Kenny Bobien Anyone?

Guest Nik Mak

Yes and I remember Tont Hayzer doing what he called a "Soulful house" show when he followed me on Soul 24-7 Friday nights. That was a few years ago now.

Just to labour the point a bit more and as this thread started out about Kenny Bobien here is a record that underlines what I mean by Soulful House being it's own animal and more than worthy of it's own Tag or genre'. 280 West 'Scattered Dreams' Kaledia Scope. Totally Soulful and uplifting & not surprising when you see it's Kenny Bobien on lead vocals but as he doesn't actually sing any words but scats over the whole record it can't be called vocal house in the strictest sense? More up to date examples would be tunes such as DJ TECHNICS 'Chant of the Kariboo' Code Red. or JULIEN JABRE 'Swimming places' Defected. To me these tunes ARE as soulful as any of the records listed in this thread but they arn't straight vocal house so should we create yet another sub genre to cover these great peices of dance music. To me 'SOULFUL HOUSE' says it all.

Social source share

• Replies 163
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Nick Harrison

Ha Ha!!!! so very sad that this has to be on a soul, yes rare soul forum.

For those's like myself this topic has no place on here.......why be answerable for toones that are 15 years old. Having been disillussioned with EMS and reading shit on here ..............is there a site for modern world new releases. Very sad reading :thumbup::) .

Nick.

Social source share

For those's like myself this topic has no place on here.......why be answerable for toones that are 15 years old. Having been disillussioned with EMS and reading shit on here ..............is there a site for modern world new releases. Very sad reading :thumbup::) .

Nick.

Expand please. . . .not sure I am following you. UR upset because we are not talking about 2008 releases like Marc Evans - (an awesome 12" btw)? Or not talking about southern soul indie CD tracks? Or new Maysa type things?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Nick.

Err, why do you bother reading it then? There is enough threads on here, no? So sorry to upset you though.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

For those's like myself this topic has no place on here.......why be answerable for toones that are 15 years old. Having been disillussioned with EMS and reading shit on here ..............is there a site for modern world new releases. Very sad reading :):yes: .

Nick.

Totally miss your point? Most of the tunes listed on this thread are only a few years old,and the artists (Kenny Bobien etc etc) are still releasing great Soul music now. Where did the 15 years come from? 'Modern World' what does that mean? :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Expand please. . . .not sure I am following you. UR upset because we are not talking about 2008 releases like Marc Evans - (an awesome 12" btw)? Or not talking about southern soul indie CD tracks? Or new Maysa type things?

No neither.......its so old OHS.

Social source share

The Soulful bit is important because most people assume House music to be as hard as nails. Back in the day the term 'Garage' came from the music played at the Paradise Garage club in new York. Which was vocal led & mostly came out of New Jersey. The term 'House' music came out of the Warehouse in Chicago which lent more towards instrumental tougher edged stuff. When the uk scene stole the 'Garage' term it made sense to lable the vocal led house trax with 'Soulful' then atleast punters would know what they we're going to get from a certain night or event. The two areas are definetly different and warrent the different tags. IMHO.

To be pedantic the stuff we were playing late 80's early 90's (Adeva, Blaze etc etc) came from Tony Humphries and the Zanzibar in New Jersey.. Levan played allsorts of stuff inc Heaven 17, Kraftwerk and other synth pop and Italo disco records. It was Humphries that championed the more Gospel vocal side of things.

Also originaly the music coming from the Warehouse was the same as Leven was playing in NY. That and Knuckles re-edits. It was Ron Hardy at the Music Box (Knuckles moved the Warehouse to another club and Hardy took over at the now revamped Music box) Hardy played the new music that was a mixture of Kraftwerk, synth pop and Disco fused together to make the sound of House music. It was also the birth place of Acid House named after Dj Pierrie's Acid Trax.

Ahh Steve those late Friday nights on 24-7.. The abuse i used to recieve on the forums for playing House hahahaha.

I used to get quite a few US dj's listen in too.. Terry Hunter, Halo and the staff at Large recs Chicago. They were good times as we were amongst the first doing that on the net. Now anyone can have a go.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Totally miss your point? Most of the tunes listed on this thread are only a few years old,and the artists (Kenny Bobien etc etc) are still releasing great Soul music now. Where did the 15 years come from? 'Modern World' what does that mean? huh.gif

Piss off - your modern world - my old world - listening to Micheal Watford at Hard Times - Mirfield, mid 90's. :thumbup::):yes: . Up yer ronson.... :D .

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

To be pedantic the stuff we were playing late 80's early 90's (Adeva, Blaze etc etc) came from Tony Humphries and the Zanzibar in New Jersey.. Levan played allsorts of stuff inc Heaven 17, Kraftwerk and other synth pop and Italo disco records. It was Humphries that championed the more Gospel vocal side of things.

Also originaly the music coming from the Warehouse was the same as Leven was playing in NY. That and Knuckles re-edits. It was Ron Hardy at the Music Box (Knuckles moved the Warehouse to another club and Hardy took over at the now revamped Music box) Hardy played the new music that was a mixture of Kraftwerk, synth pop and Disco fused together to make the sound of House music. It was also the birth place of Acid House named after Dj Pierrie's Acid Trax.

Ahh Steve those late Friday nights on 24-7.. The abuse i used to recieve on the forums for playing House hahahaha.

I used to get quite a few US dj's listen in too.. Terry Hunter, Halo and the staff at Large recs Chicago. They were good times as we were amongst the first doing that on the net. Now anyone can have a go.

I thought Zanzibar came after the Paradise Garage? & the Music box came after the Warehouse. In 88 I was living in Miami and the music coming down to us thru the Miami DJ pool had the label 'Garage' because of the association with the club. Your dead right about the british stuff being played but I understood there was a definet split into two different camps where the two tags originated. So are you saying that the name 'Garage' had nothing to do with the Paradise Garage and the term 'House' had nothing to do with the Warehouse?

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

or MOS 91 :thumbup:

Yes that's true Souljihad - and I was there - but Micheal Watford did not record till later................. :) Milk bar regular and Rampling follower.

Social source share

Thing is after the mid 90s it all went downhill with house. there are a few good ones around but they might be too "deep" for people on here. (parrish, delsin stuff, jovonn, andres etc) can't stand all this brasil influenced crap nowadays..defected label is horrid! I stick to the oldschool.

Social source share

Hi Kev will get on it in the next few days and list as many as I've got (LOADS!) :)

Nik

Much appreciated me old cocker. I must have quite a few 12" feat Mr Bobien. love the stuff with Moses and kenny's version of Why I Sing.

Not come across an album of his yet. Do they exist?

Cheers Kev

P.S. Mr Harrison. I don't go onto the rare soul threads and slag it all off. I try to contribute. I suggest you put your head back in the sand or if rare soul only is your thing. Stick to reading those threads.

Have a nice day. :thumbup:

Kev

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Piss off - your modern world - my old world - listening to Micheal Watford at Hard Times - Mirfield, mid 90's. :thumbup::):yes: . Up yer ronson.... :D .

What the f*** are you talking about? You think That hard times was the first place to play the stuff or the Ministry? So that makes you Alpha male? Still don't get what your trying to say. If this is old hat to you why the f*** are you even bothering to read it.

Social source share

Nik

Much appreciated me old cocker. I must have quite a few 12" feat Mr Bobien. love the stuff with Moses and kenny's version of Why I Sing.

Cheers Kev

P.S. Mr Harrison. I don't go onto the rare soul threads and slag it all off. I try to contribute. I suggest you put your head back in the sand or if rare soul only is your thing. Stick to reading those threads.

Kev

Am-en brother :) btw I'm spending as much time in the rare Soul sections. And oh lord we got an RnB thread too, tut tut. :yes:

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Nik

Cheers Kev

Kev

Hi Kev never seen an album by Mr Bobien which is a real disgrace if you think about it. If anyone deserves an album it's Kenny Bobien. I'll get on that list in the morning.

Atb...

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Yes that's true Souljihad - and I was there - but Micheal Watford did not record till later................. :) Milk bar regular and Rampling follower.

Rampling Follower eh? Says it all really. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

For those's like myself this topic has no place on here.......

Nick.

i'm enjoying it so in all honesty couldn't give a rat's ass whether you think it has a place ...... or not :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Thing is after the mid 90s it all went downhill with house. there are a few good ones around but they might be too "deep" for people on here. (parrish, delsin stuff, jovonn, andres etc) can't stand all this brasil influenced crap nowadays..defected label is horrid! I stick to the oldschool.

Can't agree there Miss Schmidt. There are loads & loads of superb house records that stand up to the old school classics. Marie St James 'CLOSER I GET' YORUBA./ SOUL'DOUBT 'WITHOUT YOU' NYC CLASSICS /MAMBO URBANO ORCHESTRA 'DEVOTION' JINX/ COLONEL ABRAMS 'DON'T GIVE ME A LOVE THAT I CAN'T USE' K.SIRRAH/ MR DAY 'SOUL ON WAX' ROTAX/ KIMERA LOVELACE 'FAR AWAY' KINGSTREET(New release). These are just a few you just got to dig deeper. As for Defected being Horrid I'll admit they have a tendency to lean towards the more tougher stuff but they did release The Motherfunkaz 'The way you love me' which has to rate way up there with the best of them.

atb...

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

You'll need one of these :)

post-4568-1224540053_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mark R

Thanks Mark. Couldn't beleive he didn't have an album somewhere. Don't collect LP's so never looked for one. Gonna check this out tho'

:thumbup:

Social source share

Hi Kev never seen an album by Mr Bobien which is a real disgrace if you think about it. If anyone deserves an album it's Kenny Bobien. I'll get on that list in the morning.

Atb...

post-13983-1224540174_thumb.jpg

Ta Nik-Must say I hold Kenny Bobien in the same regard as Mike Terry :) (and I wear his t-shirt to bed). When I first came across his records about 4 years ago-first one must have been 'Rise above the Storm' -I've collected everything of his I've seen. If one voice-style-or whatever you want to call it captures what 'soulful house' is IMHO it is Kenny Bobien.

When I first realized that Mike Terry had been a part of most of the music that has entertained and inspired me throught the last 35 years I felt mighty proud to be part of his appreciation society.... if you will. Also when I first realized Kenny Bobien was out there making his mark on soul/gospel/dance music I found out I had another hero to cherish. Makes sense doesn't it! :thumbup:

Kev

Social source share

Atb...

Nik, album as follows, with the incredible "See you again"...

R-150-293684-1097367142.jpg

more imagesLabel:Soundmen On Wax Catalog#:SOW 411CD Format:CD, Compilation

Country:USReleased:2000Genre:Electronic Style:Garage House Credits:Engineer - Jim "Bonzai" Caruso (tracks: 3, 4)

Executive Producer - Shuji Hirose

Mastered By - Duncan Stanbury (tracks: 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11) , Nutopia (tracks: 1, 6, 9) , Shuji Hirose (tracks: 1, 6, 9)

Producer - Big Moses (tracks: 1, 5, 6, 8, 10) , Kenny Bobien (tracks: 1 to 3, 5 to 11)

Written-By - Kenny Bobien (tracks: 1, 3, 6, 7, 9 to 11) Notes:01. Blessed

Recorded at D.M.L Studios, East Orange, NJ. Mastering For Soundmen On Wax at Frankford & Wayne Mastering Labs. Published By: Paradoc Dream ASCAP/Off The Top ASCAP/Shery Rock Music ASCAP.

02. Set Them Free

Produced By Kenny Bobien for Kentertainment Inc, Derrick Jenkins, Stephen Wilson, Dwayne "Spen" Richardson For Backroom Productions. Recorded & Mixed At Perfect Pair Studios, East Orange, NJ. Mastering By Duncan Stanbury For Frankford & Wayne Mastring Lab. Published By Magnetic LTD.

03. How I Feel

Produced By Kenny Bobien & Basement Boys For Basement Boys Prod. & Kentertainment Inc. Recorded & Mixed At Basement Boys Studios, Baltimore, MD. Mastering For SOW At Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab. Published By Basement Boys Music ASCAP/Sheny Rock Music ASCAP/Paradoc Dream ASCAP.

04. Let Me Show You

Produced for B.O.P. Entertainment. Published By Off The Top ASCAP/Bay House Music ASCAP/Caruso Bays House ASCAP/Paradoc Dream ASCAP/Basement Boys Music ASCAP. Recorded & Mixed At Surround Sounds Studios, Irvington NJ. Production & Remix By DJ Spen For Basement Boys Prod. Mastering For Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab.

05. Can't Give You Anything

Produced For Kentertainment Inc. Recorded & Mixed At DML Studios, East Orange, NJ. Mastering For Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab.

06. Father

Produced For Kentertainment Inc. Recorded At DML Studios, Eadt Orange, NJ. Mastering For SOW At Frankford & Wayne Mastering Labs. Published By: Paradoc Dream ASCAP/Off The Top ASCAP/Shery Rock Music ASCAP.

07. Another Day

Produced For Kentertainment Inc. Recorded & Remixed At Baseroom Studios, Brooklyn, NY. Mastering By Duncan Stanbury For Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab. Published By Off The Top ASCAP/Von Tonchic Publishing/Paradoc Dream ASCAP.

08. Superficial People

Produced For Kentertainment INC. Recorded At D.M.L Studios, East Orange, NJ. Mastering For Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab.

09. Reach

Produced By Kenny Bobien For Kentertainment Inc And Kerri Chandler For Kriptix Prod. Published By Off The Top ASCAP/Champion Music ASCAP/Paradoc Dream ASCAP. Recorded At Base Monster Studio. Mastering By Shuji Hirose And Nutopia For SOW At Frankford & Wayne Mastering Labs.

10. Dance For Life

Produced For Kentertainment Inc. Recorded at Sumplex Studios, Montclair, NJ. Published By: Paradoc Dream ASCAP/Off The Top ASCAP/Shery Rock Music ASCAP.

11. See You Again

Produced For B.O.P. Entertainment. Published By Off The Top ASCAP/Bay House Music ASCAP. Recorded & Mixed At Surround Sounds Studios, Irvington NJ. Mastering For Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab.

Social source share

Can't agree there Miss Schmidt. There are loads & loads of superb house records that stand up to the old school classics. Marie St James 'CLOSER I GET' YORUBA./ SOUL'DOUBT 'WITHOUT YOU' NYC CLASSICS /MAMBO URBANO ORCHESTRA 'DEVOTION' JINX/ COLONEL ABRAMS 'DON'T GIVE ME A LOVE THAT I CAN'T USE' K.SIRRAH/ MR DAY 'SOUL ON WAX' ROTAX/ KIMERA LOVELACE 'FAR AWAY' KINGSTREET(New release). These are just a few you just got to dig deeper. As for Defected being Horrid I'll admit they have a tendency to lean towards the more tougher stuff but they did release The Motherfunkaz 'The way you love me' which has to rate way up there with the best of them.

atb...

I know my shit and I know I don't like newer releases. Too commercial sounding for me. King Street used to be a great label but I don't like it anymore. Yoruba/Osunlade is alright with some releases but mostly i don't like them. Different strokes for different folks (...whatever makes uuuuu happyyy-ten city)

I dig Carl Craig. :thumbup:

Social source share

A brilliant read charting the history of The Warehouse, Paradise Garage etc

is Tim Lawrence book 'Love Saves The Day - A History of American Dance Music Culture, 1970 - 1979'. Pub by

Duke University Press 2003. Tim also hosts UK parties for David Mancuso - a pivotal figuire in the New York scene.

Best

Dr Bob Jones

Hi Bob, hope you are well, Tim was supposed to be doing Volume II, covering the '80's/early '90's...would love to see that some day...

Social source share

atb...

Must agree there...for me (although I'd followed modern rooms on and off since hearing Richard S et al.on Saturday nights at Wigan playing lots of new releases and many a time to an emptyish hall circa 78/79. lots of time spent in modern rooms...it got decidedly better in the 90's through to now. Teddy Pendergrass-Believe in love-the good Su Su stuff-Takin you Back-James Radcliff +Urban Groove-rasmus faber+Mello Divided/United-Michelle Weeks-Sara Divine-Special-salted productions with Chuck Love...the list goes on and on-I used to feel let down by a lot of 'garage' music in the late as I found the loops too contrived and boring -but hey presto somehow the productions got better with Mr Knuckles and Drizabone etc...it all began to fit.

And the world is better. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

post-13983-1224540174_thumb.jpg

Ta Nik-Must say I hold Kenny Bobien in the same regard as Mike Terry :) (and I wear his t-shirt to bed). When I first came across his records about 4 years ago-first one must have been 'Rise above the Storm' -I've collected everything of his I've seen. If one voice-style-or whatever you want to call it captures what 'soulful house' is IMHO it is Kenny Bobien.

When I first realized that Mike Terry had been a part of most of the music that has entertained and inspired me throught the last 35 years I felt mighty proud to be part of his appreciation society.... if you will. Also when I first realized Kenny Bobien was out there making his mark on soul/gospel/dance music I found out I had another hero to cherish. Makes sense doesn't it! :thumbup:

Kev

You probably know these all ready but without trying to teach you to suck eggs here's a few more artists that you should check out.

Ce Ce Rogers/Michelle Weeks/Ann Nesby/Kim English/ Sterling Ensemble/ Stephanie Cooke/ Byron Stingily. The list goes on. All have made a huge contrabution to the Soulful House seen over the years.

Social source share

Guest familytree

not sure Im qualifyed enough to get into this topic ( Im new on here for one so go easy on me please! x ) but i think as far as where the term 'garage' came from it was norman (Jay) who coined that, saying at the time, this is the type of music that would have been played at the garage if it were still open... we used to have him on at nights we did in the north (well before his knighthood!) and at that time we labelled it 'club R&B' on our flyers because it had no name as such.

Zanzibar did open just after P.G( i have the original art work for it! :thumbup: ace mungin (acebeat music) just used to call it 'club' music when he was there....

interesting thread... a pleasant suprise!

Social source share

Nik, album as follows, with the incredible "See you again"...

R-150-293684-1097367142.jpg

more imagesLabel:Soundmen On Wax Catalog#:SOW 411CD Format:CD, Compilation

Country:USReleased:2000Genre:Electronic Style:Garage House Credits:Engineer - Jim "Bonzai" Caruso (tracks: 3, 4)

Executive Producer - Shuji Hirose

Mastered By - Duncan Stanbury (tracks: 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11) , Nutopia (tracks: 1, 6, 9) , Shuji Hirose (tracks: 1, 6, 9)

Producer - Big Moses (tracks: 1, 5, 6, 8, 10) , Kenny Bobien (tracks: 1 to 3, 5 to 11)

Written-By - Kenny Bobien (tracks: 1, 3, 6, 7, 9 to 11) Notes:01. Blessed

Recorded at D.M.L Studios, East Orange, NJ. Mastering For Soundmen On Wax at Frankford & Wayne Mastering Labs. Published By: Paradoc Dream ASCAP/Off The Top ASCAP/Shery Rock Music ASCAP.

02. Set Them Free

Produced By Kenny Bobien for Kentertainment Inc, Derrick Jenkins, Stephen Wilson, Dwayne "Spen" Richardson For Backroom Productions. Recorded & Mixed At Perfect Pair Studios, East Orange, NJ. Mastering By Duncan Stanbury For Frankford & Wayne Mastring Lab. Published By Magnetic LTD.

03. How I Feel

Produced By Kenny Bobien & Basement Boys For Basement Boys Prod. & Kentertainment Inc. Recorded & Mixed At Basement Boys Studios, Baltimore, MD. Mastering For SOW At Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab. Published By Basement Boys Music ASCAP/Sheny Rock Music ASCAP/Paradoc Dream ASCAP.

04. Let Me Show You

Produced for B.O.P. Entertainment. Published By Off The Top ASCAP/Bay House Music ASCAP/Caruso Bays House ASCAP/Paradoc Dream ASCAP/Basement Boys Music ASCAP. Recorded & Mixed At Surround Sounds Studios, Irvington NJ. Production & Remix By DJ Spen For Basement Boys Prod. Mastering For Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab.

05. Can't Give You Anything

Produced For Kentertainment Inc. Recorded & Mixed At DML Studios, East Orange, NJ. Mastering For Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab.

06. Father

Produced For Kentertainment Inc. Recorded At DML Studios, Eadt Orange, NJ. Mastering For SOW At Frankford & Wayne Mastering Labs. Published By: Paradoc Dream ASCAP/Off The Top ASCAP/Shery Rock Music ASCAP.

07. Another Day

Produced For Kentertainment Inc. Recorded & Remixed At Baseroom Studios, Brooklyn, NY. Mastering By Duncan Stanbury For Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab. Published By Off The Top ASCAP/Von Tonchic Publishing/Paradoc Dream ASCAP.

08. Superficial People

Produced For Kentertainment INC. Recorded At D.M.L Studios, East Orange, NJ. Mastering For Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab.

09. Reach

Produced By Kenny Bobien For Kentertainment Inc And Kerri Chandler For Kriptix Prod. Published By Off The Top ASCAP/Champion Music ASCAP/Paradoc Dream ASCAP. Recorded At Base Monster Studio. Mastering By Shuji Hirose And Nutopia For SOW At Frankford & Wayne Mastering Labs.

10. Dance For Life

Produced For Kentertainment Inc. Recorded at Sumplex Studios, Montclair, NJ. Published By: Paradoc Dream ASCAP/Off The Top ASCAP/Shery Rock Music ASCAP.

11. See You Again

Produced For B.O.P. Entertainment. Published By Off The Top ASCAP/Bay House Music ASCAP. Recorded & Mixed At Surround Sounds Studios, Irvington NJ. Mastering For Frankford & Wayne Mastering Lab.

thanks for that Robin

Kev :thumbup:

Social source share

not sure Im qualifyed enough to get into this topic ( Im new on here for one so go easy on me please! x ) but i think as far as where the term 'garage' came from it was norman (Jay) who coined that, saying at the time, this is the type of music that would have been played at the garage if it were still open... we used to have him on at nights we did in the north (well before his knighthood!) and at that time we labelled it 'club R&B' on our flyers because it had no name as such.

Zanzibar did open just after P.G( i have the original art work for it! :thumbup: ace mungin (acebeat music) just used to call it 'club' music when he was there....

No no, Garage is a term created in the USA . They called it Garage whilst the Paradise Garage was still open...Norman Jay creating the term Garage?? That would be going a bit far. haha

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

I know my shit and I know I don't like newer releases. Too commercial sounding for me. King Street used to be a great label but I don't like it anymore. Yoruba/Osunlade is alright with some releases but mostly i don't like them. Different strokes for different folks (...whatever makes uuuuu happyyy-ten city)

I dig Carl Craig. :thumbup:

AAAhhh now I get where your coming from. I respect what your saying if it don't float your boat then no problem. I've just spent the last three months listening to most of my back catologue of House records from @ 89 to 98 just to see what I can play now and there are loads of old school joints Ive dug out to spin. There ain't nothing wrong with a bit of old school magic.

Social source share

Zanzibar did open just after P.G( i have the original art work for it! :) ace mungin (acebeat music) just used to call it 'club' music when he was there....

Nice to have you onboard familytree.

I'm sure your contribution will be welcomed.

I say garage coz I used to go to a place called Garage City in Nine Elms London near Vauxhall Bridge. The music although vocally ok left me wanting as the Vocals were all looped. I used to think.......why on earth don't they let em sing with gorgeous voices like that. I know it was the production style but at the time I always thought it might have something to do with copywrite law.

Used to know Norman Jay well-Dj'd with hiom at a few Shake & Finger Pop/Family Function do's with him around South London in the 80's. Plays regular now at Plan B in Brixton. With DJ Spen and the like.

Kev :thumbup:

Social source share

[

A ideal niter for me would be quality rare up-tempo Northern in one room/Modern and Soulful house in the other. Unfortunatly i don't know of anywhere like this at the moment! Anyone know different?

King Georges Stoke - Modern Room THIS SATURDAY! :thumbup:

Prestatyn Weekender can be like that in parts when you hit a lucky streak. :)

Social source share

Guest familytree

No no, Garage is a term created in the USA . They called it Garage whilst the Paradise Garage was still open...Norman Jay creating the term Garage?? That would be going a bit far. haha

perhaps i hav'nt explained myself well.... but when we went to P.G they had no name as such for the music they were playing.. it was a mixed bag and when we spoke to people there they would say 'oh your into this R&B music' when we reacted to music being we liked.. (which is why we used that term on our flyers when we got home). when i say norman coined the fraze i dont mean invented it but used it for what we were playing in the U.K at the time saying 'this is what they would have been playing at paradise if it were still open' they still didnt have a name for it at Zanzibar either and friends who ran it would just call it 'club music' so as far as its use for a genre, in england at least, my memory takes me back to Norman labelling what we were playing as 'garage' in respect for the club.

will look into it though and make a few calls, I do have a shocking memory! lol

Social source share

perhaps i hav'nt explained myself well.... but when we went to P.G they had no name as such for the music they were playing.. it was a mixed bag and when we spoke to people there they would say 'oh your into this R&B music' when we reacted to music being we liked.. (which is why we used that term on our flyers when we got home). when i say norman coined the fraze i dont mean invented it but used it for what we were playing in the U.K at the time saying 'this is what they would have been playing at paradise if it were still open' they still didnt have a name for it at Zanzibar either and friends who ran it would just call it 'club music' so as far as its use for a genre, in england at least, my memory takes me back to Norman labelling what we were playing as 'garage' in respect for the club.

will look into it though and make a few calls, I do have a shocking memory! lol

Ah ok. Still can't really imagine that they started calling it Garage in the UK and not in the USA. Never heard that before..English people can't even say "Garage" properly hahaha :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest familytree

Thanks for the welcome Kev... we must have met?? lots of the same haunts back in the day ha, small world indeed!

bit daunting commenting in here, you guys know your stuff... starting out at wigan myself i always thought that if a natural healthy progression followed or was allowed(and it was still open!) then 'soulful house/garage/dance would have been played at wigan today!... has all the elements, the little independant labels for the collectors.. fab lyrics etc.... shall i sign off quickly before Im put in my place?!

tee hee x

Social source share

Ah ok. Still can't really imagine that they started calling it Garage in the UK and not in the USA. Never heard that before..English people can't even say "Garage" properly hahaha :thumbsup:

It's easy to say garage

GARIDGE-see it's easy.

I was always aware that garage had come from paradise garage. So I presume they would have used the term in USA. Maybe?

Anyone here actually went to Paradise Garage?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert