's then :lol:

Lee david---could be David lee on the Ann Sexton. Dunno theres not much info on him. Apparently he did a cover of 'gypsy woman' on Bell.

Mind you a mate of mine once said he thought it was 'blue-eyed soul' :yes: So yer never know. Class sound though---wonder if the flip stands up as good---anybody?

Social source share

The camera never lies...

post-1918-1224663115_thumb.png

To be honest I always assumed he was white too, not that it makes any difference - top tune.

Nice one Godzilla-----guess who I have just posted on another thread for best northern soul record by a white artist :):P surely thats the winner. Glad I didn't argue with me mate on this one :D

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I remember this former monster being booted in the mid 70's.

There's no refo clip on here.

Has it appeared on any KENT compilations & what are originals going for these days.

Great memories of Gwen & Ray.

Reminds me of packed dancefloors & as one of those sounds that used to get applause before

applauding records became common place.

I first heard this at the Bradford allnighters (RIP!) and loved it at the time, i still have a copy, how can i tell if its a real one???

Ste.

Social source share

Jeez, I wish I'd kept all those old weekly lists, especially the front page with the scarcer stuff on. Even some of the (at that time) commoner stuff on page 3 or 4 for a quid apiece would make a healthy dent in ones pocket now, Celeste Hardie for instance.

I bought my Celest Hardie in the 70's, £1.50 of a well known list from Melton Mowbray!

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I first heard this at the Bradford allnighters (RIP!) and loved it at the time, i still have a copy, how can i tell if its a real one???

Ste.

P.S. Its stamped BEE 223A in the runout...

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Ste.

Anybody??

Social source share

I bought my Celest Hardie in the 70's, £1.50 of a well known list from Melton Mowbray!

I had 25 copies of Celest Hardie,s to sell back in the 70,s

Started by selling them at £2 each, at the Legion.

By time the Band Club opened in 76 i had a few left and sold them off at 50p each :ohmy:

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Lee David issues for £2.50, James Fountain @£3... etc. :rolleyes:

I remember that as I used to be at work when the list was delivered to home so I had an arrangement where Royal Mail would hold stuff to be picked up at the depot. 6.30 every Thursday morning (think it was Thursday) I'd get my list from the depot. Bike to work, clock on and eagerly try reading the list, marking off what I wanted and getting to the phone for 08.25 so I could continually dial hoping to be the first one to get through.

I think if I were sitting on the settee at night looking through all those old lists the missus would just hear a continual stream of expletives beginning with F mostly. :lol:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I had 25 copies of Celest Hardie,s to sell back in the 70,s

Started by selling them at £2 each, at the Legion.

By time the Band Club opened in 76 i had a few left and sold them off at 50p each :)

Ended up selling 'em at 50p each. I bet those that paid £2 each were pissed off :(

I don't think I could live with myself if I'd done that :rolleyes::lol::yes:

Social source share

If it had been played by Minshull off a UK CBS demo in 1978 it would be considered pop garbage.

No it would not, its an excellent Northern Soul record.

I did not know this post was about Lee David, I thought it was about a price for Gwen And Ray orig and if it came out on Kent!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

No it would not, its an excellent Northern Soul record.

I did not know this post was about Lee David, I thought it was about a price for Gwen And Ray orig and if it came out on Kent!

Why don't you put a sock in it instead of constantly trolling around after me trying to get a sarcy comment in and score a point any time you can, it's pathetic. Everyone else is talking about Lee David, so I talk about it, and it's out of order according to you. So go and put the same comment on everyone else's posts then.

Social source share

Ste.

P.S. Its stamped BEE 223A in the runout...
Anybody??

I would love to be able to help, However I'm not too sure with my copy either.

I am assuming that my copy is counterfeit as I cannot 100% be sure, therefore erring on the side of caution.

It is one of the hardest to tell. I have looked at the Link below,

I have been told to look out for a flat edge or bevel edge, Not sure if the bevel relates to the Label edge or Vinyl edge.

>>> Recently Discussed HERE - The Guides <<<

As John points out, he has discovered 2 Counterfeit / Boot copies.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

OK Roger was waiting for you to post up some pics. I am a technophobe in that department....

Here's my assessment

Boot has darker black printing (heavier ink) (the original has quite light ink on it)

Boot is a slightly darker orange

Boot shows signs of glue creases on label especially around the centre hole

Boot has much narrower run in

BUT the biggest difference

Boot has BEE 223A in run out

Original has BB223A in run out

Hope that helps y'awll.

Steve

Social source share

Why don't you put a sock in it instead of constantly trolling around after me trying to get a sarcy comment in and score a point any time you can, it's pathetic. Everyone else is talking about Lee David, so I talk about it, and it's out of order according to you. So go and put the same comment on everyone else's posts then.

You can't strongly critizise Northern Soul records on a Northern Soul site and not expect some reaction to your comments. I have agreed with you on other topics but not on this.

I'm sorry you feel this way but I'm passionate about the records.

Social source share

You can't strongly critizise Northern Soul records on a Northern Soul site and not expect some reaction to your comments. I have agreed with you on other topics but not on this.

I'm sorry you feel this way but I'm passionate about the records.

Please by all means disagree with my comments, that doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I take offence when you single me out for mentioning Lee David when I was the last one to do so.

But anyway while I'm here, I'll tell you why I don't like it.

It's the girl backing vocalists and the way they pronounce it, like Johnny Rotten or Mark E Smith: "Temptations-a callin my name-a". Well mainly that anyway.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Nice one Godzilla-----guess who I have just posted on another thread for best northern soul record by a white artist g.gif:shades: surely thats the winner. Glad I didn't argue with me mate on this one wicked.gif

But that isn't him, (bloody obviously). The 'Lee David' had at least one other record on Janus which suggests he moved in Soul circles. Was he really white - how utterly awful for him!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

OK Roger was waiting for you to post up some pics. I am a technophobe in that department....

Here's my assessment

Boot has darker black printing (heavier ink) (the original has quite light ink on it)

Boot is a slightly darker orange

Boot shows signs of glue creases on label especially around the centre hole

Boot has much narrower run in

BUT the biggest difference

Boot has BEE 223A in run out

Original has BB223A in run out

Hope that helps y'awll.

Steve

Hi Steve

Many Thanks for the Information.

My copy has BEE 223A in the Run out, Narrow run in, therefore a BOOT.

I had a feeling it might be, but as I stated earlier the shop that it came from did have a high percentage of Originals.

Always helps when you know what to look for, Thanks Again.

Social source share

Hi Steve

Many Thanks for the Information.

My copy has BEE 223A in the Run out, Narrow run in, therefore a BOOT.

I had a feeling it might be, but as I stated earlier the shop that it came from did have a high percentage of Originals.

Always helps when you know what to look for, Thanks Again.

No probs. Just wish I could do all those fancy pictures etc :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert