Rare Soul From Quivy/ Broadway L.p.s

Guest mobbsy

i have volumes one to five, brilliant tracks including unissued tracks from tony Borders, Bill Brandon June Edwards etc etc issued by charly records in 1989 . Was there a volume six?? And how much are they worth(but will never sell)?????Dont think they sold very well ...Mobbsy

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i have volumes one to five, brilliant tracks including unissued tracks from tony Borders, Bill Brandon June Edwards etc etc issued by charly records in 1989 . Was there a volume six?? And how much are they worth(but will never sell)?????Dont think they sold very well ...Mobbsy

Many brilliant tracks indeed on these 5 volumes. Volume 5 was the last, even though Charly did release another CD compilation with tracks from the LPs and one or two tracks not on the LPs. I think many of the unissued tracks were issued first on Japanese LPs. Currently many of the tracks are available on CDs from Soulscape (Bill Brandon, Tony Borders) and Shout (Don Varner).

Social source share

Many brilliant tracks indeed on these 5 volumes. Volume 5 was the last, even though Charly did release another CD compilation with tracks from the LPs and one or two tracks not on the LPs. I think many of the unissued tracks were issued first on Japanese LPs. Currently many of the tracks are available on CDs from Soulscape (Bill Brandon, Tony Borders) and Shout (Don Varner).

I would be interested to hear about the CD mate, do you have details? (The Charly one not the later ones as have them already)

Also do you still see these albums about, I have 2 or 3 and always thought it would be good to get the others, they were groundbreaking for their day I would say, and some great unissued stuff that deserves an odd play at the right sort of venues (e.g the Orwell!)

Social source share

I would be interested to hear about the CD mate, do you have details? (The Charly one not the later ones as have them already)

Also do you still see these albums about, I have 2 or 3 and always thought it would be good to get the others, they were groundbreaking for their day I would say, and some great unissued stuff that deserves an odd play at the right sort of venues (e.g the Orwell!)

They sold really badly and are in the scheme of things quite rare compared to some of the tosh that gets trotted out every week in the name of rarity. They are excellent albums and I am grateful for the Wood Green store of Our Price for overstocking on them back in the late 80s - meaning I could get them all.

Social source share

I don't have the Charly CD, but remember it contains, e.g., one side of the Percy Sledge Jr 45 on South Camp, which is not on the LPs (probably because it's not very good!) and an unissued track from another artist which is not on the LPs.

post-4944-1224247308_thumb.jpgpost-4944-1224247316_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Does anyone know if the fifth volume was issued on CD by Charly? I've got the 4 first volumes on Charly CDs and they've got 14 tracks each. I assume they were just straight CD issues of the LPs (I only have volume 1 on vinyl so can't compare tracklistings).

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Does anyone know if the fifth volume was issued on CD by Charly? I've got the 4 first volumes on Charly CDs and they've got 14 tracks each. I assume they were just straight CD issues of the LPs (I only have volume 1 on vinyl so can't compare tracklistings).

These CDs (on Overture) are bootlegs, I've also never seen volume 5 on CD.

Social source share

These CDs (on Overture) are bootlegs, I've also never seen volume 5 on CD.

That's right, the Overture CDs are bootlegs.

The five Charly LPs are almost twenty years old now and are difficult to find. Sales were quite poor at the time.

As has been mentioned, the Quinvy / South Camp catalogue has recently been reactivated via the excellent Bill Brandon and Tony Borders albums issued on Soulscape last year.

And Millbrand recently licensed five Quinvy / South Camp tracks to Ace for their essential 3CD collection A Southern Soul Story (KENTBOX 10) which was released this month.

Watch out for a new Quinvy / South Camp compilation early next year.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Many brilliant tracks indeed on these 5 volumes. Volume 5 was the last, even though Charly did release another CD compilation with tracks from the LPs and one or two tracks not on the LPs. I think many of the unissued tracks were issued first on Japanese LPs.

I worked for Charly Records when these were released...indeed I actually compiled the CD in question and sneaked a few tracks onto it that had evaded the LP releases.

The source for these comps wasn't actually Japanese releases. One of the Charly guys (and dare I say the world's #1 expert on James Brown), Cliff White, actually went over to the Broadway Studios (ex Quinvy), met up with Quin Ivy himself and took DAT recordings from the original master tapes. Northern fans (and I know there's a few of you on here!) please note the take we used for Don Varner's 'Tearstained face' is different to the released 45...check out the brass for starters!

But did Quin have any 45's left, I hear you cry...yes a few pieces...and yes I got the copy of 'Tearstained face'.

How did the LPs originally sell...as others have pointed out, not really that well, and indeed the CD didn't fair well at all...dreadful sleeve didn't help at the point of selling in! I still see copies of the LP's over here in Japan, oddly enough...always brings a smile to my face.

:)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The 'other track' on the Charly CD that wasn't on the vinyl - and indeed shouldn't have been on the vinyl, given that it was a Fame recording! - was "Close To Me" by "Unknown Artist", or Dan Penn as he's better known to most of us.

It's the same recording as the one that was issued on Fame 6403 (think that's the number, without having the 45 to hand to check...)

Social source share

The source for these comps wasn't actually Japanese releases. One of the Charly guys (and dare I say the world's #1 expert on James Brown), Cliff White, actually went over to the Broadway Studios (ex Quinvy), met up with Quin Ivy himself and took DAT recordings from the original master tapes.

Thanks for clearing that up. I assumed the Japanese True Sound LPs (Tony Borders / South Camp-Quinvy Revue) issued prior to the Charly LPs already contained unissued tracks, but that's apparently not the case then.

The 'other track' on the Charly CD that wasn't on the vinyl - and indeed shouldn't have been on the vinyl, given that it was a Fame recording! - was "Close To Me" by "Unknown Artist", or Dan Penn as he's better known to most of us.

It's the same recording as the one that was issued on Fame 6403 (think that's the number, without having the 45 to hand to check...)

Wish I had bought the CD as well then! At the time only 2 "new" tracks seemed a bit too few. And the CD didn't include (if I remember correctly) one of the best from the LPs, Al Johnson's "Bless Your Little Sweet Soul".

Watch out for a new Quinvy / South Camp compilation early next year.

Looking forward to that one, with many of the LPs highlights (Brenda Duff, Jimmy Braswell, Al Johnson, Eddie Bradford,...) still not legally reissued on CD.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thanks for clearing that up. I assumed the Japanese True Sound LPs (Tony Borders / South Camp-Quinvy Revue) issued prior to the Charly LPs already contained unissued tracks, but that's apparently not the case then.

Wish I had bought the CD as well then! At the time only 2 "new" tracks seemed a bit too few. And the CD didn't include (if I remember correctly) one of the best from the LPs, Al Johnson's "Bless Your Little Sweet Soul".

Looking forward to that one, with many of the LPs highlights (Brenda Duff, Jimmy Braswell, Al Johnson, Eddie Bradford,...) still not legally reissued on CD.

Al Johnson is on Kent's 3CD set that Paul M. kindly mentioned a few postings back, along with "Rainbow Road", June Edwards' "You Ain't Woman Enough" and others that I'm having problems remembering this side of a cup of coffee at 0412.

"Bless Your Little Sweet Soul" is, IMO, the best record in the whole Quinvy/South Camp catalogue and simply one of the greatest deep soul records of all time. Percy Sledge's version is very good, too, and would be even better if it didn't have to exist in the shadow of Mr. Johnson's unique masterpiece.

Social source share

Al Johnson is on Kent's 3CD set that Paul M. kindly mentioned a few postings back, along with "Rainbow Road", June Edwards' "You Ain't Woman Enough" and others that I'm having problems remembering this side of a cup of coffee at 0412.

"Bless Your Little Sweet Soul" is, IMO, the best record in the whole Quinvy/South Camp catalogue and simply one of the greatest deep soul records of all time. Percy Sledge's version is very good, too, and would be even better if it didn't have to exist in the shadow of Mr. Johnson's unique masterpiece.

That's great news, Al Johnson and others on the Kent 3CD. I see now that "Bless Your Sweet Little Soul" is not even on the Overture bootleg (where it is replaced by a Percy Sledge Jr track).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert