Boogaloo

• Replies 113
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

See, that's really good tunes but for me they are totally "Mod". No? Would surprise me to hear those in a Northern room.

Loads of latin tunes are played at Mod/RnB do's but I've been playing Latin at Northern clubs for years now. Tunes such as Manny Corchado, Tony Middleton, Bobby Valentin, Hector Rivera and they go down a stormer. Can't get away with too many but they are being more appreciated outside of the mod scene. Realise they're not to everyone's taste but you could say the same about RnB 6-7 years ago.

Social source share

cloud nine by johnny rivera ace tunes ez

Top tune indeed Ez, I turned up 5 mint copies of this a while back and they sold very, very quickly! Recently found another also mint...£75 inc postage if anyone is interested. Heres the track in refosoul:
Social source share

Loads of latin tunes are played at Mod/RnB do's but I've been playing Latin at Northern clubs for years now. Tunes such as Manny Corchado, Tony Middleton, Bobby Valentin, Hector Rivera and they go down a stormer. Can't get away with too many but they are being more appreciated outside of the mod scene. Realise they're not to everyone's taste but you could say the same about RnB 6-7 years ago.

Like you said each to their own, you can count on my fingers how many Latin tracks i like and its even less RnB. I,m not saying they are shit, just not my bag.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

ron and the embracers

ron and the embracers
you came into my heart
Posted info:
This nice Latin Soul 45 has been played at Northern / 60s venues has it not ? - I believe it is popular on the continent (I was told Spain?)
Social source share

David Coleman - Drown my heart

David Coleman with Hector Rivera
Drown my heart
Posted info:
This nice Latin Soul tune has had the odd play at NS events !
But as stated - This thread is "Do you like latin/boogaloo" and not weather it is accepted as part of the Northern Scene
It which case it is a big YES from me !
Social source share

Joe Bataan - Special Girl

Posted info:
My fave Joe track !! It took me bloody years to find a gold original of this - after having the "uptite" 70s issue
Why are all the really good gold FANIA 45s so hard to find?

Social source share

Joe Bataan - Special Girl

Posted info:
My fave Joe track !! It took me bloody years to find a gold original of this - after having the "uptite" 70s issue
Why are all the really good gold FANIA 45s so hard to find?

Even better is the flip 'Magic Rose' on the Fania release....please post it up Mossy cus I'm useless at it rolleyes.gif
Social source share

One that's been accepted on both Northern and Latin dancefloors for years is David Coleman -Drown my heart in tears- Barry.

favourite of mine is Hector Riviera I love you, I want you, I need you. This has been used as a backing to a northern track -heard butch or Ady play it down the 100club once. The Hector Riviera version is too slow for a dancefloor but it definately floats my boat. one of the few latin things I've kept over the years.

Social source share

Joe Bataan - Magic Rose

Posted info:
I remember Carl Wynne getting this of John Evans (after a visit to Martin Coppels) in the late 80s, when he brought us back everything we asked for - Bobby Valentin etc etc
I let Carl have the gold and I had the uptite 45 - not realizing this was on the flip. And I didn't see another one for 20 years !!!!!!

Quite hard to find the Fania release with 'Magic Rose' on flip, as is the Fania release of 'What good is a castle' with the far superior 'PT 2' that also didn't get included on the flip of the Uptite release.
'Magic Rose' did, however, get released on Uptite, but the artist name is Naatab (Bataan backwards of course) rolleyes.gif
Social source share

One that's been accepted on both Northern and Latin dancefloors for years is David Coleman -Drown my heart in tears- Barry.

favourite of mine is Hector Riviera I love you, I want you, I need you. This has been used as a backing to a northern track -heard butch or Ady play it down the 100club once. The Hector Riviera version is too slow for a dancefloor but it definately floats my boat. one of the few latin things I've kept over the years.

I always played the other side aswell "Sweet Soul Baby" which is nice.

Hectomania is a great LP

Social source share

Quite hard to find the Fania release with 'Magic Rose' on flip, as is the Fania release of 'What good is a castle' with the far superior 'PT 2' that also didn't get included on the flip of the Uptite release.

'Magic Rose' did, however, get released on Uptite, but the artist name is Naatab (Bataan backwards of course) :shades:

Never seen a Magic Rose on uptite - but then I have never put in "Naatab" in the search engine on e bay !!! :rolleyes:

No honestly Mace - I never knew that ....is it the same recording ?

Social source share

Never seen a Magic Rose on uptite - but then I have never put in "Naatab" in the search engine on e bay !!! :shades:

No honestly Mace - I never knew that ....is it the same recording ?

Exactly the same record mate...and don't bother searching for it cus I do regularly :wave:

I picked one up in the States last year and then found one on Richard Domars list when I got home for £9 :lol:

Think Ady Pearce also had one a few years ago but it was long gone when I enquired :rolleyes::huh:

Social source share

frankie nieves
Posted info:
This is off the "Bag of Boogaloo" series - andale 5902 - 3 LPs from the Speed and accociated labels vaults - Dusty Grooves were selling them last year for a few dollars!
Well worth picking all 3 up IMO !!!

Social source share

Monguito Santamaria - Hey Sister - Fania browse mossy clips
Posted info:
And why not - It is a blinder - even better than "use it before you loose it" IMO
Powerful and Soulful !!!!!

Social source share

I always played the other side aswell "Sweet Soul Baby" which is nice.

Hectomania is a great LP

Yeah the flip Sweet soul baby is more what I'd describe as fitting into the 'norm' of a latin tune...used to play it years ago down The Alexandra in Clapham. Play mine of 4Points 7" though.

Social source share

Yeah the flip Sweet soul baby is more what I'd describe as fitting into the 'norm' of a latin tune...used to play it years ago down The Alexandra in Clapham. Play mine of 4Points 7" though.

I used to go to the Alexandra in Clapham late 80s early 90s - It was upstairs - A pub right near Clapham Common if i remember.

And good luck with your Boogaloo night "Boogaloo" :lol:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Just to add to this, most of the boogaloo stuff came about because the young New York Latino's were growing up in Spanish Harlem listening to mambos and the soul music out of Harlem itself. The Ray Pollard vocalised a lot of these things, Kenny Seymour from Little Anthony and the Imperials was the vocalist on the Harvey Averne sides and of course Tony Middleton sang on Spanish Maiden which came from Chuito and the Latin Uniques LP on Speed produced by my good friend Bobby Marin who spent so many hours at the apollo that when I mentioned James Brown, he said he got bored of seeing him there (though he also stated that he could never get tired of watching Jackie Wilson). This fantastic area of soul music will be focused on in an BGP / Ace comp called The Soul Of Spanish Harlem due out in January.

US Fania have an amazing comp of Joe Bataan's soul sides for the label available. This includes tracks from his 'Singing Some Soul' LP, his original demo version of Gypsy Woman and his original take on Continental Square Dance called Latin Soul Square Dance which is earlier, better and only previously available on a very rare promo.

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Streetlamps-An...3626&sr=1-1

Dean

Is Si Cheeba still involved with a proposed SPEED records compilation? I lent him my copy of one he hadn't heard of (Al Gonzalez - I love you too much) a while back. Went to Crossfire with him last weekend but forgot to ask.

I particularly like Joe Bataan. Special girl, Unwed mother and Young, Gifted & Brown being favourites. A great voice

I picked up his Gypsy Woman in about '86 from a local shop I still frequent. Unfortunately I didn't pick up copies of 'I want a chance for romance' and 'Use it before you lose it' that were stocked at the time. Both expensive tunes now when & if they turn up.

Good luck on your new night Warren

Mike

Social source share

I used to go to the Alexandra in Clapham late 80s early 90s - It was upstairs - A pub right near Clapham Common if i remember.

And good luck with your Boogaloo night "Boogaloo" thumbsup.gif

Thanks mate, judging by the response I think it's going to go down a storm. Good thing is that I think 95% of the tunes mentioned on this thread are going to be played. Can't wait.

Social source share

Seems to be a well talked about topic at the moment, I don't know anything really so perhaps you could post up a few tunes, don't think I could take a whole night of it tho unsure.gif

Lenny

lenny get down 2 bidds sat ue here some great latin

hope u have a great nite warren just 2 far 2 travel

from scotland for a nite :)

Social source share

Yeah that was me. We had some great nights down there in the late 80's. Adey, Keb, Val, Clarkie, Guy Hennigan, Tony Smith, Roger Stuart, Brian Rae, Roger Banks, Matt Simpson, Ion & others it was a scream! :)

thumbsup.gif Hope you've got some good memories of those nights.

yes.gif Good luck Warren

Social source share

Hecor Mania on 4 Points is another classic by Hector Rivera. Check it out as it's a great double sider as well. For those who don't know Sweet Soul Baby, I'll post it up later today. Cheers Kev

Social source share

Latin's fine. So is Jazz, Funk, C&W and lots more. but none of them are Northern Soul.

Cal Djader - Soul Sauce (jazz?)

Cut Your Motor Off - Black Nasty (funk?)

Roger Troy - Don't Put The Blame On Me Baby (country?)

Tommy Navaro - cry my life away (Latin?)

Not Northern ?????? and these are just a few

Rick

Social source share

Warren if you make up a cd of your night can I have one please?

Hope you have agreat night!

ATB Steve

I am toying with the idea of doing a CD but depends on work commitments. Send me your details I'm sure I've got of old compilations knocking about.

Cheers Warren

Social source share

Running a 100% latin soul and boogaloo night 'Hit the Bongo' next Friday 24th Oct at Filthy McNastys in London. Now I have to admit you can't get enough Latin but sometimes I do get comments that it's s***** and shouldn't be played on the Northern scene. Do you love it or hate it. If you do love it which tunes float your boat?

Don't like it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Running a 100% latin soul and boogaloo night 'Hit the Bongo' next Friday 24th Oct at Filthy McNastys in London. Now I have to admit you can't get enough Latin but sometimes I do get comments that it's s***** and shouldn't be played on the Northern scene. Do you love it or hate it.

Garbage, just another 4th class music genre hanging onto Northern Souls coatails, it's down there with

Rare Soul, R & B, Modern, line dancing & Irish jigs................ :thumbsup:

Social source share

in general ....i love it...lots played around the mod scene :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest geordiebri

Love it to bits, especially all the Fania late sixties early seventies stuff, Ray Barretto, Tito, Mongo Santamaria, Fania All Stars, .......blah, blah, blah, fantastic!

Social source share

Pow Wow Manny Corchado, Long Version

How available is this please peeps....label, value etc

Heard it at Hipshaker on the IOW in August - Fab tune but the shorter version is

a bit more direct - does anyone have info

You may be on about the flip to "The fly" (pt 2) by the "Mosquitoes" wich is a mess up of Mannys original decca 45 - but still a great mix IMO

Its a bootleg but like you mentioned - You can enjoy the mess ! (Like all latin Soul)

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Thanks Mossy ! Can you tell us who they are ?

yeah baby !

La New Yorkers ..... Joe Cuba........Ray Jay and the Eastsiders............Mongo Santamaria ................,Johnny Rivera........Joey pastrana

post-6465-1224200095_thumb.jpg

post-6465-1224200138_thumb.jpg

post-6465-1224200261_thumb.jpg

post-6465-1224200749_thumb.jpg

post-6465-1224200812_thumb.jpg

post-6465-1224200853_thumb.jpg

All these tunes are a tenner ! (at the most) IMO

So would be "use it before you loose it" - IF THE NORTHERN SOUL SCENE HAD NOT LIKED IT SO MUCH FOR SOME REASON !

(along with Never learned how to dance)

All good New York latin 45s !

45 COLLECTORS ONLY HERE !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Garbage, just another 4th class music genre hanging onto Northern Souls coatails, it's down there with

Rare Soul, R & B, Modern, line dancing & Irish jigs................ :D

AND DONT FORGET JAMAICAN SKA !

also known as "ja 60s soul "

The lads who love this are WANKERS !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!