Belita Woods - Foolish Girl C/up

Tommaso

8 known copies of a 45 that most people don't yet know the identity of...

...normally translates into scores of copies... once the word is out!

Unless this one's a genuine rarity. :(

Who is it then?

Then we'll know for sure!

:lol:

Sean

Maybe but not necessarily

If you remember the Joey De Lorenzo a few yeras ago ..6-7 copies all at one go...largely to DJ'S

None really turned up since as they all came from the same source as a single low quantity find.

Time will tell

Agree... that's why I said 'normally' and 'unless this one's a genuine rarity'.

Sometimes the 'covered' 45 remains genuinely rare and expensive (Maurice McAllister etc.) but more often than not, once the papers peeled away, an abundance of copies turn up.

In my experience, DJ's often cover up records 'because' they are out there.

Everyone knows that... but, love 'em or hate 'em, its still adds to the 'spice' for collectors!

:)

Sean

Social source share

• Replies 109
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest soulmanuk

The one listed on JM's was a strange one...my mate Cliff saw it, and rang him up and said that he would have it please.....John knew nothing about it, or what it was doing on the list......maybe it was something to do with the impending price guide? maybe it's going to be in there???? :) anyway, he didn't have a copy...where did your copy come from John? Mr. Dyson perchance?

Phil.

Glad someone else saw it on JM's site. It was listed at £2000. And as I said soon disappeared.

I expect that finding a copy is considerably harder than finding out who its by.

Edited by soulmanuk
Social source share

I've always loved the challenge of finding out what a cover up is Harry as well BUT I always kept the info to myself in the hope I'd find one and out of respect to the DJ who is playing the cover up, not blab the info or make remarks that hint to what it is (title or artist etc) on a public forum. I read this topic and similiar topics and seen cetain remarks from DJs but if it was their record they wouldn't be too happy. You have to wonder sometimes why the top DJ's and collectors bother to find new stuff when there always someone trying to be clever on a forum :)

Exactly thats what i was getting at chalky, the challenge of finding out, i have been told who it is but by three different sources, with two different names, so the plot thickens :( it was allways a big race to find out who searlings c/ups where :lol::lol:

Social source share

i think the b side is the best side and should be played out more.whenever i seem to catch any

of the guys who have it they always play `foolish girl`. incidentally there is a cd doing the rounds

that has both sides on. not brilliant sound quality but the bootleggers have already had their chance

as this cd is at least a couple of years old and you cant put anything past them

dave

Social source share

i think the b side is the best side and should be played out more.whenever i seem to catch any

of the guys who have it they always play `foolish girl`. incidentally there is a cd doing the rounds

that has both sides on. not brilliant sound quality but the bootleggers have already had their chance

as this cd is at least a couple of years old and you cant put anything past them

dave

the cd is the live recording from the Rocket of Butch's set, thats where the soundfile in refo soul comes from.

Andy always plays the other side, more so that Foolish Girl.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Forgive me if i'm being a dizzy blonde :thumbsup: but theres 8 copys kickin about , and numerous people say they know who it is ! then is it still a cover-up if lots of people know who it is ?????? i THINK i know who it is :wicked::)

Social source share

the cd is the live recording from the Rocket of Butch's set, thats where the soundfile in refo soul comes from.

Andy always plays the other side, more so that Foolish Girl.

Both sides are 'available' on a CD, recorded straight from the record, for a couple of years now. I suspect it was done in good faith, but unfortunately there's always someone who likes to show off what they've 'got' and passes stuff on.

I've no idea who it is, so if some kind person would PM the details to satisfy my curiosity................ :thumbsup:

Social source share

Cover ups massage the egos of the DJ's - nothing else.

What a cheek that they do not give credit to the real talent i.e. artists, writers and producers. And it is a bigger insult when they use the name of another performer - one that is still performing today (indeed, one that I paid good money to see in recent years to boot) - do they pay royalties for the use of the name ?

The bootleg argument is way out the date now too- it does not detract one bit from the value of a record - might stop it been played by the 'big names' - but who cares about that. Time they grew up and just enjoy the music.

Mike

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

On thinking about this the golden years of the cover ups has past, those years when people didn`t have the technology or knowledge of the music as there is now, if a new record turns up now that isn`t known then surely with the amount of knowledge amassed over the past decades, it must be a rare record, and if so then why bother covering it :thumbsup:

Social source share

EIGHT COPIES [at least] covered up, so just how many are there? how long has it been covered? i find it very suprising, that theres eight at least covered, never used to happen eight dj`s with the same cover :thumbsup:

Well I'm afraid those 8 and Butch can spend the evening peeling the c/u labels off!

It's on t'internet for all to see, don't you just love Google!

Social source share

Cover ups massage the egos of the DJ's - nothing else.

What a cheek that they do not give credit to the real talent i.e. artists, writers and producers. And it is a bigger insult when they use the name of another performer - one that is still performing today (indeed, one that I paid good money to see in recent years to boot) - do they pay royalties for the use of the name ?

The bootleg argument is way out the date now too- it does not detract one bit from the value of a record - might stop it been played by the 'big names' - but who cares about that. Time they grew up and just enjoy the music.

Mike

Never a truer word spoken think im gonna buy you a beer when I see you next !

BAZ A :thumbsup:

Social source share

Jesus, Chalky, what a load of crap, a cover up is by it's very essence , there to be discovered.....MANALIVE...i thought you above all people would agree with that ethos..............

Brett F.........So disappointed

I think if you re read it Brett I agree that I love the challenge of trying to find out what a cover up is but I keep any info I might have/get etc to myself and not blab it all over a public forum. If you had a record covered up, one you'd spent a lot of money on you'd be none to pleased if it was uncovered on a forum.

And as for the crap about not giving the real artist the credit....the real artist would probably never know his or her record is being played and it's hardly gonna make much difference to their bank balance is it. Do those that pay money for records give a percentage to the artist out of respect and to give them some recognition....like hell they do :D:lol: I bet the majority of those listening, dancing to and buying records couldn't give sh*t about artist recognition ph34r.gif

Edited by chalky
Social source share

We'll enjoy one next week at the Coachman when Pete Foster entertains us with his 'exclusives' an 'cover ups' :D

Lofty (my 'cover up' name)

ah cant do next week Mike having a rest the wifes off to see oasis and im on baby sitter duty lol,its cans in after rugby and ultimate fighting on sentanna catch up with you adam and tommo soon mate.

BAZ A

Social source share

I think this thread proves just why cover ups are an essential and fantastic part of Northern Soul, long may they continue although as Harry says probably much more difficult to find stuff worthy of covering now. Although Mr Dobson and Mr Dyson seem to still be able to find them, maybe why they should be seen as no 1 and no 2 on the "proper" scene these days.

Mick H played 2 top quality c/u's at Soul Revolution and it made me tingle knowing people still want to find stuff like that and work with it. The original artist argument just doesn't wash with vinyl, I assume if you are making that statement you buy all the re-issue CD's that are coming out these days?

ALthough should probably say thats just my opinion about the hypothetical position of the two Mr D's (even though its a fact IMO :D ) before I get the usual slating and everyone saying there are lots of people can do just as well!

Social source share

I meant to say 'Cover ups massage the egos of the DJ's (and their lap dogs) - nothing else. .... smile.gif:lol::lol::D

Mike

You didnt answer my question (which admittedly was a general one rather than direct to you, but you do seem keen to continue the debate) do you buy all the re-issue CD's that are around at moment, Kent, Grapevine, Soulscape and other legit reissues?

Social source share

So why cover it up! If it's rare then f*** me it's rare......how many cover ups have you.? I have the Fondells on Pzazz, not many folks have that, but i cannot see the point in covering things up in the modern world, a rare record will always be a rare record................... folks will always track these things down in the end......

Simple really Brett.

The point 30 years ago was to stop the bootleggers getting them but now it's to stop the little people getting them, i/e us....

Like the new avatar, looks familiar :D

Social source share

it canadian .......

Well I didn't get any PMs telling me what it is from those who know, but several asking me what it is!

It's true identity is now in the public domain and can be found on two internet sites, both UK based.

Perhaps someone on here who actually owns the record might 'uncover' it? Come on you know you want to!

(The catalogue number is 1003 and it's from 1969)

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Simple really Brett.

The point 30 years ago was to stop the bootleggers getting them but now it's to stop the little people getting them, i/e us....

Like the new avatar, looks familiar :D

Martin that is almost more an EMS type Northern comment I would suggest!! tongue.gif

I would actually suggest given forums high publicity for any hot new item, and the ease of MP3's these days the chances of vinyl carvers appearing are more likely than a Soussain boot, and therefore they are more necessary now, although agree not that easy to find records that should be covered up.

I dont often disagree with Mr Franklin but not with you on this one old man, was going to use my usual you either get it or you dont but wouldnt want you assaulting me with a toilet brush at next years essence Brett! :lol: :lol:

PS I dont know what the record is and quite like that in a perverse sort of way

PPS I may not be the best person to comment on this as I covered up a Big Maybelle record way back in the day for Colin Law to play, he got lots of stick for covering up a record everyone would know and I sneaked out the side door leaving him to take the stick. It was 1982 and we were fresh faced youths, honest.

Social source share

You didnt answer my question (which admittedly was a general one rather than direct to you, but you do seem keen to continue the debate) do you buy all the re-issue CD's that are around at moment, Kent, Grapevine, Soulscape and other legit reissues?

Well I didn't answer your question because I had no idea you were asking me one - you didn't quote my original post so I had no idea that .......

'The original artist argument just doesn't wash with vinyl, I assume if you are making that statement you buy all the re-issue CD's that are coming out these days?'

.....was aimed at me and in any case I don't understand the question unsure.gif

however if you are asking me ..'do you buy all the re-issue CD's that are around at moment, Kent, Grapevine, Soulscape and other legit reissues?'

.....the answer is NO but that is because I can't afford to buy EVERY CD I want, I do buy a fair proportion - particualry Kent and I go to great lengths to support the output of of all of the Grapevine , Soulscape, Selecta family of labels on both vinyl and CD - why I even got a credit on one :D

....f**K me - 52 years old and I'm still arguing the toss about cover ups :lol:

Mike

Social source share

Martin that is almost more an EMS type Northern comment I would suggest!! tongue.gif

I would actually suggest given forums high publicity for any hot new item, and the ease of MP3's these days the chances of vinyl carvers appearing are more likely than a Soussain boot, and therefore they are more necessary now, although agree not that easy to find records that should be covered up.

I dont often disagree with Mr Franklin but not with you on this one old man, was going to use my usual you either get it or you dont but wouldnt want you assaulting me with a toilet brush at next years essence Brett! :lol::lol:

PS I dont know what the record is and quite like that in a perverse sort of way

PPS I may not be the best person to comment on this as I covered up a Big Maybelle record way back in the day for Colin Law to play, he got lots of stick for covering up a record everyone would know and I sneaked out the side door leaving him to take the stick. It was 1982 and we were fresh faced youths, honest.

Guess I've been reading too many of your posts on there Jock :lol:

Whole concept of cover up's is a bit pointless now really. Think they're just penis extentions for a certain few so called top DJ's to be honest (another EMSism? :D ).

Remember when Gene Toones was still covered up way back in the early 80s & I asked a DJ if he could play it. He spat the dummy out big style & said he'd get me thrown out of the venue if I told anyone but didn't realise I worked for the promoters. He calmed down later on & asked me how I knew what it was & I told him that the last time he played it you could see through the paper he'd covered it with :lol:

Social source share

Wow you "hounds" have been really clever finding out who this is........but I am afraid to say this record hasn't been such a big secret as some of you like to think. Love the great big piece of detective work on here guys - but Tim Brown actually reviewed it in Manifesto about 3-4 years ago uncovered.....if you'd been dutifully reading his column like good boys and girls......you could have saved yourself a lot of time and efort........anyway keep googling away laugh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert