Cafe Regio's - Gary The Master Blaster Voc & Inst

Ian Dewhirst

Well we finally our hands on the first pressings of the magnificent "Cafe Regio's" by Gary The Master Blaster. This after rejecting two seperate sets of T.P.'s until we got the perfect 7" in our hands at last!

post-9434-1223934245.jpg

This has never been on vinyl before and is backed with an alternative instrumental take by the Master Blaster Band. The story has been well documented elsewhere on Soul Source but essentially this was an updated version of Isaac Hayes' "Cafe Regio's" (the 'B' side of "Shaft" no less) which was recorded in 1998 and then overlaid with an original 1970 radio rap from Gary The Master Blaster - the legendary radio D.J. from Miami radio station WCKO who established a huge local audience as a result of his organic early radio 'raps' which were typical of the personality DJ's on U.S. black music stations in the early 1970's.

We think this is a unique record which sounds like a breath of fresh air when played loud and is almost like a Detroit uptempo version of the original Ike Hayes tune with such a Soulful DJ on top of it. A real one-off recording!

Gary The Master Blaster "Cafe Regio's"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/183698315b8bc59d/

Over 700 downloads in the last 4 weeks alone. We've pressed exactly 1000 copies and will be going to wholesale and export this week. We think this record will appeal to different scenes and will go quickly - at least that's the plan so our fingers are crossed! There's already significant orders coming in from some unexpected places so well worth grabbing in our opinion! Expect some radio plays over the next few weeks too - it sounds brilliant on radio and just tremendous over a club system! We're raring to go go go..........

Since this track came about completely via Soul Source we're offering a special price to all Soul Source members of £7.99 (Retail Price is £9.99)! Please PM me if you want one.

Wholesale enquiries are also welcome - just PM me for details.

Best,

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Blimey 30 gone already in an hour and a half! Keep those PM's coming!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Just on this Isaac Hayes theme and the adaptation/appropriation of his songs, purely by chance I recently happened to throw on to the turntable the B side of the Pointer Sisters mid 70's funk classic on Blue Thumb - How Long (Betcha Got A Chick on the Side) and found a track entitled "Easy Days" which incredibly is a fantastic dreamy cross-over VOCAL version to Ike's instrumental "Ellie's Love Theme" one of the most loved tunes from the Shaft soundtrack.

So Easy Days by the Pointer Sisters is my crossover tip for the moment !

Have a listen:

https://au.youtube.com/watch?v=kXduHkUs29o

Social source share

Just on this Isaac Hayes theme and the adaptation/appropriation of his songs, purely by chance I recently happened to throw on to the turntable the B side of the Pointer Sisters mid 70's funk classic on Blue Thumb - How Long (Betcha Got A Chick on the Side) and found a track entitled "Easy Days" which incredibly is a fantastic dreamy cross-over VOCAL version to Ike's instrumental "Ellie's Love Theme" one of the most loved tunes from the Shaft soundtrack.

So Easy Days by the Pointer Sisters is my crossover tip for the moment !

Have a listen:

https://au.youtube.com/watch?v=kXduHkUs29o

Mmm. Interesting. I'll check it out...........

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

Well we finally our hands on the first pressings of the magnificent "Cafe Regio's" by Gary The Master Blaster. This after rejecting two seperate sets of T.P.'s until we got the perfect 7" in our hands at last!

post-9434-1223934245.jpg

This has never been on vinyl before and is backed with an alternative instrumental take by the Master Blaster Band. The story has been well documented elsewhere on Soul Source but essentially this was an updated version of Isaac Hayes' "Cafe Regio's" (the 'B' side of "Shaft" no less) which was recorded in 1998 and then overlaid with an original 1970 radio rap from Gary The Master Blaster - the legendary radio D.J. from Miami radio station WCKO who established a huge local audience as a result of his organic early radio 'raps' which were typical of the personality DJ's on U.S. black music stations in the early 1970's.

We think this is a unique record which sounds like a breath of fresh air when played loud and is almost like a Detroit uptempo version of the original Ike Hayes tune with such a Soulful DJ on top of it. A real one-off recording!

Gary The Master Blaster "Cafe Regio's"

Over 700 downloads in the last 4 weeks alone. We've pressed exactly 1000 copies and will be going to wholesale and export this week. We think this record will appeal to different scenes and will go quickly - at least that's the plan so our fingers are crossed! There's already significant orders coming in from some unexpected places so well worth grabbing in our opinion! Expect some radio plays over the next few weeks too - it sounds brilliant on radio and just tremendous over a club system! We're raring to go go go..........

Since this track came about completely via Soul Source we're offering a special price to all Soul Source members of £7.99 (Retail Price is £9.99)! Please PM me if you want one.

Wholesale enquiries are also welcome - just PM me for details.

Best,

Ian D :shades:

Well done (again!) Ian - not my bag but I can hear the appeal - great work and really 'progressive' to see somebody getting pro-active when a gap in the market appears - Gordon Brown should be proud of you...!!

Respeck.......MRez

Social source share

Well done (again!) Ian - not my bag but I can hear the appeal - great work and really 'progressive' to see somebody getting pro-active when a gap in the market appears - Gordon Brown should be proud of you...!!

Respeck.......MRez

I wish it was that easy Mark!

I had the misfortune of having to mail everyone who got the record this morning the following message:

"Dear All,

Cafe Regio's Alert!

You're going to receive your "Cafe Regio's" order in the post tomorrow morning but please note that we've just discovered a problem with the 'B' side instrumental! We approved the 3rd lot of TP's (after 2 previous sets failed) but the pressing plant used the wrong bloody stamper on the 'B' side, so we're now going to have to do the whole lot again!

The 'A' side is OK so please feel free to play it and keep it. As these were the first off the press you may as well keep it as the rest will be destroyed. So by complete default, you've actually got an accidental rarity.

Please accept our sincere apologies and rest assured that we will mail out the correct pressing to all of you free of charge as soon as we get them, which should be early next week.

In the meantime, enjoy the 'A' side as you're the only people who have them (along with some copies we gave to DJ's and Dealers @ Prestatyn) so there's only around 40 copies of these that are out there - luckily we stopped the other 80 personal orders and 350 wholesale orders which were due to be mailed and sent out tomorrow - these have now been recalled/stopped and will be destroyed.

An accidental rarity but a major headache for us! It's almost like someone's trying to sabatage this bloody record or maybe that's just me being paranoid! :thumbsup:

Apologies once again. We have everyone's details so we'll mail you the good copies a.s.a.p."

And this on the Ian Levine thread in answer to "Where are my copies?":-

"Going back to the bloody pressing plant to be destroyed! The 3rd set of TP's were just fine and approved but they used the wrong stamper on the 'B' side of the finished copies with the result that we've now had to recall all of 'em! Luckily I managed to stop the big wholesale orders before they were despatched and the radio copies were due to go out today, so the only copies which have escaped were the ones I gave out @ Prestatyn and the lucky sods who put their orders in first via Soul Source and got them mailed yesterday, who have now all been contacted and told they will receive a fresh pressing free of charge as soon as we get them. So it's really been a question of damage limitation with the result that there are actually only about 40 copies out there with perfectly good 'A' sides but duff 'B' sides. A collectors item for some but a major headache for us.

It could have been far worse as something like a further 400 copies were due to be despatched today!

I hope this is a good example for anyone who thinks that getting a record pressed these days is easy. I have never, in 32 years of getting records pressed, had as many problems as "Cafe Regio's" has posed in 2008. I think the art of pressing decent 7" vinyl records is being lost as I'm hearing many similar stories from other people - in one recent case, no less than 5 sets of TP's were rejected on quality grounds.

We have now sacked the pressing plant in question and will moving all future production to the plant which Paul Mooney recommended (so many thanks Paul). I'm waiting for delivery information but I guess the new copies should be with us by the close of next week touch wood.

Many apologies to all. I've been responsible for 1000's of releases since 1974 and I have never encountered the amount of problems that this one has suffered. In the immortal words of Chuck Jackson, "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait"!

So there ya go Mark. Fun being a record tycoon innit!

Ian D :unsure:

Social source share

I wish it was that easy Mark!

I had the misfortune of having to mail everyone who got the record this morning the following message:

"Dear All,

Cafe Regio's Alert!

You're going to receive your "Cafe Regio's" order in the post tomorrow morning but please note that we've just discovered a problem with the 'B' side instrumental! We approved the 3rd lot of TP's (after 2 previous sets failed) but the pressing plant used the wrong bloody stamper on the 'B' side, so we're now going to have to do the whole lot again!

The 'A' side is OK so please feel free to play it and keep it. As these were the first off the press you may as well keep it as the rest will be destroyed. So by complete default, you've actually got an accidental rarity.

Please accept our sincere apologies and rest assured that we will mail out the correct pressing to all of you free of charge as soon as we get them, which should be early next week.

In the meantime, enjoy the 'A' side as you're the only people who have them (along with some copies we gave to DJ's and Dealers @ Prestatyn) so there's only around 40 copies of these that are out there - luckily we stopped the other 80 personal orders and 350 wholesale orders which were due to be mailed and sent out tomorrow - these have now been recalled/stopped and will be destroyed.

An accidental rarity but a major headache for us! It's almost like someone's trying to sabatage this bloody record or maybe that's just me being paranoid! :thumbsup:

Apologies once again. We have everyone's details so we'll mail you the good copies a.s.a.p."

And this on the Ian Levine thread in answer to "Where are my copies?":-

"Going back to the bloody pressing plant to be destroyed! The 3rd set of TP's were just fine and approved but they used the wrong stamper on the 'B' side of the finished copies with the result that we've now had to recall all of 'em! Luckily I managed to stop the big wholesale orders before they were despatched and the radio copies were due to go out today, so the only copies which have escaped were the ones I gave out @ Prestatyn and the lucky sods who put their orders in first via Soul Source and got them mailed yesterday, who have now all been contacted and told they will receive a fresh pressing free of charge as soon as we get them. So it's really been a question of damage limitation with the result that there are actually only about 40 copies out there with perfectly good 'A' sides but duff 'B' sides. A collectors item for some but a major headache for us.

It could have been far worse as something like a further 400 copies were due to be despatched today!

I hope this is a good example for anyone who thinks that getting a record pressed these days is easy. I have never, in 32 years of getting records pressed, had as many problems as "Cafe Regio's" has posed in 2008. I think the art of pressing decent 7" vinyl records is being lost as I'm hearing many similar stories from other people - in one recent case, no less than 5 sets of TP's were rejected on quality grounds.

We have now sacked the pressing plant in question and will moving all future production to the plant which Paul Mooney recommended (so many thanks Paul). I'm waiting for delivery information but I guess the new copies should be with us by the close of next week touch wood.

Many apologies to all. I've been responsible for 1000's of releases since 1974 and I have never encountered the amount of problems that this one has suffered. In the immortal words of Chuck Jackson, "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait"!

So there ya go Mark. Fun being a record tycoon innit!

Ian D :unsure:

Effing hell - what a bloody shame...just glad I don't manufacture vinyl or CDs anymore - I'd forgotten what a pain in the asre the actually whole process can be...you have my deepest sympathies, Ian!!

Mark Res

Social source share

Effing hell - what a bloody shame...just glad I don't manufacture vinyl or CDs anymore - I'd forgotten what a pain in the asre the actually whole process can be...you have my deepest sympathies, Ian!!

Mark Res

Yep. Pressing vinyl is becoming a dying art that's for sure.........

Incidentaly, I have some reggae stuff knocking around which I want to clear out - all decent mid 70's mint J.A. original press Dub albums. Is this up your street? If so I'll PM you with a list........

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks to everyone who's placed an order for this. I've only just caught up with the PM's!

If you check the thread you'll see the problems we've had with the 'B' side of the first pressing. We are now in the process of re-manufacturing but it could be around 10 days before we get the good pressings through with a clean 'B' side, so anyone who wants to order and place themselves in the queue (which would be a good idea anyway) should send either a PM directly to Phil Dick (phild) or e-mail info@soul-intention.co.uk as I'll be away from next Tuesday 21st until Thursday 30th by which point we should have the new pressings.

Phew what a week.........

Best,

Ian D :D

Social source share

If someone would like my copy of the "rare miss-press" they can have it for a fiver posted in the UK as I'll be getting a replacement and wanted it more for the instrumental than the vocal. Paypal only. First to PM gets it (note I won't be logging on until later for replies).

Cheers... Pete in Brighton.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

If someone would like my copy of the "rare miss-press" they can have it for a fiver posted in the UK as I'll be getting a replacement and wanted it more for the instrumental than the vocal. Paypal only. First to PM gets it (note I won't be logging on until later for replies).

Cheers... Pete in Brighton.

Still for sale - make a credit crunch offer for the a-side

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

OK, after an agonizing 4 weeks of bad-pressings, 4 seperate lots of test-pressings and 2 different manufacturers we finally have PERFECT copies of one of the records of the year!

Everyone who ordered first time around, has now had their orders re-filled at our expense - many apologies for the duff pressings and we're hope everyone's happy with the BRILLIANT new pressing.

I've just spent the last 3 days mailing the new copies out to everyone who previously ordered, so we're now taking orders again! Simply go to www.soul-intention.co.uk and place your order!

Demand for the record has gone sky-high this week and we're expecting some radio plays this weekend, so we do advise all interested parties to order a.s.a.p. whilst we have the stock. There's also been some massive wholesale interest from abroad, so the stock we've just received is going down very quickly! Don;t say we didn't warn ya!

SOUL INTENTION RECORDS

"CAF° REGIO'S" - GARY THE MASTER BLASTER!

VOC & INST

Soul Intention Records are delighted to announce their debut limited-edition 7" only vinyl release of Isaac Hayes' "Caf Regio's" by Gary The Master Blaster backed with a previously unheard instrumental version.

It has taken 4 different batches of test-pressings, 2 months and two different record pressing plants to finally get a decent pressing which we can release with pride! The art of pressing 7" vinyl is slowly going the same way as dry-stone walling, so the sheer amount of blood, sweat and tears we went through to finally get this out would need a small book to document the experience!

But it's here at last! And the record sounds just fantastic!

This record has been pressed on a limited-edition U.S. 7" pressing of 1000 records only on the Soul-Intention label and was released on Monday 10th November 2008. The record is being self-distributed and only targeted towards a vinyl-friendly audience - our motto is "Keeping The Faith In Vinyl" and that's exactly what we propose to do with Soul Intention! So the record goes only to the right people, the right dealers and the right shops.

This has never been on vinyl before and is backed with an alternative instrumental take by the Master Blaster Band. The story has been well documented elsewhere on Soul Source and other websites but essentially this is an updated version of Isaac Hayes' "Cafe Regio's" (the 'B' side of "Shaft" no less) which was recorded in 1998 and then overlaid with an original 1970 radio rap from Gary The Master Blaster - the legendary radio D.J. from Miami radio station WCKO who established a huge local audience as a result of his organic early radio 'raps' which were typical of the personality DJ's on U.S. black music stations in the early 1970's.

We think this is a unique record which sounds like a breath of fresh air when played loud and is almost like a Detroit up-tempo version of the original Ike Hayes tune with such a Soulful DJ on top of it. A real one-off recording! The alternative-take instrumental version by the Master Blaster Band is simply cream on the top. Hope you enjoy it!

For further enquiries, orders and wholesale on Soul Intention releases, please contact www.soul-intention.co.uk or PM Ian Dewhirst or Phil Dick on Soul Source.

It's been a trial of fire but it's worth it when you hear the record!

Best,

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Ian, you ok? Just tried the link to have a listen at the track, but the link is down for maintainance apparently. Is there an alternative link where I could have an earfull?

Look after matey.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Try it again mate. 1173 downloads to date - just checked it and it's working fine.....

Gary The Master Blaster "Cafe Regio's" Soul Intention Limited-Edition 7"

Would have thought this was right up your street Steve. Enjoy!

Best,

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

OK, finally caught up with the backlog of orders now. Everyone who originally ordered this and got the duff pressing on the instrumental should now have received fresh perfect copies, so many thanks for everyone's patience!

So we're open for business. With 300 sold in just over a week the record is flying out. You can now order via the Soul Intention Records website - www.soul-intention.co.uk. Copies are £9.99 + £2.25 P&P.

Any wholesale enquiries should PM either myself or Phil Dick......

Many thanks,

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

This is the Sales Forum
Use the site PM (personal message) system for any trading discussion

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert