Missing Tmg Demo's

Becket

Now here's a thing! Been collecting UK Motown nearly all my life (and I ain't a youngster anymore?)

Why no TMG 525 R/W or TMG 755 G/W and there are a few other later ones I believe. Even Mick Smith has never seen a 525 and I reckon a 755. Had them all a few years ago BUT never these. ALSO; some peeps reckon 514 was a R/W credited to the Detroit Spinners and not just the Spinners. Not sure of this as I have 523 R/W as Spinners and sold my 523 R/W Detroit Spinners (diff release dates on these); so no real reason to make the same mistake earlier with 514 I think?

What about MW5002 Demo [orig release]; never seen a proper "A" demo of this. I have a factory sticker demo and have seen white single sided demo / test press with release sheet {stating problem with label production} so maybe this was the problem?

I am sure there are other UK Motown related labels with missing demo's - SO TELL ME ABOUT THEM.

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest s0ul45

Becket, I think that your analysis of the missing tmg's is accurate. I'm convinced there is no TMG514 attributed to the DETROIT Spinners. Every demo and issue I have ever seen lists The Spinners as the artists. I'd also agree with Tedsoul's opinion about 525.

There are also one or two other anomalies that puzzle me.

Why is TMG 867 a black demo when the G&W demos officially end with 868?

How many A sided demo's such as TMG 692 exist with both sides shown as the promotional side?

Why is TMG786 stamped in the deadwax of the Rare Earth single on the label of the same name and yet never issued on the Tamla Motown label itself?

It has already been suggested that maybe I should get a life!!

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Wasn't there a suggestion that The Spinners had 'Detroit' added for the UK market as there was a UK (folk?) band of the same name, so it was changed to avoid confusion? Perhaps the change came between 514 and 523?

Social source share

Wasn't there a suggestion that The Spinners had 'Detroit' added for the UK market as there was a UK (folk?) band of the same name, so it was changed to avoid confusion? Perhaps the change came between 514 and 523?

Ive also heard this too. Apparantly some people in 1965 were confused :thumbup:

also no G&W demos of "it's a shame" - it was just rushed out over here, and whilst there may have been some promotional copies (issues given away), there are no "demonstration" copies

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Ive also heard this too. Apparantly some people in 1965 were confused :rolleyes:

No surprise at any possible name conflict as there was indeed a popular folk group named The Spinners in the sixties, I remember they were on TV quite a lot. (Unfortunately!) smile.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

its nice to find some more tmg train spotters like me, :thumbsup::P

i have tmg-720 green/white demo,

r.d taylor,back street,uk rare-earth demo with tmg-786 stamped in the run-out,

tmg-876 black/silver demo,

but the one that has eluded me for years and years is tmg-885,willie hutch,tell me why has our love turned cold,i heard a rumour a few years ago that there were some copys around with white labels with hand written credits on plus it had tmg-885 stamped in the run-out,???,any help would be great, :wicked:ph34r.gif

im sure tmg-885 got a usa release, :)ph34r.gif

ps-ive never seen tmg 525 red/white demo.

Edited by de-to
Social source share

the story of the Spinners / Detroit is correct, think about it they even look and sound alike, :) , Actuallt it was in the early days when Motown was breaking in this country. Not too sure but htink it was Dave Godin's suggestion to change it.

With regard to the demo's perhaps kev Roberts knows,I understand he has the full set of both issue and demo. :thumbsup:

WESTY :wicked:

Social source share

No surprise at any possible name conflict as there was indeed a popular folk group named The Spinners in the sixties, I remember they were on TV quite a lot. (Unfortunately!) :rolleyes:

I remeber that an early (Motown Based) Spinners track got a release on Australian Pye, presumably because the Australian company "assumed" it was a new release by the UK Pye group. - So it wasn't just the public who were confused, Even PYE thought it was "Their Group"

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert