Kenny

Mal C

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Anybody remember this lot? direct reference in the bottom paragraph, single colum...

Mal :)

They were a Bay City Roller type band who had a couple of hits in 1974/75. The PDF you posted is just lazy journalism where she says that Kenny have gone down well in Northern discos then makes a spurious connection to "the Northern Soul Scene" centred on Wigan and Blackpool. They apparently did well though as the NSS prefers Barry White and the Stylistics !

Interesting though that in the chart that week Under My Thumb is number 14 and also in the top 30 are Goodbye Nothing to Say, Pepper Box and Zing went the Strings !

Edited by stowtime
Social source share

They were a Bay City Roller type band who had a couple of hits in 1974/75. The PDF you posted is just lazy journalism where she says that Kenny have gone down well in Northern discos then makes a spurious connection to "the Northern Soul Scene" centred on Wigan and Blackpool. They apparently did well though as the NSS prefers Barry White and the Stylistics !

Interesting though that in the chart that week Under My Thumb is number 14 and also in the top 30 are Goodbye Nothing to Say, Pepper Box and Zing went the Strings !

Phil Coulter who co wrote all Kenny's hits wrote most BCR hits, 2 Eurovision winners and Cliff's congratulations.

He also (don't let the Credibility Police know) had a hugh record on the Northern Scene in 1976 with Good Thing Going evidence attached (ignore the spelling mistake in the name)

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7y8rNUJ_EO0&...feature=related

Social source share

Anybody remember this lot? direct reference in the bottom paragraph...

Mal :)

This article bears a bit of examination as I see that in the top 10 that week are Hello with their "Glitter Band style" cover of Wigan favourite (Billy Davis?) Tell Him !

That may be "loosely" the most Northern top 30 of all time !

Social source share

"do the bump to the bump" fantastic lyrics dont write em like that nowadays. memories of my sister bopping to this in her bedroom

with the rubettes bay city rollers :)

the rubettes now they were cool with there white berries "sugar baby love" were they soul lovers?

Social source share

"do the bump to the bump" fantastic lyrics dont write em like that nowadays. memories of my sister bopping to this in her bedroom

the rubettes now they were cool with there white berries "sugar baby love" were they soul lovers?

They were actually huge Doo Wop fans and I read recently are still touring and still dress all in white. Preferred the Dooleys myself and this may be "false memory syndrome" but I think Russ played one of theres !

Social source share

Phil Coulter who co wrote all Kenny's hits wrote most BCR hits, 2 Eurovision winners and Cliff's congratulations.

He also (don't let the Credibility Police know) had a hugh record on the Northern Scene in 1976 with Good Thing Going evidence attached (ignore the spelling mistake in the name)

Sorry to nitpick but it was big in 78 not 76

Social source share

Just two questions

How big was your sister's bedroom ?

What the hell was she doing bopping in her bedroom with over a dozen popstars?

Social source share

Just two questions

How big was your sister's bedroom ? BIGGER THAN MINE!!!

What the hell was she doing bopping in her bedroom with over a dozen popstars? HAVING A BOPPING GOOD TIME!!!

[/quote)yes should have worded my post better lol.

Edited by russoul1
Social source share

Sorry to nitpick but it was big in 78 not 76

You are quite right so you deseve the full horror of that week's big sounds !!

19 TIMES OUT OF 10.MURIEL DAY.PAGE ONE.2A GOOD THING GOING.PHIL COULTER.COLUMBIA.3A TOUCH OF VELVET. MOOD MOSAIC.COLUMBIA.4DON'T PITY ME. SUE LYNN.R.C.A. 5WOMAN LOVE THIEF. STEMMONS EXPRESS.WAND.6BLACK POWER.JAMES COIT.PHOOF.7THAT'S NOT LOVE. HOLLY ST.JAMES.A.B.C.8MIGHTY NICE TO KNOW. BOBBY GUITAR WOODS.COLT. * 9YOU'D BETTER BELIEVE IT BABY. JOE TEX.ATLANTIC.10VILLAGE OF TEARS. BEN ZINE.PARKWAY. 11IF YOU LOVED ME. PEGGY MARCH.R.C.A. *12COLORED MAN. TEDDY VANN ORCHESTRA.CAPITOL. *13YOU CAN COUNT ON ME. SAMMY DAVIS.20th CENTURY. 14WHEN WE GET THERE. PAUL ANKA.R.C.A. *15(LOVE) YOU JUST CAN'T WALK AWAY. DEAN COURTNEY.M.G.M.16YOUR LOVE MAKES ME LONELY. CHANDLERS.COL-SOUL. 17TRICK ME TREAT ME. COBBLESTONES.MERCURY.18ALONG COMES MARY. BAJA MARIMBA BAND.A & M.19THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR STOMPIN'. HAPPY CATS.OMACK.20STOP & YOU'LL BECOME AWARE. HELEN SHAPIRO.COLUMBIA.21GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE. BABY DOLLS.HOLLYWOOD.22SAY IT ISN'T SO. BETTY BOO.GRAPEVINE.23LOVE IS WONDERFUL. PAULA PARFITT.BEACON.24GONNA BE A BIG THING. YUM YUMS.A.B.C. PARAMOUNT25EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW. LOU ROBERTS.SOUNDS OF MEMPHIS.26SHE PUT THE HURT ON ME. TRADE MARTIN.STALLION.27I CAN TAKE IT OR LEAVE YOUR LOVIN'. BOBBY WATKINS.C/U. *28YOU WON'T SAY NOTHING. SHARON SCOTT.C/U.29LET'S MAKE LOVE. RONNIE LOVE.ALMERIA.30I'LL DO ANYTHING. KENNY GAMBLE.C/U.

That'll teach ya to nitpick !

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

19 TIMES OUT OF 10.MURIEL DAY.PAGE ONE.2A GOOD THING GOING.PHIL COULTER.COLUMBIA.3A TOUCH OF VELVET. MOOD MOSAIC.COLUMBIA.4DON'T PITY ME. SUE LYNN.R.C.A. 5WOMAN LOVE THIEF. STEMMONS EXPRESS.WAND.6BLACK POWER.JAMES COIT.PHOOF.7THAT'S NOT LOVE. HOLLY ST.JAMES.A.B.C.8MIGHTY NICE TO KNOW. BOBBY GUITAR WOODS.COLT. * 9YOU'D BETTER BELIEVE IT BABY. JOE TEX.ATLANTIC.10VILLAGE OF TEARS. BEN ZINE.PARKWAY. 11IF YOU LOVED ME. PEGGY MARCH.R.C.A. *12COLORED MAN. TEDDY VANN ORCHESTRA.CAPITOL. *13YOU CAN COUNT ON ME. SAMMY DAVIS.20th CENTURY. 14WHEN WE GET THERE. PAUL ANKA.R.C.A. *15(LOVE) YOU JUST CAN'T WALK AWAY. DEAN COURTNEY.M.G.M.16YOUR LOVE MAKES ME LONELY. CHANDLERS.COL-SOUL. 17TRICK ME TREAT ME. COBBLESTONES.MERCURY.18ALONG COMES MARY. BAJA MARIMBA BAND.A & M.19THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR STOMPIN'. HAPPY CATS.OMACK.20STOP & YOU'LL BECOME AWARE. HELEN SHAPIRO.COLUMBIA.21GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE. BABY DOLLS.HOLLYWOOD.22SAY IT ISN'T SO. BETTY BOO.GRAPEVINE.23LOVE IS WONDERFUL. PAULA PARFITT.BEACON.24GONNA BE A BIG THING. YUM YUMS.A.B.C. PARAMOUNT25EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW. LOU ROBERTS.SOUNDS OF MEMPHIS.26SHE PUT THE HURT ON ME. TRADE MARTIN.STALLION.27I CAN TAKE IT OR LEAVE YOUR LOVIN'. BOBBY WATKINS.C/U. *28YOU WON'T SAY NOTHING. SHARON SCOTT.C/U.29LET'S MAKE LOVE. RONNIE LOVE.ALMERIA.30I'LL DO ANYTHING. KENNY GAMBLE.C/U.

BLOODY HELL!!! Have you got a photographic memory or a big anorak with pockets full of notes on what was being played at the time?

Apart from a couple in the list ie Muriel Day Happy cats etc there is some fantastic music there nothing to be horrified about. Certainly a few that still get played out!!

A few id forgotten as well so thanks for the reminder.

As for Kenny and BCR and Gary PEDOlitter they are why some of the reasons i love NS so much.

Rick

Social source share

BLOODY HELL!!! Have you got a photographic memory or a big anorak with pockets full of notes on what was being played at the time?

Apart from a couple in the list ie Muriel Day Happy cats etc there is some fantastic music there nothing to be horrified about. Certainly a few that still get played out!!

A few id forgotten as well so thanks for the reminder.

As for Kenny and BCR and Gary PEDOlitter they are why some of the reasons i love NS so much.

Rick

No special memory or anorack, I just know that google is my friend !

I like mist of the tracks but many would criticise also Teddy Vann, Peggy March, A Touch of Velvet, and more but especially I'll do anything.

Social source share

No special memory or anorack, I just know that google is my friend !

I like mist of the tracks but many would criticise also Teddy Vann, Peggy March, A Touch of Velvet, and more but especially I'll do anything.

I got the listing from this great site https://martins_box.tripod.com/id20.htm but a word of warning - you'll still be reading it in an hour !

Social source share

Guest mel brat

He also (don't let the Credibility Police know) had a hugh record on the Northern Scene in 1976 with Good Thing Going...

Oh, don't worry. The "credibility police" already know! :thumbsup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

One of my all time fave instrumentals.That tune has class.Can't choose between PC and Al de Lory as to which is the most underplayed tune on the planet.

Listen up, when they eventually get sorted out on Mars the real info coming back won't be they have water it will be that they've been playin' Al de Lory all along!

Paul

Social source share

AGHHHHH,

but a record I forgot about in there 8) Bobby guitar woods "Mighty nice to know"

sold many, but haven't got one now, think it was quite good

Anyone got a sound clip please ?

Rob

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert