Jamaican Inst To "change Your Ways" Willie Kendricks?

nij flood

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

So this is where it came from...Byron Lee & The Dragonaires

Surely - and it's tenuous - it's gonna be the other way round? Byron Lee nicking the riff from Willie Kendrick?

MRez

Social source share

Surely - and it's tenuous - it's gonna be the other way round? Byron Lee nicking the riff from Willie Kendrick?

MRez

Sure you're right, Jamaica versioned lotsa soul stuff of course. I was just echoing some mates comments & being a little contentious at the same time. Always good to stir the pot...

The one that went the other way for sure IMO was Johnny Moore's "Big Big Boss" (1968) to Magic Night "if you & I etc" (1973). I posted the Johnny Moore a while back.

Of course it was mainly one way traffic tho' USA-JA

Nij

Social source share

Sure you're right, Jamaica versioned lotsa soul stuff of course. I was just echoing some mates comments & being a little contentious at the same time. Always good to stir the pot...

The one that went the other way for sure IMO was Johnny Moore's "Big Big Boss" (1968) to Magic Night "if you & I etc" (1973). I posted the Johnny Moore a while back.

Of course it was mainly one way traffic tho' USA-JA

Nij

Need to check dat - I've always loved that Magic Night cut - poppy nonsense but gets RIGHT under ya skin(head!),,,LOL....

MRez

Social source share

Need to check dat - I've always loved that Magic Night cut - poppy nonsense but gets RIGHT under ya skin(head!),,,LOL....

MRez

Just listened to Johnny Moore - again, vague similarities but not sure there was any actually 'copying' going on there..? What year did the JA cut first surface? Pre or post-1975? It's the vocal on Magic Night that gets me and the JA 'take' is just lacking that extra special 'something' to my ears - just sounds a bit flat to my tired old ears...

Sorry, wanted to love it but just didn't.....MRez

Social source share

Just listened to Johnny Moore - again, vague similarities but not sure there was any actually 'copying' going on there..? What year did the JA cut first surface? Pre or post-1975? It's the vocal on Magic Night that gets me and the JA 'take' is just lacking that extra special 'something' to my ears - just sounds a bit flat to my tired old ears...

Sorry, wanted to love it but just didn't.....MRez

Johnny cut this for Lloyd Daley in 1968. I love it as much as anything I have, soul or jamaican, but then as ever its each to his/her own. Its them horns just reaching higher & higher that do it for me. The reason I have Magic Night is that Paul Temple very kindly gave me his after I played him Big Big Boss. He's a top boy for that alone...

Nij

Social source share

Johnny cut this for Lloyd Daley in 1968. I love it as much as anything I have, soul or jamaican, but then as ever its each to his/her own. Its them horns just reaching higher & higher that do it for me. The reason I have Magic Night is that Paul Temple very kindly gave me his after I played him Big Big Boss. He's a top boy for that alone...

Nij

Agreed - sterling horns but the rhythm just doesn't have enough variety to stick in my mind to tell ya true...

One man's meat, eh....

MRez

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert