Latin - Love It Or Hate It

Boogaloo

So did I...

I guess I'm on my own again with this one, I can't bloody stand the latin sound. Hopefully I've just not heard the right things yet but what I've heard so far (which isn't much to be fair) bores me silly. rolleyes.gif

Jayne.x

No, you're not on your own Jayne. I detest the stuff!!! As one isn't supposed to swear on here anymore, I'll leave it at that!!! :P

As for the colour thing that's been mentioned previously. Whether the artist be black, white or purple with yellow dots on, Latin just isn't SOUL, IMO. :D

p.s. All the very best to you and Neil for tonight. Would've liked to have made it but unfortunately it wasn't to be. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 113
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Garbage, just another 4th class music genre hanging onto Northern Souls coatails, it's down there with

Rare Soul, R & B, Modern, line dancing & Irish jigs................ :thumbsup:

:lol: So what's that you are listening to Chris just oldies :P

As said before these are all Mod classics its the other way around Northern clutching at Mohair suites :D

Social source share

Well it turns out that Mr Boogaloo has dropped a mighty clanger on the Hit the Bongo night on the 24th October. Didn't know I had to apply for a late licence til 2am so Hit the Bongo will be running from 8pm til' 11pm on Friday. Sorry if causes anyone inconvenience. I've spoken to the DJs and they're still happy to spin so we will continue.

So if you hated Latin and you're coming along you get 2 hours less laugh.gif . Also I've reduced the admission to nothing to make up for it :g::(:D

Edited by boogaloo
Social source share

my last show all dedicated at the latin sounds

https://www.divshare.com/download/5585796-175

Fruko e y su tesos "salsa na ma" discos fuentes

Jimmy Sabater "abanil" ml

Michi y su combo "anacaona" discos fuentes

justo Betancourt "catano" fania

La sucesion sonora "pollera colora" antillano

jimmy contreras "soy el rey" suceso

Pete fernandez "having fun" 20th century

Joe Pacheco "ahi boogaloo" metropoli international

Federico y su combo latino "oh negro gato" gilmar

Mario Allison "oh yeaah" discos fuentes

Arthur Sterling "darin's mambo" verve

Joe Bataan "pa monte" fania

Afrosound "ponchito de colores" discos fuentes

Cumbia Siglo "naga pedale" machuca

E.L. Martinez "cumbia cienaguera" discos fuentes

A. Lenes "tabaco mascao" discos fuentes

Climaco Sarmiento "cumbia sabrosa" discos fuentes

Lucho Bermudez "el plinio guzman" fonograma

Lito Barrientos "cumbia en do menor" discos fuentes

jimmy contreras "danza de la chiva" suceso

Mon Rivera & Willie Colon "ya llego" vaya records

La playa sextet "come casabe" delujo

Fania all stars "Smoke" fania

Social source share

my last show all dedicated at the latin sounds

https://www.divshare.com/download/5585796-175

Fruko e y su tesos "salsa na ma" discos fuentes

Jimmy Sabater "abanil" ml

Michi y su combo "anacaona" discos fuentes

justo Betancourt "catano" fania

La sucesion sonora "pollera colora" antillano

jimmy contreras "soy el rey" suceso

Pete fernandez "having fun" 20th century

Joe Pacheco "ahi boogaloo" metropoli international

Federico y su combo latino "oh negro gato" gilmar

Mario Allison "oh yeaah" discos fuentes

Arthur Sterling "darin's mambo" verve

Joe Bataan "pa monte" fania

Afrosound "ponchito de colores" discos fuentes

Cumbia Siglo "naga pedale" machuca

E.L. Martinez "cumbia cienaguera" discos fuentes

A. Lenes "tabaco mascao" discos fuentes

Climaco Sarmiento "cumbia sabrosa" discos fuentes

Lucho Bermudez "el plinio guzman" fonograma

Lito Barrientos "cumbia en do menor" discos fuentes

jimmy contreras "danza de la chiva" suceso

Mon Rivera & Willie Colon "ya llego" vaya records

La playa sextet "come casabe" delujo

Fania all stars "Smoke" fania

Thanks for posting this. Love the mix of Latin sounds. Didn't know some of the Boogaloo - some good stuff here.

Cheers Warren

Social source share

:lol: So what's that you are listening to Chris just oldies :lol:

As said before these are all Mod classics its the other way around Northern clutching at Mohair suites :)

I listen to anything soulful from the 60Ts to present day, my older brother was a Mod in the 60Ts niether he or his mates ever played any Latin, Mambo, Cha-cha, Tango or Shona Tribal. BTW mohair suits were long out of fashion when NS got started. :lol: Seems to me that you can call any genre NS nowadays. :yes:

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

quick one

the refosoul tagging sytem is now built in the player

ie when you play a clip, you can tag it straight from the player - it doesnt interupt the player
(its at teh bottom right of player - just type and press submit"

latin is a great example of how usefull it could be

eg

you can click on the tag to browse/list all

Latin was massive at the 100 club and down south in the 80s as was big city soul which as Dean has already said was evolved from the close affinity of the hispanic and black population of New York.

The Mod scene started to evolve sometime in the late 50s and is still evolving today.
Quite a lot of the Northern soul top 500 was played in Mod clubs up and down the country in the 60s.

Seems quite a few people on here dont know there history.

Alan H laugh.png
Social source share

Guest Goldwax

The Mod scene started to evolve sometime in the late 50s and is still evolving today.

Quite a lot of the Northern soul top 500 was played in Mod clubs up and down the country in the 60s.

Alan H wink.gif

Quite right Alan. Too many thinking it started at the Wheel and fail to look south for the true origins. :lol:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Joe Bataan

Posted info:
New York 60s Latin Soul !

Thanks for posting this classy piece of music. I used to have it on a compilation album but I sold it along with a big batch of comps.
Social source share

Latin was massive at the 100 club and down south in the 80s as was big city soul which as Dean has already said was evolved from the close affinity of the hispanic and black population of New York.

Alan H :lol:

The Mod top 100 by Randy Cozens - a guide to sounds played at Mod clubs in the 60s, (reproduced in the This is the Modern Life book) includes quite a lot of big City soul tracks and El Watusi by Ray Baretto and I don't wanna fuss by Sugar Pie De Santo. ( and a few snaps of a younger Alan Handscombe...)

Just thought I'd mention it wink.gif

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Love all types of Latin music as well as Chicano stuff, which is a whole other ball of wax, but as far as the NY Boogaloo oriented stuff:

1. Ozzaboo-Ozzie Torrens-Decca-Boogaloo in Apt. 41 LP

2. Never Learned to Dance-Harvey Averne-Uptite-I've been playing this since 93-what took people so long!

3. Horsin' Up-Orchestra Harlow-Fania?

4. The Joker-Xavier Cugat-Decca Bang Bang LP

5. Pow Wow-Manny Corchado-Decca-OF COURSE! So massive in Pittsburgh since the late 60s that it got pressed up as "The Fly" by the Mosquitos on Spear records. I know the guy who pressed them up, too. In the "Burgh" they've got just about as many cover-ups as Northern Soul-you can thank Mad Mike Metrovich for that.

Off topic, but there's a nice 3 volume compilation of Mad Mike's Moldies on Norton records available on CD and vinyl-nice packaging with label scans and everything. All sorts of music on there, soul included.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert