Usa Today Says Linda Jones! Greatest Soul Singer

Guest lena

It's great that USA Today can run a feature on a great singer like Linda Jones, but comparisons between Ms Jones and Aretha Franklin are unfair to both ladies. What is interesting is that Jerry Wexler signed Linda Jones (to record for Atco) some years before he signed Aretha to an Atlantic deal.

On the evidence of each singers' body of recorded work it's probably correct to state that Linda Jones aces Aretha Franklin in terms of the ratio of killer to filler, though.

Part of me agrees with Tony in that the cream of Aretha's output is relatively small in comparison to her overall career, but I have to say that those highlights are spectacular, (again agreeing with Mr Rounce) generally speaking on songs she either wrote herself or got the first chance to record.

Comments claiming never to have listened to any of her records as some kind of badge of "soul honour" sadden me: I wouldn't like to think of having to go through life never hearing such miraculous recordings as I'm Your Speed or Call Me. Those and others are truly great soul records, "mainstream" or not (and believe me, there is little mainstream about recordings which exhibit such pure soul).

In addition to her singing it shouldn't be forgotten that at her peak Aretha was a highly distinctive, original and inspirational pianist and recordings which showcase this aspect of her talents are often highly memorable.

In short Aretha Franklin's career says more about the US recording industry (good and bad) than it does about those talents. In latter years she seems to have been treated by that industry as some kind of performing seal, particularly as a guest on others' records ("this record needs some quasi-gospel superstar wailing: what's Aretha doing?") which is again disappointing, but is a measure of her status I suppose.

Overall you'd have to say that she's treated her talent with something akin to a lack of care: there is no doubt that she's a complex personality and that fame and acclaim have probably given her as much cause for disquiet as they have a degree of satisfaction or comfort.

The identity of the greatest female soul singer will always be cause for much debate: in terms of transcendent moments on tape I'd personally put Big Maybelle, Bettye Swann, Judy Clay, Denise LaSalle and Candi Staton far in advance of either Linda or Aretha, but that debate is for another day.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

• Replies 57
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

===

even otis redding said Aretha had bettered his version of respect

Given how much money her version earned him during the last few months of his life, I'd not be surprised if Otis said such a thing. Whether or not he actually thought it is something that we'll sadly never know...

...or did he really actually say that she 'battered' the song, and was misheard? I know what I prefer to believe! :)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It's great that USA Today can run a feature on a great singer like Linda Jones, but comparisons between Ms Jones and Aretha Franklin are unfair to both ladies. What is interesting is that Jerry Wexler signed Linda Jones (to record for Atco) some years before he signed Aretha to an Atlantic deal.

On the evidence of each singers' body of recorded work it's probably correct to state that Linda Jones aces Aretha Franklin in terms of the ratio of killer to filler, though.

Part of me agrees with Tony in that the cream of Aretha's output is relatively small in comparison to her overall career, but I have to say that those highlights are spectacular, (again agreeing with Mr Rounce) generally speaking on songs she either wrote herself or got the first chance to record.

Comments claiming never to have listened to any of her records as some kind of badge of "soul honour" sadden me: I wouldn't like to think of having to go through life never hearing such miraculous recordings as I'm Your Speed or Call Me. Those and others are truly great soul records, "mainstream" or not (and believe me, there is little mainstream about recordings which exhibit such pure soul).

In addition to her singing it shouldn't be forgotten that at her peak Aretha was a highly distinctive, original and inspirational pianist and recordings which showcase this aspect of her talents are often highly memorable.

In short Aretha Franklin's career says more about the US recording industry (good and bad) than it does about those talents. In latter years she seems to have been treated by that industry as some kind of performing seal, particularly as a guest on others' records ("this record needs some quasi-gospel superstar wailing: what's Aretha doing?") which is again disappointing, but is a measure of her status I suppose.

Overall you'd have to say that she's treated her talent with something akin to a lack of care: there is no doubt that she's a complex personality and that fame and acclaim have probably given her as much cause for disquiet as they have a degree of satisfaction or comfort.

The identity of the greatest female soul singer will always be cause for much debate: in terms of transcendent moments on tape I'd personally put Big Maybelle, Bettye Swann, Judy Clay, Denise LaSalle and Candi Staton far in advance of either Linda or Aretha, but that debate is for another day.

"Call Me" is a fabulous record. I can't believe that I missed it off my list...

Excellently reasoned argument BTW, Gareth.

Social source share

Given how much money her version earned him during the last few months of his life, I'd not be surprised if Otis said such a thing. Whether or not he actually thought it is something that we'll sadly never know...

...or did he really actually say that she 'battered' the song, and was misheard? I know what I prefer to believe! :)

=======

no he probably thought wow what a great version of my already great song,good on yer girl!!

also did her version not get to No.01 in the US,why because miilions liked it better than otis's

aretha is a LEGEND full stop..i dont see how you can say anything to the contrary...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

=======

also did her version not get to No.01 in the US,why because miilions liked it better than otis's

This argument proves what exactly, Mark? That it's a good record because millions of people liked it? Millions of people liked "Shaddap You Face", too...

The only things I like about "ReeReeReeReeReeReeReeReeSPECT" are King Curtis' sax solo at the bridge, and the bit at the end, just after the music stops and the stylus works its way along the run-out groove.

Come to think of it, my overall ongoing opinion of Aretha is is largely informed by just how GodAWFUL her version of "Respect" really is...

"Sockitomesockitomesockittomesockitomesockitomesockittomesockittome". Gladly, madam. Just stand there while I position this Louisville Slugger, will you???

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

This argument proves what excatly, Mark? That it's a good record because millions of people liked it? Millions of people liked "Shaddap You Face", too...

The only things I like about "ReeReeReeReeReeReeReeReeSPECT" are King Curtis' sax solo at the bridge, and the bit at the end, just after the music stops and the stylus works its way along the run-out groove.

Come to think of it, my overall ongoing opinion of Aretha is is largely informed by just how GodAWFUL her version of "Respect" really is...

"Sockitomesockitomesockittomesockitomesockitomesockittomesockittome". Gladly, madam. Just stand there while I position this Louisville Slugger, will you???

I imagine Aretha's Respect has also been devalued a bit for many by the fact that a certain controversial politician used to use it as his theme tune :)

Social source share

It's as if some people feel it 'uncool' to admit to any love for artists that had the gaul to enjoy a little commercial success. Ooo it's not rare so its s**t. Really pisses me off sometimes. angry.gif

Mmm there are probably some people like that (and as a music fan I can't undserstand that mindset at all!) but for me its about personal taste. Whereas I love Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Mavis Staples, Carla Thomas and many other commercially successful artists, Aretha has never really done it for me. She is too much of a shouter and her voice doesn't have enough depth for me in most of the records I have heard. Many of her records are just noise to me-for example all that 80s dirge she recorded with George Michael/Annie Lennox and the godawful Integrity ph34r.gif But I will concede that I do like some of her slower tempo tracks, like Runnin out of Fools as slower tempo does seem to suit her voice more.

And I'm with Tony on Respect :P

Edited by Reg
Social source share

This argument proves what exactly, Mark? That it's a good record because millions of people liked it? Millions of people liked "Shaddap You Face", too...

=========

'you are ignoring this user'

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert