• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest east rob

Good shout Birfday Boy!

thumbsup.gif

way out girl- the construction,( del capris) massive in its time Edited by east rob
Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

way out girl- the construction,( del capris) massive in its time

Virtually anything by Paul Anka? :lol:

Edited by Nik Mak
Social source share

Mike And Ray-If only you knew on Giant. Anyone mentioned this yet? I loved this but i also loved their Man Without a Woman. I always got the impression that people liked one and not the other or vice versa.

Social source share

The Baltimore & ohio Marching band - Condition red

p.S Helen Shapiro is Half-cast not white as is Kiki dee

I hadn't realised Helen Shapiro was mixed race I'd always thought she was a Jewish girl from the east end of London and a cousin of Cliff Richards.

Manus

Social source share

Mike And Ray-If only you knew on Giant. Anyone mentioned this yet? I loved this but i also loved their Man Without a Woman. I always got the impression that people liked one and not the other or vice versa.

Which of course leads us to "Abstract Reality" / "Love Burns Like A Fire"

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

Well we got a P.J.Proby Niki that was Twisted Wheel/Torch early type dancer but what about his THATS THE TUNE which was also recorded by the VOGUES. Both versions were top notch. But here's a little story going back to the mid 70s. I've never forgotten it because at the time it was so funny.

Both versions used to get played in the midlands and i think it was off LP for Mr Proby and off 7inch for the Vogues. The latter was found in quantity and that pretty much killed it spins-wise.

So there i was in the Wolves Social Club (maybe 1974-1977, i dunno which year, but it hardly matters cos i aint too good with years or an anorack and over 30+ years ago) for one of their friday night soul do's. As is the chat it's always about records. The one guy is going on about how much the Vogues is superior to the P.J.Proby version because they are black and that's what NS is all about.

Nuff said yeah??

(Vogues are white just incase you missed that point)

Social source share

Are we sure this is a white guy, thought he was black???

What a tune tho. Just heard it again for the first time since gawd knows when. Was this CU at some point early days? I think i heard it on a JM tape but do not recall. Do any copies ever turn up? Is it a 2 grand single single still. Does it get played anywhere? I do like it lots and lots.

Social source share

Well we got a P.J.Proby Niki that was Twisted Wheel/Torch early type dancer but what about his THATS THE TUNE which was also recorded by the VOGUES. Both versions were top notch. But here's a little story going back to the mid 70s. I've never forgotten it because at the time it was so funny.

Both versions used to get played in the midlands and i think it was off LP for Mr Proby and off 7inch for the Vogues. The latter was found in quantity and that pretty much killed it spins-wise.

So there i was in the Wolves Social Club (maybe 1974-1977, i dunno which year, but it hardly matters cos i aint too good with years or an anorack and over 30+ years ago) for one of their friday night soul do's. As is the chat it's always about records. The one guy is going on about how much the Vogues is superior to the P.J.Proby version because they are black and that's what NS is all about.

Nuff said yeah??

(Vogues are white just incase you missed that point)

Didn't Frank Elson in his B&S Column rave about the Vogues one week saying it sounded like a cross between Bobby Bland & ?(someone else just as black soulfull etc.,I can't remember who the other artist was) :rolleyes:

Paul

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

thank you toad, not heard this for over 20 years! you needed to be on your toes dancing to this! what about the stomper "born a loser" don ray? :(

Rufus Lumley 'I'm standing' Holton. Or Rufus Lumley 'Stronger than me' RCA. (LP only.) ????? :)

Social source share

Rufus Lumley 'I'm standing' Holton. Or Rufus Lumley 'Stronger than me' RCA. (LP only.) ????? :)

We all seem to have put our two pence worth in on this subject , in respect of what was the greatest recording by a white artist , to be played on the scene .......

Is there a way that someone - our esteemed leader Mike perhaps - can put a voting form on the forum , in which the people on SS can nominate their choice , so that we will - eventually - have a decision as to what was the top title ? ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

We all seem to have put our two pence worth in on this subject , in respect of what was the greatest recording by a white artist , to be played on the scene .......

Is there a way that someone - our esteemed leader Mike perhaps - can put a voting form on the forum , in which the people on SS can nominate their choice , so that we will - eventually - have a decision as to what was the top title ? ........

Malc Burton

I thought the question was 'biggest', not 'greatest' or 'my favourite'. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I thought the question was 'biggest', not 'greatest' or 'my favourite'. :thumbsup:

Ah well then---- think of the biggest records on the scene in the last 12 months and multiply the impact on the 'scene' they had by say 5 or 10 and you have..............

Mr Posts catchy little number about a rhino!

For a 3/6 month period in '73 probably every major northern soul venue in the land had a rammed dance floor when that was played. :rolleyes: not many folks sat around talking when that b*stard came on :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Cant believe no one has mentioned THE biggest track....

Outsiders / "Lonely man" aka Detroit Shakers / "Help me find my way"

this was HUGE !! :lol:

Social source share

Cant believe no one has mentioned THE biggest track....

Outsiders / "Lonely man" aka Detroit Shakers / "Help me find my way"

this was HUGE !! :yes:

Not read all way through this thread Darran, but its got to be Paul Anka surely ?

If not anything from Wigan :lol: , then maybe Timi Yuro ?

Social source share

Guest micky p

love is after me-charlie ritch and i have got a good tune from,wait for it ,david essex ! laugh if you want ! pure white voice but i like it,have a listen.

micky p wallsend

site note

mp3 dropped

can you use the refosoul feature for posting clips

Social source share

• 1 month later...

There is no contest. Judy (Street) Corner "What". Rare release, rare label, HB Barnum production...perfect northern soul and, as far as I'm concerned, colour just doesn't enter into it. She's a wonderful woman. :thumbup:

HB said he wrote the song for somebody really famous but they turned it down Sandi Shaw or somebody I have it listed somewhere. :thumbsup: could be Petula Clark :wicked:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Petula Clarke from my aging memory?

That,s her, I was surprised to find out she was born in November 1932 and entertained people during the war.

Born November 15, with "a voice as sweet as chapel bells," Petula Clark first broke into the limelight during World War II when as a child she entertained the troops, both on radio and in concert. She is said to have performed in over 200 shows for the forces all over England before the age of nine and by war's end, Petula Clark--the British "Shirley Temple" who had come to represent childhood itself--was so popular in England she was asked to sing at a national victory celebration at Trafalgar Square. In 1944, Petula made her first movie and has since appeared in over 30 British and American films.

Throughout the forties and fifties Petula was a regular guest on a vast number of radio shows and became something of a television "pioneer" in England, first appearing on experimental TV in the forties and later as host of several of her own television series during the very early years of British programming, with Pet's Parlour being her longest running and most popular. Although she sang regularly in concert, on radio and TV all through the forties, it wasn't until 1949 that she recorded her first song Music, Music, Music and that pretty much sums up her very prolific recording career.

She has never stopped recording " 50 plus years and over a 1,000 songs and still counting! Her first hits were children's songs like Where Did My Snowman Go (1952) and The Little Shoemaker (1954). To date, she has sold well in excess of 68 million records.

In answer to the rock-and-roll craze of the late fifties, Petula recorded Sailor, Romeo and My Friend The Sea and was back on the charts again. In 1957, she was invited to sing at the famed Olympia theatre in France. After one song the French crowd went wild, and an entirely new career was launched.

Asked to record in French, Petula declined at first but was quickly persuaded to do so by Frenchman Claude Wolff with whom she fell madly in love - they were married in June 1961. (They have three children, daughters Barbara and Catherine and son Patrick and a granddaughter and grandson.) By the early sixties, Petula found herself reinvented as a French chanteuse, even rivaling the legendary Piaf--during Piaf's own lifetime. (She is still classified as a "French" singer

on the shelves in French and French-Canadian record stores.) In addition to her newfound French pop star status, Petula also began to enjoy success with the songs that she had begun to record in German and Italian. By the mid-sixties she'd established herself as superstar throughout Europe with Number One tunes sung in different languages in different countries all across the Continent. (Interesting to note, each of her early European hits were with entirely different songs--a feat not duplicated by any other singer since!)

Urged by her friends in Britain to record something in English, Petula allowed Tony Hatch to visit her in Paris where he presented his new song, Downtown. Petula recorded it and the rest is music history. Downtown skyrocketed to number 1 in the USA, launching Petula's American career and earning her a Grammy in 1964. She quickly followed with I Know A Place which went to number 3 and earned Petula her second Grammy in 1965. Numerous top 40 hits followed. All told, Pet has had 15 top 40 hits in the USA (two #1 hits). Internationally, Petula Clark has charted in the top 40 somewhere, sometime, with 159 recordings!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert