Yam Yams R Us ! Dudley

Sadly poor turn out but great music , Big thanks to our Guest's DJs Jellybean & Kerby ( Helen & Mart )

also to the handful of support who clearly states nice to hear something different , also after having a chat with Phil he has decided to call it a day Thanks mate for giving it a go in the first place !

Myself and Bill will carry on and welcome on board Jellybean & Kerby , We Know whats been lacking

Flyers and Advertising.... Etc This will know be sorted . Our next night is 7th November and we welcome Big Al as our guest DJ. Anyone who wants to spin sometunes please pm me or Bill or JB , I know Adam from soulsuppermarket is up for it so we will arrange the next date for him . yes these's nights are always hard to get off going in the first place but again it's easy to say enough is enough ... Keep on keeping on !

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

• Replies 105
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sadly poor turn out but great music , Big thanks to our Guest's DJs Jellybean & Kerby ( Helen & Mart )

also to the handful of support who clearly states nice to hear something different , also after having a chat with Phil he has decided to call it a day Thanks mate for giving it a go in the first place !

Myself and Bill will carry on and welcome on board Jellybean & Kerby , We Know whats been lacking

Flyers and Advertising.... Etc This will know be sorted . Our next night is 7th November and we welcome Big Al as our guest DJ. Anyone who wants to spin sometunes please pm me or Bill or JB , I know Adam from soulsuppermarket is up for it so we will arrange the next date for him . yes these's nights are always hard to get off going in the first place but again it's easy to say enough is enough ... Keep on keeping on !

Hi Chalky,

Had a great night at Yams yams on Friday, shame it was very quiet, and about us coming on board, sorry but me & Mart have decided not to, but we will gladly help you out with the use of our equipment. :thumbup:

JB & Kerby

Social source share

Hi Chalky,

Had a great night at Yams yams on Friday, shame it was very quiet, and about us coming on board, sorry but me & Mart have decided not to, but we will gladly help you out with the use of our equipment. :thumbup:

JB & Kerby

Hiya JB Thanks for letting us Know I will inform Bill about your decision , Thanks for all yours and Mart help with your equipment .

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Good luck to you 2 hope it works out will still pop along as you owe me a beer :lol:

Social source share

CHALKY

SEND ME YOUR FLYERS. WILL PUT ON WWW.OLDIESUNLIMITED.CO WEB SITE,WHATS ON SECTION GOOD LUCK MATE........SWOZ

Social source share

I,m sorry that we did not make it to support helen and mart again, but it just how things pan out sometimes, we have to weigh alots of things up sometimes when he works late,it really does bugger fridays up for us now and again, and yes perhaps a bit more proming would not go amiss, hope your not offended, just being honest.

Social source share

I,m sorry that we did not make it to support helen and mart again, but it just how things pan out sometimes, we have to weigh alots of things up sometimes when he works late,it really does bugger fridays up for us now and again, and yes perhaps a bit more proming would not go amiss, hope your not offended, just being honest.

Hi Lou,

Nevermind about Friday, hope to catch up with you & Woody soon :wicked: heres my half hour playlist just for you, thought i'd go with a bit of mod/crossover for a change :wave: not sure Mart will remember his though. :lol:

James Walsh - Cuz its you girl

Impact - Happy man

Jimmy James - Hey girl

Skip Mahoney - Running away from love

Innervision - Honey baby (be mine)

Black Box - Fall into my love

Ruby Winters - Just like a yo yo

Jackie Moore - Do ya' got what it takes

Ruby Andrews - I got a bone to pick with you

See you soon Lou :wicked:

JB xxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Hi Lou,

Nevermind about Friday, hope to catch up with you & Woody soon :wicked: heres my half hour playlist just for you, thought i'd go with a bit of mod/crossover for a change :wave: not sure Mart will remember his though. :lol:

Impact - Happy man

Jimmy James - Hey girl

JB xxx

well done bongo!! came over like a breath of fresh air!!

max..

Social source share

Hi Lou,

Impact - Happy man

Jimmy James - Hey girl

JB xxx

Norty Bill cut your spot short ! Great spot JB and please tell Mart to post his play list as he was Fab !! and better :lol: only joking !!

Social source share

Hi Lou,

Nevermind about Friday, hope to catch up with you & Woody soon smile.gif heres my half hour playlist just for you, thought i'd go with a bit of mod/crossover for a change :thumbsup: not sure Mart will remember his though. :lol:

Impact - Happy man

Jimmy James - Hey girl

See you soon Lou :wave:

JB xxx

Well done Jb as always, nice tooons with a CAPITOL T played.

and i really like the avatar picture :lol:

See ya soon sweetie

Suzy xx

Social source share

Norty Bill cut your spot short ! Great spot JB and please tell Mart to post his play list as he was Fab !! and better :lol: only joking !!

Hey Chalky!! I ain't bovered if you thought Mart was better :) only joking!! :thumbup: Heres his cracking playlist....... :D

Little Flint - Pain

Bobby Powell - Question

Tina Mason - Finders keepers

Smoove - I can't give you up

Wess & The Airdales - I'll never turn my back on you

Bobby Patterson - Sock some lovin at me

Lost Souls - I'm your love man

Olympics - I'll do a little bit

Lovettes - Little miss soul

Mart played 2 for Max, but he can't remember em!! :D

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

I'd be interested in all of your opinions on the post I made in response to Swoz's Canal Club not getting a very good turn out...

Sadly I had a feeling this might happen, for a number of reasons. Sunday's never been the best day to hold an event, it wasn't so bad when we were kids and could do Wigan then the Locarno straight after and still get up for work the next day, but it's changed from drugs to alcohol and people who like to drink generally don't like getting up early next morning.

Swoz you needed to get maps of the venue posted up, I still don't know where it is or where car parks are, I only think I know roughly where it is.

Thirdly, I have said to you and I say it to any of the other local promotors that I will advertise your events free of charge on my mailing list, I won't do this for anyone else except locals, guess how many people have asked me to advertise? None, thats how many.

I think we all have to face up to the fact that in this area there are too many chiefs and not enough indians. People can't keep setting up venue after venue and expect them to be a success because there are just not enough punters to go around, and people don't have the money or the time to go somewhere every weekend unless the kids have flown the nest.

The most successful and long running night around here is, I think, Goodyears. How, I don't know, because the music policy is hardly ground breaking, but I noticed the last time I was there that it wasn't about the music, it was packed out because of the social side of things. If people set up a venue around here playing newies, obscurities, cheapies and rare oldies, you've got no f*cking chance because there's just nobody who will support this type of venue.

Also, there can't be that many venues left to try can there?

So Goodyears, Max's do, maybe one or two others will survive because they have their audience, anything else I'm afraid is doomed to failure and I think local promoters may as well face up to this, oldies rule the area ever since the Vic closed.

Social source share

Thirdly, I have said to you and I say it to any of the other local promotors that I will advertise your events free of charge on my mailing list, I won't do this for anyone else except locals, guess how many people have asked me to advertise? None, thats how many.

pete, i was completely ignorant of yr generous offer.as soon as our next lot of fliers are done ill drop one in to you

many thanks in advance.

bill

Social source share

Hey Chalky!! I ain't bovered if you thought Mart was better :thumbsup: only joking!! :D Heres his cracking playlist....... :D

Little Flint - Pain

Bobby Powell - Question

Tina Mason - Finders keepers

Smoove - I can't give you up

Wess & The Airdales - I'll never turn my back on you

Bobby Patterson - Sock some lovin at me

Lost Souls - I'm your love man

Olympics - I'll do a little bit

Lovettes - Little miss soul

Mart played 2 for Max, but he can't remember em!! tongue.gif

JB xxxKTFxxx

Hiya Jb thanks for posting Mart's playlist ....... Great spots by him and you .

post-2690-1223482462_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I'd be interested in all of your opinions on the post I made in response to Swoz's Canal Club not getting a very good turn out...

Sadly I had a feeling this might happen, for a number of reasons. Sunday's never been the best day to hold an event, it wasn't so bad when we were kids and could do Wigan then the Locarno straight after and still get up for work the next day, but it's changed from drugs to alcohol and people who like to drink generally don't like getting up early next morning.

Swoz you needed to get maps of the venue posted up, I still don't know where it is or where car parks are, I only think I know roughly where it is.

I think we all have to face up to the fact that in this area there are too many chiefs and not enough indians. People can't keep setting up venue after venue and expect them to be a success because there are just not enough punters to go around, and people don't have the money or the time to go somewhere every weekend unless the kids have flown the nest.

The most successful and long running night around here is, I think, Goodyears. How, I don't know, because the music policy is hardly ground breaking, but I noticed the last time I was there that it wasn't about the music, it was packed out because of the social side of things. If people set up a venue around here playing newies, obscurities, cheapies and rare oldies, you've got no f*cking chance because there's just nobody who will support this type of venue.

Also, there can't be that many venues left to try can there?

So Goodyears, Max's do, maybe one or two others will survive because they have their audience, anything else I'm afraid is doomed to failure and I think local promoters may as well face up to this, oldies rule the area ever since the Vic closed.

Firstly..Many apologies Guys couldn't make the last Yams Yams because of a family illness and hospital attandance etc.

Secondly..Sorry Pete but I really have to disagree with your pessimistic outlook on soul in this area.

Please explain the long established & very successful Coppertops at Worcester where the music policy is anything but the same old played to death oldies.Guest DJ's playing exactly the newies, obscurities, cheapies and rare oldies, you state "has got no f*cking chance because there's just nobody who will support this type of venue"...HOWEVER the place & dance floor is full to bursting every time?

The Late lamented Lea Manor...where Dj's competed to play obscurity unknowns and expensive ex Stafford spins..the place was always ram packed.. audiences requesting the superb sounds that they could ONLY hear at Lea Manor.

People in this area attend Goodyears and similar because they have NO BLOODY CHOICE !!!... many journey 2-4 hours every week to frequent venues where they can enjoy quality Northern ..not the did we all only live in the 70's played to death venues.

If you look at the audience in the big room at Prestatyn weekenders with DJ'S Butch, Soul Sam, Roger Banks, Tim Brown, Ginger Taylor, Dave Rimmer, John Weston etc what do you see?... Lots of dancing Midlanders

The future of the Midland soul scene is VERY much in the hands of adventurous DJ/promoters like the Yam Yam guy's.

Find the right venue, maintain the newies, in demand, obscurities, rare music policy, and a MONSTER soul venue WILL be born.

Whats the alternative? Why bother with Vinyl at all?

Why not let all the Midlands share the same get em on the floor 6 CD's and we can all yawn ourselves into an early grave...

Accept all these Derby & Joan soul clubs shout.gif NO WAY !! thmbdn.gif

........THE RIGHT PLACE AND CENTRAL SOUL WILL LIKE A PHEONIX RISE FROM THE ASHES...

Social source share

Firstly..Many apologies Guys couldn't make the last Yams Yams because of a family illness and hospital attandance etc.

Secondly..Sorry Pete but I really have to disagree with your pessimistic outlook on soul in this area.

Please explain the long established & very successful Coppertops at Worcester where the music policy is anything but the same old played to death oldies.Guest DJ's playing exactly the newies, obscurities, cheapies and rare oldies, you state "has got no f*cking chance because there's just nobody who will support this type of venue"...HOWEVER the place & dance floor is full to bursting every time?

The Late lamented Lea Manor...where Dj's competed to play obscurity unknowns and expensive ex Stafford spins..the place was always ram packed.. audiences requesting the superb sounds that they could ONLY hear at Lea Manor.

People in this area attend Goodyears and similar because they have NO BLOODY CHOICE !!!... many journey 2-4 hours every week to frequent venues where they can enjoy quality Northern ..not the did we all only live in the 70's played to death venues.

If you look at the audience in the big room at Prestatyn weekenders with DJ'S Butch, Soul Sam, Roger Banks, Tim Brown, Ginger Taylor, Dave Rimmer, John Weston etc what do you see?... Lots of dancing Midlanders

The future of the Midland soul scene is VERY much in the hands of adventurous DJ/promoters like the Yam Yam guy's.

Find the right venue, maintain the newies, in demand, obscurities, rare music policy, and a MONSTER soul venue WILL be born.

Why not let all the Midlands share the same get em on the floor 6 CD's and we can all yawn ourselves into an early grave...

........THE RIGHT PLACE AND CENTRAL SOUL WILL LIKE A PHEONIX RISE FROM THE ASHES...

well siad that..but, I can see where pete is coming from, its not always possible to support the places we want to, various reasons..at the end of the day, its soulies v people who dont give a fig about the music as much as we do, and just want a nite out.

Social source share

ay up will,thought you were on yr hols?

Social source share

thanks to all who voiced opinions.the thing is..the thing is when the likes of des parker,lou and woody,phil,bog std,richards,kenny onions play from the back of the box this venue is worth promoting just to hear stuff,yknow?stuff you will never hear elsewhere around here. max said about helens spot " a breath of fresh air" hats what its about.We had about 15 total in on friday but id still go there than some of the longstanding well atteneded nights in the area. the thing we are missing is positive advertising and a critical mass of people to the tune of about 40.the place would be rammed with 40 in and youd have a mini-mee successful underplayed soul night.

ill do me best with chalky to correct the advertising issue and if we still dont get enuf people through the door the venue owners will have to pull the plug because chalky and i wont!

Social source share

A CLASS VENUE AND MUSIC

BUT NOT MUCH SUPPORT FROM WEST MIDLANDS SOULIES !!!!!

Social source share

A CLASS VENUE AND MUSIC

Think you are wrong there but not going to try and list them but at least half of the attendees were from the west mids

Social source share

A CLASS VENUE AND MUSIC

im interested to know how you qualify this comment. i went and know quite a few others that regularly attended from west mids.

did you know all the people that went and their postcodes??

Social source share

im interested to know how you qualify this comment. i went and know quite a few others that regularly attended from west mids.

did you know all the people that went and their postcodes??

further it was not always packed,the early events were very poorly attended.

Social source share

further it was not always packed,the early events were very poorly attended.

Well remembered there Will we attended the early ones together & watched this one grow. Which futher strenghthens my point that yes these sort of soul nights are difficult to get going, we all know that but there is a 100 club potential in the Midlands.

The right place and all those who are forced to travel most weekends can enjoy a home game for a change.

Social source share

These sort of nights are really hard to get going , to me it's a nice change to hear something different , everyone as there views ... etc Stafford ! but I have not got a tardis to go back in time I wish I had , It's the future that counts , like stated and fair play to bill but myself and him will not pull the plug on this either we have 10 or 40 not really bothered but it gives the chance to play and hear something different , but I will bet anyone in a future date we will have have 50 in the place as I have a dear friend visiting from Detroit and he is well up for performing at this place !!!!! let people go to Jct 9 , Goodyear's , broadlane , Jct 11 , connaught , station hotel and good luck to them hope they enjoy themselves at least ourselves and Double Decker's are trying something different .

Social source share

These sort of nights are really hard to get going , to me it's a nice change to hear something different , everyone as there views ... etc Stafford ! but I have not got a tardis to go back in time I wish I had , It's the future that counts , like stated and fair play to bill but myself and him will not pull the plug on this either we have 10 or 40 not really bothered but it gives the chance to play and hear something different , but I will bet anyone in a future date we will have have 50 in the place as I have a dear friend visiting from Detroit and he is well up for performing at this place !!!!! let people go to Jct 9 , Goodyear's , broadlane , Jct 11 , connaught , station hotel and good luck to them hope they enjoy themselves at least ourselves and Double Decker's are trying something different .

Hi Chalky I sincerly wish you all the best with this venue and agree that the future lies with new inovations in our music to move it forward. However at the end of the day people pay their hard earned money to go where they want to go whether its Goodyears, Broadlane Jct 9 etc etc. So let's not de crying other peoples venues because they have been successful doing what they do and have their own styles of music whatever it might be. You know yourself with the station hotel you have had some great success there because people want to go and enjoy the music policy you've put on. I've DJd at Double Deckers for JB and Mart and throughly enjoyed myself they have a great little set up, a new idea and have stuck with it all power to them hope they ask me back soon.

There is room in the midlands for all types of our music oldies, newies, modern, crossover, underplayed etc etc its just a case of finding that missing spark to make your venue a success. I applaud your determination to carry on with Yam Yams and hope you and Bill can turn it round. We should all be helping and supporting one another although you can't be everywhere and lets face it we all like visiting venues away from our own area to listen and enjoy other peoples nights and music as well. If I can be of any help at all you have my email address or pm me I'd be honoured to come and play some of the stuff I have that never comes out of my boxes you don't have to have £1000+ records to have a nice collection I'm sure there are lots of other midlands djs who would do the same to help as well.

Good Luck mate!

Gaz Lees

Social source share

Hi Chalky I sincerly wish you all the best with this venue and agree that the future lies with new inovations in our music to move it forward. However at the end of the day people pay their hard earned money to go where they want to go whether its Goodyears, Broadlane Jct 9 etc etc. So let's not de crying other peoples venues because they have been successful doing what they do and have their own styles of music whatever it might be. You know yourself with the station hotel you have had some great success there because people want to go and enjoy the music policy you've put on. I've DJd at Double Deckers for JB and Mart and throughly enjoyed myself they have a great little set up, a new idea and have stuck with it all power to them hope they ask me back soon.

There is room in the midlands for all types of our music oldies, newies, modern, crossover, underplayed etc etc its just a case of finding that missing spark to make your venue a success. I applaud your determination to carry on with Yam Yams and hope you and Bill can turn it round. We should all be helping and supporting one another although you can't be everywhere and lets face it we all like visiting venues away from our own area to listen and enjoy other peoples nights and music as well. If I can be of any help at all you have my email address or pm me I'd be honoured to come and play some of the stuff I have that never comes out of my boxes you don't have to have £1000+ records to have a nice collection I'm sure there are lots of other midlands djs who would do the same to help as well.

Good Luck mate!

Gaz Lees

Hiya Gaz

Very well said ! I didn't mean to offend Broadlane ,Jct 9 ,Goodyear's , Station Hotel , Connaught , as you know I'm resident at Both Connaught and Station Hotel it was like you said These are the places where they get good regularly crowds for the music what's played and like yourself at Broadlane which as been going for 3 years , I was trying to point out that people will go to venues which they like and I do mean let them enjoy themselves like you stated they pay there hard earned cash . as for coming to DJ at Yam Yam's your very welcome to and it's this sort of night like you stated you can play 45's which you normally won't get out your Box .. Etc

Yes you don't need the £1.000 45 there are tons and tons of cheap 45s which don't get a look in

it may be a case a DJ be playing to a full dance floor instead of an empty one if he puts on a 45 which the crowd don't know. Thanks for your support mate and We will sort a date out for you .

Social source share

Hiya Gaz

Very well said ! I didn't mean to offend Broadlane ,Jct 9 ,Goodyear's , Station Hotel , Connaught , as you know I'm resident at Both Connaught and Station Hotel it was like you said These are the places where they get good regularly crowds for the music what's played and like yourself at Broadlane which as been going for 3 years , I was trying to point out that people will go to venues which they like and I do mean let them enjoy themselves like you stated they pay there hard earned cash . as for coming to DJ at Yam Yam's your very welcome to and it's this sort of night like you stated you can play 45's which you normally won't get out your Box .. Etc

Yes you don't need the £1.000 45 there are tons and tons of cheap 45s which don't get a look in

it may be a case a DJ be playing to a full dance floor instead of an empty one if he puts on a 45 which the crowd don't know. Thanks for your support mate and We will sort a date out for you .

Chalkie no offence taken we all become frustrated when low numbers attend the venues we've worked hard at putting on not including time, effort, money etc we put in for very little return, As you mentioned Broadlane, Goodyears, J9 etc have been established for a few years now and people know what to expect from us. This is what you must do with your venue I dont need to tell you how to suck eggs you and Bill have been around the scene for as long as Gods dog. Just keep working at it mate get them adverts out there, get it on the radio etc and people will eventually come round and pay Yam Yams a visit and I'm sure if the music is right and to their liking they will be back. Looks a nice club in a good area probally cheap drinks sounds just right to me. Sorry I've not been able to support Yam Yams in the past but I will try to make it there asap other commitments allowing.

As I said previously if you need any help from me give us a call.

All the best mate.

Gaz

Social source share

It must have been when the old J11 crowd had it Tim :unsure: its not at all like that now, cos i would not attend if it were thats for sure!! biggrin.gif

YES IT PROBERBLY WAS HELAN BEST SPOT OF THAT NIGHT WAS MARK BICKNELL !

SORRY THE VENUE IS A BIT TO SMALL AND DIFFICULT TO GET TOO IMO,

WOLVO COULD HAVE A TOP VENUE IF EVERYONE PULLED TOGETHER, A NIGHT THAT CATERS FOR EVERYONE WITH A BIG CROWD !!!!!!!!!!!

BEST

T

Social source share

WOLVO COULD HAVE A TOP VENUE IF EVERYONE PULLED TOGETHER, A NIGHT THAT CATERS FOR EVERYONE WITH A BIG CROWD !!!!!!!!!!!

BEST

T

Are you sure you haven't got Brookfields mixed up with another place Tim unsure.gif because its a cracking sized venue, and even i could find me way there, cos its so easy to get to. :unsure:

JB xx

Social source share

WENT TO BROKFIELDS THEY WERE DANCING ROUND THERE HANDBAGS PINTS ON THE FLOOR BASIC MOTOWN

WHY THE AGGRESSION ITS AN OPINION

Tim we don't want to get this thread used as a slanging match, as others have posted Brookfields is far from 'Shite' to quote you, the present set up see's the venue split bi monthly with possibly one of the best allnighters in the country run from here by Lifeline. The other month which is only our 2nd at Brookfields is run by Max Millward and myself and I can assure you the 2 nights Max and I have run here so far have no way been aimed at your so called Motown handbagers.

Oh and by the way we do play oldies, crossover, newies, modern etc etc and as far as drinks are concerned they are not allowed on the dancefloor. You dont get Djs like Ted Massey, Kenny Onions, Chris Anderton, Pat Wallace, Shaun Barrett, Max Millward , Phil Richards etc etc just to name a few playing Motown all night, in fact you probally could count on one hand the number of Motown tracks that have been played here since we took over the soul nights.

So if you haven't been along lately your un-founded comments are not welcomed I would think most promoters out there would give their right arm to have the Brookfields Club to promote as one of their venues.

So come along and see what we are doing you may be suprised and even retract the comments you made earlier about the venue.

Gaz

Social source share

TO BE HONEST WHY BOTHER I SHALL LEAVE THIS TOPIC ALONE , ANNOYED AT THE ABUSE WHICH I DID NOT DESERVE OR PROVOKE :unsure:

IM STILL WAITING ..RICHARDS FOR AN APOLIGY. YOU STARTED THIS SLANGING MATCH

DONT TAKE OFFENCE GUYS JUST ITS THE VENUE I DONT PARTICULARLY LIKE .. NOT THE MUSIC AS I KNOW YOU LOT DO YOUR VERY BEST

Edited by TOAD
Social source share

BEST

T

Tim - Brookfield holds up to 400 people and is just 1/2mile from jnc 11 M6 on the A460 W'ton Rd there couldn't be any easier venue to find. There's a fabulous wooden dance floor big bar and even a balcony area for record sellers you sure you've been there?

Gaz

Social source share

Tim - Brookfield holds up to 400 people and is just 1/2mile from jnc 11 M6 on the A460 W'ton Rd there couldn't be any easier venue to find. There's a fabulous wooden dance floor big bar and even a balcony area for record sellers you sure you've been there?

Gaz

I think I know where Tim Means especially with Mark DJing , But also I recall Tim making a nice Comment on Here to Me when The Fabulous peps played at Brookfield's and Also when The Metro's didn't turn up ...... I think it was him ? so Tim may have gone to Brookfield's.

Not getting involved with this debate about Brookfield's Just wished we had the Number of post's on this thread Through the doors at Club Dudley last Friday :unsure:laugh.gif

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share