Kenny Bobien Anyone?

Guest familytree

I dj'd that night too :yes:

ahh did you?! then i think i may have pictures of you???... are you small and dark haired???? haha....

identify yourself! x

Social source share

• Replies 163
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I always thought the Loft was a private gig more like a party rather than a fully fledged club, I think you had to be invited to get in? The Shelter was another big influence on the early days of the House seen in the USA & then the world. But Paradise Garage came first which is where the term 'Garage music' first came from. I agree the influence it had was short lived as the other two gatherings took the sound & style and pushed it but ultimately none of it would have happened without the Paradise Garage splitting away from the Chicago sound and leading the way. As far as the 'Soulful House' tag goes in relation to todays output in my opinion it relates to a certian vibe rather than just a vocal leaning. There are many instrumental releases that ooze the same Soulful feel to them but they can't be tagged 'Vocal house' for obvious reasons. Soulful House is it's own animal and has a specific feel and attitude 'Vocal house' can mean anything from Funky House to Trance to Happy Hardcore.

100% correct Nik Mak. As mentioned earlier on in the thread, there HAS to be a prefix to describe the style of House music it is. The term 'House' could refer to a hundred different styles these days, 'Hard House, Funky House, Vocal House, Electro House, progressive House, Deep House, Tech House, and so on. The more 'Soulful' house styles are Garage, Soulful House, Deep House and Gospel House. There are so many artistes that fit into these catagories, Kenny Bobien, Masters at work, CeCe Rogers, Frankie Knuckles, SuSu Bobien, Kim English, Barbara Tucker, Dawn Tallman and literally 100s of others. and one of the best Soulful House voices without a doubt, 'Robert Owens'

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

ahh did you?! then i think i may have pictures of you???... are you small and dark haired???? haha....

identify yourself! x

hahaha you couldn't get more opposite!

Social source share

Guest familytree

I dj'd that night too :yes:

just followed your myspace link and your not small :no: but i do have a pic of you with terry behind the decks.. hi! x

Social source share

100% correct Nik Mak. As mentioned earlier on in the thread, there HAS to be a prefix to describe the style of House music it is. The term 'House' could refer to a hundred different styles these days, 'Hard House, Funky House, Vocal House, Electro House, progressive House, Deep House, Tech House, and so on. The more 'Soulful' house styles are Garage, Soulful House, Deep House and Gospel House. There are so many artistes that fit into these catagories, Kenny Bobien, Masters at work, CeCe Rogers, Frankie Knuckles, SuSu Bobien, Kim English, Barbara Tucker, Dawn Tallman and literally 100s of others. and one of the best Soulful House voices without a doubt, 'Robert Owens'

Have you read the last page :yes:

Social source share

A brilliant read charting the history of The Warehouse, Paradise Garage etc

is Tim Lawrence book 'Love Saves The Day - A History of American Dance Music Culture, 1970 - 1979'. Pub by

Duke University Press 2003. Tim also hosts UK parties for David Mancuso - a pivotal figuire in the New York scene.

Best

Dr Bob Jones

Social source share

hi Barry! long time, its Lorna here.. (kevin birchalls BETTER half) hows you x your nights still goin? last time i saw you was there when you had Terry on... twas fun!

love x

Hiya love - fine thanks, I've not done an OHS for about a year (got sick of the slog and money-losing ha ha) but we are re-surfacing in Liverpool in the New Year.

Love to Kev for me if you would, I take it he's still not lying down wit t'paper and t'slippers. :lol:

Just to keep the age thing in perspective and as not to make it look like Kev is the only one getting on - when we dropped Terry off at the hotel at 6.15am that morning, poor old Paddy from Skipton slipped off the coach and gave himself a hernia - it'd never of happened when we were kids.

Social source share

Guest familytree

Hiya love - fine thanks, I've not done an OHS for about a year (got sick of the slog and money-losing ha ha) but we are re-surfacing in Liverpool in the New Year.

Love to Kev for me if you would, I take it he's still not lying down wit t'paper and t'slippers. :rolleyes:

Just to keep the age thing in perspective and as not to make it look like Kev is the only one getting on - when we dropped Terry off at the hotel at 6.15am that morning, poor old Paddy from Skipton slipped off the coach and gave himself a hernia - it'd never of happened when we were kids.

good to hear form you barry, passed on your love to k and he sends it right back... not many peo0ple he likes or respects but you are one of them.. ha (honoured!)

pipe and slippers??... i wish he bloody would, hes a grumpy old git if that qualifys??

hey will look forward to your new venture in liverpool... we have a new one too in the new year in manchester... my nephew opening a brand new club! kevin is his advisor and they are both in the midst of big plans.. oh and another trip to n.y to finalise the plans for the sound system any excuse!) so were all very excited about it.... keep you posted

i dont think i could have a hernia at any age could i??? :lol: but i will try next time im out.. sounds fun!

it was a great night when we came... and loved the late finish... shame its ended but understand we cant keep funding these things for ever..heres to success in Liverpool! x

love xx

Social source share

good to hear form you barry, passed on your love to k and he sends it right back... not many peo0ple he likes or respects but you are one of them.. ha (honoured!)

pipe and slippers??... i wish he bloody would, hes a grumpy old git if that qualifys??

hey will look forward to your new venture in liverpool... we have a new one too in the new year in manchester... my nephew opening a brand new club! kevin is his advisor and they are both in the midst of big plans.. oh and another trip to n.y to finalise the plans for the sound system any excuse!) so were all very excited about it.... keep you posted

i dont think i could have a hernia at any age could i??? :lol: but i will try next time im out.. sounds fun!

it was a great night when we came... and loved the late finish... shame its ended but understand we cant keep funding these things for ever..heres to success in Liverpool! x

love xx

Same old, same old then (I knew it would be really love :thumbsup: ).

Yeah, please keep in touch and abreast of your's and 'Darlings' antics - me boards back up if you need to catch me.

Oh! And I'd leave the hernia bit, it's a no-no.

Social source share

Which part of the last page are you refering to?

The bit about Garage being a complete misnomer and Mik Mak not knowing what he's on about. :rolleyes:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert