Windy City - Hey Its Over

Guest Modern Skiptone

Guest Modern Skiptone

Windy City - Hey Its Over/If By Chance (Innovation II) or (Warner Brothers)

Having purchased this record many years ago on Innovation and loved it, I never thought I would see/hear the day, when this record would later take off.

I was always of the understanding that this was played during the famous last hour Mecca sessions???

Is there any difference between the Warner Bros sound and Innovation sound. As I am going off the JM's site WB soundclip and do not have my Innovation copy or a record play to hand at present.

Which one is the first or the original recording, as I have tried to scan the JM Warner Bros copy for a date/year/information ...... but I am now forbidden from doing this :no: .

Anyone shed any light on this - please JM, Sean H, Epic, Ian Dewhirst, Steve Plumb and others etc etc.

Thanks

Nick. :D .

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Windy City - Hey Its Over/If By Chance (Innovation II) or (Warner Brothers)

Having purchased this record many years ago on Innovation and loved it, I never thought I would see/hear the day, when this record would later take off.

I was always of the understanding that this was played during the famous last hour Mecca sessions???

Is there any difference between the Warner Bros sound and Innovation sound. As I am going off the JM's site WB soundclip and do not have my Innovation copy or a record play to hand at present.

Which one is the first or the original recording, as I have tried to scan the JM Warner Bros copy for a date/year/information ...... but I am now forbidden from doing this :no: .

Anyone shed any light on this - please JM, Sean H, Epic, Ian Dewhirst, Steve Plumb and others etc etc.

Thanks

Nick. :D .

i got the wb record recently, i didn't compare closely but i think it's the same recording.

in the ian levine thread someone (I think Sean H) said the wb was first.

singing lead on this is Stevie Robinson, who sang on a few other things (e.g. he sings on that THEM record on hawk). His brother was lead of the stony island band.

Social source share

Hi Nick,

To my knowledge they're identical mate. The WB issue tends to be the rarer of the two.

My copy says INNERVISION rather than INNOVATION - I think they all do actually - but most people list it (and seem to read it) as the latter!

Lovely tune!

:P

Sean

Hi White Knight of Skiptone

Top track finally getting the recognition it deserves!

aye we did discuss this on the IL thread...................innervision/innovation/wb/quadrophonics/wales wallace/windy city etc

think they are the same but we couldn't decide which came first? I'd have thought Inn II followed by WB but i'm not 100%

Poserman - I'm sure my copy is the correct spelling of Innovation BUT will need to check?

t'other one on Inn II by them is great too!

What a great label :lol:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Poserman - I'm sure my copy is the correct spelling of Innovation BUT will need to check?

Cheers

Steve

Yes, please check Steve.

Was up all night talking to Rob Hurcombe about this very issue, earlier this week.

He 'thinks' his says Innovation but I reckon it's actually Innervision and that we all go word blind when faced with a full set of anything.

Cheers matey!

:P

The Poser Man

Social source share

Guest Modern Skiptone

The copy I've got says INNERVISION 11

Thanks -Just returned home,

My label is clearly INNERVISION as well, I am sure I have a Wales Wallace on a gold and blue label stating Innervision ...... but will .......!!!!!!!! :) .

Social source share

Guest Modern Skiptone

Thanks -Just returned home,

My label is clearly INNERVISION as well, I am sure I have a Wales Wallace on a gold and blue label stating Innervision ...... but will .......!!!!!!!! :) .

But Chicago is still my bag........................ biggrin.gif . Still looking.

Social source share

Guest Modern Skiptone

But Chicago is still my bag........................ biggrin.gif . Still looking.

But what the hell is happening with the front page - its not updating.........to much seventies......overload "by heck" I think not....................... :) .

Social source share

Guest Modern Skiptone

But what the hell is happening with the front page - its not updating.........to much seventies......overload "by heck" I think not....................... laugh.gif .

Wales Wallace -BRC .

Social source share

My copy is also on Innervision II

Didn't we discuss this earlier on in the year on Soul Talk Steve?

There's a few releases on the label which use 'Innervision' and others 'Innovation' - but without digging them out I can't remember which is which.

Here's examples of both spellings:

post-5094-1224368522_thumb.jpg

post-5094-1224368551_thumb.jpg

Also If I remember correctly, didn't you say there are some releases on both spellings... or am I just confusing it with the Warner Bros releases? :thumbsup:

Social source share

On another tangent

t'other side of 'Hey Its Over' = 'If By Chance' also came out on WC's '77 Chi Sound LP 'Let Me Ride'.

I presume this is a different version to the 45's being a few years later ?

Cheers

Pat

Incidentally on this LP are 2 great versions of Sam Dees songs - Good Guys Don't Always Win (also on Innovation + other versions) and Fool Or Your Man.

Edited by s7oul
Social source share

On another tangent

t'other side of 'Hey Its Over' = 'If By Chance' also came out on WC's '77 Chi Sound LP 'Let Me Ride'.

Cheers

Pat

Incidentally on this LP are 2 great versions of Sam Dees songs - Good Guys Don't Always Win (also on Innovation + other versions) and Fool Or Your Man.

I just played the LP version and the 45 version and back to back and I'm not sure if they are different recordings or not. But the LP version is a way better mix. The 45 is mixed poorly and pressed at a very low volume because the track is so long. The 45 is actually longer than the LP version, though, almost 6 minutes.

Edited by boba
Social source share

My copy is also on Innervision II

Didn't we discuss this earlier on in the year on Soul Talk Steve?

There's a few releases on the label which use 'Innervision' and others 'Innovation' - but without digging them out I can't remember which is which.

Here's examples of both spellings:

post-5094-1224368522_thumb.jpg

post-5094-1224368551_thumb.jpg

Also If I remember correctly, didn't you say there are some releases on both spellings... or am I just confusing it with the Warner Bros releases? :yes:

Hi John

Oops forgot about this thread and just returned - still haven't checked Innervision or Innovation yet!

We did discuss it earlier but we spoke of the dual releases on WB & Inn II plus the releases that came out with two release #s on Inn II........then some clever Dick came along with this optical illusion Innervision/Innovation thing on the Windy City release......think i said i'd check then too! Still haven't done it yet!!!!!

My head hurts

Steve

Social source share

Hi John

Oops forgot about this thread and just returned - still haven't checked Innervision or Innovation yet!

We did discuss it earlier but we spoke of the dual releases on WB & Inn II plus the releases that came out with two release #s on Inn II........then some clever Dick came along with this optical illusion Innervision/Innovation thing on the Windy City release......think i said i'd check then too! Still haven't done it yet!!!!!

My head hurts

Steve

:yes:

The clever Dick tends to do a lot of proof reading in his particular line of work.

The Devil is in the detail Stevie!

Best:

Pedantic Poser Man

Social source share

On another tangent

Cheers

Pat

Dont forget top tune on the album is the abridged version of ' Windy City Theme '. :lol:

Social source share

:lol:

The clever Dick tends to do a lot of proof reading in his particular line of work.

The Devil is in the detail Stevie!

Best:

Pedantic Poser Man

Yep, just pulled my copy out........and guess what.............'the clever Dick proof reading pedantic poser man' is fookin right (again!)

Hats off fella :lol:

Now all this talk of Inn II made me dig out the Voices article i did in 1990 i.e. Label listing with description of each track. There's a couple of small omissions (like 'Innervision' on above, Howeefeel on Contempo etc) that 'could' have been added originally BUT in the main it still stands up (imho :thumbsup: ) and R & B indies concurs too :D

I think it'll be worth scanning it in, making the small additions and starting a new thread on the whole label? Anyone up for that? Please let me know and i'll get it sorted in the next few days and we can discuss it until our anoraks fall off :lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

Yep, just pulled my copy out........and guess what.............'the clever Dick proof reading pedantic poser man' is fookin right (again!)

Hats off fella :lol:

Now all this talk of Inn II made me dig out the Voices article i did in 1990 i.e. Label listing with description of each track. There's a couple of small omissions (like 'Innervision' on above, Howeefeel on Contempo etc) that 'could' have been added originally BUT in the main it still stands up (imho :thumbsup: ) and R & B indies concurs too :D

I think it'll be worth scanning it in, making the small additions and starting a new thread on the whole label? Anyone up for that? Please let me know and i'll get it sorted in the next few days and we can discuss it until our anoraks fall off :lol::lol::(

Cheers

Steve

Well up for it Steve...

...Great idea...

...But will it be an Innovation or Innervision thread? :lol:

The Clever Dick Proof Reading Pedantic Poser Man

Social source share

Well up for it Steve...

...Great idea...

...But will it be an Innovation or Innervision thread? :lol:

:yes:

The Clever Dick Proof Reading Pedantic Poser Man

Think Warner brothers should have sacked their proof reader for the first release methinks :D

Anyone found any other releases other than the first one (Windy City) with Innervision on the logo or have we agreed that it's just on this release?

Anyone got an Inn II test pressing of Howeefeel...........now that would be something!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Think Warner brothers should have sacked their proof reader for the first release methinks :lol:

Anyone found any other releases other than the first one (Windy City) with Innervision on the logo or have we agreed that it's just on this release?

Anyone got an Inn II test pressing of Howeefeel...........now that would be something!!!!

Cheers

Steve

i think i have another innerversion logo record but i would have to dig them out

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert