Soul Choons That You've Forgotten For Years But You Still Love?

Mattfox

• Replies 68
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I remember a time when it was not interesting to buy a rare 45 or lp ... it was an awesome moment when I used to walk to my record dealer downtown with a smile in my face cause I was excited to spend all my hard earned money for vinyls (nobody could understand this way of living)! we used to talk about records while chilling & drinking a cup of coffee in his shop. I digged & I bought some of these black gold nuggets (most of them were expensive - meanwhile they are cheapies), I went home & and started listening to my brand new records. I used to dance in my flat to johnnie taylor, curtis mayfield & loads more - and when some friends used to came over to visit me, I played my latest choons that I discovered...it was like a flu - my friends felt the same way after contaminating them with the love of music...and noone was interested in the price and rarity!!! we had a good time...still we have a good time :ohmy:

one of the most important choons of this time: David Ruffin - Walk Away From Love !!!

cheers, Matt

btw. I also remember that I told my girlfriend (meanwhile nearly ex-wife :thumbsup: ) you can do everything to me: hit me, bite me, blame me - but after all you have to buy me a record and I won't talk about our fights anymore and I will forgive you all your sins :lol: - and she did! twice...then it was too expensive to fight each other :P

these days when I listen to these kinda records my memories start livin' ... what a great side effect!!!

Agreed Matt, David Ruffin still sounds as brilliant as it ever did.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Heres a couple you never hear any more:-

Azie Mortimer `You cant take it away` on Okeh

Sandra Richardson `Stay here with me` on Intersoul.

The Bobby Hutton Track should be a absolute monster where ever you play it!!!!

Bobby Hutton "It's All Been Said Before" is a monster to me!

Sandra Richardson "stay here with me" why ho why ain't this played out just right for the dance floor now :thumbsup:

Steve J

Social source share

Gene Chandler - Dont Have to be Lying Babe pt 1- Curtom 1972

Saw this on E-bay the other Week and had forgotten all about it , I think last time I heard this

was in the old days at Cleethorpes - Class Tune IMO , does this still get played ??

Cheers

Swifty

P.S. and my copy arrived this morning (but dont tell the Missus!), well chuffed !

Social source share

You cant beat The Incredibles - I cant get over losing your love :thumbsup: and The Stagemasters - baby i'm here just to love you :ohmy: dont hear them ever (well i dont unless i play em :lol: ) xxx

Social source share

Sold off most of my 45s, but still have the odd one thats was too hard to let go including Mack Simmons Turning Point.

Also whilst sorting out some left over albumn, came across the RARE STAMPS lp (jjb & sm), put it on and must admit every soul lover should have this, real Detroit quality.

Ed

Mack Simmons - Turning Point,great tune always seemed to be played alongside Nate Evans - This time with feeling :thumbsup:

Edited by 22ndsoul
Social source share

Did you get this from me when you had the rest on aproval Toady?....memory somewhat faded but I wrote them down at the time...lol

no picked this up from oxfam about a year ago it was so lonely sitting there it begged me to buy it and give it a good home @£2.99 :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest nomad

no picked this up from oxfam about a year ago it was so lonely sitting there it begged me to buy it and give it a good home @£2.99 :lol:

You always were a lucky bar steward......good for you mate. We must be due for another meet up. Are you going to St Ives in May? Last years was a corker..Dave Hayden is doing good things in Cambs, that well known Oasis in a soul less desert :thumbsup::ohmy:

Social source share

Isley Brothers: If you were there (3+3 Lp) .......forgot what a fantastic choon this is...

lovely little dancer...even I prefer the version of Ace Spectrum! I've totally forgotten about this Isley Brothers' release! good choice :thumbsup:

Edited by mattfox
Social source share

Great thread, when I was still at school as a 13 / 14 year old, I spent my dinner money on a few albums which I played that much that I practically wore them out, the LP's where:-

Creative Source on Sussex and the tracks that ticked all the boxes where "You're too good too be true" and "Lovesville".

American Gypsy - BTM with the AWESOME track 10,000 miles.

The Soul Children - Friction on Stax, every track a gem including "We're getting too close" which is gaining some spins.

The Hutchinson Sisters (The Emotions) - Sunbeam on CBS, again I love every track.

Regards,

Alan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert