Yam Yams R Us ! Dudley

• Replies 105
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Tim we don't want to get this thread used as a slanging match, as others have posted Brookfields is far from 'Shite' to quote you, the present set up see's the venue split bi monthly with possibly one of the best allnighters in the country run from here by Lifeline. The other month which is only our 2nd at Brookfields is run by Max Millward and myself and I can assure you the 2 nights Max and I have run here so far have no way been aimed at your so called Motown handbagers.

Oh and by the way we do play oldies, crossover, newies, modern etc etc and as far as drinks are concerned they are not allowed on the dancefloor. You dont get Djs like Ted Massey, Kenny Onions, Chris Anderton, Pat Wallace, Shaun Barrett, Max Millward , Phil Richards etc etc just to name a few playing Motown all night, in fact you probally could count on one hand the number of Motown tracks that have been played here since we took over the soul nights.

So if you haven't been along lately your un-founded comments are not welcomed I would think most promoters out there would give their right arm to have the Brookfields Club to promote as one of their venues.

So come along and see what we are doing you may be suprised and even retract the comments you made earlier about the venue.

Gaz

=====

Absolutely Gaz..the last nite at the stables was a belter as was the previous allniter at lifeline...

tim was one of the first friends i ever had on this scene and is a very decent chap but seems to be going through a grumpy old man stage at the mo..

come on tim lighten up mate :unsure:

Social source share

FED UP WHY SHOULD I GET INSULTED

ANY ONE ON HERE CAN HAVE AN OPINION BUT I WONT TOLERATE INSULTS THAT I DONT DESERVE

IM NOT USUALLY NEGATIVE AND HAVE SUPPORTED WOLVO EVENTS 30 YEARS NON STOP OK

====

part of the internet/email Tim

sometimes when u post your 1st thoughts and press the 'send' button you dont get chance to retract

i did that at work about 10 years ago about my manager and nearly lost my job!!!

have learned over the years to digest ,,read again then retaliate if necessary..

but hey lifes too short tim...

Social source share

=====

Absolutely Gaz..the last nite at the stables was a belter as was the previous allniter at lifeline...

tim was one of the first friends i ever had on this scene and is a very decent chap but seems to be going through a grumpy old man stage at the mo..

come on tim lighten up mate :unsure:

Hey Mark forgot to add you to that list of Djs I mentioned great spot you did at the last Brookfields sorry mate! tongue.gif

Gaz

Social source share

Phil you are well out of order, when you and the rest of them had left the scene and were doing the family stuff Tim never stopped going to events and nighters, whether round here or country wide and despite what tyou might think he does know about the Lea Manor because it ran for ages before all the returnees came back. And he's right when he says the Wolvo/West Midlands is one big clique. Same dj's, same promoters for every event. Thats not an insult, it's a fact.

Social source share

I've been up to the area quite a few times this year, Connaught, Dudley, Rugeley, Max's do at the great Western and have found them a bit cliquey but have always enjoyed myself so I'll give chalky's a go. Must admit tho that its posts like this that puts me off travelling more and it seems to me that its always the midlands that are at each others throats. This used to be the friendliest of scenes so whats gone wrong

Regards

Ian

Social source share

Phil you are well out of order, when you and the rest of them had left the scene and were doing the family stuff Tim never stopped going to events and nighters, whether round here or country wide and despite what tyou might think he does know about the Lea Manor because it ran for ages before all the returnees came back. And he's right when he says the Wolvo/West Midlands is one big clique. Same dj's, same promoters for every event. Thats not an insult, it's a fact.

Pete looking on Soul Source its not just the west mids mate its virtually every other region, Im not guilty been a returnee since 1983 wink.gif

Edited by Tedsoul
Social source share

Yes you don't need the £1.000 45 there are tons and tons of cheap 45s which don't get a look in

Yeah but Chalky, this is what I'm trying to say, people don't want to hear them - if they did, you'd get more than 10 or 20 people turn up. There just aren't enough people to go round and at least 75% of those people who go out on a friday or saturday night will want to hear records that they know.

sorry I need to add a p.s. to this

we all have good records that are underplayed and that we'd like other like-minded people to hear; however, the point I'm trying to make is, while some of us like this sort of event, the majority just aren't interested in opening their ears to anything that they don't already know, which is why (Bill) I was being so pessimistic because it has been that way for 20 years.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Yeah but Chalky, this is what I'm trying to say, people don't want to hear them - if they did, you'd get more than 10 or 20 people turn up. There just aren't enough people to go round and at least 75% of those people who go out on a friday or saturday night will want to hear records that they know.

You have hit the nail right on the head there Pete unfortuneatley

Social source share

sorry I need to add a p.s. to this

we all have good records that are underplayed and that we'd like other like-minded people to hear; however, the point I'm trying to make is, while some of us like this sort of event, the majority just aren't interested in opening their ears to anything that they don't already know, which is why (Bill) I was being so pessimistic because it has been that way for 20 years.

Pete I fully understand what you saying mate and yes I do agree , I Know Bill and Phil have tried this in the past especailly bill when he opened one up on a thursday night at the starving rascle pub nr stourbridge

a room which if he had 10 in it would have been packed and it was free aswell and still no one turned up.

Social source share

I've been up to the area quite a few times this year, Connaught, Dudley, Rugeley, Max's do at the great Western and have found them a bit cliquey but have always enjoyed myself so I'll give chalky's a go. Must admit tho that its posts like this that puts me off travelling more and it seems to me that its always the midlands that are at each others throats. This used to be the friendliest of scenes so whats gone wrong

Regards

Ian

Thanks for your support Ian wink.gif

Social source share

Pete I fully understand what you saying mate and yes I do agree , I Know Bill and Phil have tried this in the past especailly bill when he opened one up on a thursday night at the starving rascle pub nr stourbridge

a room which if he had 10 in it would have been packed and it was free aswell and still no one turned up.

So should we ask ourselves - if he taken on the same room but played, I dunno, hip hop, or whatever is the most popular music of the day, would it have been packed? Probably yes. Northern Soul is enjoyed by a minority of people, but the majority of those are middle aged and just don't have the time, money or inclination any more.

Social source share

yet again Pete you are Right ! I will post up later about this .

Social source share

yet again Pete you are Right ! I will post up later about this .

I've never understood why all of the promoters - let's just say there are 5 of them - don't get together and put on a really good do in a really good venue and make it a monthly packer like Goodyears and not be afraid to not book the same dj's as always.

Social source share

I've never understood why all of the promoters - let's just say there are 5 of them - don't get together and put on a really good do in a really good venue and make it a monthly packer like Goodyears and not be afraid to not book the same dj's as always.

Pete as you know The West Mids are split between promoters and DJs , if your not into their circle of Friends you won't get asked , I asked one promter about a DJ Booking and he stated due to the fact I'm hanging around with them lot I got no chance unless I stop DJing with them I would do , whats all this about ? I tried to use so many local DJs at Jct 2 especailly at the alldayers yet again I had this -

" if he is playing I'm not coming I replied its up to you " to be honest mate I've had enough around here

I will carry on what I want to do , the last 6 days I've been working my Bollocks off to get a few venues to put The Elgin's on In November and looks like the plug will be pulled ..... another massive phone bill !! FOR NOTHING. , I've started to do alot of Stuff with Mike Hollis and kenny which I'm grateful but i know That me working with them it causes a friction between other promters In The west Mids ... yet again , Thanks to Burnley Dave he as pulled myself from the circle with The warwick soul nights and thanks to him I get more DJ Bookings out of the Area ..... Bournmouth Opera house , Banbury , Oxford , Bury to name a few , In the West Mids No chance .... Clicky clicky Mates in the circle like you say .. CORRECT.

Social source share

You're perfectly correct there Pete. The Lea Manor Soul nights that Tim is referring to were promoted by Martin Bradley, and Tate and Lin. I can't remember when the last Soul night was, but the last allnighter held there by these promoters was in December 2001. (So the Soul nights must have started about 1996)

Tim also right in claiming that there weren't that many people from Wolverhampton that attended on a regular basis, as a percentage of the total attendance, bearing in mind that Wolverhampton is the nearest big town.

Just out of interest here is the playlist from the last allnighter

The Last Albrighton Allnighter

The later incarnation of the Lea Manor was run by Col & Gaye Kidson and ran for about two years between 2005 and 2007 (Roughly)

Social source share

You're perfectly correct there Pete. The Lea Manor Soul nights that Tim is referring to were promoted by Martin Bradley, and Tate and Lin. I can't remember when the last Soul night was, but the last allnighter held there by these promoters was in December 2001. (So the Soul nights must have started about 1996)

Tim also right in claiming that there weren't that many people from Wolverhampton that attended on a regular basis, as a percentage of the total attendance, bearing in mind that Wolverhampton is the nearest big town.

Just out of interest here is the playlist from the last allnighter

The Last Albrighton Allnighter

The later incarnation of the Lea Manor was run by Col & Gaye Kidson and ran for about two years between 2005 and 2007 (Roughly)

bloody hell was it that long ago

Social source share

Pete as you know The West Mids are split between promoters and DJs , if your not into their circle of Friends you won't get asked , I asked one promter about a DJ Booking and he stated due to the fact I'm hanging around with them lot I got no chance unless I stop DJing with them I would do , whats all this about ? I tried to use so many local DJs at Jct 2 especailly at the alldayers yet again I had this -

" if he is playing I'm not coming I replied its up to you " to be honest mate I've had enough around here

I will carry on what I want to do , the last 6 days I've been working my Bollocks off to get a few venues to put The Elgin's on In November and looks like the plug will be pulled ..... another massive phone bill !! FOR NOTHING. , I've started to do alot of Stuff with Mike Hollis and kenny which I'm grateful but i know That me working with them it causes a friction between other promters In The west Mids ... yet again , Thanks to Burnley Dave he as pulled myself from the circle with The warwick soul nights and thanks to him I get more DJ Bookings out of the Area ..... Bournmouth Opera house , Banbury , Oxford , Bury to name a few , In the West Mids No chance .... Clicky clicky Mates in the circle like you say .. CORRECT.

sorry you feel this way Chalks but cant ever remeber me of John weston being asked to do any spots at the alldayers may be cause we are from Birmingham laugh.gif

Social source share

sorry you feel this way Chalks but cant ever remeber me of John weston being asked to do any spots at the alldayers may be cause we are from Birmingham :thumbup:

Hiya Ted , I did chat a few times to John about spinning at the alldayers sadly it never appended , and I did have you in mind ,

but as you know it's hard to keep everyone happy plus with the budget side as well , But at least I made up to you at Warwick by getting you on there after Dave asked who I recommended :lol:

Social source share

ive just spoke to chalky and having listened to all the views and advice on here the event is cancelled.

might pull the plug on the double deckers . give the big boys another night .

mart :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler

might pull the plug on the double deckers . give the big boys another night .

mart :rolleyes:

Hi Martin & Jellybean,

If it's costing you money ditch it. But if not, stick at it and it may catch on. I know it's a rough & ready place with cheap beer but it's not without atmosphere, so try it for a little while longer. I've only been once but do intend to come again. Ade

Social source share

Hi Martin & Jellybean,

If it's costing you money ditch it. But if not, stick at it and it may catch on. I know it's a rough & ready place with cheap beer but it's not without atmosphere, so try it for a little while longer. I've only been once but do intend to come again. Ade

thanks ade . no it does'nt cost us & thats not why we are pulling the plug . the smaller venues who cater for the soulies are not attracting support & some promoters are going into overkill with bigger soul nights & putting on 2 & 3 events over the month . there are only a hand full of soulies who travel to hear & dance to northern . most venues are filled by people who refuse to listen to anything other than clasics & motown & leaving us with half empty rooms . don't get me wrong, iv'e been to nighters & sat down for 3 or 4 hours waiting for a dance tune & the policy at double deckers was play what u want as long as you can dance to it . we looked into moving venues closer to wolverhampton but could'nt find anything with the right ingrediants & allthough the other clubs who clashed with us have closed . we have decided to call it a day so if anyone wants to fill the last friday with a handbag night your more than welcome to do so .

mart ( kerby )

Social source share

Hi Mart The connaught as not closed , I'm meeting this week to sort things out there and have already had some pms from on here to support to carry on with it . I Understand mate what your saying in your post .

ok chalkie . but are you sure your not flogging a dead horse . as you know support usualy comes from djs and not punters .

mart

Edited by kerby
Social source share

Hi Mart you may be right I keep betting on that horse , hope you and JB are there tonight to See The Spinners .

staying local 2nite m8 .

mart

Edited by kerby
Social source share

Guest shaunthesheep

thanks ade . no it does'nt cost us & thats not why we are pulling the plug . the smaller venues who cater for the soulies are not attracting support & some promoters are going into overkill with bigger soul nights & putting on 2 & 3 events over the month . there are only a hand full of soulies who travel to hear & dance to northern . most venues are filled by people who refuse to listen to anything other than clasics & motown & leaving us with half empty rooms . don't get me wrong, iv'e been to nighters & sat down for 3 or 4 hours waiting for a dance tune & the policy at double deckers was play what u want as long as you can dance to it . we looked into moving venues closer to wolverhampton but could'nt find anything with the right ingrediants & allthough the other clubs who clashed with us have closed . we have decided to call it a day so if anyone wants to fill the last friday with a handbag night your more than welcome to do so .

mart ( kerby )

Hi Mart & JB,

Myself and Taf are real sorry that you, the Double deckers and Yam Yam's have decided to call it a day, the two places quaranteed to hear something different from the norm.

We couldn't always be there to support you both due to family reasons but we supported your music policies.

Thanks for both trying, KTF and hope to see you at Minworth.

Jane and Taf xx

Social source share

Hi Mart & JB,

Myself and Taf are real sorry that you, the Double deckers and Yam Yam's have decided to call it a day, the two places quaranteed to hear something different from the norm.

We couldn't always be there to support you both due to family reasons but we supported your music policies.

Jane and Taf xx

Social source share

Hiya Ted , I did chat a few times to John about spinning at the alldayers sadly it never appended , and I did have you in mind ,

but as you know it's hard to keep everyone happy plus with the budget side as well , But at least I made up to you at Warwick by getting you on there after Dave asked who I recommended :D

Very Kind of mate much appreiciated. I really think you are flogging a dead horse at the Connaught its like what happened at the black horse at first it was banging but slowly but surely attendances went down then it shut then started again and i was there the night Soul sam was on and only 12 turned up. Give it up mate before you lose the shirt of your back.

Social source share

Hi Mart & JB,

Jane and Taf xx

Thanks Jane & Taf :ohmy: and for all your support, i did say that support did not go unnoticed and have txt every number i have on my mobile to thank everyone for the support we had. :D What other promoter would do that eh! :D See you at Minworth :D

JB & Kerby xxxKTFxxx

I will also thank everyone else i don't have a number for personally!! :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Sad to see it happen but in current climate and the credit crunch as well shit happens, im sure Mart and Helen will get bookings looking at the play lists they have posted lately

thanks ted .... top man. :D

Social source share

just going to pull up on a few pointers here and there, woody...john weston..., col kidson...,martyn bradley,...and I could go on, dont see these people being booked by any bigger promoters, round the frigging home towns, disgraceful to say the least, and you know why, cos they wont suck arse, they are their own council, they wont be in any clique, its as simple as that, but thanks to people like billy, and Helen and Martyn, they do appreciate the tunage they have spent the last 30 odd years acquiring, dont you think people here in the midlands are sick to the back teeth hearing the same friggin DJ,s playing from one venue to the other, I know I am, dont ya think thats why we travel, 90,000 miles is on our clock,!!!! went to essington last nite to hear Ted Massey, a hell of a collection, as Weston's is, and I make no bones about it, woody , john,and Ted, have my full support and and undying loyalty, weather you agree with me or not, and as for the politics, leave it, fook it, dont get involved in it, its giving the west midlands a really bad name, people wont travel, they think we are at each other throat,s all the while, why aint Dave rimmer at all the big venues round here? how often does he dj in his home turf, I find this quite mind boggling,martyn, helen, take the dd to the dudley club, its just rite for it, dont give up, we will support you when we can.so lets put this to bed now, and move on.

Social source share

I'm not going to get into my personal views on the whole West Mids soul scene....some have already been covered and the rest would probably cause a few rows :D .

It's a shame that Yams Yams is closing, although I never went it was on my list of venues to pay a visit to. I do think it could have done with some more advertising etc.

Helen & Mart: really sorry to hear about your decision on DDs, regret not getting up there more often to support you both. Now that my financial situation has changed (with my wife back at work full time) I had intended being a regular punter. DDs was a refreshing exception to the norm with an open music policy and variety of people behind the decks. I had hoped that you would start to pick up on numbers and your enthusiasm and openess certainly deserved better.

I still strongly believe that there are enough people in the area interested in the more 'up front' scene to pack out a venue...I think many of them just need convincing that any such event genuinely offers something different and interesting and is seperate to the usual West Mids offerings.

Adam.

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

I'm not going to get into my personal views on the whole West Mids soul scene....some have already been covered and the rest would probably cause a few rows :) .

It's a shame that Yams Yams is closing, although I never went it was on my list of venues to pay a visit to. I do think it could have done with some more advertising etc.

Helen & Mart: really sorry to hear about your decision on DDs, regret not getting up there more often to support you both. Now that my financial situation has changed (with my wife back at work full time) I had intended being a regular punter. DDs was a refreshing exception to the norm with an open music policy and variety of people behind the decks. I had hoped that you would start to pick up on numbers and your enthusiasm and openess certainly deserved better.

I still strongly believe that there are enough people in the area interested in the more 'up front' scene to pack out a venue...I think many of them just need convincing that any such event genuinely offers something different and interesting and is seperate to the usual West Mids offerings.

Adam.

Well lets all get behind Minworth then its a up front venue and with all the support on this post

should be a packer :lol:

Social source share

just going to pull up on a few pointers here and there, woody...john weston..., col kidson...,martyn bradley,...and I could go on, dont see these people being booked by any bigger promoters, round the frigging home towns, disgraceful to say the least, and you know why, cos they wont suck arse, they are their own council, they wont be in any clique, its as simple as that, but thanks to people like billy, and Helen and Martyn, they do appreciate the tunage they have spent the last 30 odd years acquiring, dont you think people here in the midlands are sick to the back teeth hearing the same friggin DJ,s playing from one venue to the other, I know I am, dont ya think thats why we travel, 90,000 miles is on our clock,!!!! went to essington last nite to hear Ted Massey, a hell of a collection, as Weston's is, and I make no bones about it, woody , john,and Ted, have my full support and and undying loyalty, weather you agree with me or not, and as for the politics, leave it, fook it, dont get involved in it, its giving the west midlands a really bad name, people wont travel, they think we are at each other throat,s all the while, why aint Dave rimmer at all the big venues round here? how often does he dj in his home turf, I find this quite mind boggling,martyn, helen, take the dd to the dudley club, its just rite for it, dont give up, we will support you when we can.so lets put this to bed now, and move on.

sorry lou . dudley club was considered as a move but the dance floor was shite .

Social source share

I'm not going to get into my personal views on the whole West Mids soul scene....some have already been covered and the rest would probably cause a few rows :) .

Adam.

adam , you are right the scene changes with the climate . we realise that money is tight at the moment so we decided to give it a rest . the dds was run from a punters point of view & not a djs but as i said there is'nt enough northern soul fans to go round . & you can't force people to listen to music .

mart

Social source share

Well lets all get behind Minworth then its a up front venue and with all the support on this post

should be a packer :)

Not heard of the Minworth venue? Quick search on here threw up a couple of threads advertising it but no mention of an up front music policy? No lookback that I could find either? Any playlists available so I can see what sort of thing is getting played here?

Adam.

Social source share

Not heard of the Minworth venue? Quick search on here threw up a couple of threads advertising it but no mention of an up front music policy? No lookback that I could find either? Any playlists available so I can see what sort of thing is getting played here?

Adam.

Hi Adam,

Minworth is a new venue started up just last month, Mart was guest he played a cracking set and so did the res dj's, but wouldn't call it an up front venue. They all played something for everyone, and chucked in a few rarities and underplayed gems. :)

No playlist for Mart he can't remember what he played now :lol: but he was very entertaining!! :(

JB xxxKTFxxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share