Royal Esquires - Ain't Gonna Run Scans & Info

Guest MattB

Heard this was booted, had a look for a topic on it but there were far too many to sift through.

Whats the crack with this then, released on pre but was it booted and how can you tell the difference?

Matt

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ok, so does that mean that all the copies that are out there are original?

The reason i ask is because there was someone selling them on ebay, $50 BIN and they had about ten copies so was just a little unsure.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Ok, so does that mean that all the copies that are out there are original?

The reason i ask is because there was someone selling them on ebay, $50 BIN and they had about ten copies so was just a little unsure.

Jesus , just shows you doesn't it, they are legit.mine cost a whole lot more than that :thumbsup:

Brett

Social source share

Jesus , just shows you doesn't it, they are legit.mine cost a whole lot more than that :thumbup:

Brett

It's the same with the Clara Hardy's, there is so many of them I would not be surprised if people mistakenly thought it a boot!

Some people paid a big money for copies of that, before the big batch turned up!

It's good that normal budget collectors can have a real chance of owning some of these previously, nearly unattainable originals.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Brett F

It's the same with the Clara Hardy's, there is so many of them I would not be surprised if people mistakenly thought it a boot!

Some people paid a big money for copies of that, before the big batch turned up!

It's good that normal budget collectors can have a real chance of owning some of these previously, nearly unattainable originals.

Yeah, couldn't agree more, i hasten to add that i paid three figures for mine, and i thought that i did very well ! :thumbup:

Social source share

I think that depending on the amount of time you had the record for while it was still exclusive would depend on whether the money that you paid for it was worth it.

I would still be gutted if i had paid over a 1000+ for a record that could be obtained for around £25 now.

Social source share

A shed load of originals turned up, seems a guy met the owners of the record label found other stuff on Prix, numbers are all the same on all the copies I have seen.

They are all darker !!other side is a corker aswell.

Social source share

and speaking of clara hardy turning up

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ME:B:SS:GB:1123

Social source share

Guest Brett F

They are all darker !!other side is a corker aswell.

I bought it for the "Our Love Use To Be" side. Far superior in my opinion.

Brett

Social source share

I bought it for the "Our Love Use To Be" side. Far superior in my opinion.

Brett

Hardly a dancer tho' Brett,both sides for me but AGR at a full on nighter :lol:

Social source share

as I have said - Whats the point of paying big money for a record when their are hundreds if not thoudsands out ther unless provenance can be given as regards distribution. :lol:

The only measure you can have of whether a record is rare or not is looking for the original invoice for batch numbers and cross referencing with distribution and even that doesnt guarantee the rarity 100 percent.

Social source share

The flip IS awesome. Had it a while ago, but remember it being more soulful than the a-side. If they are real they're worth that of anyone' money...

Yes too right Matt,paid three figures for mine in swaps i'm more than happy :lol: them dark ones look different not just the colour either are they stamped the same ?

Social source share

as I have said - Whats the point of paying big money for a record when their are hundreds if not thoudsands out ther unless provenance can be given as regards distribution. :lol:

The only measure you can have of whether a record is rare or not is looking for the original invoice for batch numbers and cross referencing with distribution and even that doesnt guarantee the rarity 100 percent.

And!!,some records you want some you can wait for........i mean its not that often i pay more than a tenner for a record what i save means i can go mad now and again laugh.gif

Social source share

Heard this was booted, had a look for a topic on it but there were far too many to sift through.

Whats the crack with this then, released on pre but was it booted and how can you tell the difference?

Matt

FOR THE UPTEEN TIME THIS HAS NOT BEEN BOOTED

Job lot of the PRIX label turned up/purchase of remaining stock, all titles in various quantities.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Job lot of the PRIX label turned up/purchase of remaining stock, all titles in various quantities.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant funky feet...................I feel your anger........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Might have been quantitys of second issue's,all titles in various quantities :lol:

My silver writing as silver squiggles where there are none on any of the darker ones.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Might have been quantitys of second issue's,all titles in various quantities :lol:

My silver writing as silver squiggles where there are none on any of the darker ones.

Ken there are different designs on most of the issues, Eddie Ray is a perfect example, some are local press others were done for national. Check out the different colour releases on Marion Black. Mark

Social source share

Ken there are different designs on most of the issues, Eddie Ray is a perfect example, some are local press others were done for national. Check out the different colour releases on Marion Black. Mark

Only muckin' about Funkyfeet,so mine is the rarer squiggly issue !! bonus !! :lol:

Social source share

A friend of mine found a used copy of the RE 45 years ago in Columbus and it's dark blue just like the find. If there's a different press, I'd really like to know. Copies have the script "Musicol" in the dead wax. Musicol was the operation that recorded and pressed the 45. The old studio log has the date June 13th 1969, which was either the recording date or the pressing date. The Soul Ensemble 45 on Prix/HSI was done at the same session. The copies on the market are 1969 pressings. It's possible there are two pressings within a few months, as there are with the Chandlers "Your Love Is Drawing Me Closer" (also recorded at Musicol). FWIW, I found the Soul Ensemble and Eddie Ray 45s years ago and they also match the quantity copies.

A different friend of mine interviewed one of the RE members on a local radio show and I THINK he said something like the group member had a messed up copy (off center?) that they had a hard time trying to play.

- George (Ohio music anorak)

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

A friend of mine found a used copy of the RE 45 years ago in Columbus and it's dark blue just like the find. If there's a different press, I'd really like to know. Copies have the script "Musicol" in the dead wax. Musicol was the operation that recorded and pressed the 45. The old studio log has the date June 13th 1969, which was either the recording date or the pressing date. The Soul Ensemble 45 on Prix/HSI was done at the same session. The copies on the market are 1969 pressings. It's possible there are two pressings within a few months, as there are with the Chandlers "Your Love Is Drawing Me Closer" (also recorded at Musicol). FWIW, I found the Soul Ensemble and Eddie Ray 45s years ago and they also match the quantity copies.

A different friend of mine interviewed one of the RE members on a local radio show and I THINK he said something like the group member had a messed up copy (off center?) that they had a hard time trying to play.

George, you could be quite right about a few months between presses, this happened a lot with small labels, first batch were local then if it caused a stir it was re-pressed for wider/national distribution.

All the copies of Royal Esquires 45's I have had have "Musicol" in the dead wax, so they are a 1969 press. Later 1970's PRIX releases didn't have this is the dead wax, just numbers. The Marion Black - Loaded went national (Green) label and was distributed by ROC-KER records and has virtue in the deadwax, the local PRIX label was Pink. The PRIX label didn't stick with one colour label, they came out on Royal Blue, Pink, Yellow, Red, Orange, Green, and Sky Blue. The Eddie Ray - You got me, came out local yellow label design and a different national yellow label design.

Social source share

there's a photo of the group in the prix compilation my friend's label put out -- George I can probably get you a scan if you need it

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert