Tamla Motown Music For Pleasure Albums

Swifty

How many different Albums on MFP (Motown Related) are there ?

I have a few , Marvin Gaye/Mary Wells/Smokey/Stevie/Isleys but

I pressume there are a few more.

Did all/most contain unissued tracks?

Are they still a reasonable price to buy?

Are any of them now rare?

Cheers

Swifty

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks mate thumbsup.gif , didn't realise it had been covered before, any idea what sort of prices they fetch

as wouldn't mind collecting the lot at some point

Cheers

Swifty

Best to try charity shops / car boots first , most can be found that way .Don't miss the Jimmy Ruffin one which includes some great unissued sides like " Kickin ' stones " etc .Best,Eddie

Social source share

On the Sounds Superb (70's) label I think only the Kiki Dee and Jimmy Ruffin releases contained previously unissued tracks.

MFP (red label late 60's early 70's) had unreleased tracks on the Contours & Isley Brothers (My Love Is Your love) L.Ps.

Starline (1960's) had 4 releases: Marv Johnson, Mary Wells & 2 Isley Brothers (both Isleys full of unissued gems)

The Marvin Gaye 'Sounds Superb' orange cover that bigsoulman talks about is the better cover of 2 releases by him (both contain the same tracks).

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

i collected them in the 80s,still got all the ones mentioned,i think one of martha reeves is live and really good from an early motown angle,i would recommend getting these together as usually they are in good nick and reasonable £5-8 and good value and refernce,mary wells has "when im gone" kiki dee "ill try something new",isleys "your love " quite a good call

regards doog

Great tracks, previously unreleased anywhere else... EXCEPT the Mary Wells, 'When I'm Gone' is on her Motown L.P 'Vintage Stock'

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I've got one on mfp called 'Motown Magic' from about 1979 i think. It's a bit strange really, they seem to have gone for oddities like The Onion Song and The Stranger and alternative versions like The Supremes doing Heatwave and Smokey Robinson doing Heard It Through The Grapevine. Compiled by Roger St. Pierre of Disco International. Maybe they couldn't get the moe popular stuff under license which makes them a bit more inventive?

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

The Sharon Davis book "Motown: The history" (late 80s/early 90s, I'd guess) lists them all, with release dates, as well as the Regal Starline and other odd releases. It's well worth getting if you see it.

Nick

Is that the large format softback? I think its earlier than that if it is, around 83. If I wasn't in the middle of moving house I'd go and look.

Social source share

Is that the large format softback? I think its earlier than that if it is, around 83. If I wasn't in the middle of moving house I'd go and look.

/quote]

My copy is hardback and early 80's, has a printing mistake in the discography, towards the end some listings not there but replaced by previous pages!!! Are they all like that??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert