• Replies 52
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

My nominations to kick this off : Jesse Davis - Room for me , Gene McDaniels - Walk with a winner .Not saying they're not good , just that the singer sounds white to me .Best ,Eddie

Um, I believe that Jesse Davis actually IS white, Ed...

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

how about a white bloke with a black backing group with a white backing band on a white mans label paid for by a black blokes money thread :lol:

chris

E.J & THE ECHOS.....black singer,white band :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

yep, he's black :lol: some pictures on Dave Flynns site and think he has his own web site??? Still singing etc I think.

dave flynns white ain't he? :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

um i believe hes black :lol: unless hes got a stand in on his picture sleeves

Um I believe you're right, smartarse...

I was getting my Jesse Davises mixed up. The one I was thinking of (who I thought was the one that Eddie was referring to) was actually Native American. I didn't realise there were two - well, it tuns out there's actually three in music, but never mind - especially as Eddie's Jesse sounds like the one that I had in mind.

I stand corrected.

Social source share

Sue Lynn - Don'r Pity Me

Malc Burton

OOPS - DAB !! WRONG TOPIC SECTION ..........

In respect of Black artists sounding " white " , I thought upon first hearing " IALY " , that Dean Courtney was , as the vocal phrasing / style was akin to Len Barry ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I agree with Ken that a recurrent obsession with race is slightly distasteful, but seeing as the US record business has always been obsessed with the issue there is no doubt that the topic holds a morbid fascination. I'm surprised that contributors on the other thread on white artists could mistake Tony Middleton for a caucasian: to me he's always sounded very black, no matter what genre he was singing in. "Spanish Maiden" in particular harnesses a tremendously soulful vocal approach.

On this subject I must say that I was amazed to find out that Joe Phillips on Omen was a black guy: one of The Jones Brothers, Pentagons etc. His Marshall Lieb-produced Omen singles are amazing Wall of Sound efforts where he manages to sound like the perfect hybrid of Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield.

Social source share

Um I believe you're right, smartarse...

I was getting my Jesse Davises mixed up. The one I was thinking of (who I thought was the one that Eddie was referring to) was actually Native American. I didn't realise there were two - well, it tuns out there's actually three in music, but never mind - especially as Eddie's Jesse sounds like the one that I had in mind.

I stand corrected.

Tone I think you are thinking of Jesse Ed Davis, he can be seen playing lead with Taj Mahal when they do A Lot Of Love on Rock n Roll Circus

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Q. What do you get if you cross George Formby with Eddie Murphy?

A. "Turned out nice again, you motherfcuker" ...

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif:lol:biggrin.gif:D

Social source share

How about: Shirley Bassey-Don't Take the Lovers From the World-UA

I've got to disagree on Clara Ward. The fuzz guitars definitely pull her out of the church straight away but her voice still sounds very rootsy. Verve really had access to some amazing musicians to play on all those sessions. Some of the top jazz guys are playing on Howard Tate's LP, Howard Guyton's single and so many others. Tight musicianship on all that Verve stuff. Creed Taylor at work.

But for white sounding black vocals, my all time favorite is Jesse Davis "Gonna Hang on in There Girl" on Era. I love the way he sings "I'm well prepayrrred for the task!" I must crank that song up in my car at least three to four times a week. Absolutely can't get enough of that track.

-J.

But to illustrate the point of the thread-you MUST watch this:

">
Social source share

If only all their artists had released there records with picture sleeves it would have put an end to all this fuss.

Well, with these two there is no doubt

Here's the Mamie Lee LP ...

post-4623-1223646865_thumb.jpg

... and on a Hard drive somewhere I have a private photo of Tobbi Bowe , also a black artist.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert