Tibute Or Insult

Gogger

went shopping with the wife the other day, and all of a sudden i hear jackie wilson/i get the sweetest feeling playing over the shops sound system, just wondered has this become an everyday standered,i know its been in the charts a few times,but this was one of the early songs that got me into soul and northern,anybody think it is a boring standered or a classic,for me always a classic.surley to good for muzak.

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Tibute Or Insult, does jackie wilson deserve better ?

I would prefer to give him a tribute, not sure what a tibute is but is sounds painful.

Haha...beat me to it...the standard of spelling is shocking around these parts laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

Didn't one of Atomic Kitten do it? Its on one of my little girl's CDs I think. Obviously awful rolleyes.gif

Oops sorry, when i read insult I thought you meant another version? Why would playing the original be an insult?

Edited by Reg
Social source share

thumbup.gif

I wouldn't know that are they from the X factor or is that and after shave lotion.

Nah...I think you're getting them mixed up with 'Hi Karate' the boy band who won the Japanese version of 'Pop Idol'

Social source share

Guest the dukester

went shopping with the wife the other day, and all of a sudden i hear jackie wilson/i get the sweetest feeling playing over the shops sound system, just wondered has this become an everyday standered,i know its been in the charts a few times,but this was one of the early songs that got me into soul and northern,anybody think it is a boring standered or a classic,for me always a classic.surley to good for muzak.

The more Jackie Wilson the better for me, dont matter where I hear it !!

Like you said was one of the songs that introuduced many to soul and the Northern scene, your gonna get comments like old, played out, boring, had its day, but I think its a personal thing and although there is a lot of the "lets move on movement" most soul journeys for these guys started with songs like this, which like you say is a Classic and always will be.

"Never for the sake of peace and quiet deny your convictions." wink.gif

Social source share

Like you said was one of the songs that introuduced many to soul and the Northern scene, your gonna get comments like old, played out, boring, had its day, but I think its a personal thing and although there is a lot of the "lets move on movement" most soul journeys for these guys started with songs like this, which like you say is a Classic and always will be.

"Never for the sake of peace and quiet deny your convictions." wink.gif

You're right but The Sweetest Feeling is a world recognised hit...not just something known to soulies like his more obscure records...I don't see the fact of it being played in a shopping centre as strange...no more than if I heard say Marvin Gayes What's Going On

Social source share

You're right but The Sweetest Feeling is a world recognised hit...not just something known to soulies like his more obscure records...I don't see the fact of it being played in a shopping centre as strange...no more than if I heard say Marvin Gayes What's Going On

Isn't that an insult to the shoppers' tastes?? All the shoppers may be into soul? The Shop manager/ess maybe into soul? You never know!

Never forget the time on top of the pops, they put up a picture of Jockie Wilson the darts player. Very funny!!

P :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

post-13983-1223660734_thumb.jpg

Absolutely STILL one of the finest moments in soul history.......................end of. :D

Totally agree! One of the all time greats no matter how popular the song got it still oozes class from every groove. :thumbup: Would have made my day hearing that walking around some boring old shopping centre. :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

post-13983-1223660734_thumb.jpg

Absolutely STILL one of the finest moments in soul history.......................end of. :thumbup:

great tune ........but ERMA FRANKLYNS version brill just brill :lol:

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

great tune ........but ERMA FRANKLYNS version brill just brill :lol:
I bought a CD because it had Erma Franklin's version on it, when I got it home it didn't, it had Jackie's version.

Oh well.

That means I've got it 6 times now...

...and it's not even my favourite Jackie Wilson track. :thumbup:

Social source share

Errr! what's a shopping centre????? :thumbup:

It's where they play that norman sole stuff.

I must admit I had to stop in a very small shopping centre in pompey last week when I heard "You're Gonna Love My Baby" playing. I waited around for the next track,................. totally forgettable pop stuff. :lol:

Paul

Social source share

did i ever tell you my Jackie Wilson story?... No?...

Well,one day when i was a young teenager,me mam sez "Kev gerroff down t'shops and fetch a Pork pie t'biggest int shop".

My mother was common as muck,never used comma's and spoke in a most vulgar fashion.

"Of course Mother dearest,although i shall need money to complete the transaction.I will be using the omnibus,No61."

"'Ere, that shud be enuff and keepbloody change tha alluss duz."

Before purchasing said Pork Pie,i quickly calculated,using mathematics,that i would have enough to buy a vinyl recording from Norman Daynes which was just down the High Street.

There at the record emporium i purchased Jackie Wison's "I get that sweetest feeling",then to the Butcher's to choose the family lunch.

Pork pies at that time were served from the oven,the smell filling my nostrils, my mouth yearning to sample the offal pie wrapped in fatty pastry.

I waited then at the omnibus stop,with the intention of travelling home before said Pie had cooled.

I placed the hot Pie on top of Jackie,so as not to burn my fingers...........

When i arrived at my abode,the anticipation was killing me...A PORK PIE FOR LUNCH!!,BUT FIRST TO THE GRAMAPHONE,A FIRST PLAY OF JACKIE!!!!.

Jackie Wilson was warped,sorry the record was warped and never played.

"Bollocks",said i.

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Love the track to bits but what does pee me off is when

nearly every radio station thinks he only ever made 3 records;

Reet Petite, Sweetest Feeling & Higher and Higher! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

...nearly every radio station thinks he only ever made 3 records;

Reet Petite, Sweetest Feeling & Higher and Higher! :)

That about sums it up doesn't it? The dire, know-nothing sodding laziness of the majority of radio DJs who all seem to take their cue from Radio One C.1967-1972! If they ever did play a record by Ann Peebles it would be "I Can't Stand The Rain", because it sneaked into their precious little pop chart. (They'd never dare play "I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down" - unless it's Paul Young's version! - for fear of causing a revolution in mainstream listening taste and driving themselves out of a job!)

"...Sweetest Feeling" is a superb record and still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I hear it. I suppose we should all be grateful that it charted here though, as an example to the masses of the timeless uplifting qualities found in real SOUL music!

What a pity records like Jeff Perry's "Love Don't Come No Stronger" didn't make it into the UK charts - though perhaps it's just as well in the long run... :lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

That about sums it up doesn't it? The dire, know-nothing sodding laziness of the majority of radio DJs who all seem to take their cue from Radio One C.1967-1972! If they ever did play a record by Ann Peebles it would be "I Can't Stand The Rain", because it sneaked into their precious little pop chart. (They'd never dare play "I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down" - unless it's Paul Young's version! - for fear of causing a revolution in mainstream listening taste and driving themselves out of a job!)

"...Sweetest Feeling" is a superb record and still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I hear it. I suppose we should all be grateful that it charted here though, as an example to the masses of the timeless uplifting qualities found in real SOUL music!

What a pity records like Jeff Perry's "Love Don't Come No Stronger" didn't make it into the UK charts - though perhaps it's just as well in the long run... :lol:

TO BE HONEST :) CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I HEARD PLAYHOUSE BY PAUL YOUNG ON MAINSTREAM RADIO.

BEST BRI.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

TO BE HONEST :) CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I HEARD PLAYHOUSE BY PAUL YOUNG ON MAINSTREAM RADIO.

BEST BRI.

It hardly matters does it, since Paul Young and his ilk always seem to get the money and poor old Ann Peebles gets the "respect". Big deal.

Social source share

As with lots of his releases great double sider, :)

Got to agree, was the other side, Nothing but blue skys, great track, you know i read somewhere JW was performing in the Uk the sound system went down,and he belted out just as good in fact better while they fixed the kit, if anyone can firm this up where when great,

Regards Mall

Social source share

Love the track to bits but what does pee me off is when

nearly every radio station thinks he only ever made 3 records;

Reet Petite, Sweetest Feeling & Higher and Higher! :)

How true Brian,but dont you think these radio stations all sound the same,its that bad you have to listen to there jingles to know what station your on,I think they all have 5 or 6 Cds between them all.

Kev :lol:

Edited by good angel
Social source share

Jackie Wilson in my opinion is the greatest male soul singer that ever walked the plant earth.

He could sing everything, from deep soul to dance soul. His recordings are pretty amazing and probably the most consistant throughout his career.

Some of his duets are amazing and while Sweetest Feeling is prehaps his most played/well known recording if I had to choose one that does me up everytime then spin his Beautiful Day.......it is not only a brilliant record it makes you me feel glad to be alive.

I doubt whether I will ever come across an artist that ticks all the boxes for me, although quite a few have come close, but for me JACKIE WILSON IS THE MAN ?

The Man In Black :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert