Value Please? Popcorn Wylie

• Replies 7
  • Views 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Anyone have any idea about a genuine price for this LP?

Cheers, Chris.

Hi Chris, I picked up a demo copy about 15 years ago for £15, and then I found an issue about 8 years ago for £15, I would value you it today at about £30, cracking album, McKinley Jackson at his finest.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

friend of mine gave me a demo of this last year, on the few occasions promoters have asked me to play a few tunes ive played the track "how did i lose you" to good reception, prior to my mate giving me his copy i searched for this album for 3 years without finding one

i love wylie's photo on the cover

Social source share

Guest mel brat

The Popcorn Wylie album being part of the mass exodus of Detroit artists to the ABC label (Lamont Dozier, Angelo Bond etc.) in 1974-5, following the successful Four Tops signing to ABC/Dunhill, presumably.

I remember "Lost Time" in particular blowing us away back in '75, as it had similar haunting qualities to "Rosemary What Happened (inst)", if a little slower! I still love it. (I often used to start my tapes off with "Lost Time" as I thought the title was an appropriate lead-in, and it segued nicely into Lou Courtney's "Somebody New Is Loving On You"...)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Popcorn Wylie album being part of the mass exodus of Detroit artists to the ABC label (Lamont Dozier, Angelo Bond etc.) in 1974-5, following the successful Four Tops signing to ABC/Dunhill, presumably.

I remember "Lost Time" in particular blowing us away back in '75, as it had similar haunting qualities to "Rosemary What Happened (inst)", if a little slower! I still love it. (I often used to start my tapes off with "Lost Time" as I thought the title was an appropriate lead-in, and it segued nicely into Lou Courtney's "Somebody New Is Loving On You"...)

I seem to recall that the single of 'Lost Time' is either a different mix to the album or, very possibly, a different version altogether?

I think, actually, that Lamont Dozier was instrumental in getting most of these Detroiters on ABC rather than the Tops. They'd already been on Dunhill for a couple of years before all those Invictus-related named pitched up there.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert