• Replies 57
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest bazabod_downunder

Huge accolade, must admit that 'Just can't Live My Life' IMHO is one of the best things commited to vinyl......I didn't realise she died at such a young age, the possibilities of what could have been achieved by her if she was here today, makes you wonder.

KTF

Baz

USA today says "Linda Jones! The Greatest Soul Singer you've never heard."

Click below to read review, USA Today is a huge newspaper here in the States and it's nice to see Linda Jones with National press in the states again!

https://blogs.usatoday.com/listenup/

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

AGREE LINDA JONES FANTASTIC VOICE... JUST CANT LIVE MY LIFE.. BRILLIANT TUNE. JUST THOUGHT SOMETIMES SHE OVER DID IT A LITTLE.. A LA MY HEART NEEDS A BREAK...

Social source share

Guest mel brat

...JUST THOUGHT SOMETIMES SHE OVER DID IT A LITTLE..

That's her trademark really, though I admit that Linda Jones is very much an acquired taste. Some people just hear histrionics but I prefer to call it raw emotion. (Not suitable for selling Kentucky Fried Chicken!) smile.gif

"I Just Can't Live My Life" was my favourite Northern record for many years and I'd never part with it, but her ballads wipe me out completely. (Check out the B-Sides of her Northern gems!) "Don't Go (I Can't Bear To Be Alone)" is easily among my favourites, but there are so many.

Linda Jones' vocals will invariably leave you both "shaken and stirred" - but it feels so good!

Social source share

It's so unusual for the Americans to acknowledge brilliance in their own back yard! I've always though that the U.S.A. undervalued their own music massively but maybe after 35 years things are beginning to change.

Linda Jones in USA Today is a real coup for Soul Music and I would never have imagined it being possible. Great stuff!

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

It's so unusual for the Americans to acknowledge brilliance in their own back yard! I've always though that the U.S.A. undervalued their own music massively but maybe after 35 years things are beginning to change.

Linda Jones in USA Today is a real coup for Soul Music and I would never have imagined it being possible. Great stuff!

Ian D :wave:

Linda Jones was my favorite artist in the 70,s and nothing i,ve heard since has changed my mine.

Still the all-time greatest!!!!!

Social source share

Massive accolade from perhaps the greatest [taking Arertha and Millie Jackson out of the equation]soul songstress ever ,hypnotised is a sheer masterpiece as is not on the outside etc,it is a fitting tribute.

BAZ A :D

off topic baz but "massive acolade" er more like massive avatar how did you do that??, :wave::lol::no:
Social source share

USA today says "Linda Jones! The Greatest Soul Singer you've never heard." Click below to read review, USA Today is a huge newspaper here in the States and it's nice to see Linda Jones with National press in the states again!

When I stay in the US the highlight of my day is when the free copy of USA Today is slid under the hotel room door. I run to pick it up and scramble to find the pages and pages of reviews about soul music. I am constatly knocked out by their depth of knowledge and expertise............

GO !! USA TODAY !!! right on man, hang ten dude, tighten up and keep your flies right !!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

:thumbsup: Excuse me...don't start slagging Aretha! :(

Why not, she's nothing special after all. A vast and largely mediocre catalogue, containing a mere handful of undisputed gems, hardly qualifies her to be the 'Queen Of Soul'.

You could get all of Aretha's really great records onto one CD, and still have about 10 minutes' playing time left over. Nothing less than a deluxe boxed set would serve the same purpose for Linda Jones...

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Linda Jones was my favorite artist in the 70,s and nothing i,ve heard since has changed my mine.

Still the all-time greatest!!!!!

Hiya Dave,

I think the press release may be linked to the recent issuing of "her" Cd Soul Talkin put together/vocals added by her daughter Terry & Helen Bruner.

Janet & I get a mention in the sleevenotes just after Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff !

the "girls" have become good friends of ours and we went to the Grammys in LA in Feb with them.

www.philerzy.com is their site.

post-5119-1224180518_thumb.jpg

Terry ,Me ,Helen, Janet

Social source share

Why not, she's nothing special after all. A vast and largely mediocre catalogue, containing a mere handful of undisputed gems, hardly qualifies her to be the 'Queen Of Soul'.

You could get all of Aretha's really great records onto one CD, and still have about 10 minutes' playing time left over. Nothing less than a deluxe boxed set would serve the same purpose for Linda Jones...

Ah but Tony her quality is REAL quality(Chain of Fools is an undisputed top draw track IMO)...I'm not saying she didn't release mediocrity(What big soul artist hasn't?) Nor am I disputing the fact that Linda Jones is not a class act (Although Just Can't Live My Life doesn't get much of an outing on my MP3) but Aretha isn't at the top of the pile for nothing...

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Quite agree Tony.

Social source share

I think Aretha would have languished had she not been pushed so much by Jerry Wexler & co.

She is undoubtedly a great singer, but sometimes I find her a bit tedious. She has the ability to

blow me away or completely bore my gonads off. I prefer Etta James, if pushed.

Linda is simply a huge, unsung talent. it's only fitting that people in the US are starting to discover

that searing emotion. JCLML is flawless, hardly suprising considering George's involvement.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Aretha isn't at the top of the pile for nothing...

As far as at least some of us on here are concerned, she is. :D

Aretha is "The Queen Of Soul" in the same way that Michael Jackson is "The King Of Pop", These are just shallow epithets, with no basis in fact, coined by music journalists whose knowledge of "Soul" and "Pop" doesn't extend too far beyond those artists.

I probably like 20-25 of her records, 30 tops - which isn't many, considering how many records she's made since 1960. I like them very much, too - at least one of them would make any "100 Greatest Of All Time" list of mine. But I know that I would feel the same about her overall body of work, and as an artist, regardless of how much more famous she is than almost any other African-American singers of her generation.

Linda Jones, on the other hand, touches my soul in a way that only a handful of singers have ever done. Almost every single one of her recordings affects me emotionally (OK, so I don't get too worked up about "If I Had A Hammer" but who does, apart from Trini Lopez fans?). I know that others on here would feel exactly the same way. Sure, she IS an acquired taste for many, but as far as I'm concerned it's a taste that could and should be acquired by anyone who appreciates any genuine expression of emotion.

Aretha's 'soul' is too often superficial and bordering on showboating, just like her 'successor' Chaka Khan's is. Linda's screaming and hollering comes from a bottomless well of hurt and pain and is is as real as the tragedy of her early passing. She wasn't around long enough to drift into mediocrity, but I'm betting that she would never have diluted her craft by performing songs such as "There's No Business Like Show Business", the way a certain other (alleged) "Queen Of Soul" went on to do. :ohmy:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

As far as at least some of us on here are concerned, she is. :D

Aretha is "The Queen Of Soul" in the same way that Michael Jackson is "The King Of Pop", These are just shallow epithets, with no basis in fact, coined by music journalists whose knowledge of "Soul" and "Pop" doesn't extend too far beyond those artists.

I probably like 20-25 of her records, 30 tops - which isn't many, considering how many records she's made since 1960. I like them very much, too - at least one of them would make any "100 Greatest Of All Time" list of mine. But I know that I would feel the same about her overall body of work, and as an artist, regardless of how much more famous she is than almost any other African-American singers of her generation.

Linda Jones, on the other hand, touches my soul in a way that only a handful of singers have ever done. Almost every single one of her recordings affects me emotionally (OK, so I don't get too worked up about "If I Had A Hammer" but who does, apart from Trini Lopez fans?). I know that others on here would feel exactly the same way. Sure, she IS an acquired taste for many, but as far as I'm concerned it's a taste that could and should be acquired by anyone who appreciates any genuine expression of emotion.

Aretha's 'soul' is too often superficial and bordering on showboating, just like her 'successor' Chaka Khan's is. Linda's screaming and hollering comes from a bottomless well of hurt and pain and is is as real as the tragedy of her early passing. She wasn't around long enough to drift into mediocrity, but I'm betting that she would never have diluted her craft by performing songs such as "There's No Business Like Show Business", the way a certain other (alleged) "Queen Of Soul" went on to do. :no:

=====

i totally agree with Beeks...Aretha is the undisputed Queen of Soul and always will be !

love linda too obviously cut off in her prime which is a great shame

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

=====

i totally agree with Beeks...Aretha is the undisputed Queen of Soul and always will be !

I would have expected nothing less from you, Mr. Freeman.... :D

Social source share

=====

likewise with you Mr Rounce :D

====

joking and personalities aside

how can you diss Aretha in such a way

from 60-67 its true her recordings did nothing ,then with the right team behind her she gave the world some AWESOME tunes

think,,respect,never loved a man,you make me feel ,chain of fools and LOADS more in the 60s

dont play that song,spanish harlem,until you come back to me, in the 70s

her gospel rendition of Amazing Grace is an iconic recording as many of her tracks are....

her chart success and recording history is close to unrivalled by very few black female artists as you can get

saying shes the queen of soul is a shallow statement is as shallow as you can get imo

oh well all good fun i suppose - yours mark

Social source share

Hiya Dave,

I think the press release may be linked to the recent issuing of "her" Cd Soul Talkin put together/vocals added by her daughter Terry & Helen Bruner.

Janet & I get a mention in the sleevenotes just after Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff !

the "girls" have become good friends of ours and we went to the Grammys in LA in Feb with them.

www.philerzy.com is their site.

post-5119-1224180518_thumb.jpg

Terry ,Me ,Helen, Janet

Just a pity the cd is poor quality remixing of her old unnissued tracks

and the drum machine takes away the quality it could have been if remixed vocals had been dubbed onto studio

recorded on live backing. imo

Social source share

As far as at least some of us on here are concerned, she is. :no:

Aretha's 'soul' is too often superficial and bordering on showboating, just like her 'successor' Chaka Khan's is. Linda's screaming and hollering comes from a bottomless well of hurt and pain and is is as real as the tragedy of her early passing. She wasn't around long enough to drift into mediocrity, but I'm betting that she would never have diluted her craft by performing songs such as "There's No Business Like Show Business", the way a certain other (alleged) "Queen Of Soul" went on to do. :lol:

Don't let Terry Jones hear you say that Tone :D

Seriously though Linda Jones ballads are up there with the best of them 'Ooh baby you move me' ' What can i do without you' and that live cd that you compiled with amazing live version of 'thats when I'll stop loving you' are among the best soul records I've ever heard.

Long overdue a re-appraisal.

Social source share

====

from 60-67 its true her recordings did nothing ,then with the right team behind her she gave the world some AWESOME tunes

think,,respect,never loved a man,you make me feel ,chain of fools and LOADS more in the 60s

her gospel rendition of Amazing Grace is an iconic recording as many of her tracks are....

her chart success and recording history is close to unrivalled by very few black female artists as you can get

saying shes the queen of soul is a shallow statement is as shallow as you can get imo

I love her version of Spanish Harlem and agree with you Mark 100%

The woman rightly deserves any accolade she gets IMHO

Social source share

That's her trademark really, though I admit that Linda Jones is very much an acquired taste. Some people just hear histrionics but I prefer to call it raw emotion. (Not suitable for selling Kentucky Fried Chicken!) :g:

"I Just Can't Live My Life" was my favourite Northern record for many years and I'd never part with it, but her ballads wipe me out completely. (Check out the B-Sides of her Northern gems!) "Don't Go (I Can't Bear To Be Alone)" is easily among my favourites, but there are so many.

Linda Jones' vocals will invariably leave you both "shaken and stirred" - but it feels so good!

:D:no::lol:

One of the greatest ballads i have ever heard, always in my play box at home... Just what i need for a real deal soul fix.... Tunes that just leave you breathless with the mountain of pain and emotion....

Gonna have to go and play it now before i get off to work... Sound clip anyone???

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

====

Aretha Franklin has never improved upon the original version of any song she's recorded. Not a single one. Her great moments come only on songs that she recorded first - "It Won't Be Long", "Lee Cross", "I Never Loved A Man", "Do Right Woman - Do Right Man", "(Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone", "Day Dreaming", "Natural Woman", "Listen To Your Heart", "Rock Steady" "Don't Let Me Lose This Dream" and, yes, "Chain Of Fools", for example. And particularly "I Can't See Myself Leaving You", my only Aretha "Desert Island Disc"...

"Spanish Harlem"? "Don't Play That Song"? It's going to be Ben E King, every day of the week...

"Respect?" She should have been charged with murdering a classic, and Otis should have sued for misrepresentation of his song...

"Amazing Grace"? Sorry, not moved in any way (and I'm a believer).

I stand by my original comments and always will. Queen Of Soul my ar*e...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Don't let Terry Jones hear you say that Tone :D

I'll be looking forward to addressing the topic with him at Monumental next week, mate! Coming?

Social source share

Aretha Franklin has never improved upon the original version of any song she's recorded. Not a single one. Her great moments come only on songs that she recorded first - "It Won't Be Long", "Lee Cross", "I Never Loved A Man", "Do Right Woman - Do Right Man", "(Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone", "Day Dreaming", "Natural Woman", "Listen To Your Heart", "Rock Steady" "Don't Let Me Lose This Dream" and, yes, "Chain Of Fools", for example. And particularly "I Can't See Myself Leaving You", my only Aretha "Desert Island Disc"...

"Spanish Harlem"? "Don't Play That Song"? It's going to be Ben E King, every day of the week...

"Respect?" She should have been charged with murdering a classic, and Otis should have sued for misrepresentation of his song...

"Amazing Grace"? Sorry, not moved in any way (and I'm a believer).

I stand by my original comments and always will. Queen Of Soul my ar*e...

=======

tony if i said the world was round - youd say it was square!!!

so we'll have to agree to disagree on another issue :D

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

i've just realised that i must be a northern soul bigot! since the age of 10 i have NEVER sat down and played an aretha franklin song, or any other mainstream soul record ever! the same goes for all other popular music genres etc...

linda jones- i just cant live my life. this masterpiece stands alone :D

Social source share

The combination of Linda and George Kerr (professionally at least), was a match made in heaven. Almost all her songs are on home made CDs I use in the car. The iconic "Just Can't Live My Life" is monumental and when she initially kicks in on the classic "I'm So Glad I Found You" you can sense the Moments gulping in awe! But for me it's the LP only track "If We Had Met Sooner" that does it every time. Not as 'passioned' vocally as some of her other outings but it's the way she keeps something back, the fact that you just KNOW she could explode at any time but stays in complete control from the opening bars to the final flourish. As they say round these parts.....FANTASTICO!

Social source share

Great call on "If Only We Had Met Sooner" Dave... and certainly, to many of us Linda Jones is the great 'uncrowned' Queen of Soul.

Still adore Aretha and a great deal of her 'post Columbia' work. Sending her down to Muscle Shoals was Jerry Wexler's master stroke, unlocking a fabulous vocal range and energy I feel she'd never properly used before. There's no doubting her incredible contribution to Soul Music.

I'll take 'em both, any day of the week over 99% of other Female vocalists (of all genres) and to trying to compare one 'very different' artist over the other is quite pointless and gets us nowhere.

But that someone can listen to 'Northern' and admit to never having sat down and listened to an Aretha Franklin record leaves me shaking my head in complete shock and despair!

:D

me - shaking my head in complete shock and despair!

Staggered.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

I would add "Angel" to that list. Tis one of my favourites by her. And I also have a soft spot for "Jimmy Lee" and Whos'e Z who" from the 80s. - but agree that's about it. :P

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I don't know wheter to file my Aretha tunes under

S for screamer

or

O for overrated

Any thoughts?

I think you would be hard pressed to find as much negativity written about Aretha Franklin - on, probably, the premier Soul music site on the web? Each to there own and all that, but quite frankly I'm baffled.

Edited by Goldwax
Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I know what you mean!

:lol:

Still shaking my head in complete shock and despair!

It's as if some people feel it 'uncool' to admit to any love for artists that had the gaul to enjoy a little commercial success. Ooo it's not rare so its s**t. Really pisses me off sometimes. :P

Social source share

I think you would be hard pressed to find as much negativity written about Aretha Franklin - on, probably, the premier Soul music site on the web? Each to there own and all that, but quite frankly I'm baffled.

You're not the only one...thought hell would freeze over before supposed lovers of soul music spoke her name in vain...

It's like Prog Rock fans slagging off Led Zeppelin or something haha :P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert