• Replies 37
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Andy Kempster

Not that i know of andy, think searling played it from an acetate biggrin.gif

yeah, i've got it on a cd but not heard of it on vinyl.

Social source share

Not saying your wrong trev, but he played it as HERMAN HITSON got an old northern noise with his playlist in with it as herman hitson in the listing ohmy.gif

agree - was there when he played it and remember himannouncing it as HH. Mark Freeman will probably be able to confirm this as sure he will have on one of his wigan tapes :wave:

both NE and HH almost sound the same to me anyway :thumbsup: what cd is HH on? only ever heard a very rough version on mp3.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

agree - was there when he played it and remember himannouncing it as HH. Mark Freeman will probably be able to confirm this as sure he will have on one of his wigan tapes wink.gif

both NE and HH almost sound the same to me anyway :thumbsup: what cd is HH on? only ever heard a very rough version on mp3.

i've got it on "Rare & Unreleased Georgia Soul (1961-1976)", think its a kev roberts jobbie, but cant remember

Social source share

so didn`t searling know who it was then, seems strange to cover an acetate, i know he did it with little ann simply because he didn`t know who the artist was at the time, wonder if this was the same case then? :thumbsup:

Hi Harry

I've seen the offending article. It's an Atlantic vinyl test pressing rather than an acetate: Atlantic logo, laminated white label, neatly typed credits and recording dates. I think James Trouble has or has had another Nate Adams Atlantic TP: the instrumental of Herman Hitson's "Yes You Did": I think he may have got that off Sam. Maybe James can confirm? That's from the same session as his released Atlantic 45, "Why Is It Taking So Long", which is a great cheapie if you don't know it. As to why Richard covered it up, I can only speculate that it was at the insistence of his supplier, presumably John Anderson. Many of these Atlantic TPs are not one-offs, and that would provide a perfectly logical reason to cover this one up.

The Herman Hitson version released on CD a few years ago is quite different, definitely a different band take and a much rawer, looser version of the song. It seems to have been producer Johnny Brantley's method to have as many of his stable of artists record as many versions of the songs of his main songwriters, Lewis, Farmer & Lewis as possible. Maybe there are further takes of "Love Slipped Through..." or "You Don't Mean It" by the likes of Lee Moses waiting to be found on shelves somewhere. Here's hoping!

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Hi Harry

I've seen the offending article. It's an Atlantic vinyl test pressing rather than an acetate: Atlantic logo, laminated white label, neatly typed credits and recording dates. I think James Trouble has or has had another Nate Adams Atlantic TP: the instrumental of Herman Hitson's "Yes You Did": I think he may have got that off Sam. Maybe James can confirm? That's from the same session as his released Atlantic 45, "Why Is It Taking So Long", which is a great cheapie if you don't know it. As to why Richard covered it up, I can only speculate that it was at the insistence of his supplier, presumably John Anderson. Many of these Atlantic TPs are not one-offs, and that would provide a perfectly logical reason to cover this one up.

The Herman Hitson version released on CD a few years ago is quite different, definitely a different band take and a much rawer, looser version of the song. It seems to have been producer Johnny Brantley's method to have as many of his stable of artists record as many versions of the songs of his main songwriters, Lewis, Farmer & Lewis as possible. Maybe there are further takes of "Love Slipped Through..." or "You Don't Mean It" by the likes of Lee Moses waiting to be found on shelves somewhere. Here's hoping!

Thanks for that gareth very intresting, this clears a few things up for me, as i was under the understanding it was a acetate, and not a TP never actually saw richards copy at the time so as you say this is a logical reason as to why he covered it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Now i`m verrrrry confused :thumbup::lol: this is totally different to the clip i posted, out of refosoul earlier-REGARDS A VERY CONFUSED MR CROSBY :)

thats the version i was referring to in the first post, didnt realise there were more

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hi Harry

I think James Trouble has or has had another Nate Adams Atlantic TP: the instrumental of Herman Hitson's "Yes You Did": I think he may have got that off Sam. Maybe James can confirm? That's from the same session as his released Atlantic 45, "Why Is It Taking So Long", which is a great cheapie if you don't know it. As to why Richard covered it up, I can only speculate that it was at the insistence of his supplier, presumably John Anderson. Many of these Atlantic TPs are not one-offs, and that would provide a perfectly logical reason to cover this one up.

It's Richard Searling's old copy (so I'm told but I've never met the man), via a Ion from Brighton who had had it for an age, I believe.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Hi Harry

I've had that Nate Adams for nearly 20 years in fact I cut 3 or 4 of those for people in the late 90's so they are there somewhere. Proper metal acetates they were :) I never had the record but I had it recorded directly off it.

Social source share

I've had that Nate Adams for nearly 20 years in fact I cut 3 or 4 of those for people in the late 90's so they are there somewhere. Proper metal acetates they were :) I never had the record but I had it recorded directly off it.

Hi Pete

no doubt genuine metalwork for this exists, but the copy I saw was a totally authentic Atlantic vinyl test pressing and the timing would have predated you getting dubs made. It would be interesting if James could describe his version of "Yes You Did": acetate or test pressing?

Social source share

Hi Pete

no doubt genuine metalwork for this exists, but the copy I saw was a totally authentic Atlantic vinyl test pressing and the timing would have predated you getting dubs made. It would be interesting if James could describe his version of "Yes You Did": acetate or test pressing?

No, I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying it was around a long time ago along with the instrumental version of I Hurt On The Other Side, round about the same time.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hi Pete

Atlantic acetate

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Thanks James.

I'll bring it along to Crossfire on Saturday if you want to have a butchers at it and share a chin stroke with me...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert